Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I ended up sticking the DDS unit in my Grand Hauler temporarily. I forgot my kenworth has a DX6 which for some reason doesn't like any of my sound units. Nice sound although like the MFC-01 it is 'stepped', whereas it has prerecorded rpm intervals, making it sound robotic/8 bit.

Would record it but all you would hear is PJMasks blasting and my kids in the background... 🙄 

OF4ycrw.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Finished work early so swung by a hardware shop and picked up a 60w soldering iron to hopefully improve my mediocre soldering skills from using a 30w iron. 

• Like 4

deceided to 2k clear coat the reefer trailer side panels as i managed to get the colour coat on in the week.

so as soon as i pulled the little jobbie under to can to mix the hardener with the laquar in the can even thought no rain had been forecast it started:rolleyes:.

seeing i had mixed the can i had to use it as it only has a short shelf like after that so into the one place i did not want to paint ....... my shed as their is always dust floating around in their. i got the first coat on and it stoped raining so i deceided to continue out side and managed to get the remaining coats on.

i will let it dry for a couple of days then sand a couple of bits that landed on them and then let rip with the machine polisher on them.

but tbh they have turned out near perfect again by using 2k clear:wub:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday now, but for the first time i took an rc car to big family gathering with loads of kids. Normally i would be pretty stressed about this hence not taking one before, but the Comical Hornet changed all that. For a start, EVERYONE from grandparents to toddlers loved it. Secondly, with a 21t brushed motor and lipo, it's zippy without being ridiculous and it runs and runs and runs. I reckon a conservative estimate of 40 minutes full throttle running and it wasn't quite at storage voltage, so probably could have run another 30 minutes easy. Thirdly, on grass as opposed to tarmac its just perfect. Handles great, rolls occasionally but shrugs it off because of the soft surface (so i'm not eincing the whole time) , pull wheelies, is generally adorable. Even my nephew with CP could drive it and loved every second. The kids took it off to race - them against the buggy! Brilliant. Exactly what rc should be about most of the time - sheer fun - and exactly why i got the Comical car for. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Finished work early so swung by a hardware shop and picked up a 60w soldering iron to hopefully improve my mediocre soldering skills from using a 30w iron. 

I have two soldering irons as well.  The 25W pencil-tip iron works well for fine-gauge work, but struggles with battery/ESC/motor wiring with the heavier 8 and 10 gauge wires involved.  I found an old 60W chisel-tip iron from when I tried working on stained glass windows years ago, and it's perfect for installing 4mm bullets on wires, wires on 120A ESCs, and wires on brushless motor tabs.  That extra power gets everything up to temperature more quickly, so there's less frustration flowing solder into the joint.  You just don't want to overdo it and start burning ESC and motor internals though; as soon as the joint has enough solder in it remove heat immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished my new XV01 body

F6-AA5981-7-D19-4862-A6-B3-DA87275-C5-B1

Need to tweak the ride height, and a few little nudges to be done on the stickers. Pleased with how it’s come out, especially the wheels. I’ve never bothered painting them before, but the gold comes out really well. 

• Like 14

Been doing a little maintenance and upgrading on my runner Top-Force. First I did was to change the metall balls in the diff with the ceramic one's I got. Changed both rear and front. 

IMG_20190714_215043_zpspg6diy4h.jpg

IMG_20190714_222803_zpsyxc0rquk.jpg

Then I needed to change one of the steering knuckles and since I only had black one's I changed em both. 

IMG_20190714_220914_zpsawiin9lx.jpg

IMG_20190714_232232_zpsharuuah2.jpg

I also added som new velcro to keep the body and undercover togheter again. 

IMG_20190714_231530_zpsz0aoqory.jpg

IMG_20190714_232254_zpsxzlik8f3.jpg

Only thing to fix now is this one. Didn't bother to search for it now. 

IMG_20190714_231739_zpskoqhkw1s.jpg

Hopefully I will get time to take it for a spinn, fingers crossed. 

