Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Started putting my 3d printer back together after it being out of commission for months due to waiting for a new motherboard. Fingers crossed I can get it up and running again :blink:

@78Triumph loving the rusty looking body shell!! Fantastic job. I struggle with this style of painting. I'm almost a paint by numbers man :lol:

Look forward to seeing the final product! 

25 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

@78Triumph loving the rusty looking body shell!! Fantastic job. I struggle with this style of painting. I'm almost a paint by numbers man :lol:

Look forward to seeing the final product! 

Thanks mate!

Today, I took my daughter to my old elementary school playground. My shattered Blackfoot is still in pieces so I brought along my Stampede. You know what? It was fast, fun and most importantly, didn't break once. Why can't you do this Tamiya?:(

7 hours ago, topforcein said:

that looks great

tbh the only 2 pics i had was one of google images and one from a member from of here the one pic of the member was taken at a show and the other was from the original so it was all i had and the chap did say he re sized it . tbh i can' believe they thought the decals was good and even expected me to accept it.

he even said that he has had customers nit picking all him all week witch tell you everything.

i wish i could find a good airbrush artist near to me.

tbh i cant understand that they thought i would pay £110 gbp for that effort esp seeing there are at least 2 printers on ebay selling reefer stickers for between £28 and £40 but the only one i like is the bandit version but its not meant for a merc truck and 3 wheel reefer plus my colour scheme is different to snowmans.7

it really is starting to frustrate me know even to the point that i am concidering useing kit decals witch i dont want to

That is frustrating, I am sorry to hear that. Yeah I have a FedEx decal on my 2 axle semi but I don't particularly like it, I just didn't want the stock "Intercontinental Express" one any more, it is hard to be different without going custom. I paid about £50 (100nzd) for the Pak n Save decals and the girl even applied them to the panels (was expecting to do them myself).

• Like 1

Went to put a cheap savox servo in the 58044 pajero last night (the old servo isn't centering) so made sure I grabbed my tamiya screwdrivers from storage and went about it while the kids were asleep and watching Back to the Future on TV. Got stuck as I didn't realise the old servo was an Acoms, so servo horn needs replacing also. Got a kick out of watching Doc Brown in the car park operate the Deloren with the Futaba remote with the remote off and no juice on the battery meter 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More Super Astute progress 

7-A759330-1285-48-BE-9-E0-D-CB0-E94-E7-E

servo and motor in, shocks and wheels to do. :)

Savox servo is very nice, but still has the chatter I get from Savox servos. Not sure what that’s about?

• Like 3

More progress on the TT02 today.  I printed a long/wide battery strap to make a mounting surface for the power analyzer; it replaces the kit battery strap.  I also printed a mount for three digital thermometers; it slides over the body posts and provides holes so the thermometers snap into place like standard panel mounts.  The thermometers were only about $2/each and will keep eyes on the battery, ESC, and motor.

Just one more mount for a motor cooling fan and to tidy some servo wiring, a little soldering, and it'll be time for a test run.

IMG_4064.JPG

• Like 3

I got these Goodyear rare Terra tires on the fleamarket. Not a clue about brand or anything! All I know is they're super cool. Too bad I only found two, a full set of four would have great for the Subaru Brat. :rolleyes:

Anybody knows who makes these? I've never seen them before.

Qy0lHlB.jpg[

vztumOr.jpg

You all have a good Sunday! :)

• Like 10

Finished the Super Astute! What a lovely build it’s been. 

9-B46-B7-B4-90-C8-4-A39-9242-A9-B7-DFDC6

took it out for a spin with its younger cousin

6-F2-EF8-D7-3-EB0-4-A95-B7-B5-2-A9-B5089

• Like 10

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Finished the Super Astute! What a lovely build it’s been. 

9-B46-B7-B4-90-C8-4-A39-9242-A9-B7-DFDC6

took it out for a spin with its younger cousin

6-F2-EF8-D7-3-EB0-4-A95-B7-B5-2-A9-B5089

Nice 👍🏻 , how do they compare??

