Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

When I would replace it, it would definately be a iPhone 7. Its the closest one to the size of the 5series. And battey is much better. Matter fact the iPhone 7+ has the biggest battey of all. 

I'm with you on that! My first and only to date iPhone is a 7. I couldn't see any benefit in an iPhone 8: maybe a faster processor, but I only use it to phone (surprise!) so don't need a bigger + screen. I've got two iPad Pro's (a 10.5" and a 12.9") for running Apps on!

• Like 1

Tinkered with the Wild One last night, swapped tyres and reassembled the parts I had removed.

I’ve chosen the spiked tyres on gold rims for show and the Dirt 540 motor for go.

I’m going to put it in the shelf now as I can’t do anymore until I’ve learnt to solder.

My plan is to bring down the LB and reassemble that one next. 

• Like 1

Took my avante black special out of the cupboard because it and all of my rc's are going in storage for a few months or so because of major house renovations🤯 the thing is this is why I would never buy a mint boxes classic because it would just pain me not to build it and EVERY time I look at my avante BS I want to build it and I've just decided that when the renovations are finished I'm building it🤔.........definitely!

• Like 4

On 3/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Running a Hobbywing 10BL120 120a ESC with 6V @ 3amp. Servo is a Trackstar Digital. 4.8-6.0v. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-ts-621mg-digital-1-8-scale-truggy-steering-servo-21-2kg-0-14sec-57g.html

What's a glitch buster? I suspect it's just me trying to use AM radios.

The motor is amazing by the way. Absolute torque monster!

A glitch buster is a capacitor that you plug into your receiver.  It'll charge up and provide additional power on demand quicker than what the BEC can pull from the battery.  This is usually only needed with a sub-par BEC or when a servo (maybe multiple servos) pull large current suddenly.  Your ESC is a good one and your servo doesn't look to be overly taxing.  It's probably not your issue but you can make one easily and cheaply enough.  Even buying one is like $7 so it might be worth it to add one in.

I'm glad that you're pleased with the motor.  It is a beast, that's for sure!

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-recever-glitch-buster-for-1/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just shorted and destroyed one of shorty lipos by accidentally lugging it in the wrong way. Grrrrrr. 

Not the first time someone's done that!  I had a buddy back in TX that killed his ESC doing exactly the same thing.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

Not the first time someone's done that!  I had a buddy back in TX that killed his ESC doing exactly the same thing.

Fingers crossed for the ESC. That will be a very expensive mistake if I have done that. 

Collected from work most of the Soldering kit to enable me to put new connectors on 2 ESC that I have put into the boys traxxaas bashers so they can run the 8.4V NiMh rather than just the Tamiya 7.2 packs.

• Like 2

After 1 month of waiting finally the parts that I need arrive for my grasshopper/ trf201 zahhak fusion car, it is finished now.

I am post more pictures on a thread for it.

IMG_7091.JPG

• Like 5

This is the WO I have been tinkering with for the last few days, I need to sort out the motor leads and ESC plug then then we have a runner.

I have set of standard wheels and tyres to run it with, these gold wheels will be for the shelf 👍

8F5F4D2A-1D4C-48E0-8B28-F4C98B8D0F92.jpeg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just shorted and destroyed one of shorty lipos by accidentally lugging it in the wrong way. Grrrrrr. 

I've done something similar changing from a Tamiya plug to a Deans plug on a battery.  Took my snips to both wires at the same time.  That did it!

Slight change of plan I’ve bought the Sand Scorcher down so that I can choose wheels and tyres and tinker with this one for a bit 👍

• Like 1

today my blue locknuts came in. j just installed them and, even if its a minor touchup, it looks pretty alright to me.20190326_155138.thumb.jpg.a89795487510cea1c5435b7c9f534dce.jpg

i have no idea why the picture is upside down when i took it the right way up...oh well. consider it the anti gravity alfa or that its got too much downforce (i wish)...

so what have you done today?

