Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Finished the build last week but finally painted the Hornet shell and stickered up - man i need more practice at that but really pleased with how the colour turned out (black was on back order and I saw a couple blue ones I liked). Time for a drive tomorrow!

46FA4288-6CB4-44E5-9B34-AED772296653.jpeg

8AECB9E1-2EA3-4E46-ACBD-280F6E81AC92.jpeg

• Like 10

Still going nice and steady. Lights wired and attached today.

20200511_220230_resized.jpg

20200511_220204_resized.jpg

• Like 8

Had a quick mess with the chassis tonight got it up to more or less rolling. Just set to standard for now but ally shaft and bearings will definitely be ordered on payday. Didn't take long to be fair. One ever so slight mishap with the car to sort out and a couple of interruptions from my little assistant but it'll be a decent chassis when it's done

IMG_20200511_225838.jpg

• Like 2

just got back from an excellant bash session with the TOPFORCE. 3250 brushless on lipo.......the rear wing mount did not enjoy. just bent it back in place:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I gave a whole pile of bits and bobs to my friend to build up a bitsa TT-02 rally.  We're short a couple of parts sprues which we're working on sourcing.  Can anyone confirm if these for the TT-01 will work on the TT-02? 

Part number:  TAM9005718

spacer.png

The usual when my daughter isn't here: too much youtube, some RC wrenching and then a nice walk with an RC in place of a dog. Couldn't resist a few minutes in the dirt before heading back home. Forgot how difficult it is to drive fast when you're looking at the phone screen instead lof reality lol

• Like 5

Tamiya day of sorts today, my son is in training in the family business while on holidays from college and asked for something to do.....

D366BB7F-145E-481E-94C1-05D96718777C.gif

and next minute......

http://D2714483-CCD3-48D2-9421-5C0E5569FEBE.jpg

Good lad.......now go and put the kettle on 😁

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Oh dear...

Could this be why?

😁

Probably :D

It flies with that motor, only had to tone down the punch a bit to keep the front wheels on the ground.

But changed to new pins in both CVD's and ran 4 lipo's without issues, seems the standard ones in the 3Racing CVD's are a bit on the softer side.

7 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

I gave a whole pile of bits and bobs to my friend to build up a bitsa TT-02 rally.  We're short a couple of parts sprues which we're working on sourcing.  Can anyone confirm if these for the TT-01 will work on the TT-02? 

Part number:  TAM9005718

spacer.png

No sadly not - it was those exact TT01 bits that i donated to TurnipJF for the charidee mogs build TT02 and they didnt fit.

The TT01 axles and cups were slightly too long and seemed to bind up when used on the TT02 suspension arms.

See here;

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mman2005 said:

Masked and started painting my DF03 Team Azarashi shell. Completely missed some sections of the windows for masking :unsure: what a plum.

20200511_200413

Planning on doing the remainder in pearlescent white (once I get my can delivered). In the meantime I can't decide whether to try and blend blue into white (where the yellow circle is) or leave it as is.

Any opinions very welcome :)

I'd recommend the Revell Paint Remover if you want to get those window sections back clear.

Do you have an airbrush? If not, I personally wouldn't try a fade You really need to have full control over the amount of paint you are putting down and it's incredibly difficult to do that with a can - especially across multiple surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jonboy1 said:

I'd recommend the Revell Paint Remover if you want to get those window sections back clear.

Do you have an airbrush? If not, I personally wouldn't try a fade You really need to have full control over the amount of paint you are putting down and it's incredibly difficult to do that with a can - especially across multiple surfaces.

Thanks. I've got some IPA which successfully cleaned up the windows. 

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right. I could end up really messing it up. Was going to attempt a blend either side of the windscreen first as its a smaller area but now thinking I will just make those solid blue. 

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Tamiya day of sorts today, my son is in training in the family business while on holidays from college and asked for something to do.....

and next minute......

that looks like a really good idea, well done!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

that looks like a really good idea, well done!

Thanks mate, I can’t bring myself throw the boxes out especially after seeing a photo of an artist working hard at his desk putting a box art together on another thread 👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

and next minute......