• Like 1

Picked up my new 4wd race kit, a Hot Bodies D418. Switching brands from Kyosho, only because Hot Bodies are the most popular at my club and supported by a team driver there. The Lazer ZX6 has been great but is becoming fragile and has failed to finish the last 2 meets, so time to replace it.

If only I could find time to build it now, I think i have 2 weeks before the next race meet.

Any ideas on livery? I don't really like what has become the standard RC buggy paint job, but am paying someone to airbrush this one for me so can go crazy simce I don't have to do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Picked up my new 4wd race kit, a Hot Bodies D418. Switching brands from Kyosho, only because Hot Bodies are the most popular at my club and supported by a team driver there. The Lazer ZX6 has been great but is becoming fragile and has failed to finish the last 2 meets, so time to replace it.

If only I could find time to build it now, I think i have 2 weeks before the next race meet.

Any ideas on livery? I don't really like what has become the standard RC buggy paint job, but am paying someone to airbrush this one for me so can go crazy simce I don't have to do it.

I am a fan of flames, but that's probably quite common. Have a play with coliurs on a colour wheel (google it). My favourite colour is orange, but i found that on a colour wheel it works well with purple, teal and yellow, plus another few other combos. That helped me pick decal colours for my Grasshopper3 and Thunder Dragon. If you something full left field i like the dazzle camoflage design, but given that its purpose is to break up geometric shapes to make thrm hard to recognise it might not he ideal for a fast moving, small angular vehicle! 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I am a fan of flames, but that's probably quite common. Have a play with coliurs on a colour wheel (google it). My favourite colour is orange, but i found that on a colour wheel it works well with purple, teal and yellow, plus another few other combos. That helped me pick decal colours for my Grasshopper3 and Thunder Dragon. If you something full left field i like the dazzle camoflage design, but given that its purpose is to break up geometric shapes to make thrm hard to recognise it might not he ideal for a fast moving, small angular vehicle! 

Funny you mention a colour wheel, I came across one today. I vaguely remember them from high school art classes.

I have been checking out various race cars but I don't think they will translate well to a buggy. I like the gulf porsche livery but it will probably be pretty boring on a 10th scale buggy

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

On a race body there's an argument for be plain and simple. Reason being, race bodies tend to get knocked around and replaced quite often. It's a shame to spend time on (or pay out for) a killer paint job only to see it end up getting trashed due to racing.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 3:13 PM, mongoose1983 said:

I got these Goodyear rare Terra tires on the fleamarket. Not a clue about brand or anything! All I know is they're super cool. Too bad I only found two, a full set of four would have great for the Subaru Brat. :rolleyes:

Those look awesome! The San Cristobal hills don't stand a chance with those mud pluggers! :D

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Anything but the cliche'd tribal stripes, chequered flag, fade, honeycomb mesh, that 99% of NZ RC buggies seem to be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice 👍🏻 , how do they compare??

The shorter wheelbase is noticeable in the turning circle, and the Astute does feel a little more tight and direct. The Racing Fighter has a 55t motor in it as it’s piloted by my 4 year old, so we don’t get to go that fast. I’m not convinced the Astute could handle some of the accidents the DT03 gets in to :)

it does evoke the 90s nostalgia for me, very much like an Avante does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have ran my zahhak/trf201 grasshopper fusion car on the beach today, I put some new rear tires on it yesterday and run this car for the second time since I made it.

I love this car it runs like a champ, I think I have done something right to it, when it was a zahhak the cars had a lot of understeer even with weight on the front I always have to let go of the throttle to let it steer.

This thing steers razer sharp and tight I, it drives better then the zahhak did.

IMG_7188.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dannymulder said:

I have ran my zahhak/trf201 grasshopper fusion car on the beach today, I put some new rear tires on it yesterday and run this car for the second time since I made it.

I love this car it runs like a champ, I think I have done something right to it, when it was a zahhak the cars had a lot of understeer even with weight on the front I always have to let go of the trottle to let it steer.

