Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Getting my tank mojo going doing a 1/35th scale Sheridan before starting its big brother. Decided to go with a black drive to honour the black community at this time. Many black soldiers lost their lives or survived with traumatic symptoms yet are rarely if ever depicted in models.F363B170-3BE8-40AE-895A-B3FBA33BE2A6.jpeg.8ff5ff5dee42efb817f9e1b267131a0c.jpeg80A98C28-B771-430F-B2E5-0641CC32715C.jpeg.ae40e590ae991262717cd366b83b3f5e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Not done anything directly RC related. But I did use my new soldering station so that counts.

With this lockdown business meaning working from home, I'd been hooking my laptop up to the 22 inch Samsung monitor that I've had for years.

A few weeks ago that monitor started playing up - flickering on power up and taking longer and longer to stabilise. Eventually it stopped stabilising completely.

I bought a replacement so that I could keep working but, having googled the fault, I found out it was likely caused by some bad capacitors.

Thinking that the fix didn't sound too difficult, I put it away with the intention of trying to fix it one day - as much as a learning exercise than anything else.

Fast forward a few weeks and last weekend I found a video on how to strip it down. Followed that and soon was able to spot 5 faulty capacitors. The info I'd found recommended changing those 5 and another one (which looked ok in my case). So I ordered some caps from RS Components (including a replacement for the "other" one).

The caps turned up yesterday and today I set about removing the old ones and fitting the new ones in their place. It was the first soldering job I've done since my new WEP soldering station arrived the other day.

Happily it all went well, all parties involved survived and the monitor now powers on like a champ :D

I'm encouraged to try and fix other things that might have similar faults now. First up will likely be a subwoofer that developed a buzz even with nothing connected.

On a more RC related note, I also have some battery and ESC connectors to swap for XT60's now that I know the soldering station works.

• Like 3

Saw my nephew today. His car was 80% complete Roller from @Grumpy pants about a year ago. It’s was mint. Sorry. Lol. However my now 4yr old nephew runs this car harder and more frequently than any other car I have known. He’s probably run 200hours though it. He absolutely loves it. It’s had 3 sets of rear tyres, a motor, a chassis, 2 escs and rx. Brilliant. He’ll be Tamiya for life. Like his dad, uncle and grandad. 

480A5BFC-8CBB-4F09-BBB0-A6388CF79D69.jpeg

• Like 14

Run the Dirt Trasher in the backyard until it lost a step screw for one of the rear damper. Lot of fun.

4 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Not done anything directly RC related. But I did use my new soldering station so that counts.

With this lockdown business meaning working from home, I'd been hooking my laptop up to the 22 inch Samsung monitor that I've had for years.

A few weeks ago that monitor started playing up - flickering on power up and taking longer and longer to stabilise. Eventually it stopped stabilising completely.

I bought a replacement so that I could keep working but, having googled the fault, I found out it was likely caused by some bad capacitors.

Thinking that the fix didn't sound too difficult, I put it away with the intention of trying to fix it one day - as much as a learning exercise than anything else.

Fast forward a few weeks and last weekend I found a video on how to strip it down. Followed that and soon was able to spot 5 faulty capacitors. The info I'd found recommended changing those 5 and another one (which looked ok in my case). So I ordered some caps from RS Components (including a replacement for the "other" one).

The caps turned up yesterday and today I set about removing the old ones and fitting the new ones in their place. It was the first soldering job I've done since my new WEP soldering station arrived the other day.

Happily it all went well, all parties involved survived and the monitor now powers on like a champ :D

I'm encouraged to try and fix other things that might have similar faults now. First up will likely be a subwoofer that developed a buzz even with nothing connected.

On a more RC related note, I also have some battery and ESC connectors to swap for XT60's now that I know the soldering station works.

So do you think the new solder station made a difference?  I had a cheap one from banggood and I found it so hard to use so have just replaced it with a Hakko FX 888 but haven't used it yet.  I have high hopes for it though.  And hope that it makes a difference as it was 10 times as much as the old one!

