Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, max69vk said:

Not bad for a basher body! This was in a real state when I got it, it’s a lexan shell that had been painted at least 4 times on the outside, the paint was over 2mm thick! I stripped it, plastic primed etc & the colour + lacquer coats went on tonight 😊

46666621555_2b514a3e76_b.jpg

Then decided to re-mount the shocks on the inside of my work in progress Frankenstein Clod frame, originally to get more clearance for whatever body gets fitted. I may need to adjust the dampers slightly to harden them up, but the major benefit of doing this is that the articulation now is insane

46666622285_b50800e674_b.jpg

That clod looks mental, how fast is it going to be... or a crawler?

And nice job rescuing the shell, you're a bit of a restorer of lost causes where I wouldn't have the vision to start them!

Yesterday I went to the beach with the Lunchbox again (going to go blind at this rate!) this time running that little outrunner motor on 3s. What a little monster that motor is!

20190410_223151.thumb.jpg.f73a88996549d2d32d54ba566cf285eb.jpg

I might have to look into fitting one of those diff lockers for beach bashing on 3s. The power is spectacular but the diff spoiled things sometimes, hard to go in a straight line when the tyres instantly pizza cutter when they lose a little traction, before you know it, the truck is veering side to side as the tyres take turns to balloon!

20190411_153319.jpg.f4c62c89e4e82bf3f3b1014de575418a.jpg20190411_153101.jpg.67c0398d8e126ab2004d9d688bba8064.jpg

I should have some video up in the next few days.

As for today, I've been stripping and cleaning a Nikko "The Panther" 

20190411_152452-1024x1077.thumb.jpg.f582c8fb319744699532b0a0be2d56c2.jpg

A very peculiar little buggy. The conversation between the designers and Mr Nikko must have been pretty interesting.

"Hi boss, we were thinking it might be a good idea to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Turbo Panther, perhaps our most iconic buggy and even one of the most iconic RC vehicles ever"

"I like it! Please continue..."

"Ok, we were thinking it should be 1/16 scale with proportional controls, lexan body, hobby sized 7.2v battery pack, double wishbone front suspension"

"Sounds great so far, keep going!"

"Ok...well, we know this is asking a lot, but we thought it would be cool to give it a 540 motor, the Turbo Panther was fast for it's time, especially for a toy grade and we wanted to continue that tradition. We understand this is an unusual request but..."

"It's fine I totally get it! We could reaffirm our position as the greatest toy grade manufacturer, show the Panther the respect it deserves and even link back to when we made hobby grade stuff! Hey, why not make it so you can fit proper ball bearings too!?"

"Wow! Ok awesome, thanks boss! Just one more thing then. With all this power on a 1/16 scale buggy, we think it would really benefit from double wishbone rear suspension"

"ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THE QUESTION!! 😡🤬😡🤬😡 I SHOULD HAVE YOU BOTH SACKED!!!! NOW GET OUT THERE AND PUT A SOLID REAR AXLE ON IT IMMEDIATELY!! AND NO MORE THAN 1CM REAR SUSPENSION TRAVEL!😡🤬😡🤬😡"

Should be an interesting drive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nice weather and school holidays means my boys wanted to go and run their cars.

As I finished the motor swap on my TXT last night I was quite keen to see how the new motor went (SkyRC Ares SCT 6.5T).

So out came the battery charger to charge a pack each for the boys and  one for me - all NiMH because they're what I grabbed first. Although while the charger was out I checked the storage levels on my lipo packs.

The new motor in the TXT ran great. I wasn't sure which way to go on gearing, so went with the stock TXT-2 19t pinion.

There was plenty of torque, too heavy with the throttle on take off stands the truck on the back bumper. After plenty of tearing about the motor was ice cold, so I can probably go up in pinion size. That will hopefully calm down the takeoff too.

Oh joy - I need to pull the transmission out again!

cNv-ZLLQoKaJ47CAdQwti-YV89hFMABaViY6GFm1

The three cars together. My boys King Yellow and Super Hotshot (minus the rear wing that got destroyed last time out) and my TXT-2 with a TXT-1 body so I can keep the Bigfoot body nice.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Hey @Peter_B which one’s fastest?

2 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Hey @Peter_B which one’s fastest?

I'd say it's the TXT with the Super Hotshot not too far behind. The King Yellow was hampered by gremlins making it run faster in reverse.

We did try to have a couple of drag races to see but my lad struggled to keep the SHS in a straight line.

