Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been continuing to work on the Hotshot bodywork, I've combined the re-re stickers with aftermarket sponsor logos.

i1qo7IC.jpg

• Like 6

Just Installed the original kyosho option house spa 240 motor I've just restored in my turbo optima! New bearings and machine polished the can it runs super smooth very pleased with it😊

20190804_120412.jpg

i-img590x442-1535640623klzapc1189085.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Started the Dual Hunter rebuild with el kid.

Rear gearbox rebuilt, greased and bushings replaced with bearings. Upper and lower arms and secured with the u-pin. 

It took a while but he assembled the gears and turned every screw so it was worth it. He's still up for doing the second gearbox so that's good.

Having chased 'the thrill of the new' with purchases over the last couple of years, this has been nicely satisfying - and cheap as I have the bearings and some screws in the parts store and the only thing I might need are some less rusty screw pins.

• Like 1

Test drove the MF01X Suzuki in the back garden. Kept locking a rear dog bone and eventually spat one out, so I need to look up what that’s about. Fun otherwise, the shorter wheelbase was quite noticeable. 

Some coats of white on the Audi A2 body, and some window masks in the Silvia. Need to pick a colour for that. Metallic dark blue seems to be box art, but I’m not feeling that right now. 

I'm turning in for the night now. Used the last of my strength stretching 2 of the tyres onto these rims to try out! I quite like them though. I still need to finish a few things but it's coming along nicely. I want to keep the stock tyres as I believe they help to keep it the right way up due to the tendency to slide rather than traction roll.
RC8uy67.jpg

• Like 10

Day three of the Dual Hunter strip and rebuild, we now have the rear end complete and most of the front end done having built the front diff and gearbox this afternoon.

He continues to be keen to work on it. We’ll see if he still wants to when I’m off work again in a couple of weeks :D.

Changed the pinion and spur on my Sakura D4 drift chassis today.  I had it geared for speed, but it would thermal after a minute or two of driving.  Raised the FDR some and took it outside for a quick test drive.  I have it set up with rear gear diff (instead of a spool), a front one-way (instead of a diff), and regular rubber tires (HPI X-Patterns).  The kit springs and dampers are definitely stiff in the rear and soft in the front, and the steering has quite a bit of throw.  As a result this car is kind of fun because it's a blend of drift and grip at the same time.  Watch how it behaves in turns, and bonus points for hitting every cone:

• Like 5

Put the new Daytons on the K100 and took the Alcoas off the K100 and put them on the Grand Hauler.

Now to find time to finish them both...

u4nwohy.jpg

WLssJM0.jpg

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, berman said:

Put the new Daytons on the K100 and took the Alcoas off the K100 and put them on the Grand Hauler.

Now to find time to finish them both...

u4nwohy.jpg

WLssJM0.jpg

Ooooh...

200.gif[/IMG]

• Like 3

Nice @berman B).

I find myself researching more and more on the big rigs even though I have always written them off being in a full size most days.

Even got to the point of doodling today while some ideas were floating around. Old school Peterbilts and Aussie SAR Kenworths have got my attention. I did a 1/24 of an SAR with a raised cab modifying the bonnet years ago, but sadly ended up in bits again when the curtain hooked onto it on windy day sending it to its doom from the first floor window. Thats was my wife story while I was at work anyway <_<.

COBhdjSl.jpg

A bit strapped for it to materialise at the moment, would be great to though :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice @berman B).

I find myself researching more and more on the big rigs even though I have always written them off being in a full size most days.

Even got to the point of doodling today while some ideas were floating around. Old school Peterbilts and Aussie SAR Kenworths have got my attention. I did a 1/24 of an SAR with a raised cab modifying the bonnet years ago, but sadly ended up in bits again when the curtain hooked onto it on windy day sending it to its doom from the first floor window. Thats was my wife story while I was at work anyway <_<.

COBhdjSl.jpg

A bit strapped for it to materialise at the moment, would be great to though :)

Usually it's the 1:1 truck drivers that get into these 1:14 scale trucks first! 😄

That sounded like a nice model. If you can throw together a SAR in 1:24th, you should have no problem modifying one of these.

