Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just ordered 2 steel pinions for my TXT-2.

Sorry Tamiya, but talk about cheaping out on aluminium pinions...Oh well, I'll have some nice little hop up bags to open.B)

• Like 2

Following @SurreyDad's post about different tyre weights in his excellent M-07 build thread, I had a look at the two pairs of tyres I received as part of a Lowride Pumpkin package. Both sets came in identical blue bags, they have the same numbering on the sidewall - 42214 39244 - and weigh the same (though the cheapo kitchen scales are not accurate as they reckon they are 10g).

I somehow doubt that I have a pair of the super grip tyres the Pumpkin was meant to come with :mellow:

• Like 1

Soldered XT60 plugs to 4 ESCs.  

I soldered wrong a few times before.  Since then I mark all the "+" sides with a red sharpie.  It's easier to plug too.   

7THwfoz.jpg

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Following @SurreyDad's post about different tyre weights in his excellent M-07 build thread, I had a look at the two pairs of tyres I received as part of a Lowride Pumpkin package. Both sets came in identical blue bags, they have the same numbering on the sidewall - 42214 39244 - and weigh the same (though the cheapo kitchen scales are not accurate as they reckon they are 10g).

I somehow doubt that I have a pair of the super grip tyres the Pumpkin was meant to come with :mellow:

Hi @Badcrumble, I have just checked and my original tyres have 42214-39244 on the sidewalls and these are the - Tamiya M-Chassis 60D Radial Tires # 50683.

I'm not sure how accurate my scales are (also cheapo kitchen scales) but the weight showed as 23g again.

Finished trimming the Asterion shell. All going fine until the last arch. The ‘score and snap’ method somehow took a 2mm different line for 2cm of the wheel arch.

Now I have to decide whether to continue with a complex three colour paint scheme or write it off as a ‘basher’ shell.

TBH, I already know the answer - use it as practice for the three colour shell and save my MCI decals for a version 2. Or maybe get someone capable to do it!!!

• Like 1

Managed to fry a Hobbywing 1060 esc in my sons new TT01e. Fitted a 25t pinion so I could try it out, forgot to switch the little plastic plug on the esc from NIMH to LIPO. It didn't take long for the smoke to appear!

Oh well, good excuse to buy a 1080 instead!

7 minutes ago, SurreyDad said:

Hi @Badcrumble, I have just checked and my original tyres have 42214-39244 on the sidewalls and these are the - Tamiya M-Chassis 60D Radial Tires # 50683.

I'm not sure how accurate my scales are (also cheapo kitchen scales) but the weight showed as 23g again.

Thank you. The lowride was meant to come with a pair of each as standard so I reckon the seller swapped out the sticky expensive set for the standard radials. Never mind, I’m still waiting for delivery of some S grips and I definitely now have enough tyres and foams to put on my Giulia.

• Like 1

Went to my LHS determined to try something new, hung out with the owner for over an hour who brought out and showed me just about every single Traxxas ever made, plus several brands I hadn't even heard of before, and the only thing that remotely caught my eye was Tamiya's XV-01 Lancia... Dunno. RTR simply doesn't work for me. Left without buying anything. 

I washed some parts and sold my vintage Blackfoot. 

But first I took it for a short spin

• Like 2

Did a rough trim of the Kamtec Morris Minor van shell that will sit atop my RWD 4WS M-03. 

2019-04-10_01-11-45

It is designed for M-chassis wheels and tyres, so the arches have to be cut oversize to allow for the bigger wheels and Rally Blocks needed to traverse the obstacle course for which the vehicle is being built. I am rather tempted to get it a second shell and trim it for M-chassis wheels and tyres for non-competition running and shelf display, as I think it would look better that way. 

• Like 7

Painted a Unimog pink. Not ashamed to say I actually really like it! 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Did a rough trim of the Kamtec Morris Minor van shell that will sit atop my RWD 4WS M-03. 

2019-04-10_01-11-45

It is designed for M-chassis wheels and tyres, so the arches have to be cut oversize to allow for the bigger wheels and Rally Blocks needed to traverse the obstacle course for which the vehicle is being built. I am rather tempted to get it a second shell and trim it for M-chassis wheels and tyres for non-competition running and shelf display, as I think it would look better that way. 

Great minds, so they say! I’ve had this one since July 17 and still haven’t finished for my 4WD M chassis Minortaur.

320ECA71-DB6C-433E-A2DA-1AFB1205587F.jpg

I made my chassis spacers fit the suggested 205mm wheelbase but, as you have shown, there was plenty of scope to take it to 210mm. 

I have something slightly different planned for my 4WS M03... but not that different!

• Like 1

Just this minute ordered the Summit Racing decals for my TXT-2. All taken care of by Nathaneal at MCI Racing! :)

Thanks too Prescient who put me onto them.

I just hope they get here safely.:unsure:

Built up my new TRF big bore shocks, just need the springs now.

You may be able to see remnants of my sons Monster Beetle burnout in celebration of ditching the rubbish universals and replacing with Brat parts.

20190410_201829.thumb.jpg.6dff80e6cc76ce7cc96bf989d0f53f5b.jpg

• Like 2

A second TXT motor mount plate arrived today, thanks to TTP.

