Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Had a blast on a homemade grass track today, Egress performed well, Cat was a bit too much, my Top Force got hungry amd decided to eat its spur gear. I'm running 2s, a 1080 esc and Tamiya BZ motor, so not crazy.

On a previous build i bolted the rear gearbox cover down, got the idea from here. Are there any other solutions to this?

20190720_205602.thumb.jpg.35f360e37eba65bbc44dca8356d5ad55.jpg

• Like 1

Finished the shell on my new Comical Hornet.

Drew a sketch a few days ago (just traced over the pic in the instructions, never thought if that before!) and have been working towards that. Been tweaking along the way based on what stickers I have, what I can grab from hobbycraft (i’m loving the 80’s vibe of the gold pin stripes, £1.10 a pack!) and trying cover up the ropey masking in my four colour paint job.

the idea for the design came without much conscious thought, but as it has turned out it is clear inspired by late 80s Silk Cut Jaguars, the Jun Watanabe Hornet and some nice sticker sets I’ve seen recently on massdamper.co.jp, a mini4wd site.

64B07573-FA30-4023-85A3-524DB8DDC2D1.jpeg

2D5923FE-BA32-442A-B8AA-DDCE8F4A63D5.jpeg

• Like 9

On 7/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, Wooders28 said:

Managed to pull apart the gearbox on the DT03 beach basher, not a great when you're greeted with.....

2019-07-18_12-17-28

I thought an hardened alloy would be upto the job....nope!

2019-07-18_12-17-02

Opening the casing wasn't good news either..

2019-07-18_12-16-35 2019-07-18_12-16-18

On a plus point,  all the superglue had been ripped off the diff gears, so a quick clean and grease, then the add of an O ring to lock it up a bit, good to go 😁

2019-07-18_12-14-54

Before I hit the beach again, I'm going to have to rethink the sealing of the gearbox, silicone sealant? Instant gasket? Or is there anything else anyone can think of? 🤔

I've honestly carried on using gears that bad for bashers :lol:, the ones in my Slash clone are probably worse at the moment, I'm going to keep going till the teeth come off!

Mind you, the gears are so cheap it's no real hardship to just replace them. If I didn't have my little Lidl ultrasonic cleaner I would toss them because it wouldn't be worth the effort cleaning them.

That's crazy how much got in though, my daughter has a Kumamon buggy that spends half it's life at the beach and it didn't get sand in it like this, silly question but do you have the paper gasket between the motor and gearbox? If you find any major weakness, let us know! I bash a lot in sand and dirt etc so anything that helps to keep sand and grit out is good to know. It might help to go along the gearbox joins with some thick grease when you rebuild. I think some people like @kontemax use strips os self adhesive foam for the same purpose? That seems to work well too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, topforcein said:

Finally got the trailer panels done and put together.

Oh boy what a fiddley job that was. But luckily i managed to get them sitting level first time:P. I had to undo some of the screw's I'd painted over but no biggie.

Put the tyre stickers on and need to put some of the kit sticker's also and i want to get some operator/owner decals made up for the panels and rear doors.

Apart from the metal and the plastic taken on the paint in a diff shade its not turned out that bad.

IMG_20190720_150040.jpg

IMG_20190720_145636.jpg

Very nice 👍🏻👍🏻 

Do the all the spot lights on the front come in the kit as depicted on the box or are they optional extras??

• Like 2

Yeah you have done an absolute cracker of a job on that @topforcein

Can I make a minor suggestion? Colour in those spotlight wires with a marker or some paint and a brush. Otherwise, that looks 😍

• Like 2

Did a basic ps5 black paint job on my Proline body for my stampede, also reamed the factory dimples thinking they were the same as the old body.

Nope they are 10-15mm back. Maybe it is for a 4wd stampede.<_<

Before:

38G6gYE.jpg

After:

ce5pDn5.jpg

• Like 5

Ran this

Wore out this

yPc8xZW.jpg

Tore that car down to build something new (drift car)
M1r6KQA.jpg

And stole the electronics to finish this
V8gQwKw.jpg

Ran that, which promptly wore out this

JaKoBdy.jpg

Also glued a new set of TC wheels/tyres
13t2hno.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Mind you, the gears are so cheap it's no real hardship to just replace them.

Thats it, new gears were a fiver delivered,  wasn't worth pulling it apart not to change them! 

silly question but do you have the paper gasket between the motor and gearbox?

Urm...no, I've ditched them off all my cars, figured I'd get better cooling (most of the other cars have alloy motor plate), but will be going full gasket as @Re-Bugged suggested.

