Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice @Wooders28 😁, what 3s pack fits in the DT03? I believe they are a tight squeeze 🤔

Naa, bags of room, these are the floueon 4000mah ones, soft case though.

I've an Orion 3s hardcase I can check for size? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taffer said:

My cr-01 is nearly finished, just to body to complete, I went with the land rover cc-01 body, which goes on the cr-01 ok apart from the wheelbase is out so I have taken the lazy route and installed body post extenders to raise the body from rubbing on the wheels.....

I painted the wheels white!

I'll look forward to seeing how yours looks when it is done.  I've been thinking a simple red with a white roof paint scheme for the Land Rover.

I'm surprised Tamiya didn't release a set of wheels in white plastic for the CR01.  I've seen a lot of Land Cruisers and Broncos with the wheels painted white and they always seem to look good.

This morning I fitted a TZ to my Manta Ray.

2019-07-17_12-33-37

This has freed up a barely-used GT Tuned to go in my Thundershot restomod.

2019-07-17_12-33-25

• Like 4

Not done much for a bit as been too busy with ‘life’ 🙄

Have finally finished building the chassis of the GF01 for the girls to bash.

Things got a little bit carried away with this though as time went on and I kept adding pretty blue things!

Tamiya GF01

It started out as a standard GF01 with the Landcruiser body, which it will still have. However I don’t like the wheels that it came with so they went in favour of some white wild willy style ones. It’s also been widened using the TL01-B parts. 

Had to make some mash up universals using the swing shafts from the DF03 uni’s. 

Shock lower eyelets needing swapping to the longer versions too. 

Biggest pain was the steering arms. Took a lot of messing to get ‘right’. Ended up using the old 68mm iirc ones from the DT03 coupled with some of the reinforced style adjusters. Not a huge amount of adjustability left but it works. 

Had a lot of fun working on this one. For a ‘simple’ build once I started tweaking things it got pretty interesting for me.

Wirings a mess, that’s post test. Needs tidying.

Tyres extremely soft too. Not sure whether to add some inserts. Thoughts/opinions?

Body to sort now then a trip to the beach is in order I reckon. 

• Like 8

I've been rebuilding my Heavy Dump Truck after it spectacularly fell to bits at the beach on Monday!

I had suspension arms screws falling out, a steering upright screw came out and allowed a dog bone and on-board drive cup to escape and disappear into the sand never to be seen again, the fan broke off the ESC, the shocks leaked and tyres kept filling up with sand!

I decided to just strip it down to bits while I was at it. I was worried the missing drive cup may have let sand get into the transmission but that wasn't an issue. Instead, sand made it's way into the brushless motor where the wires go into the case and back out the front through unpopulated screw holes! I always assumed these motors with no cooling vents/holes were relatively impassable but I guess not! Looks like that trusty paper motor plate/gasket will be required!

The chassis has now been cleaned up and de-gritted. I have to say that despite the issue with the motor, it was still remarkably clean overall in there considering it has been blasting around in sand and coal dust etc for a year. It didnt take much effort to get it back to this:

57GmS2Y.jpg

I'm going to use TL-01 upgrade shafts for the arms, the ones with e clips. That should stop them escaping. I have a set of alloy front uprights too so I can threadlock the screws in this time. I have some new red o rings and green slime to rebuild the shocks too.

And for the tyres, I'm going to put a few little holes around the centre line to allow any dirt or water to spin back out. The only other option would be to glue the air holes but that seems like it would have a negative effect overall.

And I'm going to shim the steering bellcrank while it's apart, the amount of play is ridiculous. A bearing supported bellcrank system was a massive step up compared to older models but the slop let's it down.

Hopefully I can get back to the beach soon! It was good fun while it lasted.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Instead, sand made it's way into the brushless motor where the wires go into the case and back out the front through unpopulated screw holes!

I tell a lie, there was sand in the motor but all the screw holes are blanked off by the chassis so I don't see how it could get through. I can only assume it got in via the unused screw holes for the 20t pinion option. The moulding of the chassis is designed to prevent this but I guess it only takes a tiny gap. All I know is that the small amount of dirt that got in definitely got there in the vicinity of the motor, the far ends where the diffs are were squeaky clean. I shall blank off the 20t holes, add a paper motor gasket, put a little bead of grease around the edges of the chassis halves and seal the cables on the motor with a little silicone. That should sort it.

