Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Beach combing with the b&wfoot/brat/bush devil thing. No loctite on my homemade bumpsteer fix meant it worked lose whilst ambling about. I should really carry a few tools, or a screwdriver at least.

48102243793_46e32e4dbb_b.jpg 

:D

• Like 4

back to base & all sorted, these hex spacers are useful. I saw they’re used on a wheel spacer for the Clod from CPE so I’ll copy the design & make my own 

48102448438_78a3dc96dd_b.jpg

• Like 3

today  I finished the rebuild of my new mst-mtx 1 rtr, I have done a little test run in the street and on grass with 2 at storage level lipo's, tomorrow I am going to give it a proper run on the beach with fully charged lipo's.

First impression, the car drives nice and is easy to drive for a solid axle truck, drivetrain is very silent, it need some finetuning and maybe I am going to widen the track a little, but first I am going to run it on the beach see how it drives there,  thats where I drive it the most.

IMG_7189.JPG

• Like 7

Finishing up the FXX's rear wing this evening as I had to wait for the TS-49 Bright Red paint to arrive. 

Not a huge fan of the body as it seems a little toy-like with the solid decals on the windows. I'm looking to swap this out with a LaFerrari body and paint a new set of FXX wheels in aluminum.

53ca8ebad9e00e34c1c1da03f314762c.jpg

• Like 2

Put some decent cord in the servo winch on my High Lift and added a weird looking anchor thingy. Works very smoothly now and can pull some decent weight

IMG_20190620_180351

IMG_20190620_180406

IMG_20190620_182604

I can hook it over the back when not in use

IMG_20190620_183121

• Like 8

Ran my DT03 with the truck body properly for the first time. I am so happy with it. Just had to trim the fromt wheelarches a little. 

2019-06-22_06-02-02

The body does move a lot due to being mounted high up on long body posts. Think i need to fashion something onto the old wing mount to help keep it steadier. 

• Like 5

Purchased the LaFerrari bodyset, new set of Ferrari wheels and a LED light set. 

• Like 1

I figured out how to make an adjustable rear toe setup for the TT02.  As most of you know, the base-level TT02 comes with zero rear toe and it takes hopup parts (whether Tamiya or third party) to introduce some level of fixed rear toe-in for extra stability.  For not much more than the usual blue aluminum parts, I bought extra A, B, and P parts and used some M3x16 set screws, ball nuts, and 50875 adjusters to make it adjustable instead.  One improvement beyond this would be to source some M3x16 turnbuckles and trim 1-2 mm off each adjuster so the rear toe is infinitely adjustable.

With using extra front suspension parts in the rear and dialing in a degree or two of toe-in, the wheelbase didn't change -- it's still 257 mm.  To deal with suspension slop I used the tape method outlined in my "you can fix anything with tape and shims" thread.  One improvement that made slipping the suspension ball over the kingpin tape easier was to use a body reamer to create a small initial taper inside one side of the suspension ball.

I'm pretty pleased with the result and can definitely demonstrate it's feasible.  This, along with some shims/spacers, opens the door to playing with reactive toe like some of the more expensive chassis offer (e.g., Awesomatix).

Rear toe-in close-up:

IMG_4069.JPG

Overall chassis with a little front toe-out and a little rear toe-in:

IMG_4070.JPG

• Like 8

Working on the Mugen Seiki Prime 12 and spent hours looking for a pinion/maingear set I knew I had somewhere.... But only found the pinion aaargh. <_<

So, back to ordering a new set, that will be quicker. :lol: And place a new batch of parts in the ultrasonic so I can start on the front-end.

Went crawling today with the bigger crawlers (Axial, Traxxas, AE, etc). My CC01 was surprisingly good. Although it couldn't crawl up the very steep areas but it still manage to get to most areas in the mini mountain.

IdK63Vth.jpg
4gdlFF9h.jpg
uV2Mq74h.jpg
tPgX4L3h.jpg
tmwSbRah.jpg
c7i3SGMh.jpg
EWKhOeih.jpg
2HxhERFh.jpg
lXXElAvh.jpg

• Like 7

Bit of a cheat as this was yesterday and today....sorry!

Fully rebuilt my Cat K2 and partially rebuilt my Egress after both had seen some heavy use! The ball diffs in the Egress are sounding a bit agricultural, anyone know what parts are required to convert to a gear set-up?

20190623_202235.thumb.jpg.b4ded28fc7f6cfc4d243d35b3e678096.jpg

• Like 4

Disposed of two puffed lipos. Both showed a sensible voltage etc, but it just didn't feel worth the risk to keep them.

