Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today I painted this used oddball shell for my RC10, happy with the result condisering the previous state and wear. Now to the decals... it's going to be JPS

20200416-191443.jpg

20200416-191456.jpg

Also took the Boss for another stroll in a weird weather.

20200416-185405.jpg

Screenshot-20200416-214146-Video-Player.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, graemevw said:

Finished painting the stadium thunder. Tried for something old school.

20200416-131012.jpg

That looks abolutely TOPS. My mind boggles as to how you acheived that neon look!

• Like 4

Started on the KONGHEAD 6X6

49782554112_b0b9e45e43_b.jpg

Looking around for inspiration...

49782868573_5e2b2a87d4_b.jpg

49783426411_88c5529351_b.jpg

49782886783_f038f834bb_b.jpg

Not familiar with this kind of vehicle at all but it seems to be based on either a Kenworth or Peterbuilt semi. Cool trucks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got a konghead to build too. Not sure whether to buy full bearings or not, it costs nearly 25 quid as so many.

2 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

I’ve got a konghead to build too. Not sure whether to buy full bearings or not, it costs nearly 25 quid as so many.

If you are going to run it then bearings are a must. You don’t want to have to strip it all again after a month and then fit them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

Buying bearings in always bulk pays off. Looks like you need:

4x 850 bearings (5x8x2.5mm)

36x 1150 bearings (5x11x4mm)

Yeah Racing sell tubes of 10 metric bearings with metal shields for US$3.40 for both of these sizes. That's US$17 plus shipping and you end up with spares.

I always like to have 1150s and 850s in my parts box because they're probably the most common size for Tamiya.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

day 25 in isolation, and I'm still cutting out decals for @acprc :(

Pictures or it never happened!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CoolHands said:

As has been said bearings are a sound investment. As a minimum you could put them in the gearbox chassis and use the bushings on the wheels, a lot easier to swap later & if you run it in the wet the bushings in the hubs won’t corrode. 

The other point worth mentioning is to use metal shielded inside & rubber sealed outside, if you go for bearings that is.

trucks going to work either way :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolHands said:

As has been said bearings are a sound investment. As a minimum you could put them in the gearbox chassis and use the bushings on the wheels, a lot easier to swap later & if you run it in the wet the bushings in the hubs won’t corrode. 

The other point worth mentioning is to use metal shielded inside & rubber sealed outside, if you go for bearings that is.

trucks going to work either way :)

So what have I done....

Did some finishing touches to the TGR chassis I have been restoring and will update the Build thread

Did some more work on a TGX chassis I have been restoring for the Supra body that is hurting poor @jonboy1 hands!

Updated some spreadsheets on my Tamiya info

Ordered some parts, sold some parts on Ebay and hunted for parts

Started getting another build thread ready to post. 1970's Kyosho Nitro

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J@mes said:

Started on the KONGHEAD 6X6

49782554112_b0b9e45e43_b.jpg

Looking around for inspiration...

49782868573_5e2b2a87d4_b.jpg

49783426411_88c5529351_b.jpg

49782886783_f038f834bb_b.jpg

Not familiar with this kind of vehicle at all but it seems to be based on either a Kenworth or Peterbuilt semi. Cool trucks!

I have konghead kit to be delivered today hopefully.  Think I'm going with dark blue metallic on the main paint colour! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trev82 said:

I have konghead kit to be delivered today hopefully.  Think I'm going with dark blue metallic on the main paint colour! 

Nice! I was considering the same colour, not 100% decided & even less so on some of the other details. 

Are you going for stock finish apart from the darker blue? 

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

day 25 in isolation, and I'm still cutting out decals for @acprc :(

3 hours ago, acprc said:

Pictures or it never happened!

here's the proof:

Peppa Pig 3D Bubble Sticker Cartoon Toy Pink Pig Pig Sticker Toy ...

got another 6 of these sheets to go. Thing is, I still can't find a TGX series car that had this scheme.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well almost at the end of making my daughters Lunchbox how I’d like it to be, I started in either 2013 or 2014 so long ago I honestly can’t remember 😳- However big thanks to @jonboy1 who was going to finish this one up for me. 

Work has been very slow this week and this will continue for at least the lockdown period,  so whilst I won’t earn anything at least I can have a break and do some nice stuff @ home. 

Listed my incorrectly bought CRP bumper on eBay today, sold a set of tyres and also my lovely TA03 bundle as I realised that as much as I like it, there are too many other Tamiya in the queue before it. 

And as has taken me 6 years to finish a Lunchbox, there’s little point in it staying with me. 

