Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got my Amarok WT-01N finished. I got a little too greedy while painting the second coat of PS-63 Bright Gun Metal, so there's a couple of blemishes. Luckily, the side blue digital camo (or at least that's the best I can describe it as) sticker covered some of it up. It's completely stock save for bearings (incl. in the pre-built transmission, which I pulled apart before I started building).

thumb_IMG_3369_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_3374_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_3375_1024.jpg

• Like 9

The reinforced A parts for my TT02 Type S build finally arrived so i made a little start. Didn't get beyond step one. After weeks of gathering parts, the second thing i tried to fit, the spacer for the Yeah Racing spur gear mount doesn't fit. It's too tight on the Tamiya alloy prop shaft outdrive. Put everything away again. This one could be frustrating..... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Few more cosmetic improvements to my rally beetle, flat clear to the chrome parts, more sponsor stickers, fitted the bumpers and now trying out some wheel & tyre combos. Favourite so far is the Lowride Pumpkin wheels (with flat clear to look more like steelies) and ‘The Smoothie’ tires.

49324372427_b7eaac3a68_b.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Few more cosmetic improvements to my rally beetle, flat clear to the chrome parts, more sponsor stickers, fitted the bumpers and now trying out some wheel & tyre combos. Favourite so far is the Lowride Pumpkin wheels (with flat clear to look more like steelies) and ‘The Smoothie’ tires.

49324372427_b7eaac3a68_b.jpg

Looks really good and your trialling has helped with some ideas for a future project. So thank you!

• Thanks 1

Found Ikea shoe racks to be a convenient way of adding a second deck to my RC shelves, which were running out of parking spaces for my touring cars. 

2020-01-03_03-40-58

The plan is eventually to put a bunch of them end to end along the whole shelf, doubling my parking. 

...Which would then mean I'd need to find cars to fill the spaces, and so the cycle continues... 😄

• Like 7

Put an offer (accepted) on a new built (and majorly hopped up) FF03 Pro chassis. I guess this Touring Car bug I’ve caught has really taken hold

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Finished setting up my TT02RR chassis build (although the cabling still needs some tidying) ready for club day on Sunday

F20F3A7B-41B0-4AA2-BC72-FDF072D4E4F9.jpeg

• Like 5

Finished the 4 WS servo on axle mod on my Bullhead. And dusting off my models (yes, I drive them that rarely that they have to be dusted off) and the shelf...

IMG_20200104_160209_compress84.thumb.jpg.25d93021b7230542d9f7f04b646e14ec.jpg

• Like 3

Made a start on my Konghead.

Bearings and gears and gears and bearings and gears and bearings and bearings :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks to Tony's Tamiya parts the Blitzer is fixed after its meeting with a big wooden post on the beach. Hope to have a shakedown tomorrow. Also played around with the programe card for the GoolRC ESC/Motor. Took a few goes to work out the translation but got there in the end. Will the level of punch affect cogging and would I be better running a 15t pinion ( the biggest I think it will take)instead of 13t?

• Like 1

Tamiya Junkies meet at Robin Hood Raceway. brilliant! Nice mellow track layout, loads of people running all sorts, and ran all my buggies/trucks for the first time in months. Everything ran nicely, but Ultra G was just brilliant (as usual) and my Thunder Dragon was lovely to drive too. This was amusing though

2020-01-04_08-36-48

• Like 9

I keep staring at the Super Clodbuster black edition and managing not to order it ...somehow :ph34r:

Took the TT02D and TA07 to the school with my son. The TA07 hasn't been run since getting the carbon shock towers and Reds motor (spec motor for the class, no choice) and it performed really well. The only question I have for someone who knows about tuning *cough* @ThunderDragonCy *cough* is when it changes direction quickly (ie turns left then straight into a right hander) the rear steps out and it can spin. Any suggestions? Otherwise it runs really well.

The TT02D was a laugh until the servo saver came off, just needs a new screw.

Then stripped the new (to me) Associated B6D which came setup for carpet with laydown trans etc, but came with everything I need including the optional 4 gear standup trans. This has now been rebuilt for dirt except shocks, which are messy and I couldn't be bothered. The first club day for 2020 is early feb so plenty of time. 

• Like 1

@Jonathon Gillham Glad you got tje onroads running. You flatter me with your faith. I am still scratching around with onroad setup, but getting there slowly. Scandi flick style chicanes do push the handling hard, but the oversteer is ultimately on entry to the second corner and it's due to fast weight transfer. Stiffer front sway bar or possibly one step stiffer both front and rear to control the weight transfer better, but this might compromise the handling elsewhere?

Interested to know how you get on with the B6D. Was the laydown you took off the short "layback" version that comes on the D or the full motor forward carpet version? Hopefully the 4 gear will give you lots of traction. 