A bit more spraying of the Blackfoot body. A few blemishes, so sanding will come next.

Cut out a Yaris body, washed and drying now ready for all the masking tape. Always makes me consider ignoring the 'do the black first' rules, but given it's going to be white it makes sense. :)

• Like 1

Did a bit or organising today, making space on my shelves for two new projects - one planned, the other a bit out of the blue. I went to a sale of used cars from the ex-Unit 21 venue in Sleaford yesterday, where I picked up a very battered but salvageable Thundershot chassis (planned) and an almost-pristine original DT-01 (unplanned but too good to pass up at the price).

So I'll no doubt be posting a fair number of Thundershot-related queries over the coming weeks and months as I take the battered remains of what appears to have been a very well-used plaything and turning it into a vehicle worthy of attending vintage race meets. I plan on following the same approach as was taken with my Manta Ray, modernising here and there but retaining the character of the original.

• Like 1

the scorcher has arrived. Need to finish my other project then start the cleanup.

scorcher.jpg

• Like 4

Blew the cobwebs off my TA03R in readiness for installing the one way bearing the wrong way to see if I can make a RWD car with 4WD  braking. Put a Tamiya 23T motor in, just waiting to the one way to arrive.

I forgot how noisy the TA03 is compared to a TA04. Might need to pull the gearboxes apart and re-grease/oil the gears and bearings.

Today I made a black shiny Sport Tuned Brat,..... well......, a black dusty one on its first outside run.

i5npfcil.jpg

s0BMmZcl.jpg

• Like 8

Lots of very cool posts above me, great reading and pictures.

My Tamiya weekend was very modest, found an hour spare yesterday to continue with the reassembly of the WW2 chassis which is now as far as it can go until the postie arrives with my alloy servo posts. 

Really enjoying the simple process of cleaning, assembling and adding a few hop ups along the way 👍

• Like 3

Replacement ESC for the WW2 turned up today, so thought I would take the battery and motor connectors off the dud one and put on the new one. Found out 2 of the motor connectors had broken solder joints....so my initial diagnosis of a sus motor and then thinking it was a dead ESC has resulted in me now having a space ESC. I am sure it wont go to waste, but goes to show even after so many ESC/motor changes/updates that it is still easy to misdiagnose a problem.

• Like 1

Got the LaFerrari body completely cut out and the mounting holes drilled last night. 

I cleaned up and cut the mounting posts for the Ferrari FXX last week. They are one notch too short for the LaFerrari body. I have to buy new TT-01 mounting posts this week :( 

More PS-1 sprayed on the Yaris. Building up quite nicely, though there is a little run. Hopefully I’ll get to see it I’m daylight tomorrow to see if it’s ok.

tiny bit of sanding of the Blackfoot body, tiny as the paper I was using was too fine, so I need to source something courser. 

Rediscovered a Subaru BRZ Sport body I’d cut and partially masked. Finished off the masking, including rebelling again and leaving the black till last. 

I’m trying to make the most of my enthusiasm to do these bodies with the warm weather, to give myself some nice winter builds.

Broke down the WW2 body into parts to clean it and fettle to make it mine.

I quite like the camouflage now so it may stay, not 100% convinced yet though. 

Worked on the LaFerrari body last night. Holy, what a pain in the rear to cut out and fit. But I got all of the paintwork done; masked and shot black on the roof and rear diffusers. Got all the fiddly bits painted such as the light buckets, projector housings, mirrors, tail light housings and mirror glass built. Lots of decals to apply. LOTS. But I'm super happy with how clean it all looks. Once the black decals are laid down, it'll change the look a ton. Also working on the wheels tonight getting them primed and shooting gloss aluminum.

By the way, this is a TT-01 chassis. I'm going to have to switch out the CPR unit with a modern set-up when I get the lights. 

Crummy late night iPhone photos: 

412edfb92d3c5bf404c40938eb7380a6.jpg
3c61e0993e06f760401b795e22dc75f9.jpg

• Like 4

Tamiya fanboi here.

Without a doubt the Tamiya Hornet is my all-time fave! Had one as a kid and about 5 as an adult/father...

Overt the years the only car that has peaked my interest outside of the Tamiya family is the Kyosho Optima. I was drawn to the build, the metal parts and the vintagness of it all.

So I built one. And made it a Hornet. Sacrilegious?

IMG_20190627_122227.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1