Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

Because of the frequent rain, it took 3-4 weeks to paint 2 body shells. 

Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint, and Citroen 2CV Rally.  

Once again, window trims were drawn with a silver Molotow pen from inside.  

ob6GHef.jpg

3 layers of red.  

qKQJfdN.jpg

I didn't want deep red.  I wanted it brilliant Italian red. So I sprayed camel yellow a couple times under red. 

(That was the only yellow I had. Besides, regular yellow was more expensive--I'm cheap.)

FOaPXau.jpg

Backed with white twice.  That's enough for Giulia Sprint. No black this time.  (In hind thought, it was opaque enough after yellow. It didn't need white)  

2CV only has brilliant orange and white.  It still needs more paint.  

q1kgvMT.jpg

How do the Molotow pens work from the inside, i.e. Does it come out as chrome or just bright silver? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

How do the Molotow pens work from the inside, i.e. Does it come out as chrome or just bright silver? 

Just bright silver.  

It looks chrome from inside. But of course inside doesn't matter. 

mTpyB9g.jpg

On the outside, it looks silver.  I wish it looked chrome.  Close up, Molotow looks more silver than PS-41 Bright Silver.  From afar, they look similar, maybe Molotow is slightly shinier.  

These trim details are often grooved, making it easy for 2mm Molotow pens to glide in.  It just takes 2 minutes to do it.  Quick to dry, very quick to erase with rubbing alcohol.  Even if NSU Prinz rolls and trim stickers fall off, the silver is still there. (I'm using it as a back-up) 

z3IcqGG.jpg

• Like 6

I like it, it's a good look. The last time I did window trims it was on my Excalibur shell for SMT. The Snoop nose Silverado from Jconcepts has tiny side windows so a little more detail here was just to gain back some light against the all black body.  I used tape to create another border around the window masks and sprayed anodized aluminum followed by more ps-5 to back it. Came out a not shiny but not full silver either. I think I have a pic somewhere.

• Like 1

A lot of mucking about with servos today.  All of it ended in failure, which is an accomplishment itself, but time you spend twirling screwdrivers is enjoyable regardless of the outcome.

I fitted the new Savox 0254MG to the XV01 but it is slightly too tall to fit the compartment.  I used spacers but then the servo saver doesn't have enough space up top.  I bought the aluminium servo horn and high torque saver kit for the XV01, so that's doubly annoying.

lpf51L4.jpg

I'll just have to buy a low profile 1251MG in a couple of weeks.

My MF01X is in bits due to broken chassis parts, so I put the 0251MG tall servo from it in my CR01.  To space it forward enough I'll need to swap out the 3x12mm screws for 3x15mm I guesstimate, but when spacing it forward the servo saver is also too tall and hits the front bumper.  There's only a millimeter or two clearance even with the standard size servo.

pPJJQ7u.jpg

Y14BMly.jpg

I've got a servo horn I could use instead but it is too long and fouls the steering rod below it.  Trimming or removing the top half of the CR01 bumper might be the easy solution.  I'll never fully understand Tamiya logic.  They put a lot of effort into making cantilever suspension but then have needlessly cramped servo mounting.

So I'm back to where I started with the original servo back in the CR01 and the XV01 and MF01X are still motionless.  I'll try the TT02R this weekend and see if I have better luck.

• Like 3

I finally succumbed and ordered Tamiya JIS screwdrivers and got to use them today. I had high expectations, expecting fireworks like when Harry found his wand, or something. They....work....fine...what am I missing? I wonder if my stanley set happen to be JIS or something? They stayed in the screw nicely but they are strongly magnetised so not sure how much impact that had?

Maybe I'll notice when i build a kit, only 6 weeks to wait now...

Anyway, the GPM servo horn is now on the Monster Beetle which has broken 2 plastic horns in 2 runs, hopefully this one is strong enough to survive a 6yo

Also, just watched England put on 241 in 20 overs. Not a great way to spend a Friday evening, unless we chase it down, then it will be one of the best games ever

• Like 3

On 10/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, a.w.k. said:

started putting together my next restoration object...............

sup1.thumb.jpg.61f5f3ff5b94adbb559a2796eaa1bec2.jpg

slooooooooooowly getting there, had a little spare time today

sup2.thumb.jpg.b3ae9f38374b1bc47e7d0a0b67753b0e.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I wonder if my stanley set happen to be JIS or something?

