Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, dannymulder said:

A month ago I bought a konghead, after a month thinking what to do with it, make a basher car out of it with long suspension arms or make it a crawler scale truck, I decided to make a crawler scale truck of it, because it is never going to be a high speed basher and it looks much nicer as a scale truck.

I ordered some crawler tires, wheels, cvd,s alloy c hubs and knuckles and a lot of other stuf today, so when it arrives the build can begin.

Another 6x6 !!!! its catching on. More wheels on the ground at any one time must be good

What's all this then?

i-rnGNNcj-XL.jpg

Yes, I couldn't resist starting yet another project in an effort to use up all the parts I've bought but not used recently...

Stay tuned!

Jenny x

• Like 7

On 8/2/2019 at 10:25 PM, JennyMo said:

What's all this then?

i-rnGNNcj-XL.jpg

Yes, I couldn't resist starting yet another project in an effort to use up all the parts I've bought but not used recently...

Stay tuned!

Jenny x

I'm not sure but the blocks of wood need a rub down and a coat of varnish 

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

thats really cool. I was going to offer you some Red Bull stickers that I might use on a Stadium Blitzer shell. Can you get these decals with proper sponsers rather than Tamiya jumble

Have a look at MCI Racing for reproductions of old Tamiya (and others) decals - a lot of the original models were licensed. Nathaneal  also does non-specific sheets.

You can also design your own decals (way out of my league) or change colours if you are doing a custom paint job. 

https://mciracing.ca/t/sponsor-decals

There is also screenprintdigital in the U.K. on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/screenprintdigital

10 hours ago, JennyMo said:

What's all this then?

i-rnGNNcj-XL.jpg

Stay tuned!

Jenny x

You bought axles so you could use the brake disks? ;)

Will stay tuned for developments...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JennyMo said:

What's all this then?

i-rnGNNcj-XL.jpg

Stay tuned!

Jenny x

The problem Jen is having is that model wood not run..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Have a look at MCI Racing for reproductions of old Tamiya (and others) decals - a lot of the original models were licensed. Nathaneal  also does non-specific sheets.

You can also design your own decals (way out of my league) or change colours if you are doing a custom paint job. 

https://mciracing.ca/t/sponsor-decals

There is also screenprintdigital in the U.K. on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/screenprintdigital

That's where my Red Bull ones came from

38 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

The problem Jen is having is that model wood not run..... 

I think you need another set of axles to be on trend. 6x6 rules

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

You bought axles so you could use the brake disks? ;)

Will stay tuned for developments...

Ha - pretty much actually!

It's true I've had these discs for a while, and really wanted to use them on something - but the hexes are rather short, so if you put a deep wheel on them you can't really see the disc face through the spokes which is a shame...

Anyway, it sort of works now - build thread: Here  although ultimately I may still have to resign them to the spares box once again, depending on my final wheel selection...

Jx

• Like 2

I mentioned to a gentleman at my RC club that I was looking for Group C chassis car and he said I don't have one of those but I do have..... Well we done the deal earlier:

20190805_115724 20190805_115807 20190805_115846 20190805_120354 20190805_120604

The GT-one is stunning, I'm very happy to get my mitts on it :) I have an F103GT with a Mugen finished body already so I may end up passing this one on. I'm still looking for a Group C car so if anyone has one that their willing to part with please drop me a PM.

• Like 7

Blackfoot got cleaned, sand is a bitch.

48466938536_b50945c258_b.jpg

AWG + sand = crunchy metal eating paste

• Like 1

Took my freshly built Hotshot out for a quick blast, loved every minute of it!

I put in a "modest" 3000KV brushless and with the larger of the two kit pinions it seems like a great match for it, fierce acceleration and the top speed is pretty good too for "only" 3000KV 

I was very impressed with the overall handling. I wasn't quite sure what to expect having owned a Boomerang which is known to handle better but it wasn't as far off as I had anticipated. Yes it bump steers and lacks the sophistication of more modern platforms but still, for an 80s buggy with weird style-over-substance mono shocks, it handled that brushless motor in it's stride! I was tearing it around on the tarmac and it didn't come close to traction rolling even once, I'm sure the hard tyres help in that department. On dirt and gravel the suspension did an admirable job of absorbing bumps and conforming to the surface. The only thing it probably wouldn't be good at is big jumping because of the tendency for the front suspension to bottom out but that doesn't bother me, I'm just glad it handles as well as it does with the stock setup, now I know I will get a lot of enjoyment from it without compromising the looks.

It's that perfect sweet spot between great and terrible handling, it's not the most composed of buggies but it's easy enough to at least wrestle it into going where you want. It has many handling flaws but it's still planted enough to be relatively stable and catchable, even with the kind of power it's designers never dreamed of.

