Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While we're on the subject of Rock Sockers/CR-01s I dug mine out of the project pile darkness a few weeks ago as my mate is constantly on at me to get it running so we can go out together with his Traxxas. So I finally gave into the peer pressure to get it running and started by taking it completely apart. :P

As anyone who has ever spoken to me or read one of my posts will know, I've never run a single one of my cars (or finish them in most instances ;)) so this was a Rock Socker minus a body (although I have the untouched Rock Socker body and a half done Unimog for it) but over the past couple of years I've collected a bunch of alloy bits for it. Therefore, first job was, quite sensibly, to take it all apart to fit ball bearings and replace all the plastic bits with nice metal ones. 

Now, I'm not a big fan of anodised baby blue, and most parts available for the CR-01 seem to be in that shade, so I needed to resolve that pretty urgently. First, slightly badly executed, job was to remove the aforementioned anodising. As that wasn't as effective as I hoped, plan 2 came into effect which was to paint everything with real metal paints, predominantly my own custom flat aluminium and steel. 

This weekend, in between a couple of other jobs, I finished off the painting and started on reassembling everything whilst working around the fact I'm missing a couple of parts to assist in extending the wheelbase. Hopefully next weekend I should be back upto a rolling chassis stage! Then we just need the body to turn up....Pics will be uploaded then.....

The other jobs were drawing very close to finishing a box art Sand Scorcher for a fellow TC member and working on the last of a batch of 5 vintage polycarb buggy bodies for another TC member.

I'll post pics of those once complete pending approval from their owners :) 

just found this pic from December 2016 when I got it. It never progressed beyond this point (except to collect a good amount of dust....) :P

IMG_1471

For those interested in such things, I realised we have had 2 different dining tables since then!!! :blink:

Edited by jonboy1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I always have been thinking what rc offroader should I buy...

now I know it should be the CR01.

I knew I couldnt talk myself into a Traxxas, just not a fan of it. 

edit: is the rock socker different to this, seems lower on tamico de

I am not sure, mine is a fully hopped up chassis. Weighs loads so may look lower saw this on ebay seems cheaper than most https://ebay.to/31Gd17m

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

While we're on the subject of Rock Sockers/CR-01s I dug mine out of the project pile darkness a few weeks ago as my mate is constantly on at me to get it running so we can go out together with his Traxxas. So I finally gave into the peer pressure to get it running and started by taking it completely apart. :P

As anyone who has ever spoken to me or read one of my posts will know, I've never run a single one of my cars (or finish them in most instances ;)) so this was a Rock Socker minus a body (although I have the untouched Rock Socker body and a half done Unimog for it) but over the past couple of years I've collected a bunch of alloy bits for it. Therefore, first job was, quite sensibly, to take it all apart to fit ball bearings and replace all the plastic bits with nice metal ones. 

Now, I'm not a big fan of anodised baby blue, and most parts available for the CR-01 seem to be in that shade, so I needed to resolve that pretty urgently. First, slightly badly executed, job was to remove the aforementioned anodising. As that wasn't as effective as I hoped, plan 2 came into effect which was to paint everything with real metal paints, predominantly my own custom flat aluminium and steel. 

This weekend, in between a couple of other jobs, I finished off the painting and started on reassembling everything whilst working around the fact I'm missing a couple of parts to assist in extending the wheelbase. Hopefully next weekend I should be back upto a rolling chassis stage! Then we just need the body to turn up....Pics will be uploaded then.....

The other jobs were drawing very close to finishing a box art Sand Scorcher for a fellow TC member and working on the last of a batch of 5 vintage polycarb buggy bodies for another TC member.

I'll post pics of those once complete pending approval from their owners :) 

just found this pic from December 2016 when I got it. It never progressed beyond this point (except to collect a good amount of dust....) :P

IMG_1471

For those interested in such things, I realised we have had 2 different dining tables since then!!! :blink:

Would you sell the Rock Socker body? 

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Rock-Socker-CR-01-Bausatz-58592

I am asking because of this.

seems way way cheaper then the 389€ toyota cr01

I agree with @novicelad, that's a good deal. I picked up my CR-01  FJCruiser from Tamico for €250 plus shipping and my Rock Socker in the UK for £200 GBP.

EDIT: on a non-Tamiya forum the comments would be 'for the money you you can better a crawler/trail rig'!!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I agree with @novicelad, that's a good deal. I picked up my CR-01  FJCruiser from Tamico for €250 plus shipping and my Rock Socker in the UK for £200 GBP.

EDIT: on a non-Tamiya forum the comments would be 'for the money you you can better a crawler/trail rig'!!!!

Rock Socker is £259 at modelsport

Okay, not today, but yesterday...

Cleaned up some of the nubs on my Heavy Dump Truck body, laid out a bunch of body shells and paints from storage, ordered some more paints, and bought a few colors of vinyl from the local craft store...  Getting those bodies queued up for some work when the temperatures start to come back up again...  Thinking about building a few more chassis soon while the weather is cooler.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

...and they'd be correct, but that's not the point! 

I had a fantastic run with the Konghead and Dump Truck on Sunday evening around my little off-road course - I really enjoy those cars! Seeing a Konghead and Dump Truck drifting and powersliding around a dirt track makes me smile :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

could not see anything as a great stupid thing popped up and covered half the screen asking me to accept cookies so closed the page

Ah rubbish it's a vid of my aws

Put the yeah racing speed tuned spur gear and larger pinion in my comical hornet. Good pep up in speed. Got a photo or my lights too! Mire details and waffle on the build thread. 

20200211_163603 20200211_182252

• Like 8

Put too much putty in my gear diff. It will be interesting to strip it after a while and see what has happened to the stuff.

Ordered some more functional bling for the M05-RA.

• Like 2

Finished the chassis rebuild of my Dirt Thrasher which was not so difficult once the axles were rebuild. Next is painting the bodyshell.

IMG_20200211_213050_compress77.thumb.jpg.a5d620436204ef720db884a7047ed72f.jpg

Edited by Aerobert
Compressed picture
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

that's a pretty funky steering setup, must be fun to drive!

I only did it to try it I have changed it back to just 4WS as that would be impossible to get used to! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

I just realised I haven't been on ebay since Friday!!!! :blink:

You haven't missed much.......the usual over priced rubbish:rolleyes: 

So I have been playing with my Flysky i6 to see what I can do with it.

This is a modified one basically flipped the levers over so channel 2 is on the left so get a traditional stick feel 

Anyway what I have done is mixed channel 1 and 3 so that I can do all wheel steering, you can also do this by turning the throttle control up and turning off the mixing.

I don't thing it would be very practical in the real world though but may be fun to show off! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I just realised I haven't been on ebay since Friday!!!! :blink:

I haven't been on for RC related stuff since before Christmas.

Do I get a prize? :D

• Like 1

Just now, Peter_B said:

I haven't been on for RC related stuff since before Christmas.

Do I get a prize? :D

No - Ostracised......

Heathen!

;)