Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Stop the bus!

Is anyone else seeing what im seeing printed on the box? That was never there before!

Where can you find a 23T sport tuned? None of the boxes I've had were printed with a motor turn #. Someone needs to test a 23t Sport Tuned against one in a box without it printed to see if there is a major difference.

Exactly this! The old black sport tuned was a 27t with advanced timing (Blackholesun opened one up and counted the coils) Its thought was only the very very early ones that were ever 23T and long discontinued.

This has the potential to be quite a bit quicker and as its half the price of the superstock 23 turn motors will be very interesting to see how it performs. Im keen to get one but it seems all the ones in the uk for sale are the old stock black cans.

36 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Exactly this! The old black sport tuned was a 27t with advanced timing (Blackholesun opened one up and counted the coils) Its thought was only the very very early ones that were ever 23T and long discontinued.

This has the potential to be quite a bit quicker and as its half the price of the superstock 23 turn motors will be very interesting to see how it performs. Im keen to get one but it seems all the ones in the uk for sale are the old stock black cans.

I've noticed on the past few torque tuned I've seen that the markings put on the motor by Mabuchi themselves actually state it's a 25t too rather than a 27t with advanced timing. I know Tamiya were happy for people to think otherwise but surely Mabuchi themselves wouldn't lie about it?

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

Where can you find a 23T sport tuned? None of the boxes I've had were printed with a motor turn #. Someone needs to test a 23t Sport Tuned against one in a box without it printed to see if there is a major difference.

haha, i bought it on amazon. i'll see if i can measure the top speed soon if you wish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Not slow, but neither is 1/10 EP/TC mod on a big track, or 1/12 pan cars on virtually any track. I was more referring to bashers than on road racing though - if you're on throttle more than you aren't, it's slow :) Most sub-$1k nitro bashers are slow.

There's no doubt nitro can be incredibly fast but yeah, in terms of bashers, I think people convince themselves that all the noise equates to speed.

And of course, Nitro was definitely kind for big power until brushless came along. The reputation just seems to have stuck though even though it has been over a decade since Nitro dominated. 

There's still biased people out there making unfair comparisons too which doesn't help. There's a video on Youtube comparing a brushless FTX Carnage to a Nitro version. The electric is faster off the line but the Nitro has a better top speed. What they don't mention is that the brushless one was running one of those finned motors so even a 380 brushless can compete well with a nitro in that instance. A full size 540 can would have blown it away.

There's also a guy on YT with an admittedly beautiful and highly modded TLR truggy but his bias is insane. There's one video where his hugely expensive rig can barely if at all pull away from Slashes running 3s not to mention the fact that the slash is an off road basher that can't hope to corner as fast as as a Losi truggy on-road. In another video he races an X-Maxx, A massive stunt monster truck vs a highly honed racing truggy. Not a valid comparison. He made an insanely massive deal about some guys ESC burning out too as if it was a common occurrence with electric. 

The guy probably has some of the best Nitros on YT and they are simply stunning plus the guys expertise and experience is simply mind blowing but the constant vendetta against electric really spoils it. I've never seen any elec people which such an obsession about nitro.

I'd be interested to see how the electric version of that truggy would compare to his nitro.

32 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

There's no doubt nitro can be incredibly fast but yeah, in terms of bashers, I think people convince themselves that all the noise equates to speed.

And of course, Nitro was definitely kind for big power until brushless came along. The reputation just seems to have stuck though even though it has been over a decade since Nitro dominated. 

There's still biased people out there making unfair comparisons too which doesn't help. There's a video on Youtube comparing a brushless FTX Carnage to a Nitro version. The electric is faster off the line but the Nitro has a better top speed. What they don't mention is that the brushless one was running one of those finned motors so even a 380 brushless can compete well with a nitro in that instance. A full size 540 can would have blown it away.

There's also a guy on YT with an admittedly beautiful and highly modded TLR truggy but his bias is insane. There's one video where his hugely expensive rig can barely if at all pull away from Slashes running 3s not to mention the fact that the slash is an off road basher that can't hope to corner as fast as as a Losi truggy on-road. In another video he races an X-Maxx, A massive stunt monster truck vs a highly honed racing truggy. Not a valid comparison. He made an insanely massive deal about some guys ESC burning out too as if it was a common occurrence with electric. 