2 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Things got a little bit carried away with this though as time went on and I kept adding pretty blue things!

Tamiya GF01

It started out as a standard GF01 with the Landcruiser body, which it will still have. However I don’t like the wheels that it came with so they went in favour of some white wild willy style ones. It’s also been widened using the TL01-B parts. 

Had to make some mash up universals using the swing shafts from the DF03 uni’s. 

Shock lower eyelets needing swapping to the longer versions too. 

Biggest pain was the steering arms. Took a lot of messing to get ‘right’. Ended up using the old 68mm iirc ones from the DT03 coupled with some of the reinforced style adjusters. Not a huge amount of adjustability left but it works. 

Had a lot of fun working on this one. For a ‘simple’ build once I started tweaking things it got pretty interesting for me.

Wirings a mess, that’s post test. Needs tidying.

Tyres extremely soft too. Not sure whether to add some inserts. Thoughts/opinions?

Body to sort now then a trip to the beach is in order I reckon. 

That looks FANTASTIC! Chapeau Sir! Always wondering what the TL01B arms would look like on one of these rigs ever since I got my Comical Hornet.

• Thanks 1

"what have you done today"

Not my job that's for sure. A budget related argument up above left my department without anything much to do so I sat quietly at my desk and made a lovely mess.

9biOsne.jpg

7XYngoC.jpg

Really pleased with the Bearhawk! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That looks FANTASTIC! Chapeau Sir! Always wondering what the TL01B arms would look like on one of these rigs ever since I got my Comical Hornet.

Cheers Cy. 

Cant wait to finish it. Crazy how much wider it actually is. 

I looked into the comical arms before the TL ones and although I may be wrong as I’ve not seen them in the flesh it looks like the comical parts would be in between the gf01 and tl01 in terms of width so you’d possibly not gain a huge amount. With the tl01 parts fitted it’s pretty much as wide as the dt03 but obviously tiny in every other way. It looks crazy!

I’ll get some more pictures up when the body is on. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Cheers Cy. 

Cant wait to finish it. Crazy how much wider it actually is. 

I looked into the comical arms before the TL ones and although I may be wrong as I’ve not seen them in the flesh it looks like the comical parts would be in between the gf01 and tl01 in terms of width so you’d possibly not gain a huge amount. With the tl01 parts fitted it’s pretty much as wide as the dt03 but obviously tiny in every other way. It looks crazy!

I’ll get some more pictures up when the body is on. 

I don't have any of the options to compare, but as i understand it you are correct, the Comical arms are longer than the rrhular gf01 arms. They are quite a bit shorter than buggy arms though. Probably 20mm per side at a guess. Driveshafts are considerably shorter than buggy versions. 

5 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Tamiya GF01

That's a good looking beast! Good job on the build.

Oh and yeah, nice blue bits there too. :)

• Thanks 1

It was my birthday yesterday and turned up at my business partners and he had a big present waiting - R33 Skyline TT02D. It was unexpected and while I wouldn't have chosen a TT02 I'm glad he did for precisely that reason. The drkft version appears to come with all the essential upgrades which is a bonus. It will be cheaper to buy normal tyres than CVA shocks and bearings,

His birthday is the same day and he wanted a fishing rod so bought presents for us which works for me, wonder what the accountant will say when it comes to tax time

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Same here, I keep wondering how they would look on the dump truck lol. I have a spare set too from a dead HBX Bonzer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

That's a good looking beast! Good job on the build.

Oh and yeah, nice blue bits there too. :)

Cheers. If I’d just built it when I bought it I’d have saved a fortune on blue bits but the longer I delayed the build the more bits I kept coming across and well, the rest is history 😂

Just now, nowinaminute said:

Same here, I keep wondering how they would look on the dump truck lol. I have a spare set too from a dead HBX Bonzer.

Whilst it’s in bits it would be rude not to try it out no?!

