Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Sweet - cheers chaps!

Additional - the big spacers for the third optional set of fixings are drone standoffs, m3 x 20mm. They aren't expensive. I just drilled out the threads with a 3.1mm drill to give clearance to M3 x 30 cap screws. 

Began work on the fuel drum for the Scav Brat as i have currently dubbed it.

2020-01-09_03-41-37 2020-01-09_04-08-37

• Like 1

So I need to ask the experienced forum members on here - if you buy a set of Tamiya parts, for instance 'D' parts, would the sealed Tamiya packet have 1 tree (where the kits has 2) or bothe trees? I ask this because last night one tree turned up in a Ziploc bag (the seller said the Tamiya packet was damaged) and he claims they only sell one tree per packet. I think he's broken down a kit to sell off the pieces. Anyway, I used the measurements of the one DT02 servo post I now had, put an additional hole in the spare G601 set I had (I never put the 4WS in) and now the Kumamon buggy has steering!

Next step, tires... So no-one in Australia seems to have spare "vintage" style Tamiya tires (front or rear) so I had a set of Traxxas Alias tires I'd glued onto some DE Racing wheels, but I couldn't mount them because of the thickness of the plastic. Out came the dremel, and as a temporary measure, I now have some 2.2 Alias tires ready for my trip to the beach on Monday. I will scour eBay today for a complete set of tires, but they'll take more than a week to get here.

TL:DR; Kumamon is ready for the beach on Monday, but I still have to spend more money.

this was yesterday, replaced a radiator my Subaru Outback. Hoping I can do more of my Audi TT02 build on the weekend.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 9:39 AM, WillyChang said:

how does that look? :) are you wrapping it in fluoro yellow furry flocking? :D

It was one of those ‘pop into your head ideas’ while I should really be concentrating on work moments. 
  Having seen some Lunch Box’s covered in fur, got me thinking on a Tennis ball 🎾 covered hopper or such like, as my son is a Tennis nut. 
   Also if  I’m buying a kit for No1 son instead of myself then  it’s not a problem  😂.
   All a pie in the sky at the moment, and I’ve got 2 kits on the go for now. We’ll see 🤔

5 hours ago, graemevw said:

Phew, second job of the day completed, tax return done!

Time to plan what new tamiyas my tax refund will pay for 😎

My favourite time of year too 😉

4 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

So I need to ask the experienced forum members on here - if you buy a set of Tamiya parts, for instance 'D' parts, would the sealed Tamiya packet have 1 tree (where the kits has 2) or bothe trees? I ask this because last night one tree turned up in a Ziploc bag (the seller said the Tamiya packet was damaged) and he claims they only sell one tree per packet. I think he's broken down a kit to sell off the pieces. Anyway, I used the measurements of the one DT02 servo post I now had, put an additional hole in the spare G601 set I had (I never put the 4WS in) and now the Kumamon buggy has steering!

Next step, tires... So no-one in Australia seems to have spare "vintage" style Tamiya tires (front or rear) so I had a set of Traxxas Alias tires I'd glued onto some DE Racing wheels, but I couldn't mount them because of the thickness of the plastic. Out came the dremel, and as a temporary measure, I now have some 2.2 Alias tires ready for my trip to the beach on Monday. I will scour eBay today for a complete set of tires, but they'll take more than a week to get here.

TL:DR; Kumamon is ready for the beach on Monday, but I still have to spend more money.

My understanding is that the 'D' parts tree would be sold individually, so if a kit uses 2 'D' parts, you'd need to order 2 trees.

As for vintage tyres, what are you after? I have a lot of 2.0 size tyres (mostly copy cat style, but also Tamiya) fronts and rears.

1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

My understanding is that the 'D' parts tree would be sold individually, so if a kit uses 2 'D' parts, you'd need to order 2 trees.

As for vintage tyres, what are you after? I have a lot of 2.0 size tyres (mostly copy cat style, but also Tamiya) fronts and rears.

I bought 53059, the proper tire for that car, but couldn't resist and bought the 54896 front tires from the Super Astute instead of the stock 19805552. The 54896 look slightly bonkers!

Shame I didn't know you had them available - but they were only AUD$24 from Japan.

• Like 2

I packed up a DF01 chassis I'd sold after deciding I needed to slim down on junk ready for posting. Was thinking what I was going to do with the extra £65 and shelf space until I realised we were well beyond E in the car and filled my tank up, £63.47 :lol: Maybe I could buy some body clips? 

Ah well such is life. 

I also dug out my chopped blitzer chassis and did some work on it. Aluminium shocks and fitted a decent motor, got battery layout etc. I'm aiming for some early 90's stadium truck goodness so brushed setup and some decent NiMH cells hopefully. I'm tossing up what wheels to use - neon stadium thunder is the current favourite

Wanting to first clean it up then rebuild the shocks and fit new front springs. I might consider making the rear A arms from aluminium or delrin. The ESC will be replaced with a nosram when it arrives. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Feel like I've embarked on an epic medieval King Arthur type quest today.

The motorbike was long over due for a decent run & I needed a tin of PS paint for the Wild One. So armed with a freshly baked Pretzel made by my daughter and a Thermos of tea the 200'k+ round trip was made to support my nearest hobby shop.  Also got some masking tape to make it even more worth while. :)

wmsoX7nh.jpg

It was the best Pretzel I've had in a long time.        I'm now currently deciding what to do with the money I've saved on postage :lol:

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Chopped up an old card then epoxy resin & some clamps have made a wing repair to this shell. Bit more filler & sanding up next.