Put this little lot on eBay 💥

I decided to use auctions and try my luck this week 🤷‍♂️

54-E98996-7-D20-4249-83-AF-83-A2850642-C

20 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So do you think the new solder station made a difference?  I had a cheap one from banggood and I found it so hard to use so have just replaced it with a Hakko FX 888 but haven't used it yet.  I have high hopes for it though.  And hope that it makes a difference as it was 10 times as much as the old one!

To be honest I could have probably done the job with my standard soldering iron. I'd have had to change the tip for a smaller one and it would have been a bit unwieldy, but it would have done it.

I'd been intending to get a soldering station for a while. Now that I have a decent work area I can have it set up, ready to go.

I looked for an fx888 but there aren't many readily available here and they cost about twice what I paid for the one I got.

So far I'm happy with it, but I don't normally do any PCB work. It'll be when I get round to doing the XT60's that I'll be able to compare it to my other iron.

• Like 1

today I got my hands on a Rock Socker body for my FXT truck courtesy of @jonboy1 which meant finding some body posts which meant going through my crawler bits. One thing lead to another and I  spent half the afternoon designing a copycat Lada Niva pickup to be printed for the 3racing chassis I have

HnnmsLo.png?1

A lot of modelling ahead and about 60 hours of printing :blink:

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Hobgoblin said:

today I got my hands on a Rock Socker body for my FXT truck courtesy of @jonboy1 which meant finding some body posts which meant going through my crawler bits. One thing lead to another and I  spent half the afternoon designing a copycat Lada Niva pickup to be printed for the 3racing chassis I have

HnnmsLo.png?1

A lot of modelling ahead and about 60 hours of printing :blink:

With a truck that has flat panels (if they are), could you 3D print a monocoque and then glue flat styrene panels which have been cut by hand? Would it reduce the materials, print time and post-print sanding? Or would it be harder to make a rigid body that is easy to print?

Like the Niva!

• Like 1

Excellent ideas @Badcrumble the model I've done is actually very gently curved ( roof is still flat so I can mount things to it) but the cars are gloriously square and I'm sort of making a caricature of that aspect.

It might not save as much material or printing time as with panel gaps there will need to be support structures printed where there would be material anyway.  I will try and build up some details with sheet material for detail anyway. The body will be probably printed in two halves, cab and bed in HIPS. 

• Like 1

I did wonder @Hobgoblin, I have no 3D modelling / printing experience. I marvel at some of the 3D printed bodies from the likes of Mfab but they take a lot of sanding to get to where they can be painted. Looking forward to seeing the Niva develop! 

Spent another fruitless few hours trying to find some spare Comical Avante front dogbones. Modelsport say they aren't imported to the UK, Tony can perhaps get them in 3 months or so, the two engineering firms I have approached about making some have yet to get back to me and there don't seem to be any on eBay.

I have asked Tony to order me some, but in the mean time I am starting to contemplate silly things like getting some shorter dogbones, cutting them in half and extending them with some steel tube.

Had some time to run the oulaw rampage tonight. It was awesome. I had a Gens Ace LiPo that I had never used and ran it for the first time. It's waaaay faster than my old Orion Kokam cells, which I should probably recycle now...

Not today but yesterday. A day at work is not the best way to spend your birthday, but it sure got better after that.
I grabbed the Hornet and got it all out on the dandelions! :P

20200603-205501.jpg

20200603-205557.jpg

Than a nice home cooked meal and a few sweet desserts, including this:

20200602-233818.jpg

Wow, this is a yummy kit and I find that the shell is really beautiful. I can't wait to start the build (as usual I need a few more things before I can start).

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Spent another fruitless few hours trying to find some spare Comical Avante front dogbones. Modelsport say they aren't imported to the UK, Tony can perhaps get them in 3 months or so, the two engineering firms I have approached about making some have yet to get back to me and there don't seem to be any on eBay.

I have asked Tony to order me some, but in the mean time I am starting to contemplate silly things like getting some shorter dogbones, cutting them in half and extending them with some steel tube.

I think you're referring to part #50883. Tony's Tamiya Parts on eBay are showing 17 16 in stock (sorry, I just ordered a pair after breaking another one on the weekend!)

