Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got a missed delivery ticket from RM which I am pretty sure is my Super Champ 😊 

Definitely the last model purchase this year.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Does anyone know the difference between the kits?

Basically the D, S, R and RR kits have hop ups or unique parts that can't be used.  You can easily downgrade the TT02D to stock TT02 parts.  From memory the D has some harder grey plastic parts for the steering so a stock black parts tree will be all you need.  Other than that you should be good to go.  They'd have to be hugely pedantic to not allow a kit just because of the box it came out of if you've changed it to a standard TT02 spec.  I suspect they state that just for new people who don't know any better.

One thing is they encourage a GT or similar racing car body so the Nissan might be frowned upon where you race.  At least that's what I read when I considered running in the local races.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blista said:

Basically the D, S, R and RR kits have hop ups or unique parts that can't be used.  You can easily downgrade the TT02D to stock TT02 parts.  From memory the D has some harder grey plastic parts for the steering so a stock black parts tree will be all you need.  Other than that you should be good to go.  They'd have to be hugely pedantic to not allow a kit just because of the box it came out of if you've changed it to a standard TT02 spec.  I suspect they state that just for new people who don't know any better.

One thing is they encourage a GT or similar racing car body so the Nissan might be frowned upon where you race.  At least that's what I read when I considered running in the local races.

Thanks, this had all black parts which are the same as my TT02B. I think the grey parts must be on the TT02D chassis kit, not the whole kit. This has worked out well since it has the necessary hopups which are shocks and bearings, and i would need new tyres anyway.

I wondered about the body too, i would prefer to keep the Skyline nice anyway since I have a thing for 90s Japanese cars.

• Like 2

Today I finished this:

2019-07-19_05-57-29

2019-07-19_05-59-38

It came to me like this:

2019-07-19_10-27-18

It now has full ballraces, a steel pinion, 2.4GHz radio, ESC, Carson wheels and tyres, red shocks with TL-01 style rubber tube inserts so they act as friction dampers rather than pogo sticks, heatshrink steering pushrod mod, red alloy wheel nuts, a coat of TS gloss aluminium paint on top of high build plastic primer to fill the scratches, and a driver figure. 

• Like 6

Took the clod-bullhead Big Bear for a drive on a 3S lipo. Snapped the 3D printed body posts in a roll so need to improve those.

Thought I'd use the remaining lipo charge to run basher Big Bear, but that has a T plug esc, and the lipo an EC3 plug... so next on the list is a T tot EC3 converter plug...

On 7/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, Wooders28 said:

Managed to pull apart the gearbox on the DT03 beach basher, not a great when you're greeted with.....

2019-07-18_12-17-28

I thought an hardened alloy would be upto the job....nope!

2019-07-18_12-17-02

Opening the casing wasn't good news either..

2019-07-18_12-16-35 2019-07-18_12-16-18

On a plus point,  all the superglue had been ripped off the diff gears, so a quick clean and grease, then the add of an O ring to lock it up a bit, good to go 😁

2019-07-18_12-14-54

Before I hit the beach again, I'm going to have to rethink the sealing of the gearbox, silicone sealant? Instant gasket? Or is there anything else anyone can think of? 🤔

Ouch...

how about plumber's faucet grease?  

It's plastic and rubber safe silicone.  Safe to use in drinking water pipes.  It won't really make things watertight like a sealant.  But watchmakers use it to waterproof watches.  I use it to keep fountain pens waterproof too.  Oh yes, I used it to lubricate a water faucet every 3 years or so when the faucet handle becomes jerky. 

Waterproofing a gearbox won't be as easy.  But it does a decent job keeping the dirt and water splashes out.  Very easy to wipe out also.    

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5-oz-Silicone-Faucet-Grease-88693/203193536

Below is Konghead gearbox with faucet grease on two halves.  I wouldn't dare using un-shielded bearings if I didn't use faucet grease to seal the gearbox itself.  

Ym6XyDo.jpg

2 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Ym6XyDo.jpg

Is that a Konghead or a grandfather clock???  Look at all those gears!!!  :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Today I finished this:

2019-07-19_05-57-29

2019-07-19_05-59-38

Who is the driver?  

Built some Axial SCX10ii axles.

3E35FC5D-843D-4BF1-B066-B25CE42E7D3A.jpg

I have now a couple of non-Tamiya projects to add to the list of my unfinished Tamiya builds.

10 minutes ago, Juggular said:

how about plumber's faucet grease?

Never heard of that, but looked on eBay for, silicone grease ,and found - 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143302960558

Wondering if I just use the silicone grease around the 2 halves, clean of excess , and put silicone sealant all around the outside?

I've also ordered a hardened steel pinion, that was a hardened alloy, which maybe didn't help things.

18 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Ym6XyDo.jpg

Always impressed with the konghead gear set up 😲😁

21 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Who is the driver?  

I believe it is a young Anakin Skywalker in podracing garb - a suitable choice I thought given the spaceshippy looks of the bodyshell.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I believe it is a young Anakin Skywalker in podracing garb - a suitable choice I thought given the spaceshippy looks of the bodyshell.

lol... I did get the Star Wars vibe... and it's oddly fitting too! Good choice.

May the Force be with you!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Wondering if I just use the silicone grease around the 2 halves, clean of excess , and put silicone sealant all around the outside? 

A bit of grease wouldn't hurt between the 2 halves, but the sealant around the out side could get messy. It tends to go everywhere except where you want it to at times. It could also make future maintenance tricky.

I don't have a DT03 but looking at pictures of one online the end of the motor looks very exposed to collecting what the back tyres throw at it.