Decal time for Tamiya Marui Bullclod Big Bear! :D With thanks to MCI for 120% scale decals.

rrRzeO9.jpg

ayxcbXf.jpg

zoGGv4F.jpg

Almost finished :lol:, need to prep the tailgate for painting, and add lights to the Rollbar (not the clod lights, something else).

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

That clod looks mental, how fast is it going to be... or a crawler?

And nice job rescuing the shell, you're a bit of a restorer of lost causes where I wouldn't have the vision to start them!

I’m literally winging it with this build as it was a half jobbed project bought off someone else! I’ll probably end up making this one more of a racer than a crawler, but the articulation is great so maybe the best of both worlds 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Mowed the lawn to finally run one of the buggies at the weekend! The Neo Fighter definitely needs a ragging.. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nellyle said:

Oops....

20190411_182944(0).thumb.jpg.951d4d53319cdc0e7007bf5e6c257edc.jpg

Even though my insides pucker up and wince at the site of that im glad its getting used

6 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Even though my insides pucker up and wince at the site of that im glad its getting used

It's too good to leave on a shelf!

• Like 1

Mocked up the rear end of my planned 4WS M03 conversion and it won’t work with stock parts so that is going on the back burner.

Put together my half-disassembled loaner Dual Hunter. Boy, is the steering sloppy. Going to test it tomorrow, have a horrible feeling that I’ll be stripping it back down to replace the servo.

Made a list of tasks for tomorrow....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

20190411_153319.jpg.f4c62c89e4e82bf3f3b1014de575418a.jpg20190411_153101.jpg.67c0398d8e126ab2004d9d688bba8064.jpg

I should have some video up in the next few days.

Forget the video, these pics cannot be outdone! I want a hig-res poster sized print of the last one! :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Put together my half-disassembled loaner Dual Hunter. Boy, is the steering sloppy. Going to test it tomorrow, have a horrible feeling that I’ll be stripping it back down to replace the servo.

Who am I kidding? No point waiting for the morning. Took the servo out of the other Dual Hunter (the one without any motors or servo mounts), tested it using my new servo tester (where have you been all my RC life?!) and installed in the loaner DH.

90F398C4-1CB3-4E1B-B58A-15131C5B17CD.jpg

The Parliamentarians say there is less slop.

One less job for tomorrow!

Edit: Hang on, isn’t that wheel the wrong way round?!!!

• Like 1

@TurnipJF, if I can sort out some longer rear control arms (think that’s the term) then I have the basis of my M-03 4WS project...

974F5241-C94F-4017-A045-7D07499B7BCA.jpg

• Like 2

Looks very monstery!

After finding that the 9mm offset HPI Gram Lights didn't really fit my Morris Minor van shell very well, I tried them on my MF-01X Jimny instead.

2019-04-11_07-35-21

Not sure. Too much?

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks very monstery!

After finding that the 9mm offset HPI Gram Lights didn't really fit my Morris Minor van shell very well, I tried them on my MF-01X Jimny instead.

2019-04-11_07-35-21

Not sure. Too much?

I kinda like ‘em! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Was this its maiden run?

No, this was the 4th or 5th time it's been out. 

15 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Nice weather and school holidays means my boys wanted to go and run their cars.

As I finished the motor swap on my TXT last night I was quite keen to see how the new motor went (SkyRC Ares SCT 6.5T).

So out came the battery charger to charge a pack each for the boys and  one for me - all NiMH because they're what I grabbed first. Although while the charger was out I checked the storage levels on my lipo packs.

The new motor in the TXT ran great. I wasn't sure which way to go on gearing, so went with the stock TXT-2 19t pinion.

There was plenty of torque, too heavy with the throttle on take off stands the truck on the back bumper. After plenty of tearing about the motor was ice cold, so I can probably go up in pinion size. That will hopefully calm down the takeoff too.

Oh joy - I need to pull the transmission out again!

The three cars together. My boys King Yellow and Super Hotshot (minus the rear wing that got destroyed last time out) and my TXT-2 with a TXT-1 body so I can keep the Bigfoot body nice.

is that your back garden? ;) 

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

is that your back garden? ;) 

No, it's the front garden. Just behind the bushes on the left is the ornamental lake and boat house.

Off to the right is the driveway leading up to the moat and peacock aviary.

:D:P

• Haha 1

Day off work today so taking the Blackfoot back out to test the shorter shock stroke (75mm down from 80mm) which should hopefully prevent the rear CVD popping out on that kerb jump.