My plan is too pick up the WW2 next week and finish that, then I might move 1 of the other 14 remaining models along. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took my FF03 for a test drive with the new oil gear diff. It works just about fine as supposed.

SJo51jo.jpg

while not so great was the experience with the F103LM, it has a 4.5T motor with a hobbyking 120A esc. Not sure if timing adjustments or too high gearing? But the car just suddenly stopped operating and that only after two full speed runs. While the ESC being abnormally hot.

took it apart now. While just plugging in the esc to the battery the ESC get hot and no throttle response.

might it be dead?

MKP6w7w.jpg

G5tmvHe.jpg

• Like 1

Finished the Rising Fighter charity build. Not everyone’s dream car I know but not a bad build. Lots of different size screws to keep you on your toes.

Stickers tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/Pbm2DUT.jpg

Pbm2DUT.jpg

• Like 2

Back to WFH today after a week 'away'. So no more Tamiya playtime. Hoping for some more Dual Hunter building over the weekend. 

I seem to have developed an interest in a trail runner/mild crawler, for trundling about in the garden.

Got intrigued by the Carisma Range Rover, then thought a CC-01 Defender might suit me better. Then I thought "ooh the CC-01 Bronco looks quite nice". Also the Bronco body looked simpler than the Defender.

Found the Bronco in stock at Tamico.

So I ended up ordering a Toyota Hi-Lux Extra Can :blink:

The Toyota is €149.99 at Tamico. Even with paint, some masking supplies and courier shipping (due to the paint) it's come out cheaper than the kit alone in the UK.

So the thoughts of a simpler body have gone out the window. I might have to send it to @jonboy1 for paint and stickers - he likes cutting decals out :P

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This is my 2008 thunder shot that I got back when it was first re-released. Finally built it complete with original stickers and found an original new MSC for it. 
Paint by @jonboy1

356DA724-4354-4C02-A583-69176E0DF7BB.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Seems something with the electronics (what else) is the issue on the F103LM.

swapped out the ESC and motor from my XRAY T1FK05 since it definitely needs a rebuild, if not this year then next. Or just convert it back to brushed.

now the F103LM is equipped with 10,5T LRP, 28T Pinion and a 65T spur in 32P,.

compared to before with a 4.5T mod motor, 48t Pinion and 90T spur in 0.4. (No wonder the esc gave up)

havent tested if, but it is a shame I havent done a speed run to test the topspeed. Tomorrow the esc will get some ajustments, hopefully until the rain in next week I will be able to top speed test.

New bearings for the rear drive shaft, different esc and motor with gearing adjustments plus a picture with the shorty battery.

HnSsaCf.jpg

ynknUPX.jpg

TaFtGtE.jpg

xfAfDR8.jpg
82qh3yS.jpg

F103 (F104 mod) and F103LM “TRF”

j9z1bg3.jpg
yBtjgTb.jpg

tdquYou.jpg

• Like 2

a busy week:

over Easter, I opened and started using my resin 3D printer. Initial prints were pretty good, but I have hit a snag and now waiting on some new consumables.

2020_04_18_arduino_3D_print-1.jpg

some rims, I only have this green resin at the moment.

2020_04_18_arduino_3D_print-2.jpg

Comparison from Resin Prints to Filament 3D printing. I like the quality, not too sure how strong it is yet, and have been learning about proper use of supports, otherwise the rims deform a little.

2020_04_18_arduino_3D_print-5.jpg

Inspired by @SandScorcher Jenny s build, I dug out my Rere Sand Scorcher, worked out a non box art scheme, sanded the molding lines, primer coat and then the first layer of white. I an out of white, so there is one more white coat to go, then its metallic green and black to finish off.

2020_04_18_arduino_3D_print-3.jpg

I also have finally gotten out my Arduino kit and started playing around with that (I have project I have to use it for). Many years ago I also bought an oscilloscope kit that you solder together, so while in the electronics mood I started that as well and I'll have the finish this weekend. A great way to practice soldering skills!

Arduino Uno kit top, partially solder oscilloscope at the bottom.

2020_04_18_arduino_3D_print-6.jpg

last, but not least, I printed and posted some silly stickers,

2020_04_18_arduino_3D_print-4.jpg

• Like 3

Fun today assembling this KONGHEAD 6X6 & here’s my mandatory open gearbox/chassis photo, TL-01B long arm business and the best bit; RC-Square fast(er) gears :rolleyes: 

49785632718_bbf5eb8608_b.jpg

49786171676_cff3e2bfc3_b.jpg

49786491972_0d2d04e1e1_b.jpg

49785631428_0397126033_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2