Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgraded the entire front suspension with aluminum parts. Upper and lower suspension arms, lower suspension arm plate, knucles, c-hubs, and steering.

JSKFP7ah.jpg

U5INQAZh.jpg

• Like 7

Sold my last vintage manual yesterday and unexpectedly bought a RTR beach runner as well.

I take my daughters to Wales every year for some quality time with ‘dad’ doing what they love-horse riding and I now take a Tamiya to run in the evening on the beach after supper whilst they play. 

My Sand Scorcher and Wild One are too nice to spoil and I won’t get the Kyosho up and running in time so my 1st FAV is on its way 👍

• Like 3

Since I missed out on the Iconic Schumacher Challenge a few weeks back - due to not getting my Procat finished in time - I've not done much (Procat still not finished).

But the other week I acquired a really nice condition Bosscat rolling chassis with electrics fitted. Not entirely sure which edition Bosscat it is. I think it's mostly a works spec.

It came to me with a set of the 3 spoke wheels more commonly seen on later Cats (2000 etc). I'm not a big fan of those but fortunately I was able to get hold of some new Aerodisc wheels.

So I've just spent 10 minutes swapping the wheels over for the Aerodiscs with Schumacher Mini Spike tyres all round.

• Like 2

Mounted all tires on my xray t1fk05, will glue them next time.

nM8gkL8.jpg

Front are 40R Sorex, rear Pit Shimizus 40R, with very hard inserts. Cant wait to try it, since it is summer, I think the tire choise was right. Also a nice picture of the reference sheet from Team Sorex, to be honest, both are quite sticky to the figers of your hand.

KmoEVft.jpg

• Like 1

Tried out some of these Tamiya "Type-D" drift tyres to see what the deal is. It seems to be a common complaint that they are too grippy for drifting, which sounded perfect to me as normal drift tyres are too slippery for high speed 4WD drifting on asphalt. People describe them as 'hard rubber' which I don't agree with. They rigid plastic, but softer than most drift tyres and they seem to be hollow like a regular rubber tyre - there's an air gap between them and the wheel so they deflect a bit if you squeeze them. The air gap seems to help cut down on the noise that normal solid drift tyres make on asphalt. I like them!

Don't mind the shoddy video, I strapped a camera to my transmitter and was more concerned with driving than shooting video :P.

Nothing special about the car setup - plenty of motor power, normal gear diffs front and rear, more AW grease in rear than front, zero camber. Super soft springs, stiff rear swaybar, soft front swaybar. Had some technical difficulties with the rear sway bar binding up, that probably only helped it be even more drifty :lol:.
Tyre wear seems good although since these appear to be hollow tyres, I imagine the the 'tread' is only ~2mm thick. By comparison, Tamiya Super Driftech tyres wear faster and have less grip on asphalt. This is after burning though an entire 5000mAh 3S pack, I'd imagine they'd go another 5-10 packs if rotated with the front tyres after each pack.
7WiskkA.jpg

• Like 5

Switched the Cat K2 to a new Spektrum 2 Channel receiver so that it is now steer wheel like the Couger and CR-01, think I may prefer it now to sticks... 

Ran the Couger and DT-03 to compare its rear mounted motor against the mid mounted one of the KC. The Couger is like a lazer, it tracks wherever you point it... The DT-03 is more of a shotgun point it and it'll go somewhere in that general direction, it is way more fun however just because it's imprecise. I know you can't really compare these as it's apples and oranges but it was fun none the less 😁

• Like 3

Met up with fellow TC member @Yogi Bear today to run a few cars around. Had a great time in a fairly sheltered spot in a park under some trees dodging the rain. Really nice to be able to put a face to a name 👍🏻.

• Like 5

I going to use my wt-01 as a donor car for parts for my konghead project, pulled of the arms, shocks and knuckles and high shocktowers, I am going to use that on my konghead. 

