Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I ran into this trouble trying to get the longer driveshafts for something else. They have a few different numbers for the same length, but i am 99% sure 51216 (reafily available) are what you need. They came on my TA06 and appear to be identical to the rear shafts on my comical hornet. 

At 45mm, #51216 is the right part for the rear, but due to the front track being slightly wider than the rear on the comical buggies, it is a bit short for the front. I have tried them - with extra O-rings in the drive cups, they can be made to more-or-less stay in place when under minimal load - but when loads increase, such as under heavy braking or climbing a hill for example, the minute amount of contact they have with the drive cups isn't enough to stop them clicking out of place.

The manual (https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300058678/300058678_Comical_Avante_GF-01CB.pdf) specifies 48mm #19803236 dogbones for the front, and it looks like these (or identical equivalents) are the bones I will need.

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

I was just about to say I would bet they were used on a TA chassis (smug mode) ;) 

And you would be right - the 48mm ones I am after were used on at least one version of the TA-05.

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Isn’t it the first listing under the Big Tyre models? Admittedly it is the Grasshopper version.

The Comical Grasshopper (and Hornet) are 2WD, and run the WR02CB platform, which is on that page.

The Comical Avante is the 4WD version, running the GF01 chassis. Although as @TurnipJF pointed out - it's a GF01CB variant that oddly isn't listed on that manual downloads page.

18 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

And you would be right - the 48mm ones I am after were used on at least one version of the TA-05.

Just measured a normal TA05 dogbone, 47mm pin-to-pin as below. Total length 50.4mm

I'm not sure how Tamiya measure dogbones, the one I was sure of (39mm for TL01) measured 38mm between pins :blink:

If these are any use to you I can stick a pair in the post.

20200604_101815.thumb.jpg.f90ca35f3efb3114d51cfb902fa0d5a0.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Just measured a normal TA05 dogbone, 47mm pin-to-pin as below. Total length 50.4mm

I'm not sure how Tamiya measure dogbones, the one I was sure of (39mm for TL01) measured 38mm between pins :blink:

That is very kind of you to offer. Unfortunately those would still be too short - I believe you have what Tamiya might call a 46mm dogbone there, measured pin centre to pin centre. Those were also used on some TA-05s I believe.

Still, the thought is very much appreciated!

A GF-01CB it is @lsear2905, so it is! Got it mixed up with the 2WD variant. Hopefully the website will get updated at some point.

One small Tamiya update for me today - added the front carbon damper stay to my M05-RA.

Picked up 2 new Servos for my Mugen MBX8T Worlds Edition Buggy. These are HV with specs of .06 speed and 30kg Torque. Full Billet case and 2 lengths of wire which plug into the servo. A 1/8 buggy IC uses 2 servos obviously so having 2 different length wires included is a nice little bonus. I’ve been using Xpert servos in my 1/8’s for a couple years now and absolutely love their performance and economy, so went all the way to the top of their range for these latest 2

49969332328_15c084a4a4_k.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

At 45mm, #51216 is the right part for the rear, but due to the front track being slightly wider than the rear on the comical buggies, it is a bit short for the front. I have tried them - with extra O-rings in the drive cups, they can be made to more-or-less stay in place when under minimal load - but when loads increase, such as under heavy braking or climbing a hill for example, the minute amount of contact they have with the drive cups isn't enough to stop them clicking out of place.

The manual (https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300058678/300058678_Comical_Avante_GF-01CB.pdf) specifies 48mm #19803236 dogbones for the front, and it looks like these (or identical equivalents) are the bones I will need.

Fair enough. Hadn't realised the 4WD had wider tracks at the front. 

7 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Why are is there a mirror on the vernier, is that so you can look at yourself as you measure things? 😄😄

57 minutes ago, Oneball1971 said:

Why are is there a mirror on the vernier, is that so you can look at yourself as you measure things? 😄😄

It's a Vanity Vernier!

It's actually a little solar panel, a bit like you have on a calculator. Hasn't let me down yet, I think it was a freebie offered by RCMart years ago!

