Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ordered a bunch of stuff from tamico,

wheel axle and dogbones to fix my konghead,

an hpi peugeot 106  237mm wheelbase body for my ta-03 rs  for spare, the last time there where 7 in stock, this was the last one they had so I jumped on it because there are not a lot 237 mm wheelbase bodies out there.

piant, gears to fix my wt-01, spare wheels and tires for my ta-03 and an esc for it.

b for me as i really like the weller wheels i remember i bro had a set on his metro back in the 80's

FINALLY finished the konghead bodyshell. I’ve done it first so I can enjoy the build and then just put the body straight on.

i will do a build thread

6492C393-76EA-47E4-A39D-D3F41908688F.jpeg.6b450ef15dd1a24efefe98337f78dda1.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

FINALLY finished the konghead bodyshell. I’ve done it first so I can enjoy the build and then just put the body straight on.

i will do a build thread

6492C393-76EA-47E4-A39D-D3F41908688F.jpeg.6b450ef15dd1a24efefe98337f78dda1.jpeg

loving that colour really suits it but for me i would not have put the stickers on as i would want to see the paint as they are quite large

• Like 1

Yeah I did leave the big ones off the side though as I know what you mean. 

2B2D0D65-9005-4FA2-AC8D-83C8C90F1A35.jpeg.2937779d160c47ce18400d7fd1ee689d.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

Yeah I did leave the big ones off the side though as I know what you mean. 

2B2D0D65-9005-4FA2-AC8D-83C8C90F1A35.jpeg.2937779d160c47ce18400d7fd1ee689d.jpeg

I just started painting my KONGHEAD 6X6 & I hope it turns out as nice as yours! 

Masking round the radiator was a real pain. I had to use copper colour as I don’t have silver!

A good day with the wrench means she’s finished bar body posts

27479361-2650-4643-AAB5-ABBB5220-E37-B.j

Tomorrow it’s time to investigate shortening the wheelbase. Bronco is winning at the moment.

• Like 5

Had a nice time working on this old goat. I ruined one small metal bit though. Now gutted :(

https://i.imgur.com/EXBDXX6.jpg

• Like 6

Oh, I also had a go with the tire lettering. I used the old small + screwdriver method with good results.

https://i.imgur.com/LFMeZ7n.jpg

2xkePIk.jpg

Y'all stay safe and have a good Thursday! :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered 2 Flysky receivers. I'm curious to see how long it takes to get here from China.

4 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Just ordered 2 Flysky receivers. I'm curious to see how long it takes to get here from China.

I ordered 5 on the 2nd of March on got them about the 16th of April. So 5-6 weeks, but that's to down under, hopefully it would be be quicker to the US. The other order I did at the same time never came (a HG P407) luckily the seller refunded me.

Replaced the broken shock tower and front arms on my sons HB413, realised he also bent a shock shaft. Another order to get it going again...looking at it I might do a bit more, new rear arms and shock rebuild kits as it has had a hard life and never seen any love.

Also ordered another SkyRC TS160 ESC, this time locally. I have one that needs to go back to rcmart, so while I expect tue warranty claim to be fine, I won't have it back for months. I need another race ESC anyway for my sons B6D so it will all work out, other than the really long wait. A TBLE-02S keeps thermalling in his B6D with a 13.5T motor which is strange, the motor doesnt get hot and I've run that same motor in a Boomerang without issue. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

A TBLE-02S keeps thermalling in his B6D with a 13.5T motor which is strange, the motor doesnt get hot and I've run that same motor in a Boomerang without issue. 

Do you have the cooling fan on it? Im pretty sure ive read on brushless motors on the turn limit it should have the tamiya fan fitted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Do you have the cooling fan on it? Im pretty sure ive read on brushless motors on the turn limit it should have the tamiya fan fitted.

No I don't, no way to fit one with getting the hop up fan for it. I tried fitting another fan. The limit is 10.5T though and I've run this motor without issue before on one. I've taken the setup from the HB for now which should be fine, ideally I'll use this as an excuse to do a swap between my cars an his so mine end up with TS160's and a Trinity or Fantom motor in my 4wd...just need that helicopter money!

I got a good deal on a used Racing Fighter, needs a new chassis as the current one is cracked, but has some hopups already installed.

Will be picking it up somewhere next week and rebuild it with some shiny new hopups I already bought :)

I've been wallowing a little in self pity the past couple of days, as I got a letter from work notifying me my job is at risk of being made redundant. :( I work in the oil/gas industry, which, when oil goes into negative value, means lots of layoffs. There are 2 positions in my role to go out of a pool of 12 and I find out next Wednesday if the selection process means I'm shortlisted or safe. My wife's step dad very sadly died on Saturday too, so all in all I've had better weeks.