49365489923_87ddcd30a6_b.jpg

49365489568_228fd10d2c_b.jpg

It ain’t pretty but paint will help, hopefully!

• Like 6

first time ive brought anything rc related in a long time

ordered some special 3d printed items :P

• Like 3

Finished (apart from battery posts) my new TT02 Type S. 

20200111_210942

Took an hour longer than i hoped because i managed to put the diffs in the wrong way around! Haven't been able to run it because it's tipping down but happy with how it's come out. 

• Like 7

Last weekend I was cleaning and updating my trucks/buggies/SCTs/truggies and posted a few pictures here.  This weekend the theme continues as I cleaned up my completed LeMans and F1 cars.  From left to right, RM01 Mazda 787B, Group C Nissan R91CP, F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo, F104W Lotus 79, and 3Racing FGX EVO2018.  The last domain is touring/drift cars to be done tomorrow.

spacer.png

• Like 14

Went to my LHS and got asked to build this for a customer (I have done a few now). Hopefully I will find the time to do it. These dont appeal to me, but I am not one to turn up my nose at building a new RC! 😁

pJtNUUu.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Did a bit of rough detail on the window armor it's supposed to be rough looking btw, i have a whole backstory...lol I also have some stuff coming for the hood. I need a lot more styrene...
also posted in the build thread :)

20200111_100506

20200111_100446

• Like 4

10 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Last weekend I was cleaning and updating my trucks/buggies/SCTs/truggies and posted a few pictures here.  This weekend the theme continues as I cleaned up my completed LeMans and F1 cars.  From left to right, RM01 Mazda 787B, Group C Nissan R91CP, F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo, F104W Lotus 79, and 3Racing FGX EVO2018.  The last domain is touring/drift cars to be done tomorrow.

spacer.png

I like your approach to what can be considered housework, its definitely the kind I could get used to. ;)

• Like 1

Lots of masking today just to achieve a small amount of Gun Metal sprayed on.

5OKktb4h.jpg

i7frA6vh.jpg

Also having to use Imgur for the time being as I can't seem to access TC Photos ??

• Like 9

A frustrating day of attempted restoration of my original Sand Rover.

The goal was to cut some aluminium plate to make new suspension uprights, because of course the originals are broken. But before that I thought I would do the 10-minute job of putting some EC3 connectors onto the speed controller and motor.

I HATE EC3 connectors now.

A lot of swearing and burnt fingers later I had one-and-a-half done, with one connector mangled. OK, cut them off, lucky I bought two. More swearing. These things take about 200kg force to put together; all the youtube videos had them just going 'click' but mine seemed to need a forge hammer and anvil to put them together. Yes, I made sure they were smooth outside, at least I can solder well.

Right, connectors done, lets fire up the motor with the speed control. OK that battery is flat (hey it's 32 years old) lets use the new one. OK the motor runs! Oh wait no, it's making a horrible screeching noise, that's not good. This is the fancy-pants Marui M480-RS as well. Hmmm. OK, lets try the older stock 540, oh wait I'm out of connectors...

There really is something to be said for crimp connectors. Actually there's more than something; in the 3D printer world 60A connections are not uncommon on the head heaters and bed heater. The consensus there is that a good, correctly done crimp is far better than a solder joint. I bought a proper (expensive!) crimping tool just for this and by golly it does the job. Really solid connection, wire bundles gripped hard and fast with probably 10sqmm of contact for cables the size of RC battery / motor cables. Not to mention proper strain relief too, something that is **** hard to achieve with soldered wires.

Back to Ebay, order some proper Tamiya crimp plugs which is probably what I should have done in the first place.

Suspension uprights? Yeah, nah.

Went and saw 'Cats' with the wife; it turned out far better than the internet and reviews would have you believe; as long as you are a fan of musical theatre and enjoy a bit of modern ballet there's nothing wrong with it. 

Got home. Grumbled at car bits all over desk. Dealt with new invasion of ants in kitchen; lesson learned - never, ever buy or rent an 'owner built' house. No, really? You built it yourself? Yeah, it shows, because it leaks, it's full of holes so the ants get in and the wiring is dodgy as, and nothing is straight or square. Also, why oh why did you plant bamboo in the garden? We spent half of yesterday clearing the latest bamboo incursion out, we're meant to be in a drought and this stuff still grows. We didn't know it was owner-built when we rented it.

Ended up here. Yay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Lots of masking today just to achieve a small amount of Gun Metal sprayed on.

5OKktb4h.jpg

i7frA6vh.jpg

Also having to use Imgur for the time being as I can't seem to access TC Photos 

Looks good!

I can access tcphotos on an android device and iOS. Give Chris a shout?

• Thanks 1

Finished my winter cleaning and took a group shot of my touring/drift cars...  From left to right, front to rear:

TB04 BMW M3, Sakura D3 Subaru WRX, TT01E Mazda RX7, TA05V2 Pagani Zonda, TB03 Ford GT, TB03 Toyota Supra, RM01 Lancia Stratos, TA06 DeTomaso Pantera, TT01E(mini) Datsun 510, TT01R Nissan R34 GTR, TT02 Protoform P47 (speed run car), M05 Protoform Tornado (speed run car), Sakura D4 Mazdaspeed 6.

spacer.png

The cleaning/updating/sorting/organizing has given me a fresh perspective on what to tackle next.  Finding some extra shelf space, cleaning my work area, and figuring out what to do with a pile of projects makes me feel a little more positive about things.

• Like 11

Packed the sold Blitzer Beetle ready to send off.

Collected a grubby, beaten up WRC Corolla to hopefully run. 

• Like 1