• Haha 1

Bought another GF-01 kit, I feel like I have a slight problem now and sort of like a pigeon fancier but for this range of Tamiya models…

Got the top plate done and added another layer of mesh to the Mad Bull body. 

28B6E54F-8191-41C4-A9DB-FCEA9F6760FC.jpeg

4DFF9AB2-9D56-444D-B2E7-3095AD79B3E1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just made another order on RCMart, 100 USD worth of bits, pieces and particles for my cars. This will get me closer to being able to begin my Terra Scorcher build, though I just can't seem to be able to decide for a color scheme. In this case I find that Tamiya totally aced it with their box art, that color scheme is hard to beat unless you swap those super yellow CVAs for something else....which I just might....aaah what a rabbit hole!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's not gone well..... 

20200604_203458

Still, carbon shock tower to buy now. Car is horrendously oversteery off throttle with renewed 2 mill oil in the front diff. Think i am going to thin it down a bit and try and make the handling a bit friendlier. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That's not gone well..... 

20200604_203458

Still, carbon shock tower to buy now. Car is horrendously oversteery off throttle with renewed 2 mill oil in the front diff. Think i am going to thin it down a bit and try and make the handling a bit friendlier. 

Ouch!! Has that broken the wheel as well?

You know things are getting bad when the wife starts complaining that there's cars everywhere.

My To-do rc list is pretty extreme so I need to start chipping away at some of the items on it!

Today I took my dad's TL01 apart, re-greased it and switched to ball bearings. Removed the MSC and servo and installed a vintage ESC. I also upgraded the motor to a Yokomo 27T whilst I was at it.

20200604_214530.thumb.jpg.406f2a82aad75e76ea73f896fcd06b87.jpg

Felt bad stripping out what was a really neat wiring job, but it's definitely a more user-friendly car now. All ready for a responsible socially-distanced collection:

20200604_215003.thumb.jpg.aaab4cc5825c68aa94f7dca434bdbeb3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The Comical Avante runs on the GF-01CB platform, with slightly longer arms and dogbones than the non-CB GF-01. I need standard GF-01CB front dogbones.

When I used the CB arms on my dynarun non portal runner I had issue with the 51216 shafts popping out at the front, ok at the rear but not for steering.

Fixed it with 3 o rings, one at the wheel and two at the chassis end. I'm only running a Tamiya BZ though and a softish spring setup. A set of these longer shafts would be ideal!

@TurnipJF

Installed some lights in the Clod and sticker bombed the chassis and body with "sponsorship deals" (BTW I'm the $pon$or ;) )

49971953463_565af6abf9_b.jpg 49971953433_b4f5f7961d_b.jpg

• Like 5

Photographed this as it is my next auction lot to go- a cool project and very tempting to keep it 😉

7-DD2-EFC4-A391-4-E75-9-AC0-FE0460-A79-B

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Just made another order on RCMart, 100 USD worth of bits, pieces and particles for my cars. This will get me closer to being able to begin my Terra Scorcher build, though I just can't seem to be able to decide for a color scheme. In this case I find that Tamiya totally aced it with their box art, that color scheme is hard to beat unless you swap those super yellow CVAs for something else....which I just might....aaah what a rabbit hole!

Hah! Are you the one that ordered that last set of body post foam rings? I was on RCmart at the same time making a 200 dollar order for various DF03 bits and bobs for my shelf queen/light runner build.

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Hah! Are you the one that ordered that last set of body post foam rings? I was on RCmart at the same time making a 200 dollar order for various DF03 bits and bobs for my shelf queen/light runner build.

Not guilty! I've oder parts for Terra Scorcher and Manta Ray, it wasn't me.

Had a very chuffed moment when I logged on and randomly my Boomerang was the featured header image :D

1817803255_Screenshot2020-06-05at12_51_00.png.2e12ec60407434ea11d5cff666f13bff.png

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Had a very chuffed moment when I logged on and randomly my Boomerang was the featured header image :D

1817803255_Screenshot2020-06-05at12_51_00.png.2e12ec60407434ea11d5cff666f13bff.png

Not surprised, very nice!!

• Thanks 1