This thing steers razer sharp and tight I, it drives better then the zahhak did.

IMG_7188.JPG

You know what? I found the exact same thing with Ultra G, my Grasshopper2 independent suspension conversion. It is such a sweet handling buggy. Really nice turn in with very little push. Maybe the short wheelbase is better for general bashing duties? 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You know what? I found the exact same thing with Ultra G, my Grasshopper2 independent suspension conversion. It is such a sweet handling buggy. Really nice turn in with very little push. Maybe the short wheelbase is better for general bashing duties? 

Maybe it is the short wheelbase I don't know, the wheelbase on this thing is 238mm, I was surpriced that it runs so wel, and the handling and steering is much better then the zahhak, I did not expected that, because its just a grasshopper chassis with zahhak gearbox and front end.

Just finished the post-race checkup on the cars that I ran at West Bridgford's 30th anniversary meet yesterday. Since the closure of the Sleaford track, we hadn't been racing for the best part of six months, so the West Bridgford meet was a welcome opportunity to run some cars that hadn't seen any use for a while.

My new M-07 managed the day's racing with no damage. I had managed to do a bit of setup and testing at Sleaford before it closed, but this was my first opportunity to actually race the thing, and I considered my midfield place to be quite good all things considered. It is certainly a harder car to drive than my M-05, but potentially faster, and I'm sure I'll be doing better as I get more practice with it.

My freshly-refurbished TT-01 was good and quick when it was running, but it struggled a bit with thermal issues. The battery and motor were fine, but the TBLE-02 ESC could only make about 5 minutes before overheating. I don't want to mess with the gearing as I am happy with the car's acceleration and speed down the straights, so I will try a cooling fan on the ESC and if it still can't make a full heat, it will get a different ESC. No rush though - the car is not raced often. I have it mostly as a standby in case anything happens to my TB-03.

My box-stock F103 was its usual impeccable self, performing brilliantly and mixing it up with other cars that on paper should have left it far behind, such as 13.5t touring cars and modern high-end F1s. Apart from an aerial tube that went missing at some point on the way home, no damage was suffered.

My venerable DT-02 had a go in free practice and qualifying, but its brushed motor and NiMH battery were not even remotely on the pace, so it sat out the racing proper. I am thinking that I might upgrade it to brushless and LiPo power, possibly fit a DT-03 chassis and shell, and keep it as a fast basher. Budget precludes getting a proper racing buggy at this point, so I'll content myself with being competitive in F1 and M-class, and doing what I can in Touring with my TB-03.

• Like 3

Finished my TT02 and took it for a test drive.  For a base-level TT02 with just springs and no dampers, I was impressed with how well it turned in the street.  There was just a hint of oversteer.  I'm eager to try a few speed runs, but unfortunately there are a few issues to work on still.  First, the steering seemed slightly sticky and won't return to center perfectly.  The car wanders right or left depending on the last turn taken.  Not good at higher speeds.  Second, the motor seems down on power.  I calibrated the ESC against the radio and confirmed all settings, but I expected to be at half throttle for the speed I captured, not nearly full throttle.  There doesn't seem to be more power on tap like I expected, even though the power analyzer did show a peak of 190A.  I have a motor analyzer and a program box for the ESC, so there's some work to do here.  Finally, and most alarming, there was a moment when the car seemed to take off full throttle on its own for about 50 feet and I was steering it just to avoid any hard obstacles.  Then it stopped!  There shouldn't be any technical reason for this to happen, and I'm second guessing whether I might have bumped the throttle; my memory is a little hazy around the incident.  I'll do some more test runs to gain some confidence it won't take off into a curb.

The power analyzer, GPS, and thermometers all worked well.  It was handy to have max current, max power, and min voltage captured.  The GPS seemed to capture max speed fine.  The thermometers were handy because I could look down on the car and make a decision whether to do another run down the street or not.  After a half dozen runs the motor and ESC hit 50C, so I called it quits for the day.

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

• Like 8