Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been there with those unimog screws! The second time around I used shoo goo to attach the piece

1 hour ago, taffer said:

I've been there with those unimog screws! The second time around I used shoo goo to attach the piece

Glad to know it isn't just me!  I had to recheck the instructions a couple of times because I was certain I'd done something wrong.

I am ashamed to admit that today I made my son an accessory to Tamiya part smuggling 😱. I ordered a spare rollbar & nudge bar for my Brat ( Brat car, didn’t mean my son). US$10 free postage to the College he’s studying at in Alabama, Otherwise it would be the the equivalent of US$35 shipped to Australia with postage etc. 

So with the savings that completely justifies spending several hundred $’s on my next order 👍🏻. My wife will be so pleased, I just know it 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Painted this thing while feeding and bathing my kids. And my wife says I can't multi-task!

There is a powerful connection between memory and the sense of smell, and man, Tamiya spray paint takes me back!

20190425_231447_resized.thumb.jpg.cc7b65d93e8721ab9a55eff3599abc66.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Took some tools to the newly arrived Monster Racer. The main objective was to remove the scuffed FRP gearbox mounting plate so I can send it off to be copied in carbon fibre.

Whilst I had the car on the bench I noticed that it's not quite as it seems. First I noticed the mounting holes in the body aren't square and don't line up with the dimples moulded into the body.

Looking closer the chassis doesn't have the right body posts fitted. It looks to have King Cab posts fitted.

That leaves the question - is it a Monster Racer with King Cab body posts, or is it a King Cab with Monster Racer body and wheels?

I don't yet know enough about them to figure out the answer.

Nevertheless, I managed to find 2 sets of Monster Racer body posts online so ordered both. For now I'll just make the correct holes in the current body and eventually get a repro one.

One small piece of broken plastic did fall out of the chassis, but I haven't been able to spot where it might have come from.

Other than that the rest of it seems pretty sound. Diff feels like it needs a rebuild and fresh lube but doesn't feel "bad".

• Like 2

So far today, in between bouts of pretending to do some work, I have charged loads of batteries and loaded my van for the weekend.  Globe Liner and pole trailer, MAN TGX 6x4 and custom race trailer with MAN TGS race truck; Drag King modified King Hauler half-finished runner project with custom Arduino-powered MFC.  Sakura D4CS drifter, TL01-LA and modded TB01.

In 15 minutes I'll be starting the 2-hour drive south to Bournemouth, for a night of eating pizza and drifting around the carpet track, then off to a local B&B to sleep.

Tomorrow morning I'll drive 15 minutes down the road to the Bournemouth RC Truckers meet, where I'll spend the day talking nonsense with other RC enthusiasts and maybe driving my rigs around the layout.

Then I'll drive another 2 hours to Mendip RC Raceway near Weston-Super-Mare, where I'll park up with like-minded vintage RC nuts and spend the night sitting around a campfire eating chilli and drinking cider, and camp over in the van.

The next day I'll wake up with a hangover and a stomach ache for a day of vintage touring car racing, either running the TL01-LA or the TB01, depending on what goes best in practice.

Then, because it's a rare event that's only 1.5 hrs (maybe less) from home, I should be able to make the run back home in time for frozen pizza and some lagers with a film.

Aces weekend :) 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, DrewZ said:

There is a powerful connection between memory and the sense of smell, and man, Tamiya spray paint takes me back!

I got a tube of Tam threadlock about a month ago. Upon opening the tube and sniffing while inspecting, 10-year old me was happy as a clam :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great weather today, so was sitting outside gluing a bunch of wheels and cutting a bodyshell. Then found it was a great moment for a spin with the Thunder Tiger MTA4 S50. The smell of nitro never gets oldB)

• Like 4

Today on my TT-02S;

Installed PSM front and rear shock towers, PSM chassis brace.

Changed rear shock oil from 550cst to 800cst.

Changed springs all around.

Installed XV-01 42mm CVDs all around.

Dusted and polished my body.

Bought and changed wheel nuts to red ones, why not?

Painstakingly filed the front suspension arms for more ride height.

Installed and sealed carbon fiber front bumper support.

Quick 4 wheel alignment...

All in all, long day really. (Sort of)

I've neglected this for a while now, with an Egress and a couple of TT01 chassis.

So tonight it got new electronics, new wing  and a general spruce up!