The guy probably has some of the best Nitros on YT and they are simply stunning plus the guys expertise and experience is simply mind blowing but the constant vendetta against electric really spoils it. I've never seen any elec people which such an obsession about nitro.

I'd be interested to see how the electric version of that truggy would compare to his nitro.

Sorry I can’t agree with you that the biggest bias is from Nitro guys against electric. Most of the Nitro guys I know, also have electric, but not many (if any) electric guys have any nitro cars, but are quick to knock it, as seen in this thread “I’ve never owned one but they’re slow” type comments are the normal response. Everything has its place in the hobby. I race competitively and I far more enjoy racing my 1/8 off road cars due to the realism of it, and the much longer races. There are electric 1/8 classes and these things have insane torque, but lap times are no faster than the Nitro versions.

Yes my race cars are expensive, but no more expensive than an equivalent 1/8 E buggy or truggy. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, Superluminal said:

Stop the bus!

Is anyone else seeing what im seeing printed on the box? That was never there before!

I never noticed till you said 😂

Checking the box on one I picked up in Brisbane recently as a spare motor, the shop owner did make a point however to tell me that they are actually a silver colour can now with a black sticker on and the last guy that bought one rang up when he got home because he was a bit ‘miffed’ that the motor wasn’t black anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

There are electric 1/8 classes and these things have insane torque, but lap times are no faster than the Nitro versions.

That probably comes more down to the chassis than motor power. Nitro or electric, if you have the will you can put enough motor power in a car to make it wheelie (or do a rolling burnout) constantly yet you never see anyone popping a wheelie down the entire main straight on a racetrack - having a car with that much power is just uncontrollable and not very fun to drive so it's either banned, or in the unlimited classes people just don't do it because it's not consistent enough to win races. The difference in lap times between foam tyre and rubber tyre cars is far greater than the difference between high turn rubber tyre and mod rubber tyre because both rubber tyre cars can only corner so quickly before they loose traction (or roll). The only difference in speeds is on the straights. With modern ESCs you can calm down the stall torque and increase the mid-top end torque which makes it have a powerband more like a nitro. 

I'm an 'electric guy' because the maintenance is far easier and running costs are lower - 'fuel' is virtually free, and electric does not need warming up, retuning of oily bits, doesn't disturb quiet neighbourhoods and doesn't care about atmospheric conditions - it'll make the same power rain, hail or shine. If you leave it on a shelf for 5 years it will still run like did the last time it ran. Instant torque makes it more usable in a smaller area - but can eat drivetrains.

32 minutes ago, nbTMM said:

That probably comes more down to the chassis than motor power. Nitro or electric, if you have the will you can put enough motor power in a car to make it wheelie (or do a rolling burnout) constantly yet you never see anyone popping a wheelie down the entire main straight on a racetrack - having a car with that much power is just uncontrollable and not very fun to drive so it's either banned, or in the unlimited classes people just don't do it because it's not consistent enough to win races. The difference in lap times between foam tyre and rubber tyre cars is far greater than the difference between high turn rubber tyre and mod rubber tyre because both rubber tyre cars can only corner so quickly before they loose traction (or roll). The only difference in speeds is on the straights. With modern ESCs you can calm down the stall torque and increase the mid-top end torque which makes it have a powerband more like a nitro. 

I'm an 'electric guy' because the maintenance is far easier and running costs are lower - 'fuel' is virtually free, and electric does not need warming up, retuning of oily bits, doesn't disturb quiet neighbourhoods and doesn't care about atmospheric conditions - it'll make the same power rain, hail or shine. If you leave it on a shelf for 5 years it will still run like did the last time it ran. Instant torque makes it more usable in a smaller area - but can eat drivetrains.

Ok I’m not going to argue with you, other than to say again, you are commenting about owning and running Nitro, when you said yourself you never have.

I’m not knocking electric power at all, or the ease of plug and play, they each have their place in the hobby.

oh and again, I disagree about running costs also, and I race both so can comment with some knowledge

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

At Iconic Revival 4WD day...