The only issue is the steering arms. You’d need to fashion some from the parts bin plus the longer dogbones. 

1 minute ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Whilst it’s in bits it would be rude not to try it out no?!

The only issue is the steering arms. You’d need to fashion some from the parts bin plus the longer dogbones. 

My thoughts exactly.

I have the dog bones. And a few feet of m3 rod....*evil grin*

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Naa, bags of room, these are the floueon 4000mah ones, soft case though.

I've an Orion 3s hardcase I can check for size? 

Thank's Bud, but don't worry checking the size, thats all I need just ideas floating around :D. The brain never seems to stop does it??

Happy Belated Birthday @Jonathon Gillham, Top Force turned up yet???

Today I painted some of the black trims on the Brat hard body while a Lipo was Charging. Which lead to the discovery that my Stadium Blitzer is now my fastest in the fleet. On Sport Tuned, NiMH, 13t pinion it was 30 odd KPH from memory. Now with 13.5t brushless, 2s, 1060 Hobbywing ESC, 14t pinion.......Well a bit quicker :o. How the heck people control bigger motors on 3s I'll never know, a 2 lane wide road suddenly seems much narrower.  What an absolute blast though :)

6bSkfyll.jpg?1

lEh8I9El.jpg

rjDEKlSl.jpg

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Happy Belated Birthday @Jonathon Gillham, Top Force turned up yet???

Thanks! I haven't seen a Top Force in ages, they have all sold out locally and are crazy money on ebay. Super Astutes are still around, if I had had a choice I would have got one of those, but then it's another buggy so this is probably a good result since its a bit different 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

The brain never seems to stop does it??

This is 4s (2 X super shortys) in a boomerang....🙄

2019-03-23_10-17-39

• Like 2

The third set of aluminum steering for the CC01. The first I used was the GPM which was an ultimate let down. The aluminum material is too soft and makes a lot of play. The screws also keeps on loosening every few steer turns. The second was the Xtra Speed which wasn't really an upgrade because it's just an aluminum version of the stock with no ball bearings at all and the play was lousy. This being the third by Hot Racing. Looks and steers better. 

bsvUtMZl.jpg

anvBK6Gl.jpg

wpETKJyl.jpg

BCK0w8Zl.jpg

XnbouAhl.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to pull apart the gearbox on the DT03 beach basher, not a great when you're greeted with.....

2019-07-18_12-17-28

I thought an hardened alloy would be upto the job....nope!

2019-07-18_12-17-02

Opening the casing wasn't good news either..

2019-07-18_12-16-35 2019-07-18_12-16-18

On a plus point,  all the superglue had been ripped off the diff gears, so a quick clean and grease, then the add of an O ring to lock it up a bit, good to go 😁

2019-07-18_12-14-54

Before I hit the beach again, I'm going to have to rethink the sealing of the gearbox, silicone sealant? Instant gasket? Or is there anything else anyone can think of? 🤔

• Like 1

Built a TT02D, its 58604 the R33 Skyline. It was a fun build, I haven't built a TT02 for a couple of years and they were TT02Bs. Its amazing how simple they are to put together, Tamiya have done a fantastic job of making an entry level kit. Nothing fiddly like my last builds and I was expecting a lot of slop but it went together really well.

Does anyone know the difference between the kits? The local club TT02 class says it must be a basic TT02 kit with limited hopus, being oil shocks, bearings, driveshaft, heatsink and probably a few others. The rules say no TT02S, R, RR or D kits, but I can't see why this wouldn't be allowed (other than the sport tuned motor, must use torque tuned). It looks like there is a D chassis kit without a body and that comes with hardened parts and then the kits with bodies which are more basic. This kit appears to be a stock TT02 with the hopups, so I can't see why it would breach the rules.

There is also a new drift club locally, I know the TT02 isn't considered a proper drifter but hey, I have it and it could be fun.

Have to do the body, I know gunmetal is Nissan's hero colour and I would look for a GTR in gunmetal if I was buying a real one, but I have red and blue paint already...

• Like 2

Started the refund process for the F2001 I didn’t receive. :mellow: