Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Finally put the M04 chassis for my HPI BMW back together after I had crashed it.

The shell was undamaged but the closer I looked at it the more I realised that whilst the second hand shell is in good nick, it wasn’t perfectly trimmed. Given that I had struggled to get it nicely mounted with stealth mounts, I am now more inclined to use the 3D printed body mounts I bought aaaages ago and get it running in the Spring.

Now,  must find that M04 Giulia chassis I started and never finished...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

What did you use to polish it? I have one of these ready to build and wanted to try something similar.

It was an experiment because the body had already been stickered & used, so with nothing to lose I polished it first with Farecla G3 then finished with Autofinese triple.

The triple polish is awesome stuff, gives remarkable results on full size cars for minimal effort, my kind of product! 

Most big Halfords stock it.

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Finally got the body all stickered up

20191214-192442.jpg

You seem to have sorted the matt black

2 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

You seem to have sorted the matt black

I got it to be mat, needed more mixing. But no matter what i try, i cant get it to look very even. Ive given it probably 4 coats with a days drying time inbetween but no matter how nicely i lay it on, it looks a bit washy.

When i wax the body ill probably go over the flat black too. From previous experience it will make it a little satin, but will even out the finish too.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, Grotty Otty said:

Gun metal looks better than the silver I did mine. Badass 😎

Yeah, gunmetal is one of my favorite colors...

sup12.thumb.jpg.6acfb05b80dd4c34409fc7843b08429e.jpg

...here is my daily driver...

bee2.thumb.jpg.5b86f97c0ebf030a4724998cfd6e6da0.jpg

...but i will also do a silver body (ps12) since this supershot is all vintage, has the original msc, even the bearings are vintage, and i think ps23 was non existant in 1986...

sup13.thumb.jpg.da0901a8021a54d291ea2c0e39c361b2.jpg

....meanwhile i started the next project...

sho1.thumb.jpg.2772bfe1d2f2ab8331a3d69435d00eb7.jpg

....one hour later it looked like this....

sho2.thumb.jpg.5d3800aada038a77907d4c8b61781512.jpg

• Like 5

We had our club prizegiving, agm, fun raceday today. Turns out the ESC on my 4wd stock buggy is knackered,  it wasn't just the sensor cable. I ran Jamie's car so I could run and immediately started planning the upgrades. I got lapped twice by someone I'm usually close to. I will swap some motors around when my new esc arrives, in time for next year. Will order the ESC when we're back from our xmas holiday. Also not a fan of those Savox 1251MG, the 1258TG is so much better. Not sure how to wangle more of those...

A couple of guys brought some blitzers along and ran in open class. I almost took my Boomerang but didn't which was annoying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Also not a fan of those Savox 1251MG, the 1258TG is so much better. Not sure how to wangle more of those...

Just curious, what don't you like about the 1251?

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

Just curious, what don't you like about the 1251?

It is noticably slower on track. I run one in my 2wd but it seems fine in that, not so much in fhe 4wd. It was almost like having to anticipate the turn or something, so you'd be turning before you want to. It was probably compounded by the fact that my car is setup a lot better and just faster at everything (except when its not and its sitting in a box). Buying again though, unless I needed the shorty I would get the 1258TG anyway as they are about the same price so why not go for the much better specs 

• Like 1

I've ghetto-winterized my Manta Ray yesterday, so I went for a very wet session to test it out. It was fun!

More pics available on the re-re thread.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Built the chassis of this grasshopper back in 2015 (I think) together with a second one I completely built one of them I used as a bit of a experiment car putting brushless combos 2-3s lipos in to it to see what it would do and OMG the gearbox put up with all I chucked at it but unfortunately it bit the dust a few weeks ago when my fantastic driving skills spun it over and destroyed the chassis (spring mounts ripped off and also cracked the body and took quite a few teeth off the spur gear:unsure:) anyway this body of the second one was never finished the whole thing was just put back in the box and kept for a rainy day!......which was today👍

20191215_211449.jpg

• Like 2

Put a DT-02 back together thanks to some cheap c hubs from @ThunderDragonCy

It's been up on bricks since I "borrowed" them to put on my Lunchbox when I added DT02 front suspension.

Thanks or helping me avoid buying 2 whole parts trees mate!

• Like 1

I went up the side of Mt Dandenong (east of Melbourne, Australia) with my MST CMX sporting a Tamiya CC01 body I bought at the Tamiya store in Tokyo. The other 3 guys had the new Axial Capra, which performed exceptionally well, but the little CMX on smaller tires did remarkably well. We discussed the recent CC02 release and we were all disappointed (as current/former CC01 owners) that Tamiya hadn't improved the IFS/solid rear configuration, instead of ditching it. The CMX also runs CFX rock sliders, a modified front bar from a HPI Venture, beadlock wheels with RC4WD tires and some eBay special lights and towhooks.

20191215111152_IMG_7627.thumb.JPG.49492347816a0436bce7285b5c707886.JPG20191215121322_IMG_7631.thumb.JPG.e35c2eb79b3f3080a40c7e2077776c5c.JPG20191215110253_IMG_7623.thumb.JPG.5f7e663d33c89a496077cb909d4dc7a9.JPG

I then drove the WR02 and GF01 later in the day to finish off some unused packs - no photos though.

