Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought this rolling chassis from an affable fellow on Gumtree, for $132 posted (£70), and although he advertised it as "negotiable" it turned out we negotiated including the Kumamon figure, as I certainly wasn't going to buy it without that! Apparently he's used the tires on another project, so if anyone has some old DT02 tires lying around they'd like to post to Australia I'd be very appreciative! Now I just have to wait until mid next week for it to arrive...

Desktop3.thumb.jpg.03a6df4f69f177ca7e034a1e8893998e.jpg

I also gave the mini Lunchbox a run inside this morning - the heat has been 35-42°C the last few days so I just had to run something!

Finally finished the skyline gtr 2003

Sat on a tb evo II, used wide wheels on the back. I didn't like the blacked out window stickers so cut the out, masked and smoked the windows instead. 

Nice and easy when it's one colour 👍

IMG_20191230_222613.jpg

• Like 11

Got some cosmetic work done on my rally beetle:

49301546016_7b6a2cd5e6_b.jpg

Few stickers stuck, test fit of interior. 

roughshod rod is revving to go!

• Like 6

Technically, this was yesterday, but, while on vacation ('holiday') in Dublin, Ireland over the last week, I snuck away to check out Marks Models. Lovely little shop right near City Center. It definitely caters to the static model and train crowd, but I did find a single Tamiya RC on the shelves - a brand, new Grasshopper. 

IMG_3310.thumb.jpg.9f4bbea9dd551d1d0944b50c23924a1b.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, msgimartin said:

Technically, this was yesterday, but, while on vacation ('holiday') in Dublin, Ireland over the last week, I snuck away to check out Marks Models. Lovely little shop right near City Center. It definitely caters to the static model and train crowd, but I did find a single Tamiya RC on the shelves - a brand, new Grasshopper. 

Isn't it a good feeling when you see the two stars above a shop or on a shop window:)......but tinged with sadness when you come out empty handed:unsure: and you have really tried to buy something!, I was in new York back in end of September beginning of October and came across a tamiya supplier sticker in a window Excellent I thought? But when went in it was a outdoor pursuits shop:o rifles, camouflage wear, binoculars etc etc.........no tamiya rc probably an old sticker from a previous owner!

9 hours ago, msgimartin said:

Oh I'm in Dublin in a couple weeks! Might have to check this out.

• Like 2

Attempted to make some progress with the JK Jeep today. I made some progress, not all of it in the right direction. Yesterday I took the motor off and undid the top damper mounts. So today I...

Went to fit the new Panhard mount and the Panhard link to it. Got the mount on no problem, had to remove the steering servo tray to fit the link.

Fitted link, re-fitted servo tray.

I put the motor back on and tried to refit the dampers in their new top hole position, reversing the screw direction to make it easier to change in future (so so thought).

Failed miserably to get a grip on the little lock nut using the spanner from my XV-01 kit.

Took the motor back off. Attached the dampers with new spacers. Hmm, something isn’t right - chassis twisted to one side. Panhard link too short?

Re-fitted the motor.

Decided to press on and fit the steering servo. Hmm, can’t seem to get it in place. Removed the servo tray again.

Fitted servo.

Tried to re- fit the tray with the servo on it. Hmm, this doesn’t feel right, why isn’t it sitting right?  

Removed servo, moved it to the other side of the tray, re-fitted tray to chassis. That’s better.

Screwed steering link to horn.

Ah, that’s no good - there’s no way this truck is turning left - the horn won’t clear the Panhard link. Must have put the servo in wrong.

F62594DA-6A0E-443F-A468-0AAB7A44C9CE.jpg

Ok, I’m tired and hungry. Time to go home and have a late lunch. Then some googling and YouTube to see where I screwed up.

At least I’ll have something to do in the New Year...

EDIT: starting position for the servo horn needs to be moved 90 degrees - should provide sufficient travel. 

Cut, drilled and mounted my new GT-R shell 

20191231_163520

I think it looks brilliant. I can see myself buying a couple more of these pre-painted shells. Also found a GENIUS way of marking body post holes on painted shells. Worked like a dream using blue tack

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

20191231_163520

I think it looks brilliant. I can see myself buying a couple more of these pre-painted shells. Also found a GENIUS way of marking body post holes on painted shells. Worked like a dream using blue tack

Decent looking body👍 how much may I ask? 

11 minutes ago, svenb said:

Decent looking body👍 how much may I ask? 

15 quid off ebay. Orange was a slow boat from china, but there are some other colours too, some of which are similar price and uk based. 

45 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

20191231_163520

I think it looks brilliant. I can see myself buying a couple more of these pre-painted shells.

Looks very good! It'll look even better with the protective film removed. Or are you keeping it on to protect the shell from running rash?

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks very good! It'll look even better with the protective film removed. Or are you keeping it on to protect the shell from running rash?

That is with the film off. Poor light/photographer likely to blame there! 

15 hours ago, msgimartin said:

I've been there! Wonderful, crowded little place. I went in looking for an MGB GT model, any scale, any type... and came up empty-handed. I could happily have brought about half their stock home with me, though...