I cleaned up my Heavy Dump Truck after a run on the beach yesterday, thanks goes to @dannymulder for a tip I read about using a paint brush. I wouldn’t of thought of that & it worked a treat. I took my King Blackfoot out for some night driving with the new lights fitted. Lights are awesome. With a fresh battery and a 540 motor the KBF seems quite fast... at night, to a novice :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Nuts. Hope you haven’t hurt yourself. It was hard to see the + & - on my Lipo so I put a dap of red paint on the + to help see it. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

Yep, a mate did that at my place not long ago. Turned up to run the Tamiya class in my backyard and the first thing he did was let the smoke out of his ESC. Luckily a TBLE-02S but it ruined the planned backyard races. I plan to use that ESC to make a trophy.

• Like 2

I clicked like for the trophy, not the fried ESC.  I'm a big fan of novelty trophies, we build our own for bowls and golf days and they always get a laugh and look great on the shelf.  Construct with wood, rivet on a plaque for engraving the winners each year and just bolt on anything relevant or irrelevant.....  One of our's is called "The R'Ardon Perpetual Trophy for Continued Excellence and Outstanding Contribution to Football in Western Australia Trophy"...... so give it a stupid name also, it adds to the fun !  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I clicked like for the trophy, not the fried ESC.  I'm a big fan of novelty trophies, we build our own for bowls and golf days and they always get a laugh and look great on the shelf.  Construct with wood, rivet on a plaque for engraving the winners each year and just bolt on anything relevant or irrelevant.....  One of our's is called "The R'Ardon Perpetual Trophy for Continued Excellence and Outstanding Contribution to Football in Western Australia Trophy"...... so give it a stupid name also, it adds to the fun !  

Haha love it. Thats pretty much the idea for this one, something like the Mangere Bridge Backyard Tamiya World Championship. 

On a related note, timing systems are silly cheap now, they are so tempting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

This happened to me once, then the lipo puffed and the esc caught on fire so then I had a rc car on fire this was in my hobby room so I wrapped the car in a blanket and trow it out of the window.

The house smelled for days chemical.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I've done something similar changing from a Tamiya plug to a Deans plug on a battery.  Took my snips to both wires at the same time.  That did it!

This happened to me once, also changing to dean plug, and while cutting the Tamiya plug, I acidentally caught like 2mm of the other wire, enormous smoke cloud in a second. Battery is alive nothing happend. It was a 3s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannymulder said:

This happened to me once, then the lipo puffed and the esc caught on fire so then I had a rc car on fire this was in my hobby room so I wrapped the car in a blanket and trow it out of the window.

The house smelled for days chemical.

Similar but not quite so bad. I hooked up the ESC to another battery and there was a flash flame as the ESC capacitors discharged but everything settled down. Reverse seems to be gone, but otherwise it still seems to work OK so I will leave it for now and run a pack through it make sure it's OK. I can see it being retired to one of my lighter runners. 

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nuts. Hope you haven’t hurt yourself. It was hard to see the + & - on my Lipo so I put a dap of red paint on the + to help see it. 

All good. The plugs are quite clearly marked. I was rushing to get a run in before work. Luckily the battery plugs still worked and I had my charger with me so I discharged under my desk and it's now in a bucket of salt water. No major harm done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Haha love it. Thats pretty much the idea for this one, something like the Mangere Bridge Backyard Tamiya World Championship. 

On a related note, timing systems are silly cheap now, they are so tempting.

Mangere Bridge.... Now that's a spin out for me !  I lived in Hillsborough for a while and crossed that bridge every day, working in Manukau.  I was the only Aussie that anyone had ever met (if they had not been to Australia)... so my nickname of course was  "Aussie"  B)

How about - "The J Gillham Perpetual Trophy for Continued Excellence and Outstanding Contribution to Radio Control Buggies of Mangare Bridge and Surrounds Trophy"