Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Luckily I live in Australia 😁👍🏻

Me too :D

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Me too :D

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Luckily I live in Australia 😁👍🏻

gentlemen, I will PM you B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished my "Super Hopper" which is an ebay Super Hornet chassis fitted with a Grasshopper 2 body. Photo taken after 12:00 am, so I guess that counts as something I've done today! 20190829_001242.thumb.jpg.5947299edfa5e337fbf8b9860f6292e6.jpg

• Like 4

Tea time tuning........

First time for everything, not sure how it will go. Got to be worth ago.........

20190829_190327-3024x2268.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Turbotom said:

Tea time tuning........

First time for everything, not sure how it will go. Got to be worth ago.........

20190829_190327-3024x2268.jpg

whoa. initially i though it was a wheel alignment gadget. this is for weight distribution right?in mountain biking/cycling circles we have a term for this: weight weenies. comical to see its also manifest in rc :lol:

• Haha 1

As the CC-02 is coming, I have treated my CC-01 to a Hot Racing steering upgrade. Just in case the CC-01 disappears and the hop up supply dries up. 

I finally got hold of some 380-540 motor adapters where the motor isn't mounted at an offset for a smaller pinion.

Why? Mostly because I've been having fun with small outrunner motors in a couple of vehicles recently. Mostly for vehicles with heavy trans-axles such as Grasshopper family and CW01 etc where a light motor can reduce the unsprung mass. Some of them perform surprisingly well too considering they are only around the sized of a brushed 380 motor. They can punch well above their weight and have amazing battery life too. Oh, and sometimes they are cheap and I mean really cheap.

There's a couple of lightweight vehicles I want to try them in too, just for something a little different. And I definitely want to put one in my Kyosho Nexxt because the distinctive sound of the outrunner really suits the futuristic looks.

So anyway, for a quick test I just grabbed a DT02 chassis and installed one of these 2700KV motors I paid £2 for from aliexpress:

5MNmZNl.png

I have to say I was pretty amazed at the performance! This is the smallest of my motors but it kicked butt! Considering how tiny it is there was very little cogging, no worse than some of my 540 size brushless motors! And once it got going it pulled like a train! The sound is a bit of a love it or hate it thing but I think they sound great whistling along!

The only possible reservation is it got a little warm but then again, no hotter than a brushed motor in the same vehicle. It didn't help that I only had the 19t pinion on hand and not the 17t. It also doesn't help that the DT02 gearbox is basically a plastic coffin for the motor!

Honestly though, if you could see how ridiculously small this motor is in the flesh, you wouldn't believe the performance. And yet it sips battery power too!

So all in all, arguably a little pointless ( apart from maybe the aforementioned unsprung mass thing) but certainly a bit different and fun. Oh, and cheap fun too!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

gentlemen, I will PM you B)

We're pretty much family here in NZ...if you can ship here then PM me too!

• Haha 1

My son's Blitzer was in rough shape with the front bumper broken off and the typical chassis cracks. I'm trying some free repairs before I throw money at it. Replacement bumper is from a Kyosho Raider. The aluminum piece on the bottom looks like a skid plate but the idea is to spread out the force that is normally concentrated on the corners of the chassis. And the top support struts are made out of left over parts I found under my bathroom sink. I know it's not pretty but I'll be happy if it works!

20190830_054218_resized.thumb.jpg.4ba0410af28908a334dd1befbd44b761.jpg20190830_053926_resized.thumb.jpg.31164669fd2b147057877f786750a13b.jpg

• Like 1

It was about time to change the tires on my runner Top-Force.

8569E2B2-361F-4219-87EA-D099AB9AA954.jpeg

• Like 2

Got a bit bored so I took the 380 motor out of my daughters Kumamon sand rover and put a 540 brushless in.

It was only a 3300kv and only on 2s but with the 19t pinion....let's just say that little bear left imprints of his fingers on the steering wheel :lol:

I think I'll probably swap that back before she drives it again.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

We're pretty much family here in NZ...if you can ship here then PM me too!

