Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got the motor mounted on my trail rig - needed a couple of 1mm spacers to fit nicely with the spur gear.

Haven't pressed the button yet but I'm hovering over the Tamico deal of the day....

I was unlocking the diff on my cc-01, when I put the diff together I snapped of one of the tiny screws, not happy can't  get the screw out, so I ordered a new diff casing.

5 hours ago, J@mes said:

@Badcrumble That’s a sweet deal, even with the shipping

Add in a couple of 5000mah batteries, off-sets the postage nicely. Now, do I need any spares....?

Edit: got distracted by work (the work that funds the hobby!). Remembered just in time and pressed the button. A nice project for 2020 or beyond.

• Like 1

Took a half day in leiu of a late finish earlier in the week and got myself up to Force near Wakefield for their open test and tune afternoon, so i could get some solid touring car practice and do some chassis tuning away from a race. Had the place to myself! Track is tight for 1/10th scale, but good practice. Getting a bit better, and tried a few things on the car which seemed to be positive changes. Still turns in a bit too quickly for my liking, but that could just mean i need more practice! Also considering ditching sticks for racing. I can definitely see a throttle and wheel being quicker to move and more responsive, particularly for braking and left/right moves. 

As well as all that i also took my other two on road cars and had a ball! My FF03 is so nice to drive! Seriously considering getting a cheap body to bash up in races and use that instead. Was fun razzing about with the 306 though. Looked ace on track. 

20191205_172539

And for laughs i put the racing slicks on my RR-03RA RS200. That was also loads of fun

20191205_164410

The suspension is so soft that i had to lift the front body clips to stop it srcaping going around corners, and i managed to grip roll it a couple of times, but it was a giggle to blast around thr track and surpringly easy to handle. I could see with stiffer springs it might actually be a pretty good track car. Fun day. 

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Took a half day in leiu of a late finish earlier in the week and got myself up to Force near Wakefield for their open test and tune afternoon, so i could get some solid touring car practice and do some chassis tuning away from a race. Had the place to myself!

That sounds great! How much does it cost to do a test and tune session for non-members?

10 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

That sounds great! How much does it cost to do a test and tune session for non-members?

I'm not a member. Cost £8 for up to 4 hours. Track times are on their website. 

I ran my GF01 Dump Truck and G601 Konghead at my little "track" around a collection of trees at the local high school - I snapped the screw for the bumper mount in the plastic mount, so had to remove that, drill out the screw, then put longer screws in and put it back together.

Met up with @Jonnythefox87 in a car park in Rickmansworth to pass on a Stadium Thunder Body set and Blitzer chassis. Then had a bash around with with his 13.5t lunchbox and my Sport tuned (Black) stadium Thunder in the skate park and tennis court. Was pleasantly surprised how well the ST kept up, hadnt quite got the legs though. Mind you the Lunchie spent alot of time on its roof:DWhat a hoot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Met up with @Jonnythefox87 in a car park in Rickmansworth to pass on a Stadium Thunder Body set and Blitzer chassis. Then had a bash around with with his 13.5t lunchbox and my Sport tuned (Black) stadium Thunder in the skate park and tennis court. Was pleasantly surprised how well the ST kept up, hadnt quite got the legs though. Mind you the Lunchie spent alot of time on its roof:DWhat a hoot

Haha yeah had a blast with @Busdriver And yes the lunchie does spend half the time on its roof as I’m sure fellow LB owners will relate to! Looking forward to getting the stadium thunder/blitzer beetle up and running so we can do it again soon!

• Haha 1

I'd planned on doing some painting on a couple of projects I have on the go for a couple of fellow TC members. Unfortunately my sister in laws boiler burst a pipe on Friday, so she needed help sorting out the mess and drying things out, so not only did I get roped into assisting but my garage heater was donated to dry out her flat. :( I can't help but think this was in some way recompense on the part of Mrs. Jon for the money spent at MCI and Team BlueGroove last week......... :huh:

Anyway, as painting was off the menu I decided to finish up a couple of little jobs of my own and also do a bit on the SrBrover (patent pending on the name.)

Now, before I attach any pictures I want it made perfectly clear that this is still very much a WIP and is very rough. It will look much, much better when finished! Promise....

The main goal of this session was to get the body in the right place over the chassis so I can get the body mounts fixed. I'm pretty happy with the back - which is handy as it can't really go any lower without some (more) major surgery to the body. The front I think is ok, if anything I wonder if the nose is a bit too long and I should take a section out to bring it back towards the chassis?

