Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fitted some 80mm shocks to my rally/basher TT02:
ezVC2Or.jpg

Versus touring TT02:
HIQkf6w.jpg

Hopefully will get a chance to run it tomorrow when there's daylight and dry ground :)

• Like 6

The past few days I've been prepping my Sand Scorcher body for a repaint.  I changed my mind on the color scheme so I wet sanded it, primed it, and got the first color on the sides done.  I'm glad I decided to do this because my prep job came out better this time and the paint is going on smoother, although I will end up color sanding and clear coating it anyway.

47442299052_670e2f70bd.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

The past few days I've been prepping my Sand Scorcher body for a repaint.  I changed my mind on the color scheme so I wet sanded it, primed it, and got the first color on the sides done.  I'm glad I decided to do this because my prep job came out better this time and the paint is going on smoother, although I will end up color sanding and clear coating it anyway.

47442299052_670e2f70bd.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Very retro, I like it.

I took today a couple of hours.

swapped my M03 black XB chassis for a silver chassis.

enjoyed it very much. Also swapped in a reinforced gear diff.

0-D7172-F4-C83-E-48-E4-91-D6-80-A8-AC105

45-A050-BA-E44-E-4978-B664-56949-CA1862-

1991-F1-F6-6-BEB-4-C03-B42-B-BDFB1195-B3

This Mini is my new runner shell. 

I now... almost.. have a M03 and M05 out of spares and cant wait to build them. The M05 will have yeah racing upgrades. Both will have speed gears. Both could be up for sale then. But not in a near future. Starting my quadcopter build should be next on priority list. :)

• Like 8

I’ve bought a variety of paint pens so I can do the tyre lettering.

My 1st attempt was poor, so new tools, lots of practice and a bucket load of patience is the way forward 💥

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’ve bought a variety of paint pens so I can do the tyre lettering.

My 1st attempt was poor, so new tools, lots of practice and a bucket load of patience is the way forward 💥

I've did the same (bought different tipped paint pens) I was pretty good at doing tyre lettering and then all of a sudden I got really bad so I thought "these pens are getting really rubbish" (putting it politely)  but then I quickly realised it wasn't the pens it was me and kinda getting old and blind🤦‍♂️🙄

• Haha 2

Took my rebuilt Nikko Dandy Dash out for a drive but the 16T motor gave up the ghost after about 5 minutes :lol:

The motor was old and I have no idea of its internal condition. Also, I believe you're supposed to use a 12T pinion with a motor that fast instead of the stock 16T which might have had something to do with it.

I guess using a 2s lipo meant the motor had unlimited rope to hang itself with too lol.

It was fast while it lasted though!

Might slip a brushless in there, maybe a 3000KV finned motor so it doesn't destroy the gears but still runs cooler than something like that 16T brushed jobby. Could have fried an egg on it afterwards!

• Like 2

Finally had the Clod body for my Bullhead sanded down enough for primer and paint. It wasa used body and at some point dark red, then blue. So layer upon layer cased a lot of work to get decent.

Primed white:

sXtKCxA.jpg

And started TS-51 racing metallic blue:

6IdzgoE.jpg

Some accidents present, too thick causing sags in the paint. Leave it  to dry overnight so I can sand those spots tomorrow and continue. ^_^

• Like 9

Went to see a genuine 959 in order to build up some pressure on Tamiya. I figure it'll speed up the 959 re-re decision if they fear they're going to lose customers to the 1:1 if they don't do the 1:12 soon. 

Yeah... Just oh so very slightly unlikely, but do you have a better idea? 

DSC_2678.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Stripped down the Rough Rider wheels I bought sometime ago, they are now ready to clean and refurbish for my Sand Scorcher 👍

• Like 2

Took my Egress out for its first run in the garden. I'm glad I went away from the high power brushless motor and ESC that I originally fitted, it's plenty fast enough with a BZ, 1080 ESC and 2S lipo. 

I shall put the brushless set-up in my Cat K2 where the power can be handled better!

Anyway, the undertray of the Egress is all scratched up, everything is covered in dust and the body has the odd mark, but I couldn't be happier, this thing is awesome.

CI3A9327.thumb.jpg.1d4e97c3503f29b83d1c4fdc6869a690.jpg

• Like 7

Earlier I fitted a tiny brushless outrunner to my Lunchbox with a view to reducing unsprung mass. The motor is the stock motor for the Feiyue FY06 and FY07. It's approx 3000KV and very small and light. About the same size as a brushed 380 motor.

FEIYUE-FY-06-6X6-DESERT-EAGLE-Brushless-Motor-1-12-_57.thumb.jpg.42a03af59e2d27cc868bb002436fbaea.jpg

I was able to fit it by using the 380 motor plate that comes with the Grasshopper. With any other vehicle, using the Grasshopper adapter would have meant a change of gearing but because the Lunchbox already has an offset motor plate to reduce gearing as stock it meant nothing changed apart from being able to use a smaller motor with mounting holes 16mm apart rather than 25mm. The Lunchbox has a 10T pinion and when using the 380 adapter, the Grasshopper is 10T also.

