Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fitted turnbuckle tierods to my M-03:

2019-09-28_11-15-28

This frees up the stock tierods for use on my wife's 4WS racing teapot. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Fitted turnbuckle tierods to my M-03:

2019-09-28_11-15-28

This frees up the stock tierods for use on my wife's 4WS racing teapot. 

I have a done a lot of work.on my M chassis and also F103LM since I have been last active on the forums.

Cant wait to get back home from work to share a few pictures.

My M03RA has now a Carson dragster 10T sensorless system, and my M05ver2 has been almost rtr with a 120A esc and 10,5T sensored brushless system with a tick longer gear transition then the M03. And I bought a M02 for my Fiat Abarth 1000TCR. 

My F103LM has now a 4.5T sensored brushless system, also alot of bling on it... speed run missle. :)

yall see. :)

On 9/26/2019 at 7:35 PM, Rb4276 said:

Nice i have 2 1210 m5g and 2 mk2 1200s. The mk2 are still mint when i got the  pair in 1992

E40474F3-A84A-4BCC-924B-A8E67AE6AA0B.jpeg

The M5G is a brilliant tool. Did some hours of djing last weekend and they are so presice. +/-16% is also important for some crossover mixing.

BUT,.... please keep your kids out of the internet! I cant stand it. :unsure:

47 minutes ago, Collin said:

The M5G is a brilliant tool. Did some hours of djing last weekend and they are so presice. +/-16% is also important for some crossover mixing.

BUT,.... please keep your kids out of the internet! I cant stand it. :unsure:

Oddest comment ever, it was the only pic i had to show 2 of my 1200s

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Painted my first RC body last night. Pretty happy with the way it came out, although I realize now it would have been better to cut the body out before I started painting, rather than afterwards. Thought the edge bits would have been handy to hold the body during the painting, which they were, but cutting them out later isn’t the best for the paint....

Two layers of translucent red, followed by a layer of gunmetal gray. 

8273DAA8-2F91-4C81-B6E4-C77759844EFE.jpeg

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

i think what he prob means is you allow your kids to touch your hi-fi stuff and normally when that happens speaker cones get pushed in and settings gets messed with.

for me that is one of my pet hates speaker cones pushed in i remember my daughter did this very thing when she was around 2 i tryed a couple of methods to get the cone out but no luck so i ened up replaceing it and since then i have not allowed my kids to touch my hi-fi stuff.

i used to run sl1200's back in the early 90's when i was a dj and i regret getting rid of them i think i do have a pic somewhere but i will be a photo 

8 hours ago, SimonL said:

Painted my first RC body last night. Pretty happy with the way it came out, although I realize now it would have been better to cut the body out before I started painting, rather than afterwards. Thought the edge bits would have been handy to hold the body during the painting, which they were, but cutting them out later isn’t the best for the paint....

Two layers of translucent red, followed by a layer of gunmetal gray. 

Today the stickers. I know I haven’t put them all on, but I’m in two minds whether to leave it as is, or also add the race numbers and VW logos on (they seem to be a little bit too conspicuous for my taste :))

325D67E7-1FD0-49DF-8C72-235D2157AE4E.jpeg

895D7A66-A132-4F34-87F3-B974A5A72203.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

Today the stickers. I know I haven’t put them all on, but I’m in two minds whether to leave it as is, or also add the race numbers and VW logos on (they seem to be a little bit too conspicuous for my taste :))

325D67E7-1FD0-49DF-8C72-235D2157AE4E.jpeg

895D7A66-A132-4F34-87F3-B974A5A72203.jpeg

Not a fan of too many liveries or stickers too. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Think about it, if you dont get it, I will explain you. ;)

And it looks like two others didn't get it though...

• Haha 1

Almost done with this Team C Toyota Yaris WRC body fro my FF-03RR. Just the light buckets in front and it's done. 

YlC1hiYh.jpg

xLcz7Uwh.jpg

3fMcC34h.jpg

I like the thickness of this Team C body but the wing was a puzzle to install especially the upper parts. I searched for pictures but all showed were bodies from Tamiya which had a different wing configuration. It didn't have an instruction or manual with regards to the wing and finding its place in fit was impossible. So I just installed it the way I could.

