Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

No, it's the front garden. Just behind the bushes on the left is the ornamental lake and boat house.

Off to the right is the driveway leading up to the moat and peacock aviary.

:D:P

:D:D:D

Welcome my nightmare, not just one layer of paint on the outside but 3 - red, then green, and then white! De-solv it and a toothbrush hit the bulk of the red, more De-solv it & a razor blade then attacked a lot of the green underneath, so next week it was into a seal bag with 20% nitro fuel, anyone know how long you can leave a shell in Nitro?

33714816238_4512a70338_b.jpg 33714816258_7957bf0a4d_b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Day off work today so taking the Blackfoot back out to test the shorter shock stroke (75mm down from 80mm) which should hopefully prevent the rear CVD popping out on that kerb jump.

Success.... Blackfoot 2016 rules!  

Kerb jumping, rollovers, jumps off improvised ramps... no more CVD's popping out

• Like 9

2 hours ago, max69vk said:

Welcome my nightmare, not just one layer of paint on the outside but 3 - red, then green, and then white! De-solv it and a toothbrush hit the bulk of the red, more De-solv it & a razor blade then attacked a lot of the green underneath, so next week it was into a seal bag with 20% nitro fuel, anyone know how long you can leave a shell in Nitro?

The times ive used nitro its pretty much just washed the paint of there and then, no real waiting involved.

3 hours ago, max69vk said:

Not sure about nitro, hopefully others will chime in. 

This past week I tried to strip a 425 Unimog. Painted with nearly a full can of PS Orange by my self. 

Being in the US I tried a product called citristrip who's main ingredient was either methyl or benzl alcohol I can't recall which. Checking the polycarbonate data sheet the reaction was only supposed to be moderate (B). 

24 hrs exposure to the product caused the paint to come off but made the lexan very brittle.

7 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Not sure about nitro, hopefully others will chime in. 

This past week I tried to strip a 425 Unimog. Painted with nearly a full can of PS Orange by my self. 

Being in the US I tried a product called citristrip who's main ingredient was either methyl or benzl alcohol I can't recall which. Checking the polycarbonate data sheet the reaction was only supposed to be moderate (B). 

24 hrs exposure to the product caused the paint to come off but made the lexan very brittle.

https://www.calpaclab.com/polycarbonate-chemical-compatibility-chart/

This is the chart 

Today I have mostly been...

Cleaning vintage ORV parts

Practicing body modification (on a car, not me - no injuries for once) with a Dremel. I finally got to try my 'detailers grip'. A really useful purchase.

Charging batteries. I have at least four 3300mah batteries for the planned bash sesh this Thursday. A couple of the used ones I had were duds so off to recycling they will go.

Testing the Dual Hunter I reassembled last night. It lives!

Rearranging the garage yet again to try and fit everything in. I have realised that I really, really DO have enough cars. Plus the unbuilt ones in the loft. Oops.

All being well, we'll have four cars to play with on Thursday - Dual Hunter on 55T (slowed for my 4.5yr old), Dual Hunter and WW2 on silver cans and the TL01 Bowler on an unknown trinity motor.

I've never had this many active runners before! Four cars, five people - I'm planning on being Marshall and official photo / videographer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Stripped the M-05 chassis down.

It had no bearings so need to order those, as well as a servo saver and maybe oil shocks. 

Good news is that it has not been run much.

So start the ultrasonic cleaner, to have it ready for assembly when parts come in. ^_^

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, nowinaminute said:

I should have some video up in the next few days.

Ok, here's a little clip of the Lunchie running 3s with the little brushless motor. I just spent ages editing a video last week and I already have better footage -_- I think for now I'm just going to build up some footage from multiple runs and put the best stuff together because otherwise I'll be making a video each week and then regretting it a few days later!

The extra power from 3s is most welcome, especially at the beach. I found I could usually brute force my way out of losing forward momentum and the tyres digging down into the sand which could sometimes halt progress on 2s.

I might experiment with using a diff locker though, there were a lot of times where the extra power just meant one of the wheels would go supersonic the second it had slightly less grip and then when it dug in again, the truck veered sharply to one side and the other wheel would spin up and the process would repeat over and over as the grip swapped sides and the van fishtailed all over the place. Fun but quickly get's boring when you can't give it full beans up a sand dune half the time without spinning out or changing direction randomly. Also, whichever wheel turns into a pizza cutter rubs against the chrome exhaust pipe making and unpleasant noise.

• Like 5

Not sure what to do about sand getting in the tyres either, I only have the rears glued on the outside rim at the moment so I can empty them out. If I seal the vent holes and the inner rim, it might stop the sand but it will take away the benefit of having a soft squishy tyre. I've seen some people on forums mention putting little holes in the actual tyre in the middle of the treads and that this way the sand will get flung out via centrifugal force. Not sure how well this would work in practice though.

19 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Not sure what to do about sand getting in the tyres either, I only have the rears glued on the outside rim at the moment so I can empty them out. If I seal the vent holes and the inner rim, it might stop the sand but it will take away the benefit of having a soft squishy tyre. I've seen some people on forums mention putting little holes in the actual tyre in the middle of the treads and that this way the sand will get flung out via centrifugal force. Not sure how well this would work in practice though.