IMG_1232

IMG_1233 IMG_1235

The rest of my time was split between the Madcap and my secret project!

The Madcap was shorn of its ESC and I reinstalled the mechanical speedo and resistor, along with upgrading a few screws here and there.

IMG_1242 IMG_1239 IMG_1237 IMG_1236

And so my friends, to the secret project.....

I was going to wait until I'd completely finished it before posting any pics of it, but I'm just too excited and at the rate I get my stuff done it'll be 2023 before it's complete.

You may remember a while back I was reunited with my childhood Astute. After restoring it back to its former glory I found myself feeling a little...underwhelmed. A bit like when you meet your childhood hero and find they wear lifts in their shoes. :) I couldn't put my finger on it, but it just didn't excite me for some reason. Then a few months ago I was browsing the TC archives and found the RCC article on their Jamie Booth Astute replica. Suddenly I knew what I had to do. When I was a kid I always wanted to upgrade my Astute but just didn't have the pocket money to do it, so I was always a bit frustrated with it. All I'd done by restoring it was reignite that frustration. So with the complete ignorance of Mrs. Jon :huh: I spent the next few months scouring the world for those elusive (and expensive) parts to create my own Jamie Booth replica. The parts list consisted of:

Schumacher front and rear vintage tyres, Wild One front wheels, brand new vintage Madcap B and C parts trees, vintage LRP orange Grand Prix motor, a bunch of various ball connectors and assorted vintage screws, carbon reinforced uprights, vintage Tekin 700 Pro Pulse ESC, KO Propo KR receiver and KO Propo FET servo, square wire Hi-Cap springs plus a few other things I've forgotten.

On their way are a battery holder (should be a Schumacher Cougar one but I've given up on trying to find one for now) and a new body set with vintage sponsor decals. The paint scheme won't be exactly like Jamie's, but will be a homage with my take on it.

I've not stuck 100% to the build - the radio gear isn't a match and the carbon uprights didn't exist back then. However, it's my car at the end of the day and I want it my way! :) The carbon uprights made sense , plus they tie in better visually than the white ones. Otherwise the build mechanically is exact.

The nice thing is I've not had to modify any of the original parts, so I can put it back to original in the future if I want.

Anyway - pics!

IMG_1243

IMG_1244 IMG_1245 IMG_1246 IMG_1246 IMG_1247 IMG_1248 IMG_1249

I just love it!!! :wub:

• Like 9

I bought a Blazing Blazer front roof section last night as it had the elusive piece that fits under the leading front edge.

I could have gone Shapeways but I don’t have to now which suits me much better. 

I’ve had this BB 4 years,  it is in great original shape and ripe for a light restoration sometime in the future. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Accidentally bought a cheap TT02. Ooops

Would be criminal not to:o

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Accidentally bought a cheap TT02. Ooops

Is there such a thing as a cheap TT02?  Will it stay cheap?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Is there such a thing as a cheap TT02?  Will it stay cheap?

Haha! It was cheap with electronics and cva shocks and bearings. I have almost an entire reversible suspension arm set leftover from converting my TA06 to TRF419 suspension, so i can see a cheap mostly-out-of-spares Type S conversion maybe. Nice little winter project. Now i amdoing more on road stuff thought it might be nice to have a nice handling runner for the kids to use. 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Haha! It was cheap with electronics and cva shocks and bearings. I have almost an entire reversible suspension arm set leftover from converting my TA06 to TRF419 suspension, so i can see a cheap mostly-out-of-spares Type S conversion maybe. Nice little winter project. Now i amdoing more on road stuff thought it might be nice to have a nice handling runner for the kids to use. 

Of course, for the kids!  Admittedly my onroad cars have sat around with the exception of the F1 cars since I bought one for Jamie too.  We take them to the school every so often to run on the courts which makes a change from the backyard or offroad track on club days.  If it wasn't for his one then it would sit around.  I need to finish the TT02D I have sitting here with an unpainted shell, and probably get some rubber tyres for it.  Then I can take the TA07 out as well.  Its not as much fun on a big open court with the TA07 as its point and shoot, but it would still be nice to use it occasionally.

Does your onroad club run a kids class or open class or something?  It'll be perfect for the kids to run at that if they do.  I've found that removes the cap from the racing budget when its a father-child thing!