Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

These feel like unprecedented Tamiya times for me - got even more done. Some practice damper building. I have a set of 54000 for my M05-RA. The practice was some 50746 for my M04 BMW 2002.

C50F4175-0057-49F6-BDCD-A355085BDEA2.jpg

El Kid then fitted them to the M04. I even managed a few minutes to review the rear stealth mount on the car. Going to give it one more go. If I can’t sort out a decent mount then I’m going to revert to body posts. The HPI shell Is nice but not immaculate so I won’t feel too guilty.

• Like 1

Finished off my Coronapocalypse TA-02 rally build:

2020-04-11_04-47-07

More photos and details in the build thread. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, jameswrx said:

Those tyres look cool, remind me of the 959 almost.

Thanks! It was built as a practical RC rally car, with more arch clearance and ground clearance than standard. This gives it a bit of a taller rally raid appearance, along the lines of the 959.

My brother kindly sorted me a Top Force with spare Evolution bits he had collected. So I could have a shelf queen rep (although I'm tempted to get some electrics to run it), finished applying the decals today :)

49761791872_20ffcc0c2c_b.jpg

• Like 10

Sorted out the steering servo position for my RC10 restoration. Currently working on the links.

Spotted my Hornet up the shell in the meantime, and realized it's been ages since the last time it saw the light of day. So I took it out for a few stills.

20200411-141212.jpg

20200411-140705.jpg

20200411-140737.jpg

20200411-142017.jpg

The instant I laid my hand on it I got a massive urge to run it again!!! I might remove the fancy shell, get out its war clothes and hop in the dirt again, any day now! 

• Like 12

Took my kids mad bulls apart ready for tomorrow, my daughters is missing a big chunk but this part serves no purpose so removed it on both cars and double sided taped the esc & receiver. 

IMG-20200411-WA0013.jpeg

IMG_20200411_202909.jpg

• Like 1

Started building a re-re Grasshopper today. It was one of the early cars I never had in the collection and I always admired its looks. I decided to challenge myself and build the gearbox blindfolded. I dumped all the hardware in one big pan, pre-cut the plastic parts from their sprues and went to work. The hardest part was finding the little stepped shaft the goes through the diff gear. 

I had the re-re Kyosho Scorpion out for a run today (not blindfolded!). It blew me away as usual with its ultra quiet gearbox and beautiful scale looks. My backyard must be perfect for it as the trailing arm suspension just eats up the rough terrain even with stock, scale looking (tiny) shocks. Its darn quick with just a 540 silvercan motor too. I love it. Since my company is happy to put us in danger during this Covid mess, I'm still pulling in a paycheck which makes a re-re Ultima runner very tempting (and hopefully will take my mind off the craziness around me).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Matt_G40 said:

My brother kindly sorted me a Top Force with spare Evolution bits he had collected. So I could have a shelf queen rep (although I'm tempted to get some electrics to run it), finished applying the decals today :)

49761791872_20ffcc0c2c_b.jpg

Nice brother

• Like 2

A twin detonator was waiting on the doorstep when I got home today. In a Golden Wonder box :lol: It’s getting a strip down clean and tart up. Thinking about a brat shell and WW2 wheels, kind of home brew mud blaster 2.5 for the covidiot in me. 

49761655643_aeaf4eb995_b.jpg

The nice thing is it came with 2 black sport tuned and a GT tuned motor. I have a Hobbywing 880 and 2 silver cans to use in it. 

yes the tyres have pirelli eagle written on them & no it isn’t my hand writing  :P

• Like 3

Not a Tamiya, but I spent the afternoon working on my Axial F100 body.  I am pretty happy with how it came out, still need to do black trim around the windows.

2020-04-11_06-10-58 20200411_163848 20200411_163835

In Tamiya related, I did get a shark mouth fav delivered today.  Was one I had to have because I worked on 23rd Fighter Group A-10s while stationed at Pope AFB.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I ordered an ECX Amp Mt :ph34r: putting a 1060esc, futaba servo and receiver in it. 

I picked up one of those for my daughter.  You are going to need the aluminum caster blocks up front.  The king pin screws are very short and fall out of plastic part consistently.   Use the aluminum and loc tight is the only way I found to fix the problem. 

8 minutes ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

I picked up one of those for my daughter.  You are going to need the aluminum caster blocks up front.  The king pin screws are very short and fall out of plastic part consistently.   Use the aluminum and loc tight is the only way I found to fix the problem. 

Crap, you’re running stock too? Hadn’t heard of that issue 

1 hour ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

Yes.  The step screw only has about 3 or 4 mm of threads that go into the plastic.

The vibration makes it back out ehh?

What makes it a perfect first car is the plastic is soft and flexible.  Only thing is that is not too good to hold screws tight.  Threads get pulled through very easy.

You know it has plastic gears and any real power will strip them.  It is the most common problem. 

1 minute ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

What makes it a perfect first car is the plastic is soft and flexible.  Only thing is that is not too good to hold screws tight.  Threads get pulled through very easy.

You know it has plastic gears and any real power will strip them.  Ilitch is the most common problem. 

Yes, I’m going to leave it stock motor. Did you get the rtr or kit? 

Kit, and I helped her put it together.   It is a pretty durable little car, has a couple minor issues just like any other rc.  Steering is not precise, servo saver is soft to protect the gears, the screw I mentioned, and plastic trans gears.  

When she is ready for something faster, i wouldn't hop it up, but replace with a better kit.

It is perfect for what it is, a first rc to be bounced around and run into everything in the yard.