Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What handset did you go for?

Painted a couple of bodies today, my R33 Skyline from the TT02D which I've had sitting around since July.  Oops.  Shows where my priorities lie.  I only painted the Skyline since I was painting the Top Force and figured if I didn't paint the Skyline now I never would.

Also fitted the Super Stock TZ to the Top Force, even my wife agreed it looks great.  I also had to own up to buying 2 Super Stock motors while watching cricket and having had a few beers.  I stressed the fact that I got 2 for the price of 1, so it wasn't bad buying 2, even though I could have had 1 for the price of 1/2 but I glossed over that.

My Top Force is now something that 14yo me would be proud of.  The only hop up I think it might be worth adding is the carbon chassis set but we'll see, the car seems stiff enough to me.  I'm going to take this one to an indoor offroad club that has a vintage class so will see how it goes.  I'm tempted to get another body painted up in my race colours to save the green one for the shelf, but then I @#^1@$ up the green one, so that really means buying 2 new bodies.  They are also out of stock everywhere.

Question - is it still a hop up when its the same price as the kit?  Or is that a new kit?

We need pics, Tamico have the carbon chassis or there was a new one for sale not long ago in the sales thread.

• Like 1

Ordered 2  cars, the Blue Brat and a TRX-4 for myself. I've been wanting to try crawling and I just love the blue brat. Sadly they will be on the back back burner as i just recently got back to a point where i have time and i have 3 other vehicles to finish (xv-01, MF-01x and my Lunchbox...lol)

748b62314cf1c2d237a5937fd09fd80f.jpg

trx-4.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oneball1971 said:

We need pics, Tamico have the carbon chassis or there was a new one for sale not long ago in the sales thread.

I can do pics tomorrow. I'm stoked with the Top Force even though the body is just a botched version of what the instructions say. That metallic green is amazing.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 7:25 AM, Superluminal said:

I wish I lived somewhere that outside there was something that resembles dust. Its been continually raining here since the beginning of september.

Looks like a really great event!!

We could do with a swap on the weather front as we’ve had stuff all rain for months, so there’s plenty of dust here. 
The dust certainly makes for adding another dimension to an RC run though as they look a lot faster than they are going 😉. But for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, all the cleaning afterwards. Ahh well small price to pay for an afternoon of fun 😁

1537A1EB-2905-4587-BF47-68BC26B64608.md.

38FC78AE-EB53-4AB5-89AE-0C9937ED21DF.md.

EF76E095-67AA-4E49-B72D-7144CD9CAC8C.md.

06960B06-D823-4996-B856-DB4CAF049B44.md.

13890492-561E-4A5E-8AEE-A85B076061AA.md.

A pile of dried out grass clippings can be as much fun too 👍🏻

850F238B-4A38-434F-A32E-57F4275DA376.md.

• Like 16

@Jonathon Gillham I got a Flysky GT5. My stick Tx is an FS-i6 so it means for my 2A Rx i already own i can just bind them with the GT5 to try it. That's what i did with TA06. I just copied the settings exactly from the i6 and set the throttle end points and it worked straight away, which is good! Feels much better than the cheap absima wheel i had for the kids a while ago and the GT3C i briefly owned which came with a used buggy. I can definitely see the potential for racing. The short throw on the trigger and wheel mean transitions from throttle to brake and directiin changes are much quicker.

As for your Top Force, there's a couple of places do Repro bodies. Check ebay. Shipping might sting a bit to NZ but they aren't big money to start with. For the carbon chassis, unless you are married to Tamiya parts, check out fibrelyte in the uk. They have an off the shelf Top Force carbon chassis and Evo towers which are beautiful and way cheaper than the tamiya kit. That comes with a bunch of stuff like the stand offs and posts for converting a tub chassis that you don't need. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 4:56 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

I suspect the Super Astute would be as good, but can't seem to work out a way to get one of those.

Step 1,   Press ‘Add to cart’

Step 2,   Press ‘Proceed to checkout’ & ‘Pay now’

Step 3,  Book a table for 2 at a nice restaurant and take some flowers with you. 

See easy peasy 1,2,3, Done 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Step 1,   Press ‘Add to cart’

Step 2,   Press ‘Proceed to checkout’ & ‘Pay now’

Step 3,  Book a table for 2 at a nice restaurant and take some flowers with you. 

