Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today I repeatedly popped the rear CVD (motor side) out of my 2016 BlackFoot... so after a short while and getting in a huff with my new to me RC I quit driving it - still in a huff ;)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

What’s missing from the kit? Do you need to order rubber or metal shielded? I’ll need to get mine for the summer. Also going for the Bigfoot 18 scheme after watching the record jump with the boy.

Another TC member told me the bearing kits are the same, TXT-1 and TXT-2, the TXT-1 kit includes extra bearings for the cantilever suspension. I just went for the metal shielded bearings. I think they run a bit more freely than rubber shielded. I usually give my cars a good clean after running and a squirt of fresh oil on exposed bearings, around the hubs and out drives. On the TXT-2 the solid axles and massive tyres mean the bearings are up out the way of most crud.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter_B said:

A Bigfoot 18 style TXT-2?

Something like this? :)

KnusaIj3DF_biiM_7NuZ_sCLayb1hDxwD4YZ7lvu

Absolutely like that, those shocks look so pretty. Need some more funds before I go there.

This is the inspiration:

image.thumb.png.864c40e90ff773399eee342eea6ef93b.png

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bromley said:

Absolutely like that, those shocks look so pretty. Need some more funds before I go there.

This is the inspiration:

image.thumb.png.864c40e90ff773399eee342eea6ef93b.png

Tamiyausa have those shocks on special still. 80usd free shipping(though I don't know your location).

Also, TXT-1 wheels at 21 per 2

Went racing, broke nothing. I must be getting better. That, and Proline tires. What a difference they make. 

• Like 3

Placed my first order with Banzai Hobby, for some steering link parts for my recent Lazer ZX acquisition.

The parts, plus shipping from Japan, total less than half the cost of the part sprue alone here in the UK. Actually the total cost is also less than just the shipping cost in the UK.

So worth a punt as I don't need them in a rush.

• Like 2

Took the Heavy Dump Truck bashing. It was a hoot, minor incidents were 1 rear tyre came off & the LED light cable snapped. Car park, skate park & kerb all left their mark but this thing is tough!

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 3:29 AM, Jason1145 said:

Hope you do a build thread on the Brat, you'll have great fun painting 3 bodies, what colours are the two Brats going to be? ( I'm about to download that manual to check out body post locations and parts compared to the BF)

It is a bit of a labour of love painting body shells but it’s great when they turn out well. Not sure what colours yet. I’ve had a green & silver plan in mind for the Buggy champ to use as a runner, maybe a concoction of various left over paints I have for the Brat Lexan shell and either a Teal Green or a dark metallic grey/ gun metal for the hard Brat body. Nothing set in concrete yet and not a lot of spare time in the foreseeable future but I’m not in a rush so you may have time to learn another language before a build thread 🤣

I’m currently on a road trip with family at the mo otherwise I’d get a photo together for you of the difference between the Blackfoot and Brat body posts 👍🏻

• Like 2

Finally got my driveshaft installed in the beetle and put the factory wheels/tires back on. Gonna try and get the body masked tomorrow if the weather holds i may get the first coat on.

2019-04-08_12-23-23

• Like 4

I bought a magnifying glass with a stand to help me with the tyre lettering.

Also a HCT to replace the one I sold, I can’t afford a Willy’s Wheeler so this will be as close as I get to one.

Spent a marvellous 40 minutes running a whole 5300mah pack through this

IMG-20190408-WA0006

It was - as always - completely brilliant. I really am wondering why I am bothering wrestling with my kid motor buggy! Wondering about treating it to a nice new body without all the random holes in for other buggies like this one his (it started life as a cool different shell for my DT03). 

As a nice aside, as it is now wearing a full set of aeration dampers alongside all the other hop ups I already fitted, I think I can now officially call it a TRF201. 

• Like 6

Started  doing small things for the XV-01 till the rest of my parts arrive, like cleaning and such then i got my universal shaftsbuilt :)

20190408_141403

• Like 3

Put some ads online to sell the Rising Fighter and Blazing Star. I don't use those much as trucks is more my thing.
If a good price is offered, I'll have some shelf space again. :lol:

And tomorrow, I'll pick up a used M-05 chassis to go with a Mini Cooper body I purchased. Not a truck but I'll paint it like the real Cooper I owned some years ago. :wub:

• Like 1

Finished trimming my Pro-Line Silverado shell. I started it quite a while ago. I was hoping to paint it on Friday but it still isn’t that warm and I don’t have any heating in my garage.

Started trimming my Asterion shell. So flimsy after the Chevy. I haven’t made such a good job of the rear arches... some sanding to do...

• Like 1

With it being school holidays and my boys asking if we can go "monster truck racing" I set about doing a few bits and pieces.

First was to swap a SkyRC SCT motor into my TXT-2, in place of the Speed Passion 13.5T MMM motor that was in it.

Pulling the TXT out of its storage box I found an unexpected issue - the hopup shocks had decided to drop their oil out of the reservoirs - all 8 of them!

They came to me already built so I'll have to strip them down and check all the seals etc.

In the meantime, I happened to have another set ready built so I swapped those in until I can look at the others.

With that problem sorted for now I could get on with swapping the motor.

Pulled the old motor out, desoldered the connections and soldered them to the new motor. Putting the transmission back together I thought it best to test the motor before wrangling the transmission back into the chassis.