You could build a version of the first SAR Kenworth, Mic Redferns 1975 W900! 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, berman said:

You could build a version of the first SAR Kenworth, Mic Redferns 1975 W900! 😉

I don't know that one and will look it up ;)

But this one is parked next to our yard, but unfortunately dropped most of its vital fluids on the road just round the corner and has been sitting there for some time. If I ever managed to match those life changing lucky numbers I'd consider making the owner an offer to bring the old girl back to its former glory.

hfsCRT2l.jpg

I spent some time in this one, which adds to the interest of SAR's,

JbTxqK4l.jpg

But a Knight Hauler would be so much easier as it is straight from the box :blink:

• Like 2

Worked on my FGX EVO a little bit more as reported in my build thread.

Also, I have a ton of these Tamiya box wrenches lying around and just for fun I chucked one in a drill and polished it with some Mother's mag and aluminum polish.  It turned out pretty well, I thought.  This was about ten minutes of work.  Gotta take pride in your tools, right?

IMG_4114.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

How was it using Motolow Liquid Chrome?  I've seen it at my LHS but I haven't heard much about it.

Very good to use on trims & badges. It was a bit tricky on the bumpers getting a satisfactory finish mainly because I painted it straight on the raw plastic. It actually covered better on top of Matt Black. I found it easier to control once I’d trimmed a flat edge on one side of the round end tip. 

I’d definitely recommend getting one and having a go. It would be ideal for Scorcher trims 😉

I watched a YouTube clip of some guy emptying some of the paint out of the pen and air brushing it on a robot to great effect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Very good to use on trims & badges. It was a bit tricky on the bumpers getting a satisfactory finish mainly because I painted it straight on the raw plastic. It actually covered better on top of Matt Black. I found it easier to control once I’d trimmed a flat edge on one side of the round end tip. 

I’d definitely recommend getting one and having a go. It would be ideal for Scorcher trims 😉

I watched a YouTube clip of some guy emptying some of the paint out of the pen and air brushing it on a robot to great effect. 

Very good to know, thanks!  There's not many other options for legit looking chrome paint.  I'll have to grab some next time I'm at my LHS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

It actually covered better on top of Matt Black.

Any chrome silver paint, Alclad etc works better with the smoothest possible black background. Hi Gloss is even better than matt. It acts like the back of a mirror

• Like 2

Stripped down the Mad Bull I got for £12.

I originally intended to use parts from it to convert my Fighter RX into a monster buggy but because it was in better shape than I expected, I felt a bit torn about just getting it running as a Mad Bull instead.

I've decided to go with the original plan though, it has a few bits missing (battery retainer, servo mount and motor mount) and the fact that but would cost more than £12 to replace those parts (spread across multiple part trees) really bugs the cheapskate in me!. So I will monsterise my RX and then keep the rest as spares but keep an eye out for the missing bits cheap/used.

• Like 1

got these during the week so busy stripping this lot... the king blackfoot body needs lots of work :unsure:... 

uvAaU3z.jpg

I6L8oCf.jpg

• Like 1

Made a start on my "Mad Bull Fighter" but I'm getting sleepy now so I'm leaving it before I try to solder an ESC to the shock absorber or something.

The tyres and uprights from my cheapy ebay mad bull find were all good though so I've got my £12 worth. Rear wheels have some slight warping but I've run worse, especially on rigs like this! I'm just glad there's no cracks in the tyres and they haven't gone stiff or anything.

JS0v4Ke.jpg

I'll do the servo linkage mod tomorrow probably.

I took my 10yo lunchbox gearbox apart today, it's always been a bit rowdy but thats because I know one of the shafts spun inside the gearbox when I first got it and elongated one of the locating holes for the counter gear. 

Well decided to have a look as I know I have a spare counter gear and brass pinion somewhere.

Well glad I did, time for a new gearbox. Must have hit something with the right rear wheel (at a guess) as the gearbox has a massive crack behind the pivot pin, which has made the gearbox ingest dirt and made the counter and pinion into fang teeth 😄

I will also take the liberty of replacing the pivot slots (I think I have spares) and try and find a pin as that is now heavily tapered on both ends!

NHl7RWO.jpg

3j4AsOY.jpg

W5z6tfT.jpg

4MZ1kCc.jpg

• Like 4