• Like 4

On 12/15/2019 at 3:32 AM, graemevw said:

Finally got the body all stickered up

20191214-192442.jpg

Beautiful! :)

Yesterday's Christmas rally race. I ran the LRP S10RR for the first time. Finished 5th in the B-main out of 11 cars (vs XV-01 and TT-02 cars). Not bad to be honest and I'm very happy with how the car performed.

4Wuvy2Yh.jpg

NCGJgeYh.jpg

the track

tRzNuDnh.jpg

WSY0ZObh.jpg

5jFSa5Jh.jpg

7BYsiNph.jpg

ThRRDGJh.jpg

8KDp4F0h.jpg

EZnW9uhh.jpg

oDIxpyYh.jpg

vmptAcih.jpg

YGLPPdZh.jpg

• Like 14

Made a start on the Top Force and am about haflway through. Both ends are assembled with shocks on and tomorrow will be joining them together. Its gone together really well, the only thing I'm sceptical about is the ball diffs, no idea if they're tight enough. Gone wity the 69T spur and 21T pinion for an FDR of 8:1 which should work with the 23T brushed motor. I hope.

The Super stocks have geen shipped too so should be here in a few days.

• Like 2

Made some updates to my showroom on the mainsite. Thought I would use the resource available to maintain my 'stable'!

It feels like there is a divide between the two Tamiyaclub entities with so many entries on the mainsite from people who aren't active here. Which seems a shame given the wealth of models and experience on the mainsite.

That said, I don't use  Facebook or Instagram and have barely scratched the surface of YouTube! so I'm sure I am missing out on a tonne of RC!

19 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

the track

tRzNuDnh.jpg

I wish I lived somewhere that outside there was something that resembles dust. Its been continually raining here since the beginning of september.

Looks like a really great event!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Made a start on the Top Force and am about haflway through. Both ends are assembled with shocks on and tomorrow will be joining them together. Its gone together really well, the only thing I'm sceptical about is the ball diffs, no idea if they're tight enough. Gone wity the 69T spur and 21T pinion for an FDR of 8:1 which should work with the 23T brushed motor. I hope.

The Super stocks have geen shipped too so should be here in a few days.

It says in the instructions to tighten the diffs up until they stop. I think they tighten up against a shoulder to cant overtighten them.

• Like 1

Finished the Top Force this evening. All electronics are in but I need to cut and paint the body. I am also waiting on the Super Stock motor for it which should arrive any day now.

I think thats probably my favourite build, certainly the best of the rere's and the HB cars. Its up there with the TA07and TRF102 which unfortuantely I rushed since I was getting them ready for a race meet so didn't make the most of them.

I suspect the Super Astute would be as good, but can't seem to work out a way to get one of those.

• Like 4

Ordered the final parts (ESC, motor, pinion gear) for my TT02RR build, which I’ll hopefully accomplish over Christmas, assuming Father Christmas brings me the chassis :)

• Like 1

Put my new Schumacher SST tyres on the spare wheels and ran my TA06 in the street for the first time in ages. They are so great for street running something a bit racey. Also got a trigger and wheel handset to experiment with, and it felt pretty good. Easier to make quick movements for racing. Been thinking that my sticks might be making my life a bit tricky when racing. We'll see, but encouraging start. 

• Like 2

I recently swapped the motor in my FAV from a 17.5T to a 21.5T. Today I took it out for the first run. Between the motor and the Gmade XD dampers I put on it, I'm so much happier with how it drives. It doesn't bounce around like before, and it doesn't feel too slow. I have another 15 degrees of timing on the motor if I want to kick up the speed, and it only got up to 80f so I can use it if I feel the need. You can still enjoy the benefits of brushless motors without overpowering your vintage/re-re model.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Put my new Schumacher SST tyres on the spare wheels and ran my TA06 in the street for the first time in ages. They are so great for street running something a bit racey. Also got a trigger and wheel handset to experiment with, and it felt pretty good. Easier to make quick movements for racing. Been thinking that my sticks might be making my life a bit tricky when racing. We'll see, but encouraging start. 

What handset did you go for?

Painted a couple of bodies today, my R33 Skyline from the TT02D which I've had sitting around since July.  Oops.  Shows where my priorities lie.  I only painted the Skyline since I was painting the Top Force and figured if I didn't paint the Skyline now I never would.

Also fitted the Super Stock TZ to the Top Force, even my wife agreed it looks great.  I also had to own up to buying 2 Super Stock motors while watching cricket and having had a few beers.  I stressed the fact that I got 2 for the price of 1, so it wasn't bad buying 2, even though I could have had 1 for the price of 1/2 but I glossed over that.

My Top Force is now something that 14yo me would be proud of.  The only hop up I think it might be worth adding is the carbon chassis set but we'll see, the car seems stiff enough to me.  I'm going to take this one to an indoor offroad club that has a vintage class so will see how it goes.  I'm tempted to get another body painted up in my race colours to save the green one for the shelf, but then I @#^1@$ up the green one, so that really means buying 2 new bodies.  They are also out of stock everywhere.

Question - is it still a hop up when its the same price as the kit?  Or is that a new kit?

• Like 2