• Like 5

On 9/29/2019 at 9:42 AM, topforcein said:

i think what he prob means is you allow your kids to touch your hi-fi stuff and normally when that happens speaker cones get pushed in and settings gets messed with.

for me that is one of my pet hates speaker cones pushed in i remember my daughter did this very thing when she was around 2 i tryed a couple of methods to get the cone out but no luck so i ened up replaceing it and since then i have not allowed my kids to touch my hi-fi stuff.

i used to run sl1200's back in the early 90's when i was a dj and i regret getting rid of them i think i do have a pic somewhere but i will be a photo 

She was touching an old denon cd recorder from 2001, that is never used anymore. I get it but i was 2 ft away when this photo was taken almost 2 yrs ago. Luckily for me she never touches my stuff, we instilled that since she was young. I have heard horror storiess with cones and even had a friend had a tone arm practically ripped off. 

If she ever wants to learn how to spin it will not be on any of my 1200s or my allen & heath  or rane mixers i own it will be a crappy controller until she is old enough

• Like 1

Fitted my Stadium thunder with my 1st brushless motor combo.

Bought it on a whim, it was cheap, £26.

I'm unsure how it will perform, it certainly balloons the tyres on 3s that's for sure. It's a Goolrc 9t 4370kv 4 pole 12 slot. Not entirely sure what that all means...🙄

I'm using a standard 13 tooth pinion gear. If the motor stays reasonably cool would it be worth fitting a 15 tooth pinion?

I also had to make up some extension cables as the stock leads are very short.

20190930_194709.jpg

• Like 2

be interested to hear how it goes. Still using  old style Nimh batteries and brushed motors. Will have to take the plunge soon:unsure:

I spent yesterday morning and this evening packaging up my paperwork for the accountant to get stuck into. 

Pleased my part is done, I can get on with the studying I need to do next ☹️.

Thinking about keeping the Blitzer Beetle as an all round runner, tarmac, grass, beach etc. I’m not sure what else you really need apart from a bit more ground clearance and maybe 4WD. 

Kids bashed a Tt02b and a Hot Shot round the in laws garden on Sunday afternoon. Lots of laughs from them, Hot Shot was the most popular. Seems though it was all too much for the Tt02b though. 17t pinion on a torque tuned, everything else stock. However the motor got far too hot, so much so that I think it’s toasted. Spins freely enough, but the esc wants nothing to do with it. Dropped a silver can in to replace it, while I look to source a 16t pinion. Hopefully that’ll help with the temps. 

Got back to my rc models after 5 weeks away. Even though I was on vacation, I missed them!

I replaced the good old Le Mans 05 Stock motor of my Big Boss with an hpi Firebolt 15 T that I had sitting around for a while.

20190930_144321-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.9d3f78f98af0a36dfc63d03183043689.jpg

It turned out to be pretty fast, considering also that the old NiMh wasn't even fully charged!

547359014_Screenshot_20190930-154225_VideoPlayer-540x960.thumb.jpg.fed28de85214e8ed9264eb511d4365b7.jpg591093078_Screenshot_20190930-154445_VideoPlayer-960x540.jpg.fe4572875630efa583ec5e67e15d6cb2.jpg1739296859_Screenshot_20190930-145743_VideoPlayer-960x540.jpg.66d05f0a90b0fd3f7aab3a41d4d69730.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

be interested to hear how it goes. Still using  old style Nimh batteries and brushed motors. Will have to take the plunge soon:unsure:

I made the change to lipo just after getting back into the hobby 2 years ago. Hardly ever use my nimh packs now. They only see use in my cc01. The nimhs coupled with a TBLE-02 and a 55t turn motor make for lovely smooth progress.

As for the brushless motor this is the 1st one I've personally bought. I have fitted others in the past for friends. 

CC0E631F-D748-4F32-8FAB-1880788A2732.thumb.jpeg.76a2ec528f3fa22fae73839ed60fe66c.jpegMy name is Damian I’m 35yo  for a living I am a lorry driver and today I decide to join Tamiyaclub.com  just because I am a happy owner of Tamiya TNX 5.2r.  I bought it from eBay completely destroyed and I  rebuild it so now I can show you my pride and joy.  More parts are still coming for upgrades so I will keep you updated .

