Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I finally got round to looking at my Boomerang after having not touched it since last year's Iconic Revival in July.

That event was very wet and I was very ill equipped for the conditions. Still I had a go anyway!

The Boomer didn't fare too well in the wet. It lost reverse, the steering became ropey and one of the large balls pulled out of the front upright.

The front upright was an obvious problem and the steering I thought was probably sand in the workings. But the loss of reverse had me worried that I'd killed an ESC or the motor.

First job was to look at the reverse. I found that somehow the ESC had been set to forward/brake instead of forward/brake/reverse. I have no idea how that happened - it was definitely set for reverse when I went up on the rostrum! Either some wet got in and caused a gremlin or somehow, maybe during a collision, the programming button on the ESC (Hobbywing 10BL120) got triggered and it reprogrammed itself. However it happened, once I set it up properly it seems to be fine.

With that sorted I pulled the front gearbox off so that I could get to the steering. While it was off I swapped out the steering uprights for some alloy ones in the hope that the ball joints won't pull out again.

Taking the steering mechanism apart, it wasn't as full of sand as I suspected. But then it's had plenty of time to dry out and fall off!

I gave everything a clean and regrease anyway. I also noticed that something didn't look quite right with the servo saver. Turns out I'd managed to put the wrong size screw in when I built it. I'd used a 2.6mm screw instead of a 3mm! That can't have helped the steering problems.

Putting it all back together I took it for a test run in the back garden. At slow speeds I noticed some cogging which shouldn't be there with a sensored motor. Swapped the sensor lead over and all was good.

So that's last year's Revival runner ready to go again. Trouble is this year, if the Revival happens, I'm not entered into the Boomerang class.

I also got some paint onto a Super Hotshot body for my lad and used some liquid chrome pens on the cockpit sides of my Hornet shell.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Spent some more time on the Dual Hunter re-build. Got the servo mounted. Took forever to find one missing part - the splines mount that attaches to the servo - had to go box diving in the garage for a spare and found one eventually.

Realised that one of the gearbox supports is broken. You can bet that it is the RHS, same as the cracked gearbox on the other Dual Hunter so I won’t be able to use both halves of my replacement. Some MEK may be deployed instead.

Located the Tamiya ESC, previous owner had cut the yellow motor wires REALLY short for some reason. I’ve no soldering iron yet so it will be swapped out for a Hobbywing 860.

A list of soldering jobs is growing so an iron will be purchased at some point. 

• Like 2

After doing some gardening and having a bit of a nap in the sun, I finally pulled my finger out and updated my showroom today, something I've been meaning to do for months.  I unfortunately downsized and sold several models a few years back but it's good to finally have my current models in the showroom.  Tried to charge up my really old batteries as well with little success so I need to go shopping for some new ones.  I also need to start building as I've got a few NIB.  

Crashboxdummy

• Like 3

Took the Wraith out for a 5km walk in the woods. Took 4 packs but it did it in one. That means tomorrow I can take the TRX as well. Nothing Tamiya I have would make it over the rough stuff.xjO1CHT.jpg

• Like 6

Masked and sprayed the inside of our LB shell which has been on the to do list for at least 5 years 🙈

Slightly different shade to the outside, but super delighted to eventually have got it done and my wife helped which was delightful.

Will do the detailing tomorrow which will be a 1st for me which I am looking forward to as well 😊

Just gotta sort out the steering and front shocks and jobs a good ‘en 💥

• Like 3

Nipped back out to the garage, got some plastruct on the gearbox casing. Wow, this is good stuff! Tidied everything away, hopefully get some more building done over the next few days.

• Like 2

decided to have a bit of a tidy up in the garage and then that progressed into a tidy up of a couple of jobs I'm doing.

First was the Scorcher Rover. The tyres are vintage items that I restored ages ago for another project (which is still in its crate....) so they got donated to this. They needed a clean up as did the wheel parts, so they all got a good scrub and clean. Then I needed to finish off the shocks - they're re-re Sand Scorcher items that were off my Sand Scorcher which has coilovers on, painted yellow, clear coated and then applied some little Bilstein decals. Worked out a placement for the steering servo and then ordered some steering rods to suit. I'm really starting to see the end in sight on this, and also really starting to like how it's looking!