Update

I also bought titanium screws to use on my tt02ms, I also bought a rear Frp damper tower to use on the df03ms 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topforcein said:

deceided to 2k clear coat the reefer trailer side panels as i managed to get the colour coat on in the week.

so as soon as i pulled the little jobbie under to can to mix the hardener with the laquar in the can even thought no rain had been forecast it started:rolleyes:.

seeing i had mixed the can i had to use it as it only has a short shelf like after that so into the one place i did not want to paint ....... my shed as their is always dust floating around in their. i got the first coat on and it stoped raining so i deceided to continue out side and managed to get the remaining coats on.

i will let it dry for a couple of days then sand a couple of bits that landed on them and then let rip with the machine polisher on them.

but tbh they have turned out near perfect again by using 2k clear:wub:

Pics!

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yesterday now, but for the first time i took an rc car to big family gathering with loads of kids. Normally i would be pretty stressed about this hence not taking one before, but the Comical Hornet changed all that. For a start, EVERYONE from grandparents to toddlers loved it. Secondly, with a 21t brushed motor and lipo, it's zippy without being ridiculous and it runs and runs and runs. I reckon a conservative estimate of 40 minutes full throttle running and it wasn't quite at storage voltage, so probably could have run another 30 minutes easy. Thirdly, on grass as opposed to tarmac its just perfect. Handles great, rolls occasionally but shrugs it off because of the soft surface (so i'm not eincing the whole time) , pull wheelies, is generally adorable. Even my nephew with CP could drive it and loved every second. The kids took it off to race - them against the buggy! Brilliant. Exactly what rc should be about most of the time - sheer fun - and exactly why i got the Comical car for. 

Also Pics!

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Finished my new XV01 body

F6-AA5981-7-D19-4862-A6-B3-DA87275-C5-B1

Need to tweak the ride height, and a few little nudges to be done on the stickers. Pleased with how it’s come out, especially the wheels. I’ve never bothered painting them before, but the gold comes out really well. 

That looks real smart in red! Different from blue!

• Like 2

Last month's ebay find and I finished adding the bearings, added the CPE steering system, added a Hitec hi torque steering servo, left in the manual speed control, ultrasonic cleaned the whole thing (except wheels/tires, that thing does wonders for the red parts and the gears), and painted a new lexan body for it.

Someday, I might clean up the original body.

Here was the original (one broken chassis, one broken axle):

Ku5hEec.jpg

Cleaned up:

rw0wxwP.jpg

HbAohUR.jpg

The Scottsdale body paint was inspired by the pic I found below. I've always liked the Tamiya Mustard Yellow.

R7CKVDM.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I found an old 60W chisel-tip iron from when I tried working on stained glass windows years ago, and it's perfect for installing 4mm bullets on wires, wires on 120A ESCs, and wires on brushless motor tabs. 

Great pointers thank you. 

The iron I just bought has the chisel tip and as you say is heaps better then a point for bigger areas. I just need to work on securing everything  pre-soldering otherwise you need 2 pairs of hands 😉

Got my Stadium Blitzer running again sporting a 60a Hobbywing ESC and a 13.5t LRP Brushless motor powered by 2s. I’ve also fitted a 14 tooth pinion 1 tooth up from the standard 13 tooth.

Holy Dooley it’s got some get up and go now after having a quick shakedown round the garden even on a storage charge compared to the previous Sport Tuned NiMH version. 

Other good news about this on going project is that I previously thought my W/Proof Savox servo was cactus. It used to be glitchy with a TEU 104 ESC & Flysky receiver but is much happier now being Futaba 203 controlled and working fine.

Just need some Paddle Tyres and should be good for the beach as I don’t think the garden is big enough now with the extra power on tap 👍🏻

• Like 3

Since I don't have any more space on the cars storage shelf...... I went and bought a used grasshopper 2 sitting on lunchbox tires. :ph34r: Should come in this week....

Took the Top-Force out for a spinn today in the park. Such an excellent park with all kind of different ground to drive on, concrete, grass and sand. 

Had a good time as always but all good things comes to an end :P

IMG_20190715_150616_zpsfyoftuvq.jpg

Good thing I found the axle, then I at least could give it a go trying to fix this. 