X-ld47A-gJGxJQrDXCI3SbHhTNV7WOzKY-cDhuTi

z9FvCFS2l1skTn0Fb75axY4UVzo54W5ZHK-jhvHS

Looks great, how did your day go? Cars finish everything? Good fun regardless of how well the cars went?

Jamie and I had a 10th scale club day today. We were down to 1 car at one point - Jamies speedo gave up and I broke a rear arm as I jumped and somehow ended up in a flat spin into a post, a narrow little post that are every metre or so. One of the guys had an old speedo which they soldered up and got Jamie going again, I was stoked. Its a very old Trackstar one but will work fine, and I didn't have to solder it up.

We have a really good 4wd 17.5T blinky class with close racing at the club. The new buggy has put me in the mix but usually in the middle or the back of the lead group of about 10 drivers which is separated by 20secs over a 6min race. Basically, if you don't crash and get some clear air you have a good chance, but a couple of crashes or some bad luck and its all over. Fun times.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Looks great, how did your day go? Cars finish everything? Good fun regardless of how well the cars went?

Jamie and I had a 10th scale club day today. We were down to 1 car at one point - Jamies speedo gave up and I broke a rear arm as I jumped and somehow ended up in a flat spin into a post, a narrow little post that are every metre or so. One of the guys had an old speedo which they soldered up and got Jamie going again, I was stoked. Its a very old Trackstar one but will work fine, and I didn't have to solder it up.

We have a really good 4wd 17.5T blinky class with close racing at the club. The new buggy has put me in the mix but usually in the middle or the back of the lead group of about 10 drivers which is separated by 20secs over a 6min race. Basically, if you don't crash and get some clear air you have a good chance, but a couple of crashes or some bad luck and its all over. Fun times.

Not started yet!

Practice is underway at the moment. Although I missed my practice rounds so will be going into the first heat cold!

But you don't need to practice with a Boomerang right? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Not started yet!

Practice is underway at the moment. Although I missed my practice rounds so will be going into the first heat cold!

But you don't need to practice with a Boomerang right? ;)

Thats me every race meet, never organised enough to practice! And no practice required, Boomerangs practically drive themselves 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thats me every race meet, never organised enough to practice! And no practice required, Boomerangs practically drive themselves 

I guess with a boomer you throw into a corner and it just naturally comes straight back to you? 😉

• Haha 3

On 7/27/2019 at 9:31 AM, nowinaminute said:

Drove an electric, got asked what "CC" it was.

I get it every time I go out these days.

I've got nothing but love for Nitro but why do the uninitiated still have it in their head that Nitro is the be all and end all of RC after all these years? It would be like people coming up and asking about your discman when clearly it's an ipod.

"whoahh that's well fast, what CC is it?"
"It's electric"
*confused look* "oh right.....it looked like it was fast"
"well it has a brushless motor and it's running on 4s"
*lobotomy face* "my cousin had a petrol one"

On 7/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, nbTMM said:

Lol. I've never owned a petrol/nitro rc car but whenever I see one my first thought is 'holy cow that is slow'.

Oh dear what have you started :lol:

I suppose its just one of those things people will always agree to disagree on. One man's pleasure can be another man's pain ;)

When considering a new addition to my fleet I try and choose something that will suit a different mood to what I feel like driving, be it 4WD fast nimble predictable, 2WD tail happy sliding, on-road, off-road, or for the pleasure of seeing something in motion for nothing more than that. The Nitro or Electric aspect just adds another dimension to the experience, and at the end of the day it comes down to as many different experiences as I can. I remember first diving into Lipo thinking 'Wow, Nitro was less hassle than this' But you get used to it and once you get comfortable with it, its just part of the hobby.

This of course is all from a non racer point of view, and I'm enjoying all of them. 

Electric or Nitro is all good by me :)

aDj6G7dl.jpg

Tdg43BCl.jpg

• Like 12

Well the Revival adventure didn't go too well.

Ran my first heat with the Boomerang, the track was soaking wet with plenty of standing water. As I'd missed practice I took it steady to learn the track. At one point I hit a puddle and the car stopped and wouldn't respond. A few seconds later it came back to life and I could finish the heat. I ended up last but it was fun.

