Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Back to basics!

Screenshot-20200502-183130-Video-Player.

Wow, I forgot how zippy this guy is.
For the past month and a half I've been only running the Big Boss, 'cause with all the slush and mud of the changing season running any other of my buggies would have meant hours of cleaning each time.
The Boss is more of a tank than a rocket, and I got used to its pace and sound.
Going from that to the Hornet is quite a difference. It's so silent in comparison and hard to keep on its wheels -will flip on obstacles that wouldn't make the Boss flinch- and quite fast. I'm only talking Black Sport Tuned and ball bearings, no Lipo or brushless setup but still, to my standards it flies! Pulling wheelies on grass and all, wow

Screenshot-20200502-231015-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20200503-180902-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20200503-212221-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20200503-001918-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20200502-230316-Video-Player.

I was missing the feeling of a runner you can enjoy without sweating cold every time it crashes.

Screenshot-20200503-212350-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20200503-212056-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20200503-001709-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20200503-001145-Video-Player.

The handling of the Hornet is delightfully unpredictable, which caters to tons of extra fun.
I wouldn't say it's downright undrivable though -withing certain limits- so It's a great challenge to make it go where you want it to at full throttle :)

20200503-205253.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Just started my first Tamiya kit in years!  Radio and sport tuned motor are still being shipped, so a friend of mine is letting me use this old Futaba radio to get it going.

• Like 5

@Ferruz Love your action shots. How do yiu take photos so close to the car? What camera do you use? Self timer shots maybe? Would love to get my action shots better. 

Painted a TBG body and applied some stickers that I’ve had for a number of years (not original). They’re not great but it turned out ok, used PS16 as a slight change up, dropped it on one of my original chassis cars. Looks ok to sit on the shelf 😂

49854021352_55c4c68c00_k.jpg

• Like 7

page 999!!!! wow - what happens after this?

this weekend I've fitted a roof rack to the CR-01 and made some stronger body mounts (those gusts of wind as I open the garage door may cause the standard ones to wobble, so it was a necessity ;) )

Need to order some magnets to finish them off.

Still waiting for a bunch of orders to arrive so I can proceed with a few other jobs, so I stuck 2 decals on one of @acprcs cars ;) and got a bit of colour on the Scorcher Rover finally. It's taken FOREVER to get this thing ready for paint - moral of the story - when someone says they want an original Sand Rover restored, don't go into long discussions with them about how YOU think the body lines are all wrong and that YOU think Tamiya used the wrong chassis as there is a perfect one for it and YOU think it they should let YOU do it that way! Just keep YOUR big mouth shut and smile ;) Anyway, after a couple of coats of primer and a lot more sanding and some more primer and some more sanding and some more primer I got as couple of coats of gloss black on it (which whilst looking beautiful just looked sooo wrong on a beach buggy) and then a few coats of green followed by some clear. 

I've got to say, I'm super happy with it now!

IMG_1440 IMG_1439 IMG_1442 IMG_1441

I've got the driver half painted, so next up is finishing him and then painting the interior. Following that, decide on and make a windscreen, make a roll bar, make a front nerf bar, sort out some headlights, wet sand and polish, and start final assembly....

• Like 8

19 hours ago, mman2005 said:

£5k might be a bit hard for me to justify :lol: Good to know about the quality from Shapeways 

Autodesk's Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists. Granted it's not Solidworks but it is still pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Picked up a used DT-03 and started to take it apart for repairs and maintenance.

Has a broken chassis.

20200502_175945.thumb.jpg.62070ea867adeb54974ecf0cf8d87f1d.jpg

52 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

page 999!!!! wow - what happens after this?

this weekend I've fitted a roof rack to the CR-01 and made some stronger body mounts (those gusts of wind as I open the garage door may cause the standard ones to wobble, so it was a necessity ;) )

Need to order some magnets to finish them off.

Still waiting for a bunch of orders to arrive so I can proceed with a few other jobs, so I stuck 2 decals on one of @acprcs cars ;) and got a bit of colour on the Scorcher Rover finally. It's taken FOREVER to get this thing ready for paint - moral of the story - when someone says they want an original Sand Rover restored, don't go into long discussions with them about how YOU think the body lines are all wrong and that YOU think Tamiya used the wrong chassis as there is a perfect one for it and YOU think it they should let YOU do it that way! Just keep YOUR big mouth shut and smile ;) Anyway, after a couple of coats of primer and a lot more sanding and some more primer and some more sanding and some more primer I got as couple of coats of gloss black on it (which whilst looking beautiful just looked sooo wrong on a beach buggy) and then a few coats of green followed by some clear. 

I've got to say, I'm super happy with it now!

IMG_1440 IMG_1439 IMG_1442 IMG_1441

I've got the driver half painted, so next up is finishing him and then painting the interior. Following that, decide on and make a windscreen, make a roll bar, make a front nerf bar, sort out some headlights, wet sand and polish, and start final assembly....

I always thought that this is what tamiya should do for an up to date SRB? A really cool looking beach buggy!

• Thanks 1

Lunchtime project. Low profile sized servo tray for my FF03, mainly because the HCF body rattles like mad against the kit servo tray because the shell has scooped out section doors, so it runs about 2mm from the tray and rattles against it when running. 