Second unforeseen problem of the night - the motor works but the transmission sounds like a bag of spanners.

The motor on its own sounds fine, I checked the pinion mesh and that seems fine. I think the problem is that the new motor has a longer shaft and is possibly binding on the back case of the transmission.

So now I need to look for a way to space the motor back a few mm.

Current best idea is to double up the motor mount plate, that would give me about 2mm which might be enough.

So the TXT is back in its box whilst I decide what to do.

• Like 1

Painted my egress today. I used tamiya bright silver backed by white then black. I think it came out pretty good. I am waiting on the tamiya window tint. Stickers should be fun and interesting to do

D93BEE0B-5CF5-42BA-9C84-9FCBA61302AC.jpeg

DC733F8D-6F70-4A8C-902B-2544E95151F1.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Finished trimming my Pro-Line Silverado shell. I started it quite a while ago. I was hoping to paint it on Friday but it still isn’t that warm and I don’t have any heating in my garage.

Started trimming my Asterion shell. So flimsy after the Chevy. I haven’t made such a good job of the rear arches... some sanding to do...

And fitted metal clamp type hexes to my M04 2002. Just as well, one of the front plastic hexes was broken!

The car had taken a knock and the servo savers was loose. No problem, I thought. Rather than just try to tighten it back up again I went for a heavy duty servo saver from my stash. Wrong choice, there’s a reason why the M04 isn’t listed on the packet! Now have an M04 in bits.

Suggestions for an M04 servo saver anyone...?

7 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Suggestions for an M04 servo saver anyone...?

Stock one with a metal spring from the high torque one placed around it to stiffen it up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stopped in at the LHS and got some 3.97mm brass tube. This is to reinforce the TT02B front arms. I've drilled out the holes in the arms to accept the brass tube as a sleeve which the u shaped pin thing goes in. Also cut the plastic tabs odf the underntray part that go into the chassis and use more brass tube, so it should be much stronger. I hope. Also grabbed some Shimuzi 543 front and 549 rears for the new F103. The tyres it came with look fine but I bet they are really brittle.

The store owner also knew the collector whose collection was being sold off at the weekend. Apparently the guy was only in his 50s and got bone cancer which is really sad. It looks like the person they got to value it didn't really know what they were doing, hes already had some cars in which were overpriced and need work, and it looks like a lot were underpriced.

Also found out that you can buy replacement antennas for 2.4ghz receivers for a few dollars each, delivered. Who knew. Got one on the way, hopefully it fixes Jamie's rx that had its antenna ripped out on Sunday, much cheaper than a new rx

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter_B said:

With it being school holidays and my boys asking if we can go "monster truck racing" I set about doing a few bits and pieces.

First was to swap a SkyRC SCT motor into my TXT-2, in place of the Speed Passion 13.5T MMM motor that was in it.

Pulling the TXT out of its storage box I found an unexpected issue - the hopup shocks had decided to drop their oil out of the reservoirs - all 8 of them!

They came to me already built so I'll have to strip them down and check all the seals etc.

In the meantime, I happened to have another set ready built so I swapped those in until I can look at the others.

With that problem sorted for now I could get on with swapping the motor.

Pulled the old motor out, desoldered the connections and soldered them to the new motor. Putting the transmission back together I thought it best to test the motor before wrangling the transmission back into the chassis.

Second unforeseen problem of the night - the motor works but the transmission sounds like a bag of spanners.

The motor on its own sounds fine, I checked the pinion mesh and that seems fine. I think the problem is that the new motor has a longer shaft and is possibly binding on the back case of the transmission.

So now I need to look for a way to space the motor back a few mm.

Current best idea is to double up the motor mount plate, that would give me about 2mm which might be enough.

So the TXT is back in its box whilst I decide what to do.

You could also add some washers between the motor and plate for more depth. Bad luck on the dampers, sounds a right mess ;)

24 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

You could also add some washers between the motor and plate for more depth. Bad luck on the dampers, sounds a right mess ;)

I thought about washers, but then that would leave a gap for dirt to get in. Doubling up the motor mount plate seems the simplest option.

The dampers leaking was a pain. But I have no idea how long they've been assembled so it could just be old seals. Or, as it was all 8, perhaps they were built wrong.

• Like 1

Just realised that the 60D tyres and foams I have been waiting for from a recent order I already have from a Lowride Pumpkin bodyset I bought a while back. D’oh!!!!

On the plus side, I can finish the Giulia chassis now...and then trim the body.

• Haha 1

After 2 weeks without any time for rc stuff, today I start building my new cc-01 toyota fj cruiser black special, for  1.5 hour, then I went to the beach and bashed my gf-01 dump truck for 1 hour until the rear dogbone broke.

The rear dogbones I am going to replace them with hpi bullet ones, my wt-01 truck had the same problem breaking the stock tamiya dogbones they are to weak for brushless power, the hpi ones are much stronger.

I love this little dump truck Its fun to drive, I am impressed with the castle motor that I have in it,with 5700kv and with the dumptruck weight of 2 kilogram running grippy proline badlands tires in the soft sand I tought it wil run hot, but its stays very cool the highest temp was 38 degrees celcius,and got very long runtimes to, it is much better then my cheap  brushless motors,and a little better then my hobbywing ones.

• Like 1