IMG_1419

Next up was the CR-01 - I'd got it in primer a couple of days ago and the bottom half of the body painted, so today I got it masked up for the top half, gave it a few coats and then started on the detailing.

Plenty more to go but it's starting to get there!

One question I'd like some opinions on - the grill and the door handles. At the moment they are both body colour, I think the door handles should be black, but I can't decide what to do with the grill?

IMG_1420

IMG_1422

• Like 7

@jonboy1 Very cool projects. The Cr-01 is what i would hope tamiya would do simmilar with the CC-02 one day... Where did you get the toyota body? 

I personally havent been doing much with rc lately, just finding the time and energy to tinker around with some stuff as I see fit. I did however make up a list of the cars I have at the moment and it turns out i have 17 cars in the collection! this is after a major clear out as well! boy they sure do seem to come out of no where at times dont they haha... :blink: 

Its taking all of my will power and effort to not bring anything else into the house... I am always on the lookout for projects but they have to be very cheap indeed for me to say yes haha. Oh and I also want one of those clod black editions soo badly but I still have a super clod buster chrome edition NIB in the closet. ^_^ I suppose I could find room for a clod thats built as a light duty runner/ display as some point lol! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got around to tuning the suspension on my Hotshot-based runner, the Super Boomerhotshoterang. For awhile now its been overly damped and over sprung. Using my Optima as a benchmark, I started making adjustments. Saddled with the solid metal piston CVA 2 shocks (for proper and complete travel in the front end vs the more limited stock Super Shot arrangement) meant some hole drilling, filing and trial-and-error. That, plus some spring tuning and now my buggy stays glued to the ground. Now, if only I could get it to steer like an Optima too...hmmmm.  

• Like 2

Got the newest addition all built up, well the chassis/elecs anyway.

Will start on the body when I am next off work.

Seriously eyeing up the Sand Scorcher next.

Also did a little mock up of my newly built group B Quattro on the back of my Power Wagon on the new trailer.

J0PBR47.jpg

K4X7mhc.jpg

E5JlzvR.jpg

• Like 10

Got all the detail stickers on the 2cv squared away. Will start painting the lights and push bumper as well as the roof attachements tomorrow. But in the meantime I messed with the neo fighter as I am still waiting for servos and such. 

B4BA33BF-C5F3-42F8-BF06-8FA3D0DCEF27.jpeg

• Like 8

Now I’ll start the paint and other leftover things on the TOO FORCE while I’m waiting on the mailman

72DD3916-3AC3-4C6B-97F6-2AFCE241038E.jpeg

524D8675-67B2-402E-A41C-DCD45A506E13.jpeg

• Like 4

Gave the garage a sweep out so I put the concrete to good use with a little drifting.  I have a hard chassis that I might install tomorrow. Don't think it'll make a difference, but since I've got it I may as well use it.

CXPYm0o.jpg

• Like 13

I've been working on my old HPI Baja that I converted to brushless last year. After puffing some very expensive lipos after about 10 runs, I decided to switch it back to gas. Found that I had a Lauterbacher 4 shoe clutch that I must have bought 10 years ago and never installed. With all the open parking lots and parks, I'm hoping to get it tuned up once it's all back together and take it for some runs. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I've been working on my old HPI Baja that I converted to brushless last year. After puffing some very expensive lipos after about 10 runs, I decided to switch it back to gas. Found that I had a Lauterbacher 4 shoe clutch that I must have bought 10 years ago and never installed. With all the open parking lots and parks, I'm hoping to get it tuned up once it's all back together and take it for some runs. 

I never could understand why you would a 1/5 model convert from gas to brushless. Gas models are one of the best models to run. I find it even more interesting the electro models.

of course I can understand they are loud, that could be a reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I never could understand why you would a 1/5 model convert from gas to brushless. Gas models are one of the best models to run. I find it even more interesting the electro models.

of course I can understand they are loud, that could be a reason.