Sheesh dude! I want the part too but jeez take it easy! :blink:

:ph34r::lol:

• Haha 1

Took the TT02B out for a spin... was still running by the time the battery hit low voltage which was nice for a change :lol:

• Like 4

Popped into my almost local hobby shop this morning to pick this lovely tamiya white box that I ordered (I could have got it earlier and probably a little cheaper but you got to support your local and this guy is relatively new so I'm trying to get everything I possibly can from him) anything that's tamiya and beetle I got to have and you can't build a black edition of any tamiya without putting the black sport tuned motor in it!. 

20190831_124722.jpg

• Like 8

Went racing. We got lucky with the weather and had a primo day out. Auckland had set a record for most rain ever recorded in August (it might be the most days in a row with rain thinking about it) so we haven't been racing for about 2 months. My new HB D418 is amazing, I won my 3 heats but unfortunately I was in the slower heat so that was only enough for 6th position in the A main. We had 19 4wd stock buggies today so 2 full heats and full A and B finals. Thats good for a 10th day, we get down to E finals in 8th nitro though. Started 6th, got cleaned out a few times in thr first 2 laps, so from the back got back to 6th. Pretty typical final for me!

2wd didn't go so well, I'm really just hanging out for the new HB D219 to fix that problem.

Jamie was stocked as he 'made the A main' in open class. There were only 6 entries.

Nothing broke though, thats a good result

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J@mes said:

Reassembled the body, oh my Clod!!!

48655827156_0e7df9e76d_b.jpg

Is it getting an overhaul?

I wasn't going to start building this until the wife went away on her annual pampering weekend with her friends in 3 weeks time although because it was still sunny and warm I thought I'd spray paint the body so I could leave it to dry in the back garden (I think you definitely get better results when its left to bake naturally outside on a sunny day🤔) I also thought "I'll just put the tyres on the rims" .........7hrs later! So much for keeping it😏

20190831_212015.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Went racing. We got lucky with the weather and had a primo day out. Auckland had set a record for most rain ever recorded in August (it might be the most days in a row with rain thinking about it) so we haven't been racing for about 2 months. My new HB D418 is amazing, I won my 3 heats but unfortunately I was in the slower heat so that was only enough for 6th position in the A main. We had 19 4wd stock buggies today so 2 full heats and full A and B finals. Thats good for a 10th day, we get down to E finals in 8th nitro though. Started 6th, got cleaned out a few times in thr first 2 laps, so from the back got back to 6th. Pretty typical final for me!

2wd didn't go so well, I'm really just hanging out for the new HB D219 to fix that problem.

Jamie was stocked as he 'made the A main' in open class. There were only 6 entries.

Nothing broke though, thats a good result

That’s fantastic progress dude! Winning heats and getting the A Main. Brilliant. 

• Like 1

Submitted my "monster" competition entry on the main site page.  From the entry (here):

"I always found the scariest monsters to be those from the afterlife or other dimensions. Unlike temporal monsters who destroy or are destroyed, interdimensional monsters never seem to die and they invent the most heinous ways to prolong a person's suffering. Cold, rational, and absolute, from my childhood the monsters who scared and fascinated me the most included Ghost Rider and Pinhead, leader of the Cenobites, from the Hellraiser movie series. The extremes of good vs. evil, pain vs. pleasure, existence vs. extinction, choice and consequence were perhaps easier to grasp in my head and therefore scarier than random gore and slashing."

"In the RC industry Tamiya is one of the few brands eternal. With every opened kit box, the extremes of pain and pleasure can be experienced. Screwhead, prodigy of the Cenobites, taunts with a fundamental build vs. drive question each one of us must answer. The fishhooks, chains, dismemberment, and red damper oil are merely physical representations of the scarier intellectual, emotional, and skills torment each one us must face."

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Adjusted the steering on my WW2 and found a home for the small amount of spares I have left over from the SWB WW restoration. 

I’m going to try and not get too distracted by other Tamiya and finish the WW2 😊

• Like 1