So I've been able to finish the motor swap on my TXT-2. Doubling up the motor plates moved the motor back enough to give clearance for everything to bolt up nicely.

Now I just hope the motor and pinion combo works well as it's a pain in the backside to get the motor in and out.

The Morris Minor van shell is sanded, drilled and sitting nicely on the chassis. I swapped out the 9mm offset HPI Gram Lights for some generic 3mm offset alloys as the huge offset was a bit much for this shell. They are a better fit width-wise, but not as stylish IMO. I will probably get it some mesh spoke wheels a bit more in keeping with the bodyshell.

2019-04-10_10-35-55

Now to make it look like a Carters of Suffolk novelty teapot!

1489338347-41551600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Not bad for a basher body! This was in a real state when I got it, it’s a lexan shell that had been painted at least 4 times on the outside, the paint was over 2mm thick! I stripped it, plastic primed etc & the colour + lacquer coats went on tonight 😊

46666621555_2b514a3e76_b.jpg

Then decided to re-mount the shocks on the inside of my work in progress Frankenstein Clod frame, originally to get more clearance for whatever body gets fitted. I may need to adjust the dampers slightly to harden them up, but the major benefit of doing this is that the articulation now is insane

46666622285_b50800e674_b.jpg

• Like 4

a few days ago i broke the steering bits of the lower deck on my TT02 so it's been dismantled for now.

20190410_215402.thumb.jpg.75bb3e3411891056a621fe58a0ef9f39.jpg

whoops.

however i did get a new 28T pinion by HPI (please don't hurt me), so when its drivable again, i can easily shatter the sound barrier. on the deck though, i hope tamiya restocks on item 47339 or 47340 soon...20190410_214910.thumb.jpg.715c4a336af098f89759c512baa5eb9e.jpg

bit of a tight fit.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 12:49 AM, Juggular said:

Tried "3Racing Ultra High viscosity diff oil." 

It's definitely a whole lot stickier than Anti-Wear grease.  I don't think it would leak. Time will tell. 

This much made it really stiff.  Still not enough for big trucks like Juggernaut 2.  For most buggies, it will feel like honey-filled differential. (Not that you should put honey in differential. And it's not honey, don't eat it, either...)   

ckmLSDm.jpg

Brilliant !  I just ordered some from RC Mart for my Super Astute gear diff.  Can't wait to give it a try, looks like it should be sweet sweet action for the back section !

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Brilliant !  I just ordered some from RC Mart for my Super Astute gear diff.  Can't wait to give it a try, looks like it should be sweet sweet action for the back section !

A little goes a long way.  I think what's seen on the photo was a bit much.  

I hope you like it. 

Fixed an RC tank.  

It wasn't charging. Thankfully, I spotted a tiny wire to a 3 cell NiMH hanging loose.   

Soldering it made it work again after a decade!  

xmjntPo.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The Morris Minor van shell is sanded, drilled and sitting nicely on the chassis. I swapped out the 9mm offset HPI Gram Lights for some generic 3mm offset alloys as the huge offset was a bit much for this shell. They are a better fit width-wise, but not as stylish IMO. I will probably get it some mesh spoke wheels a bit more in keeping with the bodyshell.

2019-04-10_10-35-55

Now to make it look like a Carters of Suffolk novelty teapot!

1489338347-41551600.jpg

How about the wheels from the lowride Pumpkin? Or would the offset not work?

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

How about the wheels from the lowride Pumpkin? Or would the offset not work?

The M-size Lowride Pumpkin / VW Beetle wheels are an option that I am considering for general running and shelf display, but for competition runs I need more ground clearance, hence the use of TC-size wheels and Rally Blocks since the running surface and choice of obstacles are both quite varied.

This video gives an idea of what the vehicle will be facing:

I think these should look the part:

s-l500.jpg

The chrome rim and black spokes look good on fullsize custom Morris Minors IMO.

11a40307868fd9f1cef9896e1f41a475.jpg

That said, the fullsize Morris Minors with raised suspension that inspired this build both use shiny alloys.

yqMKfcx.jpg

5650914759_c0d68ac814_b.jpg

So maybe I'll keep the wheels as they are now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The M-size Lowride Pumpkin / VW Beetle wheels are an option that I am considering for general running and shelf display, but for competition runs I need more ground clearance, hence the use of TC-size wheels and Rally Blocks since the running surface and choice of obstacles are both quite varied.

This video gives an idea of what the vehicle will be facing:

I think these should look the part:

The chrome rim and black spokes look good on fullsize custom Morris Minors IMO.

That said, the fullsize Morris Minors with raised suspension that inspired this build both use shiny alloys.

So maybe I'll keep the wheels as they are now.

Gotcha! Now I see where you’re coming from, rather than the actual teapot.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the first few steps of a Subaru’s spoilt child build this afternoon on my Brother-in-Laws veranda. I must admit that it has always baffled me where the bloomin’ heck the the front springs where on the Brats/Frogs compared to the Monster type ORV’s. Now I know. Contained inside the front of the chassis.

https://imgur.com/a/kzZigAj

• Like 1