Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgraded to aluminium steering arms and adjustable turnbuckles on the TT01E. They’re pretty stiff though, so I’m not sure exactly how ‘adjustable’ they are going to be - turning the adjustable nut seems to just unclip the arms, rather than make any adjustment...

17 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Upgraded to aluminium steering arms and adjustable turnbuckles on the TT01E. They’re pretty stiff though, so I’m not sure exactly how ‘adjustable’ they are going to be - turning the adjustable nut seems to just unclip the arms, rather than make any adjustment...

This is exactly my experience of them - I cant stand them, if they are not popping off then the spanner rounds off.

There was a thread on this a couple of months ago. It seems the trick is to apply a coating of the grease onto each of the threads before screwing them into the ends.

• Thanks 1

Put some shocks from my TT02B into my trusty Aldi ultrasonic bath, I'm impressed!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Getting excited over this new project. Gotta find me some caustic soda to do a couple of small fixes and then let the magic begin :D

Thank you @beefmuffin I hope you'll enjoy the building/resto process. I do have a couple more ongoing resto builds (SuperChamp & Big Bear) but step by step Imma get them all done.

spacer.pngo0BCuVw.jpg

You all have a good Monday! :)

• Like 8

When a model gets completed or sold on I am selling  off the surplus spares little by little, it’s surprising how much you amass, but anyhow it’s all good.

Sold some SRB parts yesterday and packed them ready to post out today. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

When a model gets completed or sold on I am selling  off the surplus spares little by little, it’s surprising how much you amass, but anyhow it’s all good.

Sold some SRB parts yesterday and packed them ready to post out today. 

I am feelin ya there, Si. I just had a look through a box of some vintage NIP spares for something for Beefmuffin and realised a lot of the parts in the box I no longer have the cars for. So might have a clear out in the for sale section soon.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, topforcein said:

iv'e just had a idea that might work on your scale idea.

you could use them white thingies that are used for when you have a bath what you would use instead of a sponge.

take it apart and use as a template

On 10/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, CoolHands said:

Screwed up what in my mind was a good idea (I wanted scales like a dragon) but looked rubbish. Tonight I managed to clean one side off using Revell paint remover and lots of effort. Will do the other side tomorrow

bodge up:

8043A37A-BB24-4787-8B55-3BEA4DEF326A.thumb.jpeg.3967720bc5b015528b3e3a41da7d8dcf.jpeg

Cleaned off

16A8037E-F0AA-4D22-B58F-F5CD42FD467C.thumb.jpeg.4b7a4e1838e74bfbab609d4c941db4cf.jpeg

Well I just tried to blend the colours I have to get rid of the mistake. I would like to try scales idea in the future on a new shell. Painted it sat morning and had my first race meeting in 10 years on sat afternoon!

4F2817FD-07B9-48C0-89B1-BC21FEA92BF0.thumb.jpeg.ea419aa3cef39aed12f90f26d11917f4.jpeg

• Like 4

On 10/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, CoolHands said:

Well I just tried to blend the colours I have to get rid of the mistake. I would like to try scales idea in the future on a new shell. Painted it sat morning and had my first race meeting in 10 years on sat afternoon!

4F2817FD-07B9-48C0-89B1-BC21FEA92BF0.thumb.jpeg.ea419aa3cef39aed12f90f26d11917f4.jpeg

I don't remember if it was this forum or another, but a couple of years ago I saw a guy use womens fishnet stockings as a mask to make "scales" on his car. It worked pretty well.

• Like 1

I was looking for a way I might display the bonnet when it was removed from Hopper's HiLux (to reveal the detailed engine bay), and I found it... eating Eggos in a diner (with a pair of magnets):

i-4f9FQH4-XL.jpg

Jx

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, jonboy1 said:

I'd hit a progress barrier with the Astute as I'm waiting for a couple of bits to wend their way here. @Peter_B reminded me I had a FAV (you know you have too many projects when someone reminds you what you have completely forgotten you had) so I got it out of its box and got assembling. 

This is only a dry run as there's still a fair few bits to get and paint and there are several bits I need to touch up, but as this was bought as a box of bits this is the first time I've actually had it mostly together. It's also the first time I've had my front arms and shock mounts together with the shocks. I think the shock mount could do with being a little shorter but overall I think it looks ok. I'll try and not let it take another reminder from someone to get this finished!

Anyway, pics:

IMG_0703IMG_0704IMG_0705IMG_0706IMG_0707

So...... a whole year later I found myself with a spare afternoon waiting for parts to arrive for other projects so I looked around my garage and picked a box and this one popped out.

I'd got a few more bits for it in the meantime, so I had a rummage through my spares box and found a servo, receiver and a motor and got cracking on it...

the nett result was:

IMG_1139 IMG_1138 IMG_1142 IMG_1140

Need a few more bits to finish it off and the paint needs tidying here and there, so Nov 2020 and it should be ready to run! ;)

• Like 9

......In other news I've been working thinking about a project a friend asked me to do for him. He bought the red box art Brat about a year ago and is gradually building up a collection of the cars he drooled over as a kid. First was the Brat, next was a Sand Rover. Between us we were looking for a vintage one but he wasn't very keen on the suspension on the original and hated the re-re, so after a bit of discussion we decided a SRB/Sand Rover hybrid would be the way to go. So he bought me a very rough SRB semi-rolling chassis and new Sand Rover body set and told me to do my thing.

After not doing anything for a few weeks he asked me to do something other than my thing and look at his Sand Rover. So I stripped the chassis parts, gave them all a very good clean (for they really were disgustingly grubby) and set about polishing the suspension arms. Assembled a "lite" chassis to give me where the wheels would be so I could work out how the body would sit and did some more thinking....

