Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rebuilt my crash-damaged Nissan and set it up for less mid-corner throttle-on understeer... inasmuch as you can "set up" a cheap DT-02 with just the kit supplied parts... 

DSC_2475.JPG

• Like 3

Yesterday evening I put electronics into the Dual Hunter and took it for a spin.

For a truck that I want to use as a  basher, the resulting ride was less then impressive..... :(
The 23T Carson motors that were included with the car are just very very bad. I think they were badly overloaded at the previous owner, because they had very dirty black commutators when the car came in which I cleaned up a bit, but the brushes are probably bad too. Overall speed was disappointing and a lot of speed difference between front and aft gearbox (maybe these motors have timing? Dunno..).

I also managed to hit a curb (I excel at that!), not even at full speed, and the servo saver broke and 1 servo mount pillar broke off with the piece of the chassis the mounting screw sits in and is now missing. I'll search for it at the end of the day when there is still some light.

Repair is easy enough, as the chassis is symmetrical and I can reverse the chassis and have a new point to mount the servo pillar, if I can find it. Maybe I can even find a way to mount the metal DT-03 servo mount I still have somewhere, or 3D print something better that mounts at both sides. That would greatly improve things.
I also have 2 as-new silvercans left over, and 1 metal servo saver horn, so I'll use those for now.
It also needs a good battery tray to mount the lipos I have, which are plain rectangular ones not stickpack-type and this chassis is made for stick-pack only. I have those on order, hopefully they will arrive in 3 weeks time.

So, some TLC for now, suck up the shame, and improvements and upgrades to follow. To be continued!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 3:56 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

Managed to get for 30€ a TBLE01S esc and a TBLM01 8T motor.

brushless-esc-01-tble-01s.jpg

Dont have a chassis for it yet. But I love it! I was looking for a tble01 recently & could only find it with a motor for hundreds. Nice buy 👍

That’s really cheap! 

44 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

...,or 3D print something better that mounts at both sides..

One of the guys on here did exactly that

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SK6JQBKSY/wt01-wr01-servo-mount

The servo mounts are a weak spot, there are ali replacements out there too.

Hope you get it sorted, I like mine (got it for my 4.5 yr old) but they aren't the most loved trucks on here. More popular with bigger shocks and shock tower extensions.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

One of the guys on here did exactly that

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SK6JQBKSY/wt01-wr01-servo-mount

The servo mounts are a weak spot, there are ali replacements out there too.

Hope you get it sorted, I like mine (got it for my 4.5 yr old) but they aren't the most loved trucks on here. More popular with bigger shocks and shock tower extensions.

Ah, saves me the trouble, Thanks! ^_^

2 hours ago, J@mes said:

That’s really cheap! 

The guy who sold me this on ebay, said he is switching to the crawler scene. So he had no use for it, also a Durango short course truck with speed passion electrics was for sale for him for a bargain.

as for today...

went with my wife and kid to a playground next to our local “track”, they played with other kids and Moms, while I was tearing the rubber off the front tires on my M03.

I have a few sets of M chassis tires comming, so I am not worrying to much.

20i9nh2.jpg

And as for yesterday... me and my buddy went on with his project if 1:10 lexan bodies.

our first test body will be a ABplastics BMW M3 E46 with liberty walk fenders. Here is what we did yesterday. This is still a concept, we have plans for a all on 1 box or something similar, will actually try a lexan sheet by the end of the week. To see how it works.

142xap3.jpg

2rf4lzn.jpg

21nr6dc.jpg

after we made that mold from the BMW, after cleaning it can be used as normal. 

If this works out good, we will make also a M chassis Mini Cooper and a Nissan Silvia M06.

I am not a fan of home made copies from finished bodies. But I like to se a bice shiny mold, I even thought to add color to the mold and make it a sculpture for my living room. If love to see a blueish mramor looking mold of a Mini cooper :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

PS-43 is not a very imaginative name for a paint colour. I am going to rename it ‘smokers ceiling’

Nicotine orange

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Replaced the Johnson silver can in Frankstein Big Bear with a 35T Absima motor. It was too fast with the can so more turns should slow it down a bit.

Also placed one of the cheap ESCs in it, So it starts resembling a working car again. Still need a receiver and a body.

ZIbT9lQ.jpg

Edit: Combined with another hardly used johnson can I still had, I now have a nice pair that can go into the Dual Hunter. They have the same current draw and the same pitch when connected to a bench power supply, so should be OK with minimum speed difference.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Replaced the Johnson silver can in Frankstein Big Bear with...