• Like 12

I have driven an RC car for the first time in about 25 years. And my 3yo daughter drove one for the first time ever.

I went through a period of trying to fix up several cars late last year and earlier this year, starting with a drunk ebayed Marui Hunter I'd forgotten I had, then a Kyosho Raider I bought but couldn't make work and finally a Grasshopper II which had been sitting around unused as a bare chassis for nearly three decades, as the steering set-up was inexplicably impossible to make work.

After some online research on the GH2 (some of it here), I found out what was wrong with it a while back: the previous owner had mounted the servo incorrectly and put the servo saver on backwards. With this fixed, I should have been able to fix it up easily as the car had barely been used and the gearbox and chassis were perfect. I bought new motor, wheels, tyres and modern electronics and fitted them all in and... nothing. I charged up the battery, fitted it and I could not get the thing to work. At all. It just wouldn't go. I could not understand it, put the car away and got distracted by other things for several months.

Then this week I was looking for something to do and came back to the Grasshopper. It has brand new components, fresh out of the box. So why doesn't it work? I thought it must have been the radio gear, as the digital set was the only bit I didn't already understand from my racing experiences two and a half decades ago. Maybe the receiver need some pairing process I didn't know about, or there was a switch I hadn't found. I found a tutorial video on YouTube and watched, pausing it to mirror the set-up instructions as I went. I had it all set up perfectly according to the video and was wondering if I just had a duff receiver, when the answer came up in an almost joking aside: "Make sure you have the plugs the right way round in the receiver, as unlike the old-style Futaba plugs they don't have lugs on them anymore. The exposed pins have to be facing the light on the receiver." Never thought of that, as, well, Futaba plugs used to have lugs in to make sure you installed them the right way round. Weird that I had both plugs in backwards, but then why wouldn't I?

So once it was working (because now it did) I showed it to my daughter (who thought it was amazing) and we charged up the battery and took it out.

How was it? Terrible. We were driving on wet pavement in the local park and the Grasshopper II – wearing 2.2" Proline Road Hawgs on the rear on Super Astute wheels – handled like a ball bearing on an ice rink. Plus the Prolines kept rolling off the rims, so I had to hurriedly swap them for a set of 2" blue-compound Schumacher on-road treaded tyres I had sitting around. These were even worse, and had so little grip they made the car more or less undriveable. My daughter didn't care and shrieked with delight at doing endless donuts on the path and the grass, and driving it through little puddles while holding the pistol-grip Flysky TX one-handed. She doesn't know or care if it handles well. She is still amazed that it moves without her touching it.

I have a lot I want to do with it now. It needs better shocks (it is still wearing the standard, awful Tamiya friction dampers), I want to paint up and fit a Lexan Beetle shell I've had sitting next to the GH2 chassis for almost as long as I have had the chassis, I need to glue the Prolines to the rims and the steering still needs a bit of finessing, as the 2.2" fronts change the geometry a bit. I might try and get a new twin-stick TX, too, as that was what I used to use and the pistol grip feels weird.

I have also forgotten how to drive, which is saddening as I used to be really good at that. I can't even do the thing of reversing the steering when the car is coming towards you anymore. That is clearly a learned skill and, unlike riding a bike, one which you can obviously forget.

But I am driving again. And so is my daughter. And that makes me very happy.

• Like 3

1570335507_GH2FirstRun600p.jpg.55ca2652557b54262304aed94bec4d2e.jpg

The Grasshopper 2, with its emergency replacement boots. We took it back out after we'd swapped the rears over and when it returned to the house it had one fewer bars holding up the roof, as my daughter drove it at speed into a gap under a solid metal barrier which was slightly smaller than the height of the car. But then, that's why we are using a thirty-year-old Grasshopper II and not one of my Mids.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Yalson said:

...but I am driving again. And so is my daughter. And that makes me very happy.

That's awesome. Welcome back.

Pre-ordered a new shell

2019-10-03_11-53-44

I am very excited. Absolutely love these. LandL models have got this repro done by control freax.

They have just changed the Iconic class rules at my club to be Tamiya class; any non-TRF chassis so long as you run iconic spec brushed motor. I think this is heading for my TA06 for a spot of racing!