That looks fantastic. I showed my wife which was a mistake as I won't be able to replicate it! When the trans-tasman bubble starts do you want to head over to do a couple here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That looks fantastic. I showed my wife which was a mistake as I won't be able to replicate it! When the trans-tasman bubble starts do you want to head over to do a couple here?

Packing my bags 😁..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Re-Bugged That looks brilliant - good framing really sets off any artwork nicely.

I ran the Konghead briefly on Sunday, it snapped a CVD, I pulled the whole chassis apart (twice) and I must admit I was impressed that after almost 3 years there was no signs of wear (on the inside). It got another run tonight - I was a bit rusty (I haven't driven at speed for about a month) but it was great fun, as always. The Konghead really is one of my favourite Tamiyas.

2020-05-12 17.29.35-2.jpg

• Like 11

Ordered P parts for the monster beetle, I'm missing the driver and windshield wipers so that will help.

Both the monster and blitzer beetles need painting as they are just bare shells, in both cases the previous owners just put the stickers on, so need to get those again.

May have a midnight pumpkin (black) to paint too.

Oh and got a dispatch note for:

tamiya-58594-1.jpg

Saw one end on ebay a couple of days ago for what I thought was a lot of money. For a few quid more you can buy a new one. Or can you ? 58594 now discontinued in UK (maybe by Japan too?) and retailers who were relying on Tamiya UK stock can't deliver. Now the ebay high price makes sense....

Spoke to Richie at RSC scale models (https://www.rscscalemodels.co.uk/) who said he didn't have a kit but did have one built up as a display model and he'd email me some pictures.

Meantime I had managed to confirm and order one from anticsonline which was their last one too ( https://www.anticsonline.uk ), Richie then rang me back saying not only did he have the display model but he'd actually found a complete kit in stock too !  Unfortunately too late for me, but if you want one I suggest giving Richie a call. His is a better deal as he offers a bearing set for new customers and he's a nice chap too as he went to the effort of ringing back and was quite happy to chat.

Hmm, 2 beetles, the lowride and maybe an original pumpkin to paint, the lunchbox needs a new shell too, I could be busy painting for a while it seems...

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

@Re-Bugged That looks brilliant - good framing really sets off any artwork nicely.

I ran the Konghead briefly on Sunday, it snapped a CVD, I pulled the whole chassis apart (twice) and I must admit I was impressed that after almost 3 years there was no signs of wear (on the inside). It got another run tonight - I was a bit rusty (I haven't driven at speed for about a month) but it was great fun, as always. The Konghead really is one of my favourite Tamiyas.

2020-05-12 17.29.35-2.jpg

One of the best pics of the Konghead I've ever seen👍

Onto step 1 of my clod black, going to take my time not really by choice since being on lockdown i have to attend to a 4 yr old too while my wife teaches. 

I've had to move all my rc stuff out of the hobby room while a new floor and some building work happens, so i took the opportunity to take a picture of all my SRBs together. as normally they are all stored, or awaiting restoration.spacer.png

From left to right:

Early, or MK1 Scorcher

1980s Scorcher

Early or MK1 Rough Rider

A pair of 1980s Rough Riders, and no, i didn't choose the yellow paint scheme, it was that colour when i bought it.

An early short arch Ranger and my later Ranger chassis which i dont currently have a body for.

J

• Like 4

Sent the parcel of 3 lots off today to its new owner and I got out bid on a King Cab.

Bit gutted, but there you go :P

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ferruz said:

@junkmunki I love the yellow and white paint scheme on that Rough Rider. Gorgeous 

It is a bit odd, but not the worst i have seen.

J

Gravel Shower today!

20200512-000910.jpg

20200512-104434.jpg

20200512-001036.jpg

20200512-001021.jpg

It was fun, running the Manta Ray fast and getting it dirty again. Very happy with how it handles with the Optima Mid Special wheels+tires on dirt and gravel (had only tried this setup on ice and snow until the other day).

One thing: every time it amazes me how this otherwise great chassis seems to be engineered specifically to rake up as much debris as possible while in operation. I couldn't get these many pebbles stuck in the honeycomb pattern if I tried 

• Like 4