Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

For your next job maybe he'd like a Subaru NBR shell next, three different colours and somewhere over 100 stickers !

toplarge.jpg

I don't think he needs any encouragement thank you very much! ;) 

• Haha 2

Haven't run much of late. Stresses of late are growing and compounding I suppose. Sadly, when I need a care-free jaunt around the backyard, I tend to grab my Stampede. It never breaks (I love vintage runners, but sometimes you just don't feel like dealing with technical issues), and if it crashes, there's zero guilt. The Stampy's basic design has been around forever, making it sort of vintage in a way. I'm not a Traxxas fanboy in the least, but they certainly designed a winner back in the mid 90's. I bought it used and went through it, replacing only the few vulnerable pieces with bulletproof RPM stuff. The bling bling, look-at-me wheels went bye-bye in favor of some Wheely King rubber. Now, all I need is a new body with a more classic paint scheme vs the tribal "extreme" graphics on the standard issue body.  Some weight up front curbs wheelies and helps give more steering. I even yanked the 12T Titan for a 21T Maxx version. Now the speeds are were they need to be for my yard size without losing all that torque that allows it to plow trough the grass effortlessly. It really makes it the perfect basher truck for me, much better than the psychotic, reach-for-the-sky antics of the 12T.

20200601_101557 (2) 20200601_101010 (2) 20200601_101150 (2) 20200601_101800 (2)

• Like 8

Finished my daughter's Manta Ray.  I am not loving the iridescent Tamiya paint.  I used ps-46 for this one.  We were looking on TamiyaUSA and the cap color looked purple and she wanted it so I got it.  It looks silver most of the time with tinges/flashes of purple if the sun or light hits it right.  I did 5 coats and then backed it with black.  The one thing I really don't like is how the cockpit black doesn't 'pop' for some reason.  

Fun build, now I have a Top Force to build which will be my main runner.  Already have a 17t brushed motor for a slight hop up but will see where to go from there.

image0 (1).jpeg

IMG_1079.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Finished my daughter's Manta Ray.  I am not loving the iridescent Tamiya paint. 

Sorry it doesn't meet your expectations. I think it looks great!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

The finishing look. What you guys think ? Decals or no decals ? 

47302FF4-08A9-463F-9079-9105CAD51F57.jpeg

788FD6BC-D730-4A8F-B769-BD6D0EFAAB75.jpeg

sorry but for me the decal dont suit the shell colour so no or minimal stickers its what i did to mineIMG_20180506_122720.thumb.jpg.48d784012a5c4b889a80a0bd46c00d64.jpg

• Like 1

I do think it's kinda funny that so many people are building Manta Rays.  Is that all we could get our hands on these days?  haha

57 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

The Stampy's basic design has been around forever, making it sort of vintage in a way. I'm not a Traxxas fanboy in the least, but they certainly designed a winner back in the mid 90's

^^ This.  My coworker has a stampede from when they were first released, he even remembers going to the hobby shop on his lunchbreak to buy it! it's had a relatively hard life but it's just keeping on going. I'd love to get one as it was one of the first hobby grade cars I ever drove. 2wd, huge suspension travel, huge wheels and tough plastics. Hard to go wrong! 

• Like 1

I can't believe what just happened to me :blink:

I went to the garage/workshop to get a driver's helmet I finished painting yesterday, which turned out all nice and gleaming.

On my way back my chipmunk friend hopped by, so I decided to take a moment with him. I pinned the toothpick with the freshly painted helmet in the seams of a bench and went off to feed the chippy around the corner, I reckon the whole thing lasted little longer than 5 minutes.

Well, once back to where I left the helmet that's what I found:

20200601-121052.jpg

It's been completely ravaged. Scratches all over, masking tape torn off the face, the face itself all scratched away! What the badword :o-_-

I guess some bird or well, some chipmunk must have though that was a berry or something... funny and weird, anyway sure thing is, the wonderful wildlife of the area just totally wasted 5 or 6 hours of detail work so I'm quite bummed :mellow:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Hes practising. Working out how quickly and how many other chipmunks will be needed to take down a head 10x bigger.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

Finished my daughter's Manta Ray.  I am not loving the iridescent Tamiya paint.  I used ps-46 for this one.  We were looking on TamiyaUSA and the cap color looked purple and she wanted it so I got it.  It looks silver most of the time with tinges/flashes of purple if the sun or light hits it right.  I did 5 coats and then backed it with black.  The one thing I really don't like is how the cockpit black doesn't 'pop' for some reason.  

Fun build, now I have a Top Force to build which will be my main runner.  Already have a 17t brushed motor for a slight hop up but will see where to go from there.

image0 (1).jpeg

IMG_1079.jpg

That looks great! 

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

sorry but for me the decal dont suit the shell colour so no or minimal stickers its what i did to mineIMG_20180506_122720.thumb.jpg.48d784012a5c4b889a80a0bd46c00d64.jpg

The decals don’t usually last too long anyways so once they peel off, I’ll go from there 😂

2 hours ago, A-Baum said:

The one thing I really don't like is how the cockpit black doesn't 'pop' for some reason. 

Ps-5 black normally looks super shiny and glossy when sprayed on the inside of lexan - definitely did on my hornet.

Thought id ask - but have you removed the overspray film? Thats the only thing i can think of that would take the shine off.

6 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Ps-5 black normally looks super shiny and glossy when sprayed on the inside of lexan - definitely did on my hornet.