ZIbT9lQ.jpg

I rarely like Big Bears with non-orig tires but yours look very, very nice.

Do you think you can take a comparison picture of the original tire and the ones you mounted? I would like to check the size difference. I'm sure that would help other people working these fantastic RC trucks.

Oh, and keep up the good work ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J@mes said:

PS-43 is not a very imaginative name for a paint colour. I am going to rename it ‘smokers ceiling’

Nicotine orange

Looks more like Ghost Carrot to me. I'm pretty sure it isn't Clockwork Orange :o

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-PCS said:

Looks more like Ghost Carrot to me. I'm pretty sure it isn't Clockwork Orange :o

Also good names... Mine was more appropriate after the 1st coat, 3 or 4 coats in the photo and ghost carrot it is. It’ll calm down when I put some opaque paint on, hopefully. there might be a bit of black overspray on the front... 

This evenings work saw the BD get it’s red shocks & original bumper back, the blue ones off the rising fighter we’re not as good & the Blackfoot bumper wont do much in a head on collision. Had to flip the bumper bracket due to (previous owner) damage to the radius arm fixing. Consequently the original bumper wouldn’t fit so I used bushings as spacers instead of cutting the part. Best use for those bushings I’ve found yet. Also did a bunch of other minor improvements I won’t bore you with. 

https://flic.kr/p/SHmkJw

while doing some prints for a customer on silver vinyl, I thought I try out some light buckets and other decals as a test. I need to tidy up the artwork, but I'm happy with the results.

silver-test-prints-3.jpg

silver-test-prints-2.jpg

silver-test-prints-1.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Replaced the Johnson silver can in Frankstein Big Bear with a 35T Absima motor. It was too fast with the can so more turns should slow it down a bit.

Also placed one of the cheap ESCs in it, So it starts resembling a working car again. Still need a receiver and a body.

ZIbT9lQ.jpg

Edit: Combined with another hardly used johnson can I still had, I now have a nice pair that can go into the Dual Hunter. They have the same current draw and the same pitch when connected to a bench power supply, so should be OK with minimum speed difference.

agreed, those tires look good, what brand are they?

• Like 1

Got my, I mean my sons, tank chassis working.  The crimping tool arrived so I was able to connect the ESC's to the motors and swap connectors on a Y lead to work as the battery lead.  My dog isn't impressed, its pretty noisy.  Its currently working on both sticks, next step is to work out the V tail thing so I can, I mean my son can, drive it with 1 stick and control the turret servos with the other.

• Like 4

Ok so turns out it was the easiest thing in the world.  Literally just plug the ESC's into Channel 1 and 2 on the rx then turn on the Elevon function.

I wish everything was this easy.  I'm waiting for something to go horribly wrong now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Took the WR-01 I had purchased last year without a body and added the chrome wheels, Double Blaze body and decals. Those decals......a pain to apply :(

DJjJ0b6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

ZIbT9lQ.jpg

Is there a Build thread for this truck?

4 hours ago, S-PCS said:

Ghost carrot made me laugh. We had a tv campaign a few years ago which was about drinking and driving, and there was a classic line about ghost chips. Funnily enough I was out for dinner last night and a local brewer, 8 Wired brewing, makes a 1% beer called ghost chips so I had to try it. I try every low alcohol beer I find and this one is at the top of the list. Ghosts are everywhere.

Once again I've contributed nothing!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I rarely like Big Bears with non-orig tires but yours look very, very nice.

Do you think you can take a comparison picture of the original tire and the ones you mounted? I would like to check the size difference. I'm sure that would help other people working these fantastic RC trucks.

Thanks!
These tires are a little wider and higher compared to original.

These 130mm diameter and 70mm wide. Original I believe something like 110mm by 70mm.

But I'll dig out the originals and put a picture in a build thread since more persons are interested in this.

8 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

agreed, those tires look good, what brand are they?

Aliexpress Brand xxxxxx. The same type as shown here in the last post of the page:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39344-the-postman-brought-me-thread/&page=515

5 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Is there a Build thread for this truck?

No, but I'll make one and put it in the Marui section. Maybe this weekend if time permits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was yesterday morning rather than this morning but I didn’t get a chance to take a pic.

Definite progress with the M04 and last night I retrieved some used TL01 kingpins to fit today.

DBFC335B-995E-49B5-BDAC-EED7F5865D4C.jpg

It really needs some dampers and I have some to build.

2019 is going well for me so far - two months, two chassis builds.

• Like 4