I have a gf-01 dumptruck with long suspension arms , I am going to change that back to stock with the konghead arms wheels and dogbones.  the dumptruck now have proline badlands sct tires and wheels on it but I find these to grippy the car rols over to easy at the side and front rolovers, the long suspension arms and driveshafts are going to my konghead to.

From the left over parts from my wt-01, Gearbox and some other stuf I am going to make a wr-02, I got almost al the parts for it  only need the chassis and a body.

IMG_7194.JPG

• Like 1

Today I ordered the last of the parts required to rebuild my £15 Thundershot carcass into a drivable chassis. Now to choose a shell. Another Thundershot one (probably a TBG repro) or something different?

• Like 1

Mounted my esc with new wires to the M03RA. I  had in mind to make it look like it came from the factory like this, but I had to learn again that you cant rush something you love and desire over night after 1am. Was quite of tired and measuring twice and soldering in tight spots was not really a Gentlemans idea, but came out... lets say Ok, if considering my expirience in soldering. 

erndzLJ.jpg

7Gm0zhA.jpg

BAKxc3x.jpg

Has  never been opened in 23years.

This is a M01 body, if there is any difference to it, to me it seems yes? Like bumpers and livery overall? What is it?

oJlZKq0.jpg

And I wanted to share a couple of photos of my M03 Mini body from two days ago.

qKFkxLY.jpg

sG6u397.jpg

xwOKP3k.jpg

bGjDcbG.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Met up with fellow TC member @Yogi Bear today to run a few cars around. Had a great time in a fairly sheltered spot in a park under some trees dodging the rain. Really nice to be able to put a face to a name 👍🏻.

yeah, was good fun thanks  @Re-Bugged good to catch up. I'll have a dodgy video posted soon.

• Like 1

Technically yesterday (Saturday),

but I got up at 3:30am to drive 4 hours (8 both ways) to play with 1/14 trucks with a bunch of grown men at a model expo. I had an absolute ball and it was worth the drive (and return the same day) in the middle of winter through pitch black mountain roads, fog and black ice to drive around a hall with other truck hobbyists. 

UhclpAM.jpg

moZn8fm.jpg

JgaHaFb.jpg

iBWGAf8.jpg

My MAN tractor unit with another members twin bruder trailer 😍😍 (I want!)

WfK0Hmy.jpg

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, berman said:

Technically yesterday (Saturday),

but I got up at 3:30am to drive 4 hours (8 both ways) to play with 1/14 trucks with a bunch of grown men at a model expo. I had an absolute ball and it was worth the drive (and return the same day) in the middle of winter through pitch black mountain roads, fog and black ice to drive around a hall with other truck hobbyists. 

Where was the model show? Were there a bunch of clubs there and your truck club was one part of it? I used to love model shows as a kid but haven't been to one in many years

• Like 2

Unexpected family bash in the garden this afternoon. WT01 4x4x4, GT01 HDT, Vajra and XV01 all in action. Lots of giggles, and oddly lots of repairing of rear suspension working loose. Only the XV01 escaped that. 4 year old doing really well, 2 year old got the hang of the trigger at least. Mummy blaming her accidents on the steering of the WT01...  

Takeaways:

wt01 - I think I might convert this back to stock.  The 4ws is amusing, but never used. I doubt it goes that much better with the twin motors. The donor kit is bugging me, I want to see the Brat shell go somewhere :D

gt01 - never use just f/r on the esc, unless you do actually want somersaults 

Vajra - she’s a lovely thing, but the wheels disagree with the steering, and everything just seems to work loose. Shock tower attachments, steering, hubs. All needed tightening after the run ( and step screw lost to the garden)

XV01 - 10.5t motor in it, but I ended the afternoon with it on 50% endpoint.  Still quick. Just not insane in our small garden. Pondering if a 17.5t would make more sense. 

• Like 2

Finally finished my clone bruiser project replacing all the bearings (kept the stock ones because I can't really see anything wrong with them!)  Re-badged with photo etched Toyota badging Re-greased all the drive train parts replaced the steering servo with a metal gear servo which I took out of a old dead nitro buggy. It's all been good so far very smooth and nothing has failed granted it's just bopping around the back garden but fun nevertheless!