20190426_204658.thumb.jpg.19326b10f439b8fbffbe887d84c685a6.jpg

• Like 4

Threw out the stock egress servo saver and added a kimbrough. I also installed the jazzrider aluminum battery mount on my re re optima

2E765DA6-91DD-4004-BE2E-B73DBB15B2C5.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought a pair of rear Super Champ tyres for my Sand Scorcher and a pair of new rear drive shafts.

So my plan next week is to complete the small jobs on this model before I get too distracted with another project 😉

18 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Whilst I had the car on the bench I noticed that it's not quite as it seems. First I noticed the mounting holes in the body aren't square and don't line up with the dimples moulded into the body.

Looking closer the chassis doesn't have the right body posts fitted. It looks to have King Cab posts fitted.

That leaves the question - is it a Monster Racer with King Cab body posts, or is it a King Cab with Monster Racer body and wheels?

What I think you may have is a King Cab chassis with a Desert Fielder body. The Desert Fielder is a TA-02 based truck from 2012 that uses the same body as the Monster Racer, but the mounting holes are in a different place. Spare bodies for the Desert Fielder have no drilled holes so if someone's used one of those and drilled it for the King Cab mounts, then there would still be the dimples visible elsewhere.

The proof would be the presence of dimples in the grille, as the Desert Fielder has a light bar / nudge bar and the mounts for that are indicated with dimples.

Incidentally, the Desert Fielder is a kind of unbranded re-release of the 58136 Toyota Prerunner, which uses the same Hi-Lux body shell as the Monster Racer with a similar white, orange and red livery.

I have come to momentous decision to finish the small jobs on my Sand Scorcher and to put our Lunchbox back together. 

I need a lie down now 😂  

• Like 1

At present I am adding a spout to a Morris Minor...

2019-04-27_11-51-43

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Truck Norris said:

What I think you may have is a King Cab chassis with a Desert Fielder body. The Desert Fielder is a TA-02 based truck from 2012 that uses the same body as the Monster Racer, but the mounting holes are in a different place. Spare bodies for the Desert Fielder have no drilled holes so if someone's used one of those and drilled it for the King Cab mounts, then there would still be the dimples visible elsewhere.

The proof would be the presence of dimples in the grille, as the Desert Fielder has a light bar / nudge bar and the mounts for that are indicated with dimples.

Incidentally, the Desert Fielder is a kind of unbranded re-release of the 58136 Toyota Prerunner, which uses the same Hi-Lux body shell as the Monster Racer with a similar white, orange and red livery.

Thanks for that info. I'll have a look later and see if there are dimples in the grille.

Cracked on with the man cave but still require shelves rather than a folding picnic table :lol: oh and a desk . 5+ years later there’s finally progress! 

rZ6lsN9.jpg

g7Szoow.jpg

AY875pL.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I started re-arranging all the junk in my garage to get better organized. 

33830916018_8a6fe5206d_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Oh boy am I jealous of your garage! :wub:

• Like 1

Motorbikes are like RC cars..

1 never covers the needs !

Well, was productive !

10 year old 2 stroke engine's sparked up just fine ( both FG's just needs a little tweaking.. guess i can really testdrive tomorrow , see if they fire up )

Just a little worried about the piston springs ( if, any worries ) .. lets see ...

Did had to rebuild the entire front of the Marder, as there was some hidden damage and one suspension arm was just -stuck-

With removing managed to snap off 3 out of the 4 bolts holding it down to the chassis.. guess.. the old loctite turned into metal itself with the years.

Re drilled the holes and put in oversize ( m5 ) helicoils.      No loctite this time ;p

The Monster hydraulic brakes developed a leak on the pump .. that was also fixed ( happy so, just noticed the prices these magura sets command these days )

Tripple checked the failsafe setting on both models.. " seems to work ! "

Don't want those beasts to rocket off and stop at something solid .

Sunday tomorrow..  seems like a good day for some ye-old-fashion-2-stroke sounds :)

• Like 1

Refreshed the Cats little brother today. New shock oil, wing and kopropo receiver.

20190427_230552.thumb.jpg.802ff2583d74bc1fd92d588a14ecb750.jpg

• Like 1

Sold a handset yesterday and I’m about to recycle a charger which is great.

2 pieces of redundant kit being moved along and a bit less clutter. 

Makes space for the Blitzer Beetle and box than needs to go in the void 😂    

20 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I started re-arranging all the junk in my garage to get better organized. 

33830916018_8a6fe5206d_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Junk? What junk, I see no junk at all. ;)

• Haha 1