17 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jonathon Gillham Glad you got tje onroads running. You flatter me with your faith. I am still scratching around with onroad setup, but getting there slowly. Scandi flick style chicanes do push the handling hard, but the oversteer is ultimately on entry to the second corner and it's due to fast weight transfer. Stiffer front sway bar or possibly one step stiffer both front and rear to control the weight transfer better, but this might compromise the handling elsewhere?

Interested to know how you get on with the B6D. Was the laydown you took off the short "layback" version that comes on the D or the full motor forward carpet version? Hopefully the 4 gear will give you lots of traction. 

I'm pretty sure its the laydown that comes with the carpet version of the B6, rather than the layback that the B6.1D comes with. It came with a B6D box and manual, and then a printed B6 manual and the laydown setup matches that. I think the person who bought it got the B6D cheap (I remember them on runout a few years ago) then did a full conversion.

Thanks for the tip, I need to check but I'm pretty sure I have the lightest swaybars in the car atm. So I could go up 2in the front and 1 in the rear. But will take the car to the school again and change them up and see what works best.

• Like 1

IMG_1698.JPG.7f0d7fdd0d24bfb973dd214d71b0933b.JPG

Started building at 16.55 today. Picture taken 17.49!!! Just servo and electrics to do and it'll run. Sport tuned, steel pinion and full bearings. Real fun build Simple accurate engineering.

• Like 4

Behold, the "Turbo Javelin"...

2020-01-05_10-17-12

Still need to paint and decal the driver, but it's ready to run. Simple electronics in this one: a Futaba S3305 servo, Tamiya TBLE-02 ESC, and a '90s-era LeMans Stock 05 motor. Can't wait for it to stop raining so I can go put it through its paces...

• Like 4

Made a start on my TT02 Type S build that i am building from some new parts and my own spares. Drilled out the offending spur mount spacer from the other day with my 5.1mm drill. Fits fine now but the anodising on the outside didn't survive the process! Still it will be covered up eventually.

Tamiya TT02 TYPE S

Used the Type S conversion kit 54634 to get all the arms mountings, which has the advantage over the kit parts that these have the droop plate mounting holes (not that i have those, but, y'know) Carbon towers because you can't get the kit FRP version aftermarket. Reinforced A parts from the TT02D, which includes the steering arms. Hop up alloy prop shaft. Pretty much all the suspension plastics are from my TA06 as are the 42mm dogbones and wheel hubs. Buying most of this stuff from rcmart (conversion, tub, A and D parts, towers, prop shaft, spur and alloy motor mounts, a few bits and bobs) has run me less than 80 quid, and all the rest is using up spares, and i will end up with a higher spec chassis than the base Type S kit. If you have some TA/TB/TRF style suspension parts and a few other bits and pieces it's a great way to get a nice runner. 

Little bit of a slow burn now as i am still waiting on the motor, some 3x32 turnbuckles and battery posts (tripped me up today. Its the only B part you need. I bought some alloy ones from hong kong instead). Looking forward to having another touring car. Going to race it in the new Clubman class at the club at some point. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, graemevw said:

Whats the new clubman class again ThunderDragonCy ?

17t and proper car body?

Basically 17.5 touring car, any body shell, but has to be a tub chassis. No carbon. My TA06 would be eligable as is. So would your TT02. They are keeping the 17t brushed iconic style rules in that class too. It's basically touring cars, but without any of the REALLY fast guys!

This was an unusually busy holiday break with things to fix around the house and on the 1:1 cars; today was the last day of vacation and I took the opportunity to dust/clean/update some models and take some group photos.

Trucks:  These are all the completed trucks I own currently.  From left to right, Lunch Box, CR01 Unimog, Wheely King, and Super Clodbuster.  I have a Heavy Dump Truck that's been a work in process for several years now; maybe it'll join the group next year.  Over the years I've sold a few other Lunch Boxes and one other Wheely King.  One minor disappointment is it seems like the Super Clod's chrome wheels are yellowing over time (5 years?).  I keep all my models in the house and out of direct sunlight, so I'm not sure what's happening there.

spacer.png

Buggies:  These are all the completed buggies, SCTs, and truggies I own currently.  From left to right, Associated B4 Factory Team, DB01R, DB01R, HPI Blitz ESE Pro, and TRF801XT.  There's a Turnigy SCT almost done and a TRF801X I want to build; like the Heavy Dump Truck, maybe the SCT and 801X will join the group next year.  In the past I sold off all my DT02 and DF02 buggies.  In addition to cleaning, this was a great opportunity to unlock the center diff on the 801XT and return it to normal; the truggy understeers terribly when it is locked.

spacer.png

I still have some F1/LeMans and touring/drift cars to clean, but it looks like that will have to wait until next weekend.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Basically 17.5 touring car, any body shell, but has to be a tub chassis. No carbon. My TA06 would be eligable as is. So would your TT02. They are keeping the 17t brushed iconic style rules in that class too. It's basically touring cars, but without any of the REALLY fast guys!

Ok great, they run it every week? Sounds like my best bet :)