Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fitted the new bits the the CR01 much better than the 1060 Esc and silver can

yiI6JxA.jpg

XRHbC5n.jpg

eC2D1hJ.jpg

u58Zg9k.jpg

• Like 4

Today I ran the Outlaw Rampage for it's maiden voyage. It was awesome, and exceeded my expectations. The handling is very realistic. Seeing the body roll around isn't what a racer might want, but it was so cool to see from a scale perspective. If anyone is thinking about getting one, I highly recommend it!

• Like 2

Getting to grips with the new hobby space today. Not completely finished as I’m going to work it for a while to see how I’m going to arrange the bits and pieces underneath. The old black shelving unit and bookcase will also get replaced with matching strip beech shelving the same as the worktop one day. 

http://3C94E89A-04B0-4F45-9E5E-305AD6D7A111.md.

As I was enjoying the acres of space to move in compared to my previous tiny table, the Wild One now has its hard pinion installed and swiftly moved on to swapping out the TBLE02 to a Lipo compatible 1060 ESC in the SRB. 
One thing with the new ESC is the On/Off switch wire is very short. So I’ve cut the the switch off a TEU 104 (that I will never use in a million years) and soldered it on the new ESC to be able to mount the switch back in the top of the clear electric box. As the ESC is self calibrating half an hour and was all done.
Trouble is now I’ve done the jobs I was going to do if we are told to stay at home!!
Time to start looking for another kit 😁. Especially if we are eligible for the $$$$ hand out the Government are talking about to stimulate the economy. But not getting my hopes up for that.

E19335B1-1B79-4E1E-AABD-EAE9019E958E.md.

8BD96B4B-E0B1-49A1-A8E2-7398BD58759C.md.

4CA1BF76-328A-4B8E-AF99-96AE2F3B2E92.md.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs @Jonathon Gillham, but I found dapping the tip of the soldering iron in some flux wiping with wire wool keeping the tip clean definitely helps me. As soon as the tip is dirty is when I have trouble soldering 😉  

EFB212B4-A53D-4CEF-A171-067D71B536F7.md.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, novicelad said:

Fitted the new bits the the CR01 much better than the 1060 Esc and silver can

yiI6JxA.jpg

XRHbC5n.jpg

eC2D1hJ.jpg

u58Zg9k.jpg

So you happy with the RC4wd 45T motor?, it’s what I’ve got in mine

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Getting to grips with the new hobby space today. Not completely finished as I’m going to work it for a while to see how I’m going to arrange the bits and pieces underneath. The old black shelving unit and bookcase will also get replaced with matching strip beech shelving the same as the worktop one day. 

http://3C94E89A-04B0-4F45-9E5E-305AD6D7A111.md.

As I was enjoying the acres of space to move in compared to my previous tiny table, the Wild One now has its hard pinion installed and swiftly moved on to swapping out the TBLE02 to a Lipo compatible 1060 ESC in the SRB. 
One thing with the new ESC is the On/Off switch wire is very short. So I’ve cut the the switch off a TEU 104 (that I will never use in a million years) and soldered it on the new ESC to be able to mount the switch back in the top of the clear electric box. As the ESC is self calibrating half an hour and was all done.
Trouble is now I’ve done the jobs I was going to do if we are told to stay at home!!
Time to start looking for another kit 😁. Especially if we are eligible for the $$$$ hand out the Government are talking about to stimulate the economy. But not getting my hopes up for that.

E19335B1-1B79-4E1E-AABD-EAE9019E958E.md.

8BD96B4B-E0B1-49A1-A8E2-7398BD58759C.md.

4CA1BF76-328A-4B8E-AF99-96AE2F3B2E92.md.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs @Jonathon Gillham, but I found dapping the tip of the soldering iron in some flux wiping with wire wool keeping the tip clean definitely helps me. As soon as the tip is dirty is when I have trouble soldering 😉  

EFB212B4-A53D-4CEF-A171-067D71B536F7.md.

The hobby room is looking great. I have visions of one day getting a space like that.

