Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Fitted the Double Cardon joints to the Ff-03. Has transformed the steering with how smooth it is and how much extra lock I can now apply. Also raised the steering links on the knuckle arms to better clear the chassis at full droop. Well worth almost half the cost of the kit!.. 

It's really amazing how the double-cardan joints perform and makes the steering worry free.

Forgot to add - when building the porsche GT1 i noticed there was quite a bit of play on the wheels / hubs / suspension arms assembly. Its the first TA03 ive built and not sure if its normal but there is about 3 - 4mm of rocking movement back and forward on the suspension. I suppose I could shim it out but its a bit more than I was expecting (have built a couple of TA02's and they have a bit but not as much as this)

52 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Forgot to add - when building the porsche GT1 i noticed there was quite a bit of play on the wheels / hubs / suspension arms assembly. Its the first TA03 ive built and not sure if its normal but there is about 3 - 4mm of rocking movement back and forward on the suspension. I suppose I could shim it out but its a bit more than I was expecting (have built a couple of TA02's and they have a bit but not as much as this)

Sadly this is pretty normal. The good thing is it doesn't seem to affect how it runs, but I'm not a racer so my opinion probably doesn't count.

Tamiya made aluminium uprights / C-hubs for the TA03 back in the day and even with these, you needed to shim the uprights to reduce the play in them. 

And good luck finding an aluminium steering upgrade for them, mega money now!

Just been trying to work out how to fill up those filing cabinets I pogged off the neighbour yesterday!

I started off with a drawer for brushed ESCs. I had one of those "how did I end up with 6 TBLE-02s" moments that are probably familiar to many TC members lol! Oh well, at least I'm sorted for basic brushed controllers for the foreseeable future. 

I really need to work out how to best utilise them though. 1 for brushed ESC, 1 for brushless, 1 for brushed motors, 1 for brushless, 1 for dampers and springs, 1 tray for wire, connects, solder and flux etc. 

I know just from the little plastic units I got from Aldi though that it's so much nicer knowing exactly where stuff is so hopefully I can extend that to a lot more different things.

• Like 1

Spent a few hours going through the egress manual and tracking down all the parts to build a set of egress hi cap dampers from scratch.

Found everything except a pair of front springs :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Superluminal said:

That is strange I build one to and I had very little play on the whole car  so it is not normal, a tt-01 or so have a lot more play, I was surpriced that the car had very little play in it, in what part  do you have 3-4 mm play. maybe and picture to see what is wrong, maybe you made mistake.

2 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

That is strange I build one to and I had very little play on the whole car a tt-01 or so have a lot more play, in what part you have 4mm play.

If i hold the chassis still I can rock the wheels side to side (ie backwards / forwards) a few more mm each way than i was expecting. The fronts arent as bad as the rear wheels. I have higher offset wheels on the rear so its probably more pronounced.

11 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

If i hold the chassis still I can rock the wheels side to side (ie backwards / forwards) a few more mm each way than i was expecting. The fronts arent as bad as the rear wheels. I have higher offset wheels on the rear so its probably more pronounced.

It is not just that you have to shim the wheel axle and the play is coming from there, the whole suspension arms chubs  have very little play in mine car.

I just looked at mine there is a little play in it, but not 3-4 mm did you you use  the step screws for the suspension I used copper bushings with a normal screw.

15 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

It is not just that you have to shim the wheel axle and the play is coming from there, the whole suspension arms chubs  have very little play in mine car.

The play seems to come from the camber link to the c-hub which allows it to rock back and fourth.

If i hold this still it takes out most of the play in the rest of the suspension. Would be better if this was a wishbone or similar fixed back and front.

They seem to have a lot of movement on the step screws

Resized_20200528_195050_9249.jpeg

Resized_20200528_195116_8615.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

The play seems to come from the camber link to the c-hub which allows it to rock back and fourth.

If i hold this still it takes out most of the play in the rest of the suspension. Would be better if this was a wishbone or similar fixed back and front.

Resized_20200528_195050_9249.jpeg

Resized_20200528_195116_8615.jpeg

I see you used the step screws on the camber link, I used copper bushing and normal screws that thight things up a little.

• Like 1

Yes!  Just edited to add that. I have some of those bushes.

Will try some of them.

Adjusted the body posts so the front wheels don’t catch the arch 👍

Might take it apart and see if it has bearing all round, test/swap the glitchy servo, possibly add some modest hop ups and bit of detailing to follow- I ‘m not sure I can be bothered right now tbh though 

image.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/26/2020 at 11:13 PM, Ferruz said:

Had a little blast through the meadows with the Hornet yesterday and today after work

20200526-195511.gif

On 5/27/2020 at 3:08 AM, jonboy1 said:

What did those poor, poor little innocent dandelions do to you?!  🤷‍♂️😜

lol... @Ferruz is helping them.  Next year will have 100 more dandelions!  

(When I see those in my lawn, I cut them off while trying my best not to blow the seeds all over the place.  And then I pull them)  

• Like 4

I somehow lost control and drove the Manta Ray straaaaight in the ditch. In a rush to get there I wiped out and also fell in the ditch 😂 I was amazed at the dumbness of those few moments... I didn't really hit the water but the car did, I reckon it stayed underwater for at least 20 seconds. It was the ONLY part or the ditch deep enough for the car to completely sink 🤬 

Now trying my best to dry everything up properly. Guarded prognosis.

• Like 1

In other news, the FedEx guy showed up with my Terra Scorcher today! I wasn't expecting it so soon, given the situation.

I realized I still don't have the A5 part support, the 3 extra 1150 bearings, a servo and a receiver, and most important I haven't yet figured out a color scheme. But happy that it's here! I'll have to wait a few more days until my birthday to open the box tough.

By the way, I assume I'll need a steel pinion too as a basic hop-up. What is the stock pinion of the Terra Scorcher? 15T?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferruz said:

By the way, I assume I'll need a steel pinion too as a basic hop-up. What is the stock pinion of the Terra Scorcher? 15T?

Yes, stock is 15. You will need a 0.8 pinion or 32p.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:14 AM, tamiya_1971 said:

Stripping the butt-ugly lime green from this original Blackfoot body.  

Ik46Ls7.jpg

how could you??!!!! 😥😥😥😥

IMG_0960

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Finished my first TTO2B build.  Made a hash of the paint job Thou. But I will be running this anyway.   Put in my first brushless setup, 15 turn and street wheels and tyres.    Get some running later.  

A233617F-7C2B-47F7-8642-9D03B179B850.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

how could you??!!!! 😥😥😥😥

IMG_0960

Mine has been ugly for 15+ years. Your shell looks great! Look at that mirror finish! If mine had looked that good, I would have never stripped it down. 

• Haha 1

Continuing work on my Vintage Fox. The body is cut to fit the custom rear sway bar setup I have. 

43E1EF04-5CAB-4D51-9E38-D79EDE218887.jpeg

• Like 3