That's crazy how much got in though, my daughter has a Kumamon buggy that spends half it's life at the beach and it didn't get sand in it like this

I'm thinking the 3800kv, 3s lipo and paddle tyres helped the process somewhat, the roost hurt!! 😳😂😂

(That's why in the vid , the car is closer to the sea than the family is, I got a row off the wife for chucking sand everywhere🙄🙈

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Urm...no, I've ditched them off all my cars, figured I'd get better cooling

Ahh. That could well play a part. I used to leave them off too until I realised that motors are incredibly good at transferring debris into gearboxes, often the air holes line up with unused screw holes and stuff like that. It's surprising what can make it's way into such small holes, my Slash clone is so true to the original that it has the same "drain holes" in the rear bulkhead, it's amazing what can get into the holes. Perhaps even more amazing though is that someone at Traxxas thought 2 holes in the bulkhead directly under the spur gear was a good idea! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Very nice 👍🏻👍🏻 

Do the all the spot lights on the front come in the kit as depicted on the box or are they optional extras??

thanks very much

yeah all the lights work on the front including the 2 little ones in the roof each side of the spots and the bottom fog lights i did have to use the side running leds for the roof spots thought so they are yellow instead of white.

for this the step lights are not wired up and the 2 on the fuel tanks are not wired either

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, berman said:

Yeah you have done an absolute cracker of a job on that @topforcein

Can I make a minor suggestion? Colour in those spotlight wires with a marker or some paint and a brush. Otherwise, that looks 😍

thanks very much.

yeah i agree with you on the wires as soon as i put them in i have been looking at a way to hide them.

and tbh i aint taking that cab of again as their is not any room to hide the mfu neatly so its a bit of a mess under there esp compared to my grandhauler.

• Like 1

Girls love it, which is what matters, but I’m not happy. 

First. Get your sunglasses!

Tamiya GF01

Suffered from a lot of bleed around the edges. Using proper Tamiya tape too. Not sure what went wrong. The flowers have perfect clean edges the arches not. Even the window masks had bleeding. 

Wondering if it’s the paint, used CoreRC stuff  not impressed compared to Tamiya stuff personally.

Hopefully the transfers will mask some of the bad spots.

Like I say though. The girls don’t care and it’s going to get beat to badword and back by them so no need to get too precious. 

• Like 6

After picking up a new leisure battery this morning, this evening I had chance to finish off my Revival prep on my TXT-2.

Having changed the motor pinion and removed the old ESC yesterday, tonight it was a case of soldering up the new ESC and mounting it in the truck.

The new ESC is a Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT. Now that it is fitted it just needs setting up with my TX and programming. But that's a job for another day.

So the Revival prep currently stands at:

Boomerang - waiting for new hinge pins and ESC programming.

TXT-2 - waiting for ESC programming

Top Force - waiting for lots of stuff!! :blink:

• Like 2

Did a bit more with my scorcher, (work in progress) this has been my 10th scorcher build and normally I could build and paint one of these with such ease but this one strangely I've had a bit of a fight with the chassis was as usual very enjoyable but the body has been given me a bit of a headache🤔 firstly it was twisted every time I put the body post in the front the rear clip would pop off on one side and when I put it on a flat surface the rear quarter was in the air (bit of heat problem fixed) then the paint of which I've used many times before decided to react all along the running boards🤯 probably something on the body itself and the tamiya masking tape of which again I've  used many many times before decided to bleed? Very strange😕

20190720_154255.jpg

• Like 8

21 hours ago, moffman said:

probably something on the body itself and the tamiya masking tape of which again I've  used many many times before decided to bleed? Very strange

Weird. Wonder if bad batch. Same problem I had above. Only difference being paint brand. 

The gf01 shell was slightly twisted at the front also. Can’t tell when clipped down mind. 

• Like 1

Teddy drove like she stole it tonight. 

48350043412_7447db50e3_b.jpg

Then I had too many donuts 

48350043292_f4177011df_b.jpg

Now i feel like a Clod owner :wub:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Weird. Wonder if bad batch. Same problem I had above. Only difference being paint brand. 

The gf01 shell was slightly twisted at the front also. Can’t tell when clipped down mind. 

The paint I used was tamiya racing white and tamiya French blue (which is sky blue in brush form strangely) 

The CR01 is slowly coming together.  I accidentally used the wrong screws in the chassis which became apparent when I put the axles together.  Luckily it was easy to change them out.  Really interesting build so far.  I was happy to see thread lock is included with this kit, despite already having some I'd bought for a different kit, because so much is being used.

q13K3Ho.jpg

• Like 4

Installed a new fan. This Surpass fan is really fast. Even faster than the R1 Wurks fan.

1g9d4IWh.jpg

dIhtj8fh.jpg

• Like 5

I'm converting my M06 911 GT2 to another rear-engine RWD car.  I bought a copy of the 3D printable file and modified it to fit a 239mm config M06, this one is a rough print as I didn't even know if it would fit for sure! I should have the last few pieces printed soon:

Z6X4TOk.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

I'm converting my M06 911 GT2 to another rear-engine RWD car.  I bought a copy of the 3D printable file and modified it to fit a 239mm config M06, this one is a rough print as I didn't even know if it would fit for sure! I should have the last few pieces printed soon:

Z6X4TOk.jpg

i think you may have a market for that.:wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally ran this thing last night while one of my kids ran a Super Clod.  The Super Clod seemed to smoke this old thing.

It has the original manual speed control. I realized how much I hate manual speed controllers. Fun to run though!  I'm replacing it with an ESC soon.

tF76di9.jpg

• Like 2

it may be oldskool but it looks fantastic. Colour is just perfect