Would fit my TA06 as well. I am definitely getting to the "how much more can I hop up my cars" part of this lockdown situation!

carbon servo plate check 3.JPG

carbon servo plate check 2.JPG

carbon servo plate check 1.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J@mes said:

:lol:49854235036_f5c3f77e2e_b.jpg

Might have driven this too hard... :lol:

look it nearly headless nick with out his horse.

looks like a bit of drink driving going on there

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Ferruz Love your action shots. How do yiu take photos so close to the car? What camera do you use? Self timer shots maybe? Would love to get my action shots better. 

Glad you like them.

No fancy equipment or timers here, I just use my phone (not a fancy one either) and try to get a bit creative with angles and perspective.

I used to be into photography and I do have a decent camera I'd love to get out again, unfortunately it's not with me at the moment so as I said, just the phone for now.

I usually take short, high resolution vids, and save the best screenshots off them afterwards. Some other times, my lady agrees to run after the car in motion while taking the video with the phone, which also turns into great pic material.

Another good way to get action pics is of course burst shots, but that too needs a second person behind the camera. This is why what always works best is to just find an interesting spot from which to film.

Hope these ideas helped, anyway trust me mate all you need is a barely decent phone and some creativity 😃 have fun out there

20200502-190734-006-01.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ferruz said:

Hope these ideas helped, anyway trust me mate all you need is a barely decent phone and some creativity 😃 have fun out there

And a partner willing to runaround after your car 😄

• Haha 2

@Ferruz That's really good to know. You must get really close to the car to get them so big in the frame? That's my biggest issue with photos and video whilst running my cars.

Not the best sticker job. Left the front cage off because the rear one was so bad. 

The orange does not show well in the camera, this is road worker jacket orange.

pVYK4aG.jpg

Y4wBFYG.jpg

• Like 3

Managed to finish a 2nd Vanquish today from parts left over from the one I set out originally to build, and took a year to finish... 

Missing a few bits like the right wheels (should be cream not white) front shock tower (found a random new one that fits), helical short silver front springs and the ball plugs used to hold the battery door on.  
Happy all the same to have a Vanquish runner and a pretty one on the shelf.  :DNow for another TBG body set & MCI decals. Wonder how long they’ll take to the UK.  :unsure:

9C7B845C-E880-4A89-9AC9-5188A0DEF4DC.jpeg

6AB2318C-59A1-45D7-A704-022EEB168099.jpeg

AD5E3D9B-3BF1-446E-878A-16179AE43B0A.jpeg

68385B7C-4530-4905-9B77-33391B553E53.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Not the best sticker job. Left the front cage off because the rear one was so bad. 

The orange does not show well in the camera, this is road worker jacket orange.

pVYK4aG.jpg

Y4wBFYG.jpg

Nice!  Heard they handle well, and loads of fun.  Something different.  Just ordered an Avante one myself.  July delivery though. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PaulRC10 said:

Nice!  Heard they handle well, and loads of fun.  Something different.  Just ordered an Avante one myself.  July delivery though. 

I ordered an Avante (or thought I had) this was supposed to fill the gap until then 😂

• Haha 1

Cut and mounted some more of the stickers I made. 1 down...

20200504_185757

• Like 1

Have been trying to use at least one car a day when I'm not working. At home as my back ( very long story is playing up) so it was the Wild Ones turn. Havent used it for a while. Its stock apart from bearings and a Sport Tuned motor and I was running it on a recently cut lawn (See back problem:() It was really good fun. I'd kinda forgotten what full on understeer can be like. Can't wait to get it out on to some loose stuff for some serious oversteer.

IMG_1981.JPG.259bf41c86de86acc0964acac10c3c39.JPG

Also went through my sticker folder and found the Rally Beetle set that I didnt use as I did a Herbie body. Also some Herbie stickers and some general sponser stickers. Willy liked the look of them so they went onto his new bug. Once on they were abused with wet and dry, Matt varnish etc to get that used look. Also installed the 10.5T bluebottle with a 13t steel pinion. Not sure how this will perform but I'm after acceleration rather than top speed.. Cant run it though as the only sensor cable I have is too short. One on its way!!!

IMG_1978.JPG.611ad42e21efd9aadbc39c707c190947.JPGIMG_1979.JPG.bf0526993a5db18f8fbb430c9462897d.JPGIMG_1980.JPG.a16c1650256c138e1db9b6f5ac58e194.JPGIMG_1978.JPG.611ad42e21efd9aadbc39c707c190947.JPGIMG_1979.JPG.bf0526993a5db18f8fbb430c9462897d.JPGIMG_1980.JPG.a16c1650256c138e1db9b6f5ac58e194.JPG

Also Chromed the edge of the wheel rims.

• Like 4

Fitted the exhaust stacks to my Konghead.

It should just need radio gear and a battery now 👍

image.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Ferruz That's really good to know. You must get really close to the car to get them so big in the frame? That's my biggest issue with photos and video whilst running my cars.

Yes, for the close-up shots you gotta be near the car. I admit most of my buggies at some point have kicked up pebbles and dirt right in my face (and in some cases, in my wife's face 😱) but hey, the risk is part of the fun!

Another way to get good close-ups is to predict where the car will go (after all, we are the drivers)  and therefore position your camera accordingly.

For example, if you know where the car will jump, you can dig a spot nearby from which your device will be filming, and then just concentrate on the driving.

Of course all of that takes patience and a few attempts: just when you think you nailed a good video/shot then you'll find that it's blurry, out of focus, or the phone shifted, you know what it is... but again, it's all part of the fun and personally every time I set out for that I end up happy with a good bunch of pics and vids! It's hard to make a selection on what to post sometimes...

Anyway, hope that helped! 

• Like 2