Thought id ask - but have you removed the overspray film? Thats the only thing i can think of that would take the shine off.

Not a dumb question. When I first got back into it I put the decals on my son's racing fighter and totally forgot about the overspray film.  Good times!  I did use ps-5.  I think the silver/iridescent removes the 'pop' that you'd see with a bright green, blue, red, etc.  No biggies.  She's having fun driving it, all that matters to me.  

• Like 2

Sent my Hilux off to be given a makeover and packed and sent my last sold handset. 

• Like 1

Started the build of my VW Karmann Ghia M-06 Chassis.

Also cut the body shell. quite happy with it up to now.  Only the second one in 30 years lol.  Now to choose a colour scheme.  Thinking Metallic Red with Gloss Black roof

20200601_202748_resized.jpg

20200601_202813_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Visited my LHS today with my family - they had some new Tamiya kits on sale, plus a few other fun things!

- The Hotshot with the SOLD tag on it is mine :)  They actually had two of those kits, one of which I ordered the other sold before they put they could put it on the shelf. I'm currently waiting on a Sport Tuned motor to arrive next week and then that'll come home with me.

- While there, my wife and kids treated me to an early fathers day gift of a TT-01E Audi A4 Touring car kit! there is some nostalgia here in that my first car out of college was a silver A4 and I met my wife while working at Audi Headquarters/Corp in the U.S.

My LHS here in Raligh, NC continues to be a treasure chest of goodness.

LHS 1.jpg

LHS 3.jpg

LHS 2.jpg

Audi2.jpg

Audi 1.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

i finally finished sticking decals to @acprc's cars!!!!!! 🙌😎🤗🤩🤪😇🤠🎈🎇🥇🏆

.....now i just have to do some custom masking and painting and stick some more decals on another one for him..... :( 

i must've been a truly horrible person in a previous life....

:P

Nobody believes you........

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, metalheadDad said:

Visited my LHS today with my family - they had some new Tamiya kits on sale, plus a few other fun things!

- The Hotshot with the SOLD tag on it is mine :)  They actually had two of those kits, one of which I ordered the other sold before they put they could put it on the shelf. I'm currently waiting on a Sport Tuned motor to arrive next week and then that'll come home with me.

- While there, my wife and kids treated me to an early fathers day gift of a TT-01E Audi A4 Touring car kit! there is some nostalgia here in that my first car out of college was a silver A4 and I met my wife while working at Audi Headquarters/Corp in the U.S.

My LHS here in Raligh, NC continues to be a treasure chest of goodness.

LHS 1.jpg

LHS 3.jpg

LHS 2.jpg

Audi2.jpg

Audi 1.jpg

Look at the size of that Globe Liner box!! :o 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Haven't run much of late. Stresses of late are growing and compounding I suppose. Sadly, when I need a care-free jaunt around the backyard, I tend to grab my Stampede. It never breaks (I love vintage runners, but sometimes you just don't feel like dealing with technical issues), and if it crashes, there's zero guilt. The Stampy's basic design has been around forever, making it sort of vintage in a way. I'm not a Traxxas fanboy in the least, but they certainly designed a winner back in the mid 90's. I bought it used and went through it, replacing only the few vulnerable pieces with bulletproof RPM stuff. The bling bling, look-at-me wheels went bye-bye in favor of some Wheely King rubber. Now, all I need is a new body with a more classic paint scheme vs the tribal "extreme" graphics on the standard issue body.  Some weight up front curbs wheelies and helps give more steering. I even yanked the 12T Titan for a 21T Maxx version. Now the speeds are were they need to be for my yard size without losing all that torque that allows it to plow trough the grass effortlessly. It really makes it the perfect basher truck for me, much better than the psychotic, reach-for-the-sky antics of the 12T.

Looks good with the WK tires! Yeah I was never a fan of the stampede body, used to have a 4wd VXL on 3s with trenchers on it, sold it and kept the brushed 2wd as it was just more fun and less hassle. It only has a 1060 esc and monster jam wheels with a 50s chev truck body. Lots of turn brain off and chill fun without the dramas Tamiyas give you.

HHvwnop.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Today I fell in love with the M-chassis cars.  I thought they were the red-headed stepchild of 1/10 scale, but I get it now. The M07R is an absolute joy to drive.

They are a heap of fun aren't they? I have an M07 and liked it so much I got an M07R as well. I haven't built it yet though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A-Baum said:

I did my Comical Hornet in PS46, it came out gorgeous. I did a test first where the PS46 didn't come out right. What I discovered is that it has to be very dry before each coat. I did the Hornet with 2 coats of PS53 Lame flake, then 4 coats of PS46, making sure each coat of the irridescent was touch-dry, and finally two coats of black. It has come out with an incredibly 'deep' metallic look from the PS53; which is my new favourite. Every body I do from now on will have glitter. The purple came out really well too. Front on it's bright purple, at low angles it is a deep forest green. I think the trick is to let it completely dry between the coats and the final black coat.

58 minutes ago, c64orinoco said:

They are a heap of fun aren't they? I have an M07 and liked it so much I got an M07R as well. I haven't built it yet though.

They are great little cars, quite different in character to their larger TC brethren, and also to each other.  They tend to breed too. The first one that caught my imagination was the M-03, and before long it was joined by an M-04, M-05, M-06 and M-07. Now I find myself collecting hop-ups for an M-08 build in the not to distant future...

• Like 2