Yeah I'm thinking i should buy some flux rather than rely on the solder with flux in it. I have a sponge and the wire wool I use, but no flux. One thing that seems to be an issue is that modern ESC and motors have cooling which sucks heat out of the iron. Not sure if thats whats happening, or my cheao iron is packing up, or user error...

Checked out the cars for the race day tomorrow. Found an esc that had come unstuck and a bent turnbuckle. No idea how I missed either of those things previously. Luckily the turnbuckle was on the B6 and I have a whole spare car so that was an easy fix. Have also ordered spares too so I can get the other car going. Added some AE spurs and slipper pads for my Super Astute, you know, for when we are self-isolating...

• Thanks 1

Another soldering tip, use a fine tip. My first iron had quite a large flat side a bit like a small chisel and always had difficulty making neat connections. Switched to a fine point tip and all my troubles went away.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cynan said:

Another soldering tip, use a fine tip. My first iron had quite a large flat side a bit like a small chisel and always had difficulty making neat connections. Switched to a fine point tip and all my troubles went away.

Funny story about the fine tips I had...somehow I left the iron on overnight, not once but twice. Ruined the fine tips...really need to order more. Should order them when I order the flux!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

So you happy with the RC4wd 45T motor?, it’s what I’ve got in 

When I get a chance to test will let you know 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 4:29 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

Strictly not today, but I couldn't post a picture from Flickr using my mobile on this forum, the two just don't mix!

49636414663_f304898ff3_b.jpg

GF-01 built from bits! Just missing the long body post to allow me to fix the bodyshell. I'm sure I had 4, but one's gone amiss! I've put up a Wanted thread so hopefully someone comes through with a spare.

Posted a couple long body posts to Chris this morning then added hundreds of pounds of rc parts to my ebay watch list 🤣 also done a very basic paint job on my daughters mad bull shell using a can of black plasti dip I had knocking around (forgot to take a pic though) 

Don't judge me, I only had black plasti dip & masking tape to play with 🤣

IMG_20200314_202004.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The hobby room is looking great. I have visions of one day getting a space like that.

Yeah I'm thinking i should buy some flux rather than rely on the solder with flux in it. I have a sponge and the wire wool I use, but no flux. One thing that seems to be an issue is that modern ESC and motors have cooling which sucks heat out of the iron. Not sure if thats whats happening, or my cheao iron is packing up, or user error...

A designated space  does make a world of difference. The table I was using has moved 4 times around the house. Not anymore this ones fixed to the wall 😁

I take it the block of land and house near the sea didn’t come off?? 😕

I still use Solder with the flux in it, the tub is just to dab the iron in then wipe with the wire wool in between solder’s to keep it clean. I picked that up off a YouTube clip somewhere. 

• Like 2

I have decided to disassemble clean and rebuild my old TA04 touring car (used to race it around 2004/2005].  Into the bucket for initial wash; I will clean greasy areas with spray and cloth later (eg around driveshaft areas). 

Before starting

9CCC6AA6-3FCA-484C-8842-11F87DA579DF.jpeg

64F3E2AE-4AC3-4F82-95AA-EF53D11FA8E0.jpeg

Clean parts

79FFB006-054E-4179-AC0C-E5E434947BA0.jpeg

• Like 1

After collecting a load of bits it was finally time to put my Hotshot 2 back together!

Now when I took it apart for cleaning I inspected every part and ordered replacements for what wasn’t stock or that appeared broken... it seems I missed a few  :wacko:

First up a crack in the rear gearbox. Now luckily I’d got a replacement part as I knew about a crack in the front gearbox so I’d already ordered the required parts tree... those C springs sure are ******s to get off! And despite seeing other people had said to do it in a bag so they can’t fling off somewhere I ended up spending ages looking round the room for them... twice! :lol: And then.. urge... new gear box with C springs don’t work... doh... took it apart again and replaced them with E clips. Much better.

Now I notice a crack in the shock tower. ******. Can’t get those anymore. Hmm time to invest in a 3D printer?! Make one out of carbon fibre? Settled for trying to fix it with some epoxy and that’s drying as I type so I’ll see how that works tomorrow morning.