A few heats later I thought I was supposed to be running my Top Force. Turns out there was a mix up and I was in the wrong category. Wasn't really too bothered as I think my TF is too nice to run in these conditions.

Short while later there was an announcement that my first heat was being re-run. Some timing problem in the heats before mine apparently, so mine had to be run again to even things up.

On the start line for the re-run heat I noticed I only had intermittent reverse. Forward was ok so I carried on. Knowing the track better now I tried to run a bit harder than I had in the previous run.

I managed a third of a lap then caught a hose wrong, cart wheeled the Boomer and pulled the lower ball joint out of the front upright.

Back in the pits I fixed the upright then, whilst testing found that throttle response was patchy. No reverse and intermittent forwards. Tried recalibrating the ESC and that didn't help. In fact it wouldn't even calibrate properly.

I suspect it's the sensors in the motor. Water has probably gotten in. I've got a spare motor with me but I don't really want to risk killing another one.

So my day is done.

Lipos are storage charging whilst I wait for the raffle to be drawn before I head home.

• Like 3

I ended up with a poorly painted, ugly, around $30 Mad Bull a couple months ago. I stripped the god-awful paint from the body, sanded it, and have yet to paint it (still ugly, but better than the paint that was on there). My kids and I decided to get out and go for a run on Saturday evening. I threw the Mad Bull in the trunk but didn't have a plan to run it until I realized I took the wrong radio with me on the Traxxas I had brought.

I hate how ugly the Bull is, I hate the body, the stupid big tires, and the cheap-o look to it. So many things I hate. BUT, it ran great and was fun as heck. It runs as stupidly as it is ugly but it is now one of my favorite cars to run. :) 

hXbUDk2.jpg

• Like 3

@tamiya_1971 I decal all my Mad Bull bodies as Grasshopper2's. Looks much better. MCI Racing have three optional decal set options too. I helped nathaneal make the grasshopper2 jnr dress up decals 1/10th scale. Few options in there to make it look a bit better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@tamiya_1971 I decal all my Mad Bull bodies as Grasshopper2's. Looks much better. MCI Racing have three optional decal set options too. I helped nathaneal make the grasshopper2 jnr dress up decals 1/10th scale. Few options in there to make it look a bit better. 

I think a Grasshopper 2 would be an excellent idea. I'll check out the decals on MCI.

Rigged up my ‘spray booth’ in the garage - a Wilco shower curtain - ready for a day off tomorrow.

Then got carried away and put some gunmetal on an old ORV chassis in an attempt to inspire me to rebuild it.

34B9BE50-88AD-413D-86AF-BAAAC0B332EE.jpg

Then put some primer on some CR01 beadlock rings ahead of some colour.

66A9728A-08BA-47C8-9480-CDD3A2D29C69.jpg

My second ever use of spray cans after completing my Bowler shell.

I continued to tidy up my Asterion shell ahead of putting on some colour- all being well - tomorrow. My last cut was under the front grille and I’m really pleased with it. A shame the rear arches are so bad. This will have to be a trial / runner shell and I’ll revisit it as I get better at cutting lexan. Pics once it has some colour on it. If I don’t ruin it...

• Like 2

I've had a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen for some time unused, so the Brat hard body was a more than suitable candidate to try it on.

Wow it is exactly what it says it is, I could of done with this stuff many years ago when I was building 1/24 scale Trucks.

I was struggling a bit at first as the tip of the pen has a round end and kept slipping off the trims and getting where I didn't want it, so I cut a flat edge at an angle on on side of the tip with a knife which helped immensely. The trims came out really well ( for me anyway while also getting used to wearing reading glasses for close up now B) ). Covering larger area's like bumpers took a couple of attempts straight from the pen, so if you have an air brush I've seen that work perfectly on YouTube by a guy spraying a Robot., Although not quite in the same league as some off the big guns on here for crisp, clean, precision, @Truck Norris, @speedy_w_beans, & @JennyMo to name but a few, yet this Liquid Chrome makes me look whole lot better than I actually am, so I'm happy with that :). And hey after all Rome wasn't built in a day was it ;). Time for a coffee.

r2h7ox5l.jpg

• Like 12