Yeah I’d seal the rims and vent the tyres, all my 1/8 tyres are vented

Moggy grille is a fine thing!

Moggy grille

Detailing the body last night & this morning.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Success.... Blackfoot 2016 rules!  

Kerb jumping, rollovers, jumps off improvised ramps... no more CVD's popping out

Glad it got it sorted mate 👍🏻

After seeing  your vid has made me put a battery on charge so as to take mine to work for a run after now :)

• Like 1

Actually last night....Came 3rd in the "Stock Touring Car Championship" at my RC club. It was the last round of 6, I finished 2nd.

My TT02 was running strong and my thumbs were on form. 1st place went to a young lad(who also won the championship), driving a not so stock Xray with a brushless setup. My Torque tuned motor didn't stand a chance on the straights. Couple of the guys were complaining, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears at race control.

This aside, it was a great nights racing.

I'm thinking of migrating to "Modified Tourers" next year but not sure how the TT-02 will like going brushless?

Never thought I'd be RC car racing at my age, but blimey it's a lot of fun for very little outlay. If you're on the fence about racing, I say, have a go.:)

• Like 7

Performed 2WD re-re shelfer preventive maintenance and cleanup. All dusted off and spotlessly clean, fully serviced and tested and all ready to go... back on the shelf. 

IMG-20190413-WA0004.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Glad it got it sorted mate 👍🏻

After seeing  your vid has made me put a battery on charge so as to take mine to work for a run after now :)

Glad it inspired you to give the BF a run... today I got my ClodBuster out for an awesome days run at a great venue.

I don't even need to do any steering mods as this works great with the centrally located servo steering the front wheels only.. still only on 2s yet to up it to 3s ;)

• Like 6

Today I have been continuing the strip and clean of my Nikko "The" Panther.

20190413_155042-1209x906.thumb.jpg.d4a8245c541c0e0d952d3462ce065501.jpg

Usual Nikko quality (the real Nikko, not the Chinese brand engineered entity of today) nice strong 32DP nylon gears and it has the same interesting 2 part spur gear design that I first saw in the big F150 monster trucks. 4 little springs act as a shock absorbing mechanism between the 2 parts of the gear which move independently. I wonder why more companies didn't use a feature like this? Seems like a good extra layer of protection against gear damage either on it's own or in combination with a clutch.

20190413_142006-1209x906.thumb.jpg.331d036aae58bfcf5837b58c7876ba0a.jpg

I will start a thread about the car in the Nikko forum.

• Like 4

Ran at Robin Hood Raceway all day on the national outdoor astro track at the Tamiya Junkies meet. It was ace. I was too busy running my cars to take any photos!

• Like 6

Hangin' with me Blackfoot after a hard days graft. Bit of everything to run on in this particular spot, gravel, sand patches, mud flats grass and some old BMX jumps. Diff still going strong. :D

hORecx6l.jpg

cWk7qTyl.jpg

GWBytIQl.jpg

rhj6pPOl.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, S-PCS said:

Performed 2WD re-re shelfer preventive maintenance and cleanup. All dusted off and spotlessly clean, fully serviced and tested and all ready to go... back on the shelf. 

IMG-20190413-WA0004.jpg

Nice. You've got to be happy with that line up. 

I for ever hopeful a Fighting Buggy will find its way my way on day ;)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Hangin' with me Blackfoot after a hard days graft. Bit of everything to run on in this particular spot, gravel, sand patches, mud flats grass and some old BMX jumps. Diff still going strong. :D

hORecx6l.jpg

Awesome photo .... what electrics you running?

Some glimpses from  yesterdays run with the Clod

euOjXWg.jpg

dHKzKxe.jpg

My 3yr old had cold hands but still insisted to hold the transmitter and proceed to drive the Clod into the only bin in the park.

NsoWRYp.jpg

AOxsVy1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Took all my latest purchases to my storage (part finished sand scorcher, avante BS, and associated servos batteries motors etc) my house is a building site so everything is in storage for safety so nothing gets damaged and I've got wi fi just for today! OMG you don't realise how much we/i rely on modern technology until it gets taken away (first world problem I admit) but the simplest things at the moment are an b#@* ache🤔 to do and don't get me started on how much I'm missing my Rc's😩 just a picture to bring a smile to my face in testing times!

20190324_094303.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Awesome photo .... what electrics you running?

Thanks Bud.

Kit TBLE-02 ESC, 17.5t Justock Brushless Sensered Hobbywing motor and 7.2v LRP 4000 NiMH stick pack.

All of them stay cool to the touch. I was tempted to buy an 11 tooth pinion to up the top end a bit, but it has since sold. I reckon as it is, its about as quick as you can go without glueing the tyres on. I mostly run in smallish areas so top end isn't really a concern. I did strap a car GPS to it once and showed 37kph.

DSC_2696

Finally, the need for an amphibious high-speed monster truck has arisen. 

• Like 4