Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll tell you what @Ferruz, you certainly give that Kyosho Big Boss some good exercise! Its great to see one out being enjoyed. I wish I could enjoy mine like that.

Bonus Tamiya time today!! El Kid asked if we could build some more monster truck!

So, steering on this morning and the old friction dampers and bumpers in place this afternoon. Then he got the WW2 back out for a run round the garden until the pack ran out.

FAB2F3E4-A06E-477B-8947-C9CBE26E55B3.jpg

It also gave me the opportunity to organise my spares a bit (consolidating in to one place) and find the servos to go in this and his Dual Hunter.

The manual is for a Double Blaze. Can’t remember how I ended up with it but great to see the instructions for 4WS!

• Like 3

@Saito2 Thanks bud. The Big Boss is a lot of fun, indeed.

I know it is known for being a bit fragile and for not exactly being up to Kyosho's usual quality standards but, as much as I can vouch for the latter, I never had big reliability problems -and I certainly don't go easy on it. I jump and bash it all the time. I've also tweaked it up: for every major crash or break, I try to come up with solitions to make it better and stronger than before. By now it's almost bulletproof, if used with its original Le Mans motor. Btw I had a 13T motor from HPI on for some time, it was flying but the battery would only last about 5 mins like in the good ol'days :) The Le Mans is just what I need, it packs enough of a punch for the way I drive it and the pack lasts for good 20-30 mins.

May I ask why you don't ever run yours? And would you post a pic, just for fun? The Big Boss has a special place in my heart and it does since I was 8, I can never see too much of it :)

20200404-221238.gif

• Like 4

20190119_132510

I did a teardown thread about the Big Boss awhile back. I also have its bigger brother the USA-1. I'm one of those hobbyist that constantly worries about parts availability. There's been times, in the past, that some of my runners have been left to "rot" because of lack of parts. The tires aren't easy to come by, nor the plastic detail parts for the body. They look positively awesome and intimidating. I was probably initially too hard on it when reviewing it. The 100% plastic outdrives riding on bushings from the factory blew my mind. In the end, a lot of the plastic stuff was actually quite durable.

• Like 5

Ordered a couple round case lipos to so I can run a couple Tamiya. 

Got tired of sitting inside and took my brushless rustler out for a pack in the yard and road in front of the house.  A rear wheel nut came loose and stripped a wheel hex.  I have rpm wide arms on the front, so swapped a front to rear, crisis averted.  Drained a 2a 6500.

Finished a King Yellow 6x6 build.  This is basically a Dynahead chassis with portal axles, 4-wheel steering, King Yellow body/wheels/tires, and the 3D-printed LED bezels/light pipes I posted a page back.  There are functional LEDs in all positions, including alternating yellow and red roof LEDs just like a real school bus.

Pictures and film clips below:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Broke out the old QD for the kids to muck about with, it was playing up last time I got it out 2 years ago, went fine today!

rNy2IL2.jpg

• Like 9

Yesterday I did a simple Gundam, as a warm up before commencing my MG grade. When my daughter and I went to Gundam Base Odaiba last year, we left with 3 Gundams (and some t-shirts, etc). She bought a SD, I bought a MG but the oddest one we got was free with our t-shirts - a Uniqlo/Bandam exclusive Gundam. It wasn't a difficult build, and I enjoyed putting it with its much more complex peers! I put on the Singapore F1 race from 2017 while making it (I really miss F1). If anyone's into Gundam, this is the one I bought - https://www.gundam-base.net/products/details.php?detail=2854

1678979851_CameraUploads2.thumb.jpg.db2065be841b56391f00937b9eef0dab.jpg

Today it's dry for the first time since Thursday, so I set up some ramps in my driveway, aimed at my neighbour's nature strip, and launched the 1/16 4x4 Traxxas Grave Digger for about 20 minutes.

That felt good, so I'm charging up more batteries to do it again.

@speedy_w_beans I love the G601 chassis, where did you get the portals? IIRC they are only in the Dynahead kit, not the Konghead or King Yellow (or even the new Volvo A60H). What is your intended style of driving with the King Yellow? Trail driving? Bashing? Jumping? 

Edited by lsear2905
added a hyperlink
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, dannymulder said:

with this nice weather, I painted 2 bodies,  the pink candy is for my Losi rock rey, and the purple candy is the porsche body for my tamiya Ta-03rs.

I love how they turn out, the purple is real nice its like a dark bleu with a purple glow over it, it is difficult to see in a picture.

I used absima paintz rattle cans for it,  purple ice, and magenta ice and back it up with silver metallic.

49738767702_59b167d6ce_c.jpg

49738439896_f9d470bbc5_c.jpg

49738767597_79db16b738_c.jpg

The choice of colours you've used are superb I'm loving the rock-Rey colour (you know the unwritten rule?.....we need to see the finished buggy/truck) the rock rey is an absolute beast and on 3s its insane!