I noticed that some newer bits work fine with JIS screws.  Also German screw driver works well with JIS.  

I wonder if these companies use some sort of international standard?  In this age of global commerce, building country-specific screw drivers would be expensive.  If JIS-style driver fits both JIS and Phillips, it'd be smart to go with that. 

But, I'd say you can't have too many good tools or RC cars, especially Tamiya.  

• Like 2

Masked and painted a Ferrari F12 TDF shell. Red (because Ferraris shouldn’t be yellow!) backed with white - over the weekend I’ll finish off with the black front/back/skirts and the smoked windows

19B38A54-EF29-48B9-95D9-86FCE18824FA.jpeg

• Like 3

Did a test fit of the rear axle of my crawler / trail rig.

Top links failed to mount properly to the frame.

Sighed and put it back under my desk while I try to figure out a solution.

On a more positive note, I ordered an RC excavator for my son’s Christmas present!

• Like 1

(Yesterday) Pre-ordered a  Clodbuster Black Edition through my LHS

• Like 6

Switched the 0251MG servo into the CR01 this afternoon.  I had to add three 1mm spacers each side and I managed to find 4 3x15mm screws in my spares for the perfect fit.  The servo saver has only a tiny amount of clearance with the front bumper moved as far forward as the screws allowed.  The connecting rod to the servo rubs a little against the bumper but I don't think it'll cause a problem.

S4dXdcG.jpg

Having a 16kg servo in the CR01 should be a bit more appropriate than it being in the little MF01X.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

(Yesterday) Pre-ordered a  Clodbuster Black Edition through my LHS

Is there an image available yet? The Tamiya site mentions new sticker designs.

22 hours ago, SimonL said:

Red

Which one is it. I'm looking at different reds at the moment trying to choose one?

13 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Is there an image available yet? The Tamiya site mentions new sticker designs.

Don’t think so, I’ve only seen the grey scale image that has been floating around. I’m hoping that the plastics aren’t blue

20 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Which one is it. I'm looking at different reds at the moment trying to choose one?

PS34 - Bright Red. At the moment it’s still got the outer film coating on the shell, so I expect it will brighten up a bit when I remove that - will post another picture tomorrow (assuming the perpetual rain stops and I can get outside to complete the black trims and smoke windows)

• Thanks 1

Said goodbye to my Kyosho Blizzard today. It was fun, but I hate the cold and snow more and more as I age. Maybe it will fund another Kyosho Car Crusher or a Bigwig re-re.

• Like 1

Took my kids to the park yesterday.

Gave my daughter the dump truck and my 2 year old a too-fast-for-him stampede. Most of my runners use one radio, which the dump truck was using which you turn the throttle rate down on.

Glad that after a few wheelies and crashes with the stampede, my son learned that "gentle" throttle application means he didn't have to go over and right the truck. Although after about 10 minutes he ended up at the far end of the field, and while I wasn't looking, drove the truck down a bank and into a tennis court fence, which ripped the whole front steering block out. Tears were shed when he realised the stampede was no longer in service and his older sister was still driving the dump truck. 😄

I can see a comical frog for her, and either a comical hornet or grasshopper for him in the near future.

J4gOGVo.jpg

• Like 14

@berman That looks like a fun afternoon. I can highly recommend the comicals for kids and grass running. Mine is pretty much stock apart from the obvious bearings and hard coat pinion. I popped one of the ebay special black and gold 21t brushed motor and a 1060 esc in it. Even on lipo and full throttle it's fine for kids, and fast enough that last time i lent it to my nieces and nephews they ended up having running races against it! Plus the kids love the look of it. 

• Like 1

Joined rally race today. I didn't win any trophy but it was all fun. I finished 4th overall on the stock rally car class. My car was the only FWD, the rest were 4WD (XV-01, TT-02, TA-02, TA-03)

yea847Th.jpg

XR601yPh.jpg

PYbFkTgh.jpg

EKz5ItXh.jpg

RBB5MSYh.jpg

n529zxJh.jpg

xuCHxyfh.jpg

• Like 8

Worked on the electrification of my Mugen Prime 12 nitro chassis.

Looks like it can all (barely) fit. Need to make a new top-plate on the chassis, and a better motor mount as this L-shaped bracket has too much flex for my taste.

IVmG262.jpg

SuHhCIo.jpg

• Like 1