20190707_214905.jpg

• Like 11

22 hours ago, berman said:

UhclpAM.jpg

WfK0Hmy.jpg

I haven’t been to NZ yet, and to think it’s cheaper to fly there from Oz than it is for an internal to Perth. This would be another great reason to go 😁

I keep talking myself out of a Truck but as a bang for your buck compared to other kits creeping up in price they are getting harder to ignore 😬

Those B-Double set ups are the mutts nuts 👍🏻, do people buy a few standard trailers to make them up or are the kits available for them??

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Where was the model show? Were there a bunch of clubs there and your truck club was one part of it? I used to love model shows as a kid but haven't been to one in many years

Hawkes Bay. Nah it was a local model show (model planes/cars/trains etc and RC boats), in which the local RC truck club was a part of. I used to regularly go to the Taupo Hobby expo, which is on this weekend.

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I haven’t been to NZ yet, and to think it’s cheaper to fly there from Oz than it is for an internal to Perth. This would be another great reason to go 😁

I keep talking myself out of a Truck but as a bang for your buck compared to other kits creeping up in price they are getting harder to ignore 😬

Those B-Double set ups are the mutts nuts 👍🏻, do people buy a few standard trailers to make them up or are the kits available for them??

Yeah it is cheaper, normally about $250AU-ish.

The trucks are my favourite, it is really popular to do local or national brands for schemes, as the public can relate to them. Yeah the B's and B doubles are really popular. NZ loves their 8x4 twin steers and there were a few there yesterday. Yeah they are custom made unfortunately. Funnily enough the two Scania B's (seperate owners) both had (a different) impressive realistic Scania rumble to them, one with a retarder, I was gobsmacked!

Get one, and make it your own!

• Like 2

Sold my Kyosho last night which is pleasing and disappointing, it’s a very cool model imo.

But I have been a bit Tamiya greedy this so year and I want keep my spending at sensible levels and the model numbers low. 

Currently at 9 with 3 more in the post on their way to me, so there’s a bit more reshuffling to do.

Quite close to having all the models I want which is a nice place to be, there are 2 I would like but they can wait until next year now. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, moffman said:

Finally finished my clone bruiser project replacing all the bearings (kept the stock ones because I can't really see anything wrong with them!)  Re-badged with photo etched Toyota badging Re-greased all the drive train parts replaced the steering servo with a metal gear servo which I took out of a old dead nitro buggy. It's all been good so far very smooth and nothing has failed granted it's just bopping around the back garden but fun nevertheless!

20190707_214905.jpg

I really like this and the price makes it accessible.

It does not bother me that’s it is a clone and at half the price I would enjoy twice as much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I really like this and the price makes it accessible.

It does not bother me that’s it is a clone and at half the price I would enjoy twice as much. 

I'm not at all saying that the tamiya bruiser is over priced because side by side you can tell which is the tamiya quality product and if your in the market for the original and you can afford it go for tamiya👍but if you want a bit of fun at 1/3 of the price you absolutely can't go wrong with this little beauty! The grey one is the original!

img37842_17072014212234_2_1100_.jpg

20190707_221012.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moffman said:

I'm not at all saying that the tamiya bruiser is over priced because side by side you can tell which is the tamiya quality product and if your in the market for the original and you can afford it go for tamiya👍but if you want a bit of fun at 1/3 of the price you absolutely can't go wrong with this little beauty! The grey one is the original!

Sweet. Is there Mountaineer clone, or is it a case of converting the Bruiser clone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Sweet. Is there Mountaineer clone, or is it a case of converting the Bruiser clone?

At the moment just the bruiser clone! So converting is the way to go (for now anyway)

Made some parts for the Falcon. Just getting numbers right then I'm going to make the parts a bit nicer to machine then get CNC mill some alu versions. The rear shock towers are already on the go :)

zLl94DR.jpg

P4ZdEqQ.jpg

• Like 2