This is where I found dirt getting onto the spur & pinion, straight through the brushless motor on my Javelin, so I just cut a gasket out of an old servo box between the motor and motor mount plate as the hole in the plate is quite large. I made the hole in the gasket the size of the motor shaft and the pinion and spur have been squeaky clean since.

3pxKFz3l.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My least favourite task. Cutting the body. Doesn’t matter how I do it, scissors/knife, I hate it! I was seriously happy when I opened the box on my Schumacher Cougar and it has a pre cut shell. Anyway. 

The GF01 has a lid!

Tamiya GF01

Needs a little bit of tidying up before even thinking about painting. The girls want hot pink!

Need to sort the driver out too. 

Wondering if it could be mounted a little lower but at the rear its already at its lowest so would end up nose down.

Think I’ll trim body posts too at some point. Absolutely loads left free at both ends  

Picture gives a good idea of how much wider the TL01b arms make it. 

And yes. Still not tidied up the wiring 😳!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

My least favourite task. Cutting the body. Doesn’t matter how I do it, scissors/knife, I hate it! I was seriously happy when I opened the box on my Schumacher Cougar and it has a pre cut shell. Anyway. 

The GF01 has a lid!

Tamiya GF01

Needs a little bit of tidying up before even thinking about painting. The girls want hot pink!

Need to sort the driver out too. 

Wondering if it could be mounted a little lower but at the rear its already at its lowest so would end up nose down.

Think I’ll trim body posts too at some point. Absolutely loads left free at both ends  

Picture gives a good idea of how much wider the TL01b arms make it. 

And yes. Still not tidied up the wiring 😳!

That’s mental from that angle! Is it wider than it is long? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

That’s mental from that angle! Is it wider than it is long? :lol:

Just checked. It’s roughly 330mm/13in wide and 279mm/11in long of taken purely from wheels. Overall it is longer if we factor in bumper and wheelie bar. 

Think the crazy proportions at what make it. Everyone who’s seen it in the flesh so far thinks it looks great and I agree!

Seriously tempted to get another for myself! If you could still get the Suzuki Jimmy I’d be all other it. I am tempted to build a GF01 with Willy body but not a cheap way of doing things. 

14 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Seriously tempted to get another for myself! If you could still get the Suzuki Jimmy I’d be all other it. I am tempted to build a GF01 with Willy body but not a cheap way of doing things. 

Jimmy body sets are still fairly readily available on ebay from Japan & for decent money too. I’ve tried a WW2 body On a GF01 but I did have a few clearance issues (probably as I like to sit my bodies low on the chassis), it may also be a reason they use lexan bodies on the GF01 as there are no issues with them. 

• Thanks 1

I’ll have to investigate this TL01b extension, my GF01 could do with some reinvigoration. I’m looking forward to seeing the running videos of this beast!

• Like 1

Finally got the trailer panels done and put together.

Oh boy what a fiddley job that was. But luckily i managed to get them sitting level first time:P. I had to undo some of the screw's I'd painted over but no biggie.

Put the tyre stickers on and need to put some of the kit sticker's also and i want to get some operator/owner decals made up for the panels and rear doors.

Apart from the metal and the plastic taken on the paint in a diff shade its not turned out that bad.

IMG_20190720_150040.jpg

IMG_20190720_145636.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, max69vk said:

Jimmy body sets are still fairly readily available on ebay from Japan & for decent money too. I’ve tried a WW2 body On a GF01 but I did have a few clearance issues (probably as I like to sit my bodies low on the chassis), it may also be a reason they use lexan bodies on the GF01 as there are no issues with them. 

Will look into it. 

Thinking behind Willy body on GF01 is that it should be 4x4 not rwd. Not that it matters in reality!

58 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I’ll have to investigate this TL01b extension, my GF01 could do with some reinvigoration. I’m looking forward to seeing the running videos of this beast!

Pretty straight forward. Just need the TL01B C-parts x2. Everything you need is on there apart from the steering links which you will need to make yourself. 

• Like 1

Set about my Iconic Revival prep today - I haven't left it late at all... honest!

First job was to remove the Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC from my TXT-2 as I wanted to drop that into my Boomerang (to replace a TBLE-02S). I have a Hobbywing XR8 SCT to go in the TXT as a replacement.

While I'd got the TXT apart, so I could unsolder the motor connections, I took the opportunity to swap the 21t pinion for a 20t.

I didn't get the new ESC into the TXT as one of my 5 year olds was "helping" me so I didn't want to be doing too much with hot soldering irons and heat guns.

Got the 10BL120 into the Boomerang though.

Next job was to replace a front upper arm on the Boomer. I thought the thread had stripped in the hinge pin hole of the arm. On closer inspection it's actually the thread on the hinge pin that has failed. Over half of it just isn't there anymore! Must have been faulty from the factory.

At least I've got some things ticked off of my (long) list.

• Like 2

Technically yesterday....Cancelled the Losi Baja Raptor I ordered and placed an order for a Super Clod Buster instead!

Two reasons for this... not being comfortable with buying an RTR was the main one,I really do enjoy the build process. The other reason, since building my TXT-2, I have a new found love for monster trucks. The Clod had always appealed to me when I was a kid but recently less so. Then I saw this in another post:

index.jpeg

I have ordered the chrome C parts and will try to track down the black F parts to re-create this fine beast. I hope the owner of this Clod doesn't mind me copying them. I'll probably go with gloss black paint rather than Satin so not a carbon copy! Lighting and some whip aerials would complete the look.

• Like 4