IMG_20190715_145952_zpsfplz468w.jpg

Did a quick fix, to be able to do some more runs 

IMG_20190715_151631_zpskytkrnpo.jpg

Guess I will have to get a new undercover 

IMG_20190715_150121_zpsrcwvg9e0.jpg

Hopefully there will be some beach running also... One day, I will try to make a video with some highlights. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Exactly what rc should be about most of the time - sheer fun - and exactly why i got the Comical car for. 

Absolutely brilliant mate! 👍

I've stopped worrying about breaking parts (Not that I was overly worried anyway) they are all about having fun, I think my boomer has been driven more times than people I don't know ,than me! 

Even if a part broke, it'll still be cheaper than a round of ice creams 🍦,  (got 4 on the beach the other week and had to remortgage the house! 😳😂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, berman said:

Pics!

i will post some pics when i get it together hopefully later in the week as i am currently recovering my vintage speakers as they dont suit modern decor and cetainly not where they are to go

• Like 1

For a text to say my Super Champ has been packed and posted today 😊.

Super happy and looking forward to it... a lot 💥

And amazing update on my M38 WW, bring on the vintage! 

I had a week of RC fails. 1st fail was when my LB stopped working on its 1st proper run, might’ve thermslled the tble02 by running a tblm02 10.5T with an 18T pinion but it didn’t reset so that needs further investigation.

2nd fail was trying to take my rere Blackfoot to the park, got there and the servo was loose and the steering didn’t function. It’s walking distance and I went for the kiddies to play so not a wasted trip.

3rd fail was more dramatic, I tried to bind my tx to a King Blackfoot but the bind button has stuck so the bodyless truck shot off at full pelt in a wide circle & wedged itself under a neighbours car :wacko: 

it can only get better, right?!?

update: just done some tinkering and worked out the LB sensor cable is at fault. The BF had a loose servo because I was worried about stripping out the AmPro centre servo parts but the lack of cleaning from beach running was the main cause of the steering issues. The KBF has been bound to the TX. 

Moral of the story is maintain & clean the cars and make sure they run BEFORE heading out! Tomorrow is another day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have been away for some time , new job, new car, new kittens so life has been hectic and i haven't touched my XV-01 for near 2 months, but soon i will order the electrics for it and finally finish it and paint both it and my MF-01x
Hope everyone is well :)

• Like 2

Not today (or even this week, but recently...) went down to Norfolk for a week with the family, i had room in for one car, so the beach basher DT03 was grabbed ,along with a couple of 3s lipos and the Castle 3800kv combo.

Didn't disappoint! 

2019-07-16_03-11-27

2019-07-16_03-17-01

2019-07-16_03-12-50

Getting covered in roost and trying to keep the nose down 😎

Although, as always , the trouble with alot of beach running, the rebuild......🤷‍♂️

• Like 7

This evening I put a cheap Chinese brushless motor in my Rising Storm.

2019-07-16_11-14-26

It won't keep up with an expensive race motor, but for a fun model it should be fine. Doing so has freed up a TZ for my Manta Ray, which will in turn free up a GT Tuned for the Thundershot I am restoring. 

• Like 3

Put together the CR01 beadlocks last night.  I debated painting the wheels white and the rings silver.  I might wait until I decide which body the CR01 will wear.  I've got the Bronco and Unimog already, but I like the ubiquitous Land Cruiser too and the new Land Rover Defender might be something a bit different.

S3Mxo41.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blista said:

Put together the CR01 beadlocks last night.  I debated painting the wheels white and the rings silver.  I might wait until I decide which body the CR01 will wear.  I've got the Bronco and Unimog already, but I like the ubiquitous Land Cruiser too and the new Land Rover Defender might be something a bit different.

S3Mxo41.jpg

My cr-01 is nearly finished, just to body to complete, I went with the land rover cc-01 body, which goes on the cr-01 ok apart from the wheelbase is out so I have taken the lazy route and installed body post extenders to raise the body from rubbing on the wheels.....

I painted the wheels white!

• Like 2