The more I looked at 1:1 scale buggies and compared them to the Sand Rover body the more I disliked it, so I went back to my mate and asked him to let me chop up his brand new body. Thankfully he agreed, so with a Sand Rover in one hand and a saw in the other I went to work.....:ph34r:

My big issue (I have many in fact, but I'm seeing a psychologist about the non Tamiya ones) was the front wings. They are far too high (higher than the backs) and they are angled up, which is all wrong wrong wrong. Here's a side view:

IMG_1144

It makes me sad just looking at it. See? The bottom of the front arch is a good 10mm/0.5" higher than the rear. The top surface of the rear arch is pretty much horizontal, whereas you can see the inner of the front where it angles up (you'll see this more evidently in a moment)

So with my trusty saw in hand I cut the front section of the wing off (carefully leaving the headlight mount attached to the body) and set about working where to cut/bend/reposition it so it looked better. Some time later I ended up here:

IMG_1145

So from the side you can now see the top surface of the wing is pretty much horizontal and is just lower than the rear (and it tapers down to the front nicely too)

(the little marks are to set where the centre of the wheels are - I've shortened the chassis by 15mm to bring the front wheel under the high point of the arch)

You really see the difference from the front:

IMG_1146

So now I've got one side done I just need to try and match the other....:wacko: Once that is done I can fill in the various holes and set about the other changes I want to make.

(the marks on the front are to guide where I want to cut/bend the nose so it tucks under more)

One step done, only another hundred or so to go!

I'm pleased to say there is no glue and only a tiny skim of filler just to cover a couple of marks, so this is all as strong as original. B)

• Like 6

On 10/21/2019 at 10:44 PM, CoolHands said:

had my first race meeting in 10 years on sat afternoon!

Was that at DMS near Watford?

finished the konghead body and changed the motor for the new crawler one, the only thing that I need for it is an esc.

IMG_7305.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Butler said:

Was that at DMS near Watford?

Hi, yes it was - sorry if I crashed into you if you were there! I crashed rather a lot. I also went this wed evening, and did a bit better (less crashing). Its great fun I love it. So difficult thought as it’s years since I’ve done any RC driving. 

16 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

So...... a whole year later I found myself with a spare afternoon waiting for parts to arrive for other projects so I looked around my garage and picked a box and this one popped out.

I'd got a few more bits for it in the meantime, so I had a rummage through my spares box and found a servo, receiver and a motor and got cracking on it...

the nett result was:

IMG_1139   

Need a few more bits to finish it off and the paint needs tidying here and there, so Nov 2020 and it should be ready to run! ;)

I very rarely like custom FAVs, but yours looks absolutely brilliant. You did a great job with it. Will you tell us more about the front arms? Did you copy the stance of the re-re or the original (narrow)? Again, great looking FAV!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I very rarely like custom FAVs, but yours looks absolutely brilliant. You did a great job with it. Will you tell us more about the front arms? Did you copy the stance of the re-re or the original (narrow)? Again, great looking FAV!

Thank you very much - I really appreciate that you like it :) To be honest, I'm much the same in not being a huge fan of FAVs - which is part of the reason why it's taken so long for me to do this. I held off putting the decals on for ages because I wasn't sure it was the right way to go, but I think it looks better with them.

Part of what really bothered me with them was the front arms and uprights - far too blocky and ugly, so I modelled up these replacements:

image.png.98d8236635ae4fa1afe8d9cdf20a8c1e.png

image.png.7788a9a13150319a5fad46d03ce0cff9.png

They're direct replacements for the standard parts - the uprights use the headlight mounts, so you need a little spacer to lift the headlight up a bit ( the A2 parts on the FAV parts tree are perfect) but the arms mount exactly the same. I lowered the bottom suspension mount so it accepts 72-75mm long shocks, so they are more like Wild Ones in geometry. They're based on the re-re arms, but I could easily modify them to make a narrow version if wanted :) 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Hi, yes it was - sorry if I crashed into you if you were there! I crashed rather a lot. I also went this wed evening, and did a bit better (less crashing). Its great fun I love it. So difficult thought as it’s years since I’ve done any RC driving. 

I wasn't there, but done a couple of Wednesdays and will be there for the next Saturday meeting. I am very new to racing. I bought a B6 of when of the kids there.

Got the very last pieces for my project build!!! Yay! Well, sans the motor, but I already have another motor I'm putting into it. Only took me a little more than 1.5 years to collect all the parts. I'll start the build next week :)

Hint: It's blue and its body is already done in box art. 

Dusted off the FF03 chassis to replace the kit pinion.  Took everything apart and checked it since it was the first car I built a few years back, but nothing was out of order.  I just need to get a new receiver for it (after stealing it for another car) and it should be good to go again.  Definitely needs a few upgrades but I'll hold off from diving into that rabbit hole for now.

89A0S9R.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blista said:

Dusted off the FF03 chassis to replace the kit pinion.  Took everything apart and checked it since it was the first car I built a few years back, but nothing was out of order.  I just need to get a new receiver for it (after stealing it for another car) and it should be good to go again.  Definitely needs a few upgrades but I'll hold off from diving into that rabbit hole for now.

89A0S9R.jpg

Important upgrades to mention are:

Aluminum suspension blocks, rear chassis stiffener, aluminum spur gear adaptor,  gear diff or if retaining the ball diff, apply AWG to stiffen the diff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Important upgrades to mention are:

Aluminum suspension blocks, rear chassis stiffener, aluminum spur gear adaptor,  gear diff or if retaining the ball diff, apply AWG to stiffen the diff.

I was going to add sway bars and the gear diff to start with.  Finding bits like the spur gear mount is getting harder so I'm debating how much to do with the chassis.