Ha! I’m asked myself that after the lipos puffed. 

• Like 1

Cleaning the attic (yeah I know stereotypical) and found this in an old box full of Disney vhs tapes forgot I bought it as an indoor trainer for my align trex helicopter I bought years ago (sold it because I got fed up of when I ditched the align helicopter it need a complete 100% rebuild!......very angrily frustrating) the lipo batteries look a bit dodgy that's why I'm charging them in the charging bag! All works fine though!

20200411_093936.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blista said:

Gave the garage a sweep out so I put the concrete to good use with a little drifting.  I have a hard chassis that I might install tomorrow. Don't think it'll make a difference, but since I've got it I may as well use it.

CXPYm0o.jpg

I thought that was an actual real car parked up on a path (side walk to all those guys not in the uk) very cool looking!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

Got all the detail stickers on the 2cv squared away. Will start painting the lights and push bumper as well as the roof attachements tomorrow. But in the meantime I messed with the neo fighter as I am still waiting for servos and such. 

B4BA33BF-C5F3-42F8-BF06-8FA3D0DCEF27.jpeg

Very pretty! I think the green metallic finish suits this model very well indeed.

• Like 2

Sprayed the black parts of my porsche 934 rear wing. Must be my most successful attempt at masking ever. Not a single bleed or spec of spray where it wasnt supppsed to be. The tamiya masking tape really is good stuff (helped by the moulded in grooves just wide enough to get a scalpel blade in)

Resized_20200411_130058_957.jpeg

• Like 8

I bought and built this back in 2002 . Since then it’s just sat waiting for the body to be painted. 
I  got this body painted buy @jonboy1 this winter As well as a few other bodies and now just fitted to the car. 
I got to say @jonboy1 did a great job. 
Now to fit more painted bodies to cars.

07F4048A-01C0-41CD-ACF6-B06BAEB32E98.jpeg

6029EFCA-F13F-4631-95BE-812B04B2A8A0.jpeg

Edited by Richardrpm
Credit
  • Like 10

29 minutes ago, Richardrpm said:

I bought and built this back in 2002 . Since then it’s just sat waiting for the body to be painted. 
I  got this body painted buy jonboy1 this winter As well as a few other bodies and now just fitted to the car. 
I got to say jonboy1 did a great job. 
Now to fit more painted bodies to cars.

07F4048A-01C0-41CD-ACF6-B06BAEB32E98.jpeg

6029EFCA-F13F-4631-95BE-812B04B2A8A0.jpeg

Runner or shelfer?

20 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

decided to have a bit of a tidy up in the garage and then that progressed into a tidy up of a couple of jobs I'm doing.

First was the Scorcher Rover. The tyres are vintage items that I restored ages ago for another project (which is still in its crate....) so they got donated to this. They needed a clean up as did the wheel parts, so they all got a good scrub and clean. Then I needed to finish off the shocks - they're re-re Sand Scorcher items that were off my Sand Scorcher which has coilovers on, painted yellow, clear coated and then applied some little Bilstein decals. Worked out a placement for the steering servo and then ordered some steering rods to suit. I'm really starting to see the end in sight on this, and also really starting to like how it's looking!

IMG_1419

Next up was the CR-01 - I'd got it in primer a couple of days ago and the bottom half of the body painted, so today I got it masked up for the top half, gave it a few coats and then started on the detailing.

Plenty more to go but it's starting to get there!

One question I'd like some opinions on - the grill and the door handles. At the moment they are both body colour, I think the door handles should be black, but I can't decide what to do with the grill?

IMG_1420

IMG_1422

How about silver or black for the grill? 

• Like 2

A very modest Tamiya day for me today- masked up my daughters Lunchbox so I could try my hand at some detailing.

Window rubbers, lights that sort of thing, even got to use my Tamiya masking tape for the 1st time which I must have bought 5 years ago 😳.

Hopefully it won’t need a 2nd coat and I can break out the silver paint tomorrow 👍

• Like 1