I also had the monumentally stupid idea to run 2 laps without the tray on my Dump Truck, resulting in snapping the rear body post mount (the bit on the chassis, not the bendy black bit). Perfect excuse to buy the clear chassis, right? No-one has any in stock. No-one has anything in stock, I needed a new 18T pinion for the Dump Truck, too. All in all an expensive and unsatisfying Sunday.

I have a substantial list of Tamiya parts I'll order when the world resumes some sense of normality. Which brings me to this quote from 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,' which I am currently reading to my daughter (mainly as an excuse to read it for the umpteenth time myself):

"Five to one against and falling ..." she said, "four to one against and falling ... three to one ... two
... one ... probability factor of one to one ... we have normality, I repeat we have normality." She turned her
microphone off - then turned it back on, with a slight smile and continued: "Anything you still can't cope
with is therefore your own problem."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

I think you're referring to part #50883. Tony's Tamiya Parts on eBay are showing 17 16 in stock (sorry, I just ordered a pair after breaking another one on the weekend!)

I also had the monumentally stupid idea to run 2 laps without the tray on my Dump Truck, resulting in snapping the rear body post mount (the bit on the chassis, not the bendy black bit). Perfect excuse to buy the clear chassis, right? No-one has any in stock. No-one has anything in stock, I needed a new 18T pinion for the Dump Truck, too. All in all an expensive and unsatisfying Sunday.

I have a substantial list of Tamiya parts I'll order when the world resumes some sense of normality. Which brings me to this quote from 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,' which I am currently reading to my daughter (mainly as an excuse to read it for the umpteenth time myself):

"Five to one against and falling ..." she said, "four to one against and falling ... three to one ... two
... one ... probability factor of one to one ... we have normality, I repeat we have normality." She turned her
microphone off - then turned it back on, with a slight smile and continued: "Anything you still can't cope
with is therefore your own problem."

I wish I was referring to the 39mm #50883 dogbones - they are easy to get hold of and I already have a few in my stash. However unfortunately I am referring to their 48mm siblings #19803236 that are hardly available anywhere. (Unless anyone knows different?)

14 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I wish I was referring to the 39mm #50883 dogbones - they are easy to get hold of and I already have a few in my stash. However unfortunately I am referring to their 48mm siblings #19803236 that are hardly available anywhere. (Unless anyone knows different?)

The Comical Avante runs on the GF01 platform - I'm confident that uses the 39mm dogbones. Have you done a wide conversion perhaps, and want non-standard ones?

25 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

The Comical Avante runs on the GF01 platform - I'm confident that uses the 39mm dogbones. Have you done a wide conversion perhaps, and want non-standard ones?

The Comical Avante runs on the GF-01CB platform, with slightly longer arms and dogbones than the non-CB GF-01. I need standard GF-01CB front dogbones.

• Like 1

Started my first build, a TT02B, after a 20 year hiatus. I've made up and placed the diff gears (not pictured). I don't want to press on too much until the aluminium prop joints arrive for the ends of the prop shaft. Fingers crossed they turn up soon. 

PSX_20200604_071837.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

The Comical Avante runs on the GF-01CB platform, with slightly longer arms and dogbones than the non-CB GF-01. I need standard GF-01CB front dogbones.

Interesting! I referred to https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm and they didn't list it as a separate chassis.

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I ran into this trouble trying to get the longer driveshafts for something else. They have a few different numbers for the same length, but i am 99% sure 51216 (reafily available) are what you need. They came on my TA06 and appear to be identical to the rear shafts on my comical hornet. 

6 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Not today but yesterday. A day at work is not the best way to spend your birthday, but it sure got better after that.
I grabbed the Hornet and got it all out on the dandelions! :P

20200603-205501.jpg

20200603-205557.jpg

You are a cruel man indeed..... :D

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I ran into this trouble trying to get the longer driveshafts for something else. They have a few different numbers for the same length, but i am 99% sure 51216 (reafily available) are what you need. They came on my TA06 and appear to be identical to the rear shafts on my comical hornet. 

I was just about to say I would bet they were used on a TA chassis (smug mode) ;) 

• Haha 1