So I decided I really needed to try and concentrate on something more fun, so I've been trying to finish off a couple of projects of my own. (Didn't really think it would be a good idea to mess up someone else's project due to lack of concentration - which, as was made evident in my previous post, turned out to be a very wise move!) Therefore, I started by dismantling my Uber Boomer! No, it wasn't to fit radio gear or connect up the motor - don't worry - nothing so practical as that! It has been bugging me that the blue plastic bits really stick out against the silver/black/yellow scheme I've gone for. So I decided to have a go at dying them and the white wheels black. I've not tried this before, so I followed a few vids on youtube and gave it a go. All in all it worked brilliantly - except for the hub carriers which it didn't touch at all. So I sanded them down, quick coat of primer and then some gloss black paint. I'm really happy with how it all came out, and it looks so much better now. 

IMG_1434 IMG_1436 IMG_1438

Believe it or not I'm actually looking at transmitters/receivers, so this might actually run next year! :P

The other thing I've been working on was my Jamie Booth Astute replica. Full details of it are in my showroom, and I've been stalled on finishing it as I couldn't decide what to do with the body. Anyway, I finally decided I may as well just give it a go or it'll never get finished. Aaaannnnd, I ended up with a mess. :wacko::rolleyes: I'd got 1 colour section done and was quite happy with it, then I tried the translucent green and got runs. So I stripped that, redid it, happy, added the silver back and then realised I'd gone waaaay too dark on the first colour and it didn't show up at all! :angry: So I stripped that one back, got impatient, forgot to spray a coat of flat clear on first (as I was using an acrylic around the edges - I'll explain in a mo) and it ran when I put the silver on!! Thoroughly fed up and annoyed I decided I'd just cover it up with a decal :huh: I might redo it at a later date.

So as a reference, I built it mechanically pretty much according to the RCC article in FEb '91 but with a few changes to to the motor/esc etc to match as closely as I could Jamie's actual Astute. With the body, it was meant to be a sort of homage to Jamie's but with my own twist.

Here's Jamie's and the RCC car:

mag2 mag1 IMG_20190912_193610

and here's mine:

IMG_1433 IMG_1432 IMG_1430 IMG_1429

The centre section of the body is actually edged with clear red with clear pink in the middle, but it hasn't shown up very well in this light. It really pops in strong sunlight though. 

• Like 14

Spent a good while deliberating about colours to paint the KONGHEAD 6X6 but I kept coming back to metallic blue (box art). Had just enough PS-16 left over from something else which was nice. another thing was a 1st try with some Core-RC paints including their ‘True Chrome’ - I’m impressed. It is more bling than PS-48 as that’s semi gloss.

49811119817_222060a2d3_b.jpg

lots more to do, just had to sit the body on the chassis for a look see :)

• Like 5

Put a new ESC in my Blitzer Beetle.  It's quick!  Trackstar 80amp ESC with a Trackstar 7.5t brushless and Lipo battery.  Super fun!

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Spent a good while deliberating about colours to paint the KONGHEAD 6X6 but I kept coming back to metallic blue (box art). Had just enough PS-16 left over from something else which was nice. another thing was a 1st try with some Core-RC paints including their ‘True Chrome’ - I’m impressed. It is more bling than PS-48 as that’s semi gloss.

49811119817_222060a2d3_b.jpg

lots more to do, just had to sit the body on the chassis for a look see :)

The chrome locks good, I will buy some of that. Did you find the masking of the radiator area problematic?

Did a bit more on my Wild Dagger upgrade today 😀

5370ABA3-EBE3-44FF-AF0D-677EAE589DAB.jpeg

C0220430-FC8A-4E2D-A870-03695FE9BA08.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks @superted :D

@CoolHands yes I did! I find masking polycarbonate shells problematic in general. I get annoyed if I’m not careful. I also tend to hold my breath when attempting tricky bits which might cause me to pass out whilst prepping a shell one day :lol: 

1 hour ago, Cephas said:

Did a bit more on my Wild Dagger upgrade today 😀

5370ABA3-EBE3-44FF-AF0D-677EAE589DAB.jpeg

C0220430-FC8A-4E2D-A870-03695FE9BA08.jpeg

Have you got a build thread? 

Wheelbase shortened, but some magic to work on body posts as they are way off

6-ACB2919-F8-E6-4-A46-AFC9-B8-C125-E63-B

CD15676-A-EB8-B-49-E2-AEAB-0-D91-F0-F228

The Bronco looks good, but better on the CR01. So I think I might shop for some wheels for the unimog

7977-FC4-F-29-C9-44-F2-8-D13-34-CCC93-A3

I’ve some of these on a CC01, they might suit nicely

• Like 3