Today, I took a photo I've wanted to take for quite a while now...

2019-12-31_11-55-46

Left: new-built Turbo Optima re-issue. Right: Original restored Optima, not run since restoration, with Marwan tires, full bearings, full stainless steel screws, and my own homemade steering linkage "fix".

• Like 8

Took my Blitzer out for its first beach run. Went to West Wittering in West Sussex (UK) as I'd been told it was areally good beach. It is but along with thousands of others who thoght New Years day was a good time to go it was pretty busy. Took the dog for an hours walk then the Blitzer. Went really well, sand is obviously one of its favourite surfaces.Unfortunately took my eye off the ball and went sideways into a wooden post. end result!!!

IMG_1694.JPG.fa47f16e76429f648b4f0d8d61d89427.JPG

Hey ho had to call it a day. Tony here I come:(

• Sad 1

Spent new years day in my dressing gown drinking beers with Calvin Brookman.

Bruisers been bit of a slow burn. Started building it back in may.

Resized_20200101_211148_3180.jpeg

• Like 2

Took the little guy out since it was pretty hot and dusty today after work. Forgot how funny it was to drive! I have a new body, decals and a lunchbox chassis to tart it up (No battery tray on it), but time and indecision means it hasn't been done. Also want to add a steel pinion and maybe go back to white wheels and tyres lettering. One thing is, it makes me miss me old mate Mike, whom I got it from 😔

aI3r41t.jpg

• Like 10

Not today, but since the 27th, despite a horrible cold and interruptions to go and see people :angry: I finally got around to biting the bullet and organising my garage.

For years I've been working in a very untidy garage that hasn't been changed since we bought the house over 10 years ago! All my (and my commissions) have been carried out on a Black and Decker Workmate (other workmates are available) with bits stored in cardboard boxes and plastic crates. Back in the summer I acquired some kitchen units which have further impounded my cramped workspace, but finally I decided everything needed to stop and I had to sort it out. 

It was definitely one of those jobs that hits the point where you are stood in a tiny corner surrounded by stuff thinking "what have I done?!" accompanied by a sense of overwhelming fear and suffocation. But, it thankfully all came together and I now have a nice practical place to work. By no means is it flash or impressive, but it's 100 times nicer than previously, which is more than good enough for me!

IMG_1251.thumb.JPG.50559139d099927c0dd5ce9cb4ea1b8d.JPG

Buoyed by my new surroundings I cracked on with a commission I'm working on and even found time to "sort of" finish a project of mine I've had stored on the back burner for about a year.

I got a LWB Willys back in mid 2018 which was a total wreck and promptly restored the chassis, partially restored the body and then got sidetracked doing some other restos. Upon cracking open the plastic crate this time I discovered there really wasn't that much left to do - fit the repro tyres, finish repairing/restoring the grill, paint the body and Willy, make a windscreen support and put it all together. Back when I started this I decided I didn't really want to go the box art olive green look as I didn't like it. Since then, I've done @barneys66 and @Grumpy pants SWB's and have changed my perspective on it, but I still didn't fancy doing it again, plus I had already painted the body in light sand with a mind to doing the alternative box art of the camo. So, I decided to honour my past self and go camo! :ph34r: All the publicity pictures are just of the left hand side, so at least 50% of this is made up, but I've tried to stay reasonably faithful to what is there. Willy got the corresponding silver helmet and white overalls look. I got super lazy and messed up the nitro bottle and extinguisher so I need to redo them, plus I need to add some decals, buy some spot light fronts, make a screen and another (better) windscreen support and do a couple of other little jobs but it's pretty much there. I think I do actually prefer the olive green now in hindsight, so I might paint over it all in the future, but for now he can sit on my work bench and bring a smile to my face :) 

IMG_1261 IMG_1264 IMG_1262 IMG_1263

• Like 9

Theres so much cool looking stuff in there!!!!!!!

What are the robots? I sort of recognise the green one - is it the scorpion base thing from transformers? Also, whats the yellow thing on the top shelf - looks like a helicopter body?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Theres so much cool looking stuff in there!!!!!!!

What are the robots? I sort of recognise the green one - is it the scorpion base thing from transformers? Also, whats the yellow thing on the top shelf - looks like a helicopter body?

:D you should see the display case I have in the spare bedroom (which Mrs. Jon now thinks should be moved into the garage now it looks so nice....) 

The big green one is an NBK oversized Devestator combiner, the other big one is a Jinbao oversized MMC Feral Rex combiner. In front of him is a FansProject City Commander Ultra Magus. The 2 big ones are in a queue to be custom painted and weathered (along with several Gundam) but these keep slipping back down the line. The aforementioned display case has a bunch of ones that have successfully navigated the queue, along with some vintage/rare Transformers.

The big yellow helicopter is a Century Hawk with a Century Bell 222 body. It's also in the queue, requiring a strip down and rebuild along with some paint (yes, probably will end up as Airwolf ;) )

• Like 2