The tiny motor worked amazingly well! The only negative is a slight tendency to cog if you try to make a minimum RPM hill start but that's a non issue with this truck. Overall it had fantastic power across the entire rev range, runs very cool, gives great run times and sounds futuristic and cool (it's essentially a drone motor).

Really very impressive, it's a credit to brushless technology and the outrunner design that such a puny motor can be so effective.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, S-PCS said:

Went to see a genuine 959 in order to build up some pressure on Tamiya. I figure it'll speed up the 959 re-re decision if they fear they're going to lose customers to the 1:1 if they don't do the 1:12 soon. 

Yeah... Just oh so very slightly unlikely, but do you have a better idea? 

DSC_2678.JPG

Isn't that one cool looking piece of engineering perfection😍 how many super cars get away with being jacked up and probably look better than the actual original car? TAMIYA take note!!!! Out of interest were is that?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moffman said:

Isn't that one cool looking piece of engineering perfection😍 how many super cars get away with being jacked up and probably look better than the actual original car? TAMIYA take note!!!! Out of interest were is that?

Exactly :D While I took this pic, a bunch of kids walked past commenting on how "very wrong" the car looks. Goes to prove that kids still need to learn a lot. 

This 959 is currently on display at the Porsche museum in Zuffenhausen, Germany, and there's also a "street" 959 three cars down. 

I'm pretty sure the Paris-Dakar 959 is not on permanent display, seems like they rotate out their exhibits all the time. I first saw this car at the old Porsche museum when it was still covered in Sahara dust back in the eighties, but never again after that - until yesterday. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, S-PCS said:

I'm pretty sure the Paris-Dakar 959 is not on permanent display, seems like they rotate out their exhibits all the time. I first saw this car at the old Porsche museum when it was still covered in Sahara dust back in the eighties, but never again after that - until yesterday. 

They have at least two, when I was there last August BB PW 742 was on display, the actual car the Tamiya model is based on:

real-959-porsche-museum-aug-2018.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Truck Norris said:

They have at least two, when I was there last August BB PW 742 was on display, the actual car the Tamiya model is based on:

real-959-porsche-museum-aug-2018.jpg

Oh, lucky you, that's the one I really wanted to see! The museum's on display-to-in storage ratio is something like 1:10 I think, they have far, far more cars than they actually put on display. Basically you get to see something new every time. There was a dedicated Paris-Dakar exhibition on some time ago where they showed (I believe) both 959s and the back-up 959 - plus their Mercedes G-based, Porsche V-8 powered service vehicle... would have loved to see that. 

Small potatoes but in between 1001 family demands I scrubbed my Rough Rider wheels and tyres, they look decent, keepers for sure. 

Another day I’ll put the screws and nuts  through the sonic cleaner and then they can go back together ready for some tyre lettering action, 

Took my Manta Ray apart and gave it a thorough cleanup after running it on really dusty... well, dust. I think I found the dustiest spot on earth and poor Manta Ray got well and truly dusted. 

It's clean now, but it's still a Manta Ray, and that frustrates me to no end. Such a mean looking chassis, and then you put that strange Star Wars submarine shell on it. I think I should get a Top Force runner. 

DSC_2685.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, S-PCS said:

It's clean now, but it's still a Manta Ray, and that frustrates me to no end. Such a mean looking chassis, and then you put that strange Star Wars submarine shell on it. I think I should get a Top Force runner. 

Put a blazing star body on it. That already looks a lot better compared to the manta ray. I had a ray too many years ago but am very happy with my blazing star when it comes to looks. ^_^

Met a guy in the boozer with 30 Tamiya’s in his loft. Lives in my road. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, S-PCS said:

Exactly :D While I took this pic, a bunch of kids walked past commenting on how "very wrong" the car looks. Goes to prove that kids still need to learn a lot. 

This 959 is currently on display at the Porsche museum in Zuffenhausen, Germany, and there's also a "street" 959 three cars down. 

Back in 1985/86? My mother (God rest her soul) was a doctor out Mauritania (think that's right from what I can remember?) And Saudi Arabia and she was a bit of a photographer wannabe and obviously knew I was car mad and seen these 959's parked up in a local village(probably on a overnight stop) and took photos of them together with this thing called a DAF push me pull me! 

a4caa1643e8580a5868d16c5cf220b2e.jpg

• Like 2

Found out that only ONE 959 in rally configuration ever came up for sale since 1985 - one of seven built, out of which six survive, four of them at the Porsche museum. 

The car that was sold in late October 2018 is one of three that unsuccessfully ran Paris-Dakar in 1985, the year before Porsche actually won. 

Jeez, it sold for $5.95 million. I'm going to have to wait for the re-re. Just imagine what the 1986 winner's car would go for. 

• Like 1