• Like 2

Oh and also, I won a somewhat rough and badly described Mad Bull on eBay for £12. It's a bit beaten but mostly complete and the seller said the tyres were still good when I asked them.

Screenshot_20190806-003204_eBay.thumb.jpg.2ae33075aa57aa5a5f9b35d595d9620b.jpg

I'm going to merge it with my Fighter Buggy RX and make a Mad Bull Fighter lol.

I pretty much never drive the RX and it already has the DT03 CVA kit so I reckon I can make up a half decent basher.

I have a 3d printed front double wishbone conversion I never got round to fitting too. Hmmmm.

After the sacrilege of making a half decent handling Lunchbox, dare I attempt the same with with a Mad Bull?

htfYh29.gif

• Like 2

I wasn't sure whether building an Agrios with my 5 yr old son was more for me than him. 

Would it end up like when I used to help my grandad with our cars - "just shine the light over there a bit..."?

So I asked him if he wanted to strip and rebuild a car for one of his friends to use...

IMG_20190806_152457.jpg

IMG_20190806_172527.jpg

Safe to say he really enjoyed it!

We start the rebuild tomorrow. Though as he has invested time and effort into this car I'm thinking he deserves to have it now rather than it be a loaner.

Plus I can add the metal servo mounts, the big shock towers and dampers and decent ESC I have been gathering for him.

If the rebuild goes well, we can build the Agrios - Mummy's Monster Truck - in a couple of weeks. Or there's next summer when he'll be even handier...

• Like 4

So far, I have fitted this old Parma front arm brace to my Hotshot (vintage hopup on a Re-re car, sacrilege!)

Screenshot_20190806-214955_Gallery.thumb.jpg.bdab31b9afdfae408c03c7bcd92832b7.jpg

The only slight issue was that the heads on screw pins for the re-re aren't quite as wide as on the original so they weren't retaining the brace in place, it could just slide back off over the screw heads.

I had some spare WR-02 ones the same length though and they had the wider heads so it was an easy fix.

Screenshot_20190806-215609_Gallery.thumb.jpg.525c88b71c3b9a604e1e3c87f05ea43c.jpg

Then I cut, trimmed, filed and sanded the body shell and....it's still pretty far from perfect but it's a lot better than any of my previous attempts!

It's just drying off from a dish soap wash and then I'm going to start spraying it. I might have a go at smoothing the edges again after it's painted, at least I won't have little bits of peeled off backing film hanging off and making it a pain to work out if I've got a smooth edge.

I should be able to get some pics of it with paint later on. For decals, I'm going to use the re-re main artwork but substitute the sponsors for some real ones from my sticker collection.

• Like 1

Fitted the rally blocks to my MF01x Suzuki.

B7926-D28-E77-A-4-B31-BFC7-A34-ABE31-FBE

521-DE137-490-A-4-E2-D-BD41-E5-C6-A04-DC

Nice and soft, so will need some glueing. Then I get to have a little play tomorrow while confirming the body height. 

Yesterday I found this post about tt02 rally builds: 

nice post there from @mr crispy regarding sanding the nub off the rear lower arms. Decent improvement in ride height means my eldest’s ‘Rally’ Ferrari should handle the garden a little better!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I should be able to get some pics of it with paint later on.

I'm fairly happy with it. I've done worse!

Screenshot_20190807-012954_Gallery.thumb.jpg.67c96141d66dc2e82b60d39f99c823e1.jpgScreenshot_20190807-013017_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3037936941c804c7a7c2b586efdd70a4.jpg

Now to be a good boy and take it back off, leave it to dry properly before I try to combat any rough edges and do the decals!

• Like 5

I painted my crawler body today. Red oxide primer plus good old tamiya metallic blue paint. I intentionally coated it 'badly' (honest!) to give it some rust and grime. I think it's rather effective. 

cE7FUMV.jpg

zlfAozz.jpg

fDlSU6O.jpg

I found that the little plastic box my servo came in fitted a short 2s hardcase lipo really well so with a dash of red paint it became my rather bloated fuel cell :D

i can nearly fit an interior now! 

• Like 8

Got some big boy shoes for the TT02B. I sense a lot of parts finding their mechanical limits in the near future. Worth it tho :lol:
yDC4Wqe.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, J@mes said:

In my experience their stuff comes quicker than the quoted time. Expectation management I suppose.

I hope so as I need it.Just took it out for maiden run with fake chassis rails under the bed and crossmember at the rear and tried to climb the step onto the patio, somthing it acheived with no body, but the extra tail weight caused it to topple and snapped all my hard work in half. Hey ho its a hobby so now all superglued back with brass bearers butted up along side plastic ones. Despite the weight it pulls small wheelies from reverse to forwards, not bad for a silvercan and Nimh. In fact with 4 wheelsteer wouldnt really want it quicker as it would keep falling over!!!