Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

I'm not going to mess with black interior anymore. 

Apparently there were areas where 2 layers of orange and 1 layer of white had missed.   

I might use a black marker to draw some trim to cover it up.  

I painted bottom skirts black, and that turned out okay too (though I haven't seen it done in 1:1). 

Instead of white have you tried using bright silver?  Someone, I forget who, told me about using it and it separates the base coat from the black much better than white.

The body has come out looking great.  I was going to paint the gap around the boot black but I think now I'll leave it clear too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

I'm not going to mess with black interior anymore. 

Apparently there were areas where 2 layers of orange and 1 layer of white had missed.   

I might use a black marker to draw some trim to cover it up.  

I painted bottom skirts black, and that turned out okay too (though I haven't seen it done in 1:1).   

Flat black over the wheel arches? I think this looks really smart

vintage-race-touring-car-nsu-1200-24686381.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This much took hours... didn't it?  It sure felt like it.  

What kind of a deviant calls this a "hobby?" (me!?)   

This feels like a clever torture device.  

VSkQVQv.jpg

I understand why you tore out your hair, bro...

Fnr20MW.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I finally got to run my nitro buggy today, the first time in about 6 months. An open practice day was organised and about 12 of us turned up. These days are always good, they are really relaxed and you get as much track time as you want. Jamie  came with me and ran about 5 packs as well - with EPA at 50% and 5000mah packs, thats about an hour and a half runtime. I ran about 10 tanks through mine which is about 80mins, so all up we were there about 3 1/2 hours. The first couple of tanks were pretty slow, I'm pretty sure my 10th scale 17.5T blinky would have been doing faster and more consistent laps if I had run that instead.

To top it all off my local supermarket is going to stop stocking one of my favourite craft brewery's (Liberty for those kiwis on here) and so they are half price, great result.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Got to test my weatherproof car after some heavy rain, and it worked spectacularly! Most of the chaos was contained at the ends of the car instead of being flung into the tub. 
wk0nA9H.jpgcTtw5nO.jpg

cX9pKEW.jpgCygq0mZ.jpg

Here's a second run, after the ground had dried up a fair bit

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Got another sweet collection of vintage items, and a few re re kits.

All of the re re kits are mint and unbuilt, the Ferrari 312 is still shrink wraped.

The two vintage body kits are minty, although the Ferrari box has faded quite badly.

The F103 chassis is the one at the end with the Ligier honda body.

Of the vintage F1 cars, only the Lotus has been run, the others are minty underneath, and that is an unused F2 chassis on top of the McLaren box

DSC_5410.JPG

DSC_5412.JPG

DSC_5407.JPG

DSC_5411.JPG

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

To top it all off my local supermarket is going to stop stocking one of my favourite craft brewery's (Liberty for those kiwis on here) and so they are half price, great result.

Ahh, so bittersweet!

• Like 1

Had an excellent time today with the Tamiya Junkies at Robin Hood Raceway, giving my newly restomodded Rookie Rabbit and Thundershot their first proper track outings, as well as allowing my Manta Ray an opportunity to stretch its legs on astro rather than the usual grass.

Thanks to all who made the meet what it was!

• Like 3

Spent the afternoon bashing cars with my boys. The cars they picked to run (Hot Shot and Dump Truck) ran flawlessly, the shot even picking up and admirer in some how recognised it from his childhood “they still make those?!”. The two cars I took tried, but the rough gravel/sandy surface took its toll. The Super Astute decided to have an esc issue, so would refuse to power the motor. The XV-01T took a pounding. Every few minutes I seemed to be retrieving a front dog bone or reattaching a damper. I’m not sure if the forces, but it was enough to start stripping the threads of the ball connector. And that was before we proved twice that in a head on collision, the hot shot always wins! :D:wacko: so my xv01t is a little poorly tonight. 

Some wrenching this evening, reassembling my Optima. The intention was to strip it down to put the belt drive in, but I couldn’t deny the novelty and left the chain drive intact. However, it got the start of a new look. Still waiting on a few bits to complete it

3DF7CB9D-8A4F-4AC1-8DF5-D8B40B02E986.jpg

• Like 7

Took my turbo optima for its maiden voyage in the back garden I've had it built for a month or so but just finished rebuilding the vintage kyosho spa 240ws motor and it absolutely runs like a dream!👍 super smooth 

20190713_203715.jpg

• Like 14

Took the Lunch Box out for a spin today on a whim. Its the first Tamiya I've driven in over a month's worth of weekends that has hasn't broke and let me down. You know, I had fun with it. Simple joys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Found a little time this morning to clean up FAV 1 and do the little jobs on it.