See easy peasy 1,2,3, Done 👍🏻

You're a genius, why didn't i think of that? Have you tried it?

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jonathon Gillham I got a Flysky GT5. My stick Tx is an FS-i6 so it means for my 2A Rx i already own i can just bind them with the GT5 to try it. That's what i did with TA06. I just copied the settings exactly from the i6 and set the throttle end points and it worked straight away, which is good! Feels much better than the cheap absima wheel i had for the kids a while ago and the GT3C i briefly owned which came with a used buggy. I can definitely see the potential for racing. The short throw on the trigger and wheel mean transitions from throttle to brake and directiin changes are much quicker.

As for your Top Force, there's a couple of places do Repro bodies. Check ebay. Shipping might sting a bit to NZ but they aren't big money to start with. For the carbon chassis, unless you are married to Tamiya parts, check out fibrelyte in the uk. They have an off the shelf Top Force carbon chassis and Evo towers which are beautiful and way cheaper than the tamiya kit. That comes with a bunch of stuff like the stand offs and posts for converting a tub chassis that you don't need. 

I've heard good things about the GT5, makes sense since you can use all your current rx too. I switched to wheel in the 90s and haven't looked back.

Thanks for the tip about repro bodies, that would be ideal for the racing shell if they're cheaper.

The Yeah Racing set isn't a bad price from rcmart too, not sure of the quality of the carbon though but all the yeah racing stuff i have has been pretty good. I've only heard good things about fibrelyte though and would be weighing thkse 2 up ifI do go down that route. I haven't actually run it yet and it feels stiff enough as is, not like the TA07 which was always bendy. I would try making a top deck first though as I have the carbon and the kit one to work from.

Awesome stuff I was just going to ask for handset recommendations as I want to upgrade my GT3C 👍

• Like 2

Awesome stuff I was just going to ask for handset recommendations as I want to upgrade my GT3.

How much?

Where from?

Can it be bound to multiple R/X?

Lipo or AA’s? 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You're a genius, why didn't i think of that? Have you tried it?

Like a charm my friend, you have my word 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Awesome stuff I was just going to ask for handset recommendations as I want to upgrade my GT3.

How much?

Where from?

Lipo or AA’s? 

Thank you 

I saw this a little while ago and found it very interesting. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, a.w.k. said:

...meanwhile i started the next project...

sho1.thumb.jpg.2772bfe1d2f2ab8331a3d69435d00eb7.jpg

Nice! Still have one that needs attention too. It looks like it's been stored in a painters shed!
So stripdown and then a bucket of paint remover and a Bluegroove replacement body. Wheels need repair too.

So many dreams, so little time....... :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

Nice! Still have one that needs attention too. It looks like it's been stored in a painters shed!
So stripdown and then a bucket of paint remover and a Bluegroove replacement body. Wheels need repair too.

So many dreams, so little time....... :lol:

Man I'm a sucker for black and gold. Gonna have to go d one of these!

4 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

How much?

Where from?

Lipo or AA’s? 

Thank you 

It was about 45 quid on ebay with a 6 channel receivet which has a built in gyro

20 model memory, but only works on the AFHDS 2A Rx so if you have any of those super cheap Fs-3gre Rx on 1amp AFHDS they won't work. I didn't know this so i have about 3 of the 3gre Rx i need to replace with FS-A3 Rx if i convert fully. My FS-i6 stick radio has the option to switch between the two options. Last night i bound the GT5 to the FS-A3 in my TA06 in 5 seconds. Worked perfectly.

4 x AA but there is a lipo plug. 

• Thanks 1

Stripped and cleaned my new to me WW2 XB and added ball races while I was at it.

Also ran it gently in the house on an old part charged battery...

then added to the display

2019-12-17_08-05-39

• Like 3

On 12/16/2019 at 9:25 PM, Superluminal said:

I wish I lived somewhere that outside there was something that resembles dust. Its been continually raining here since the beginning of september.

Looks like a really great event!!

I'll second that! I was just thinking that last night when I was driving home from work I can't remember the last time I drove home late at night and it hasn't been raining!