Next I find a crack in the front shock mount, part D2. Brilliant another D part. Right let’s try some more epoxy... but! It looks like the Boomerang shares this part on its B part tree! B) So that’s now on order. Anyone with a Boomerang who would like the rest of the tree is welcome to it. 

Oh and the newer propeller shaft slides about. It does not look like it’ll come lose but it’s annoying. I’ve read popping an O ring in one of the cups sorts that out.. I just don’t have any spare O rings doh.

DF09994D-865F-48EB-9600-3F9147AED157.jpeg

• Like 1

My 11 Yr old son has driven his Sand Viper about 4 times in the last 2 years..... Meh !

Last night I showed him some photo's of a Clod Buster here on TC and he went Coco Bananas.  Wow...... the power of Clod.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

A designated space  does make a world of difference. The table I was using has moved 4 times around the house. Not anymore this ones fixed to the wall 😁

I take it the block of land and house near the sea didn’t come off?? 😕

I still use Solder with the flux in it, the tub is just to dab the iron in then wipe with the wire wool in between solder’s to keep it clean. I picked that up off a YouTube clip somewhere. 

Yep we missed out on it, but on the bright side our house is now ready for sale and my wife is still looking for a job up that way. As soon as she finds the job then we'll put our house on the market. Thats the plan this week anyway.

• Like 3

Said goodbye to the MF01X chassis today.  I'm trying to get down to owning just a few cars.  The MF01X is great but having the XV01 did make it a bit redundant.  I'm trying to decide if the CR01 is going to make the cut or if it'll be sold as well.  I like it a lot but if I get a modern crawler it might have to go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Took the FJ40 out for another adventure...I think  might soften the shock oil though

• Like 5

9 hours ago, novicelad said:

When I get a chance to test will let you know 

Like my 35T but will be interested in your thoughts 

5 minutes ago, Blista said:

Said goodbye to the MF01X chassis today.  I'm trying to get down to owning just a few cars.  The MF01X is great but having the XV01 did make it a bit redundant.  I'm trying to decide if the CR01 is going to make the cut or if it'll be sold as well.  I like it a lot but if I get a modern crawler it might have to go.

I can’t wait  to get my XV01 and absolutely love my CR01

it actually goes place better than I thought it would

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KalEl63 said:

I can’t wait  to get my XV01 and absolutely love my CR01

it actually goes place better than I thought it would

The XV01 is a blast.  As much as I liked seeing the little MF01X bopping around, it can't hold a candle to the XV01 for performance.

The CR01 might be a victim of similar circumstances.  It has personality, but after seeing what modern crawlers can do, I think it won't get used.  One thing holding me back is that I like the Tamiya bodies so much more than other brands.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Blista said:

The XV01 is a blast.  As much as I liked seeing the little MF01X bopping around, it can't hold a candle to the XV01 for performance.

The CR01 might be a victim of similar circumstances.  It has personality, but after seeing what modern crawlers can do, I think it won't get used.  One thing holding me back is that I like the Tamiya bodies so much more than other brands.

Yeah agreed more modern crawlers are better but I just love the CR01 for it over complicated design and one of the fun cars to build and I love driving it.

but I do get what you are saying I’m just a Tamiya fanboy and the CR01 was good enough for me especially after having a CC01 which was ok fun.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KalEl63 said:

Yeah agreed more modern crawlers are better but I just love the CR01 for it over complicated design and one of the fun cars to build and I love driving it.

but I do get what you are saying I’m just a Tamiya fanboy and the CR01 was good enough for me especially after having a CC01 which was ok fun.

My CC01 didn't get much use before I sold it off but the CR01 I really like.  If I hadn't been watching youtube videos of other brands doing things a CR01 can never do I'd probably still be happy with it.  Lesson learned here is to stay in the Tamiya bubble I think.

I'm somewhat tempted by the new CC02 but by the time I replace even the basics like tyres and bearings I'm most of the way to a proper crawler kit.  It's hard to be a Tamiya fan when the competition is so good.  Never thought I'd even look at a Traxxas but the TRX4 Sport crawler has almost won me over for my next purchase.

• Like 2