20190209_130846.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, jonboy1 said:

Ok, these should turn up this week, so if it fits ok I'll model up a 225 version for you :)

They arrived!

IMG_1411 IMG_1412

and I've now created a 225mm version just for @Badcrumble here: http://shpws.me/RQSG:) 

Just waiting on the ball diff to arrive!!

• Like 5

On 4/5/2020 at 4:57 AM, Re-Bugged said:

WW driver finished & in his new home 😁

920D09D8-F403-439F-9D3A-8D8186F50492.jpg

72B6398C-1C62-40E5-A240-83C47E0EFC1D.jpg

82918F79-648F-4A57-AC54-957A8C9F6FF5.jpg

Very nice ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In further news, I've been continuing the tinkering with the now legendary Scorcher Rover. 

The body has had more modifications and tweaks and is now just about ready for primer and paint. The horrible drips etc are the remains of guide coats I've used to make sure it's all perfectly smooth before painting proper:

IMG_1416

The back is sat a bit high in this as the radio box isn't pulled down with the rubber rivnuts:

IMG_1415

The back "seat" area has been filled and smoothed after some significant changes to the roll bar:

IMG_1417

....as I had originally planned to have the roll bar double up as the suspension mounts for the rear - a-la SRB. However, there was no tidy way to have it come up through the body 

so I decided to scrap that idea and just have one fix to the body as it does on the Rover. This meant however, that I needed to work out how to mount the rear shocks!....

.....just cut off the roll bar!

IMG_1413 IMG_1414

I've made a metal bar loop to plug into the shock mounts and tie both sides together (I just couldn't be bothered to undo everything again to fit it) and I reckon I can stick a body magnet on it too to hold down the back of the body.

The radio box now has a nice lid which I made from plasticard with some locating tabs inside to stop it sliding around. I'm now thinking I'll change the steering to a direct servo mount instead of having it in the box, so I'll trim the front steering arm mount off.

Very slowly it's getting there.....

• Like 5

Thanks @jonboy1, they look fab, got them in by basket - just deliberating on where to have them delivered. 

• Thanks 1

.....which brings me to my other long standing (in a plastic crate) project - the CR-01!!

When you last joined us, it had just had its chassis finished and was waiting for a new body to join it. Well friends - that body has arrived:

IMG_1388

Unfortunately - despite all the math, the wheelbase didn't match up quite right:

IMG_1390

...and there was no way those tyres were going to fit in those arches under full articulation.

soooooo, I took the rear end apart and added a couple more millimetres to the control arms and then got Mr. Dremmel intimately acquainted with those arches....

IMG_1408

...and it now looks a lot more viable. I also deleted the rear mount for a spare wheel (I'm telling myself a 2.2" wheel on the back would look silly, but in actual fact, I'm just too cheap to buy another wheel and tyre! ;) ) oh, and I tidied up a couple of faults on the rear bumper too - well, I've started to.

IMG_1410

oh, and if you happen to be @acprc and are wondering about the progress of your car bodies - I'm not talking to you! :mellow: You have no idea how much my hand hurts after cutting out those stupid, stupid stickers!!!

"You know what you did!" :P

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Thanks @jonboy1, they look fab, got them in by basket - just deliberating on where to have them delivered. 

more than welcome - let me know how you get on with them - if there are any issues I'll replace them for you. :) 

3 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

oh, and if you happen to be @acprc and are wondering about the progress of your car bodies - I'm not talking to you! :mellow: You have no idea how much my hand hurts after cutting out those stupid, stupid stickers!!!

"You know what you did!" :P

LOL, 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

more than welcome - let me know how you get on with them - if there are any issues I'll replace them for you. :) 

Thank you, I'm sure they will be fine. I won't fin out for a while - delivery due at the end of the month!!

Completed and installled the bull bar on my Tundra

IMG-20200406-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200406-WA0005.jpg

• Like 5

Emailed Tamico to get an update on my package. It's now been 10+ business days with no tracking updates. I've ordered items from other countries days after I placed the Tamico order and I've already received them :angry:

• Sad 1

Finally got my thunder dragon running! 15/20 years after being given it broken. 

IMG_20200406_172048.jpg

• Like 6

I got annoyed with batteries not fitting in my Mock Force, so I designed these

oU7mKoe.jpg

They are just a smidge longer than the stock ones but that extra 5mm makes a lot of difference. 

uDqMsJB.jpg

• Like 3

Got this shell out then remembered how much the fact it came in 3 pieces infuriated me, placed it on top of my FF02 and then gave up 😂

IMG_20200406_214105.jpg

• Haha 1

Stripped and started cleaning my, new to me, vintage Monster Beetle.

Just waiting on a few parts now before the rebuild starts.

• Like 2