13 minutes ago, moffman said:

I'll second that! I was just thinking that last night when I was driving home from work I can't remember the last time I drove home late at night and it hasn't been raining!

*sigh* we also could do with more rain. rained a little bit last night but not enough to top up our rainwater tanks (got 4 x 900litre tanks for collecting rainwater from roof/gutters, for use in washing/the garden). its not as bad as two years ago where the municipality had to limit fresh water supply. people are more careful now. different worlds huh.

8 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

20 model memory, but only works on the AFHDS 2A Rx so if you have any of those super cheap Fs-3gre Rx on 1amp AFHDS they won't work. I didn't know this so i have about 3 of the 3gre Rx i need to replace with FS-A3 Rx if i convert fully. My FS-i6 stick radio has the option to switch between the two options. Last night i bound the GT5 to the FS-A3 in my TA06 in 5 seconds. Worked perfectly

kind of annoying the GT5 can't switch between AFHDS and AFHDS-2A. also the buttons are not programmable. ie the dials/switches are fixed to their respective channels. hacked gt3c is more flexible in this regard. pity the gt3c has appalling range.

Ran the Top Force today and it was everything I had hoped for. It has the rideheight of the Boomerang but the turning circle of the TT02B, or better. It also looks amazing.

I was worried about overheating the Super Stock TZ with the 8:1 FDR but turns out it wasn't an issue- the TBLE-02S thermalled before the motor could get too hot. I need a HW 1060, this build is well out of control, I may as well order the carbon chassis set.

The Super Stock was similar speed to a trackstar 13.5T v1, so decent speed from it, well worth the cost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Ran the Top Force today and it was everything I had hoped for. It has the rideheight of the Boomerang but the turning circle of the TT02B, or better. It also looks amazing.

I was worried about overheating the Super Stock TZ with the 8:1 FDR but turns out it wasn't an issue- the TBLE-02S thermalled before the motor could get too hot. I need a HW 1060, this build is well out of control, I may as well order the carbon chassis set.

The Super Stock was similar speed to a trackstar 13.5T v1, so decent speed from it, well worth the cost.

Yeah go on, get the carbon chassis set, it is Xmas. I have Yeah Racing ball ends and Yeah Racing Servo posts in their way

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jonathon Gillham Awesome! So happy it is everything you hoped. 

Its the perfect backyard runner, none of the problems of the TT02B but the performance of a much more modern buggy.

6 minutes ago, Oneball1971 said:

Yeah go on, get the carbon chassis set, it is Xmas. I have Yeah Racing ball ends and Yeah Racing Servo posts in their way

Are the servo posts alloy? They would look good...especially if the colour matches the rest.

Whats wrong with the ball ends? The kit ones seem fine to me. Or do you mean the ball bits themselves, like those ones where you screw tye grub screw in and then screw the ball on?

I would probably go for the Yeah Racing carbon set, I don't need the turnbuckles. But will run it for a bit first.

Looking for another body to get painted as a race shell and the cheapest is NZD50 which seems a lot. Its out of stock everywhere and apparently discontinued now. Does that mean I should suck it up and buy it now, or its just about to have another run since the kit is available again?

These are the ones I got. The servo posts were available in blue but it was a light blue, so got the black to go with the Savox black edition.

download.jpeg.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

took my new build hotshot to the beach today, after 2 minutes it rolled over and broke of the front knuckle, I did a field repair and used the other hole in the knuckle and adjust the end point, then I run it for 2 battery packs with no problem.

I had a blast with this car, I don't know why others don't like it for me its drives fine and it do little jumps great, I have driven a lot of worst handling cars then the hotshot.

the gmade shocks are nice on it and do a great job, it bottoms out nice and have a lot of travel left in the shocks.

I don't know of the front knuckle is a weak part or not, the kit comes with this ones  and 2 pair of the old style ones, I try the old style ones for now and see if they hold up if not I buy some alloy knuckles for it.

IMG_7345.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

• Like 3

Today i tried the floor polish technique on some old windows i couldnt get a good enough finish on. No matter how much i sanded/polished i couldnt get the spotting and final bits of hazing out. Dip in floor polish and they look almost new! Ill give them another coat or two then post pics in a few days.