Simple pleasures, very therapeutic and nice to be tinkering. 

• Like 2

Nice day today, got the FAV cleaned up and on the Bay with some nice photos.

Shame to sell it, but pointless me keeping so on it way it will go. 

My 12 year old daughter rescued a broken Sand Scorcher shell, she sanded it, shaved the rear wings, cleaned it up and then sprayed a primer coat on with some help and guidance from me. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, moffman said:

Took my turbo optima for its maiden voyage in the back garden I've had it built for a month or so but just finished rebuilding the vintage kyosho spa 240ws motor and it absolutely runs like a dream!👍 super smooth 

20190713_203715.jpg

That looks like one of those builds you buy to run, then make such an awesome job of you daren’t get it dirty :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spent a couple of hours converting everything to XT60 plugs and some banana plugs. Having bought a new 60W iron and a plug soldering gig it actually was a pleasure. I must be moving over to the Dark side as soldering was always a mystery to me. Might even be brave enough to solder up the powertrain of my 6 inch long Fairy Huntsman cabin cruiser. Wires are about as thick as hairs!!!!

IMG_1479.JPG.958bc7afd8c3179f6a76a3da1581fe1e.JPGIMG_1480.JPG.ddf275896597f7cb94e99ed07bfc139e.JPG

Used up lots of different coloured bits of shrink tubing. No real colour co ordination!!!

• Like 1

Decided to have bit of a tinker with some photocopied leonis decals on my uncut DF03 shell.

20190922_132033

• Like 2

18 hours ago, moffman said:

👍

20190713_203715.jpg

That thing is beautyfull!! Excellent work, almost a shame to run... But in the end, that is what its made for.

I myself put in a low bid on a HSP buggy, and won It. So a cheap no-problem lazy runner is coming my way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

That looks like one of those builds you buy to run, then make such an awesome job of you daren’t get it dirty :D

Have no fear it's not going to be run like I've stolen it! Just happily around my back garden it's just to darn (as they say in the usa) good 

10 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

That thing is beautyfull!! Excellent work, almost a shame to run... But in the end, that is what its made for.

I myself put in a low bid on a HSP buggy, and won It. So a cheap no-problem lazy runner is coming my way.

I accidentally mixed that colour when a sprayed my hotshot (I was after a completely different shade of red) but that appeared.......much better than the colour I had in my head! When your buggy arrives we need a picture of it!

20180512_172159.jpg

• Like 1

Finally bit the bullet and ordered an Audi Quattro TT-02 today. Big thing for me as I don't have much money for this hobby. Looking forward to really spending some time over the build instead of rushing in a hurry to get it driving as I did with my DT03!

• Like 4

Not Tamiya I know, but I ordered a Top Cat re-release with transmission and steering upgrade, can't wait to try it on our garden racetrack! 

On the Tamiya front, rebuilt Egress and Topforce diffs today, what do I need to buy to convert the Egress to a gear diff?? 

Had the M08 and Dancing Rider out with the boys today. Dancing Rider was a hit, until the gearbox started slipping something chronic. I’ve had it apart and I can’t spot anything amiss. I was suspicious of the pinion, but I was able to stop the motor by holding it, so I don’t think it’s that. Something crash related, as it took a 4 year old brain a little while to understand the steering being so much slower at speed. 

This evening was XV01T repair time; sourcing some of the plastic rod ends to go in the suspension mounts, along with pricing up the mounts themselves to try to reduce the suspension popping incidents. I’m sure smaller wheels and better driving would help too, but those are harder to source :P

9287C6E1-C5DD-43D0-8823-1E5116322CA1.jpg

I thought I could have a family reunion. XV01T, XV01LD and XV01TC-Pro. I bought the TC years back when the XV01Pro had just gone eol, and converted it to mostly rally spec. Never been run because it looks too pretty, so I’m contemplating converting it back to TC spec and picking a suitable shelf queen body.

• Like 4