Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:56 AM, Badcrumble said:

Aha! Thank you! I am a fool! I had been concentrating on the need for longer screws and for some reason thought they went at the back! Totally overlooked the A7 part. I knew something wasn't right!!!

This is the correction page. 

20200619_171236.jpg

1 hour ago, Hairyjon313 said:

This is the correction page. 

20200619_171236.jpg

Thank you @Hairyjon313. Now where did I put that A sprue...?

Ordered more (essential, honest guv!) parts for the M05-RA today. And some for my JK trail rig. And a future CR-01 build. 
Then realised I’d forgotten to buy damper oil for my new dampers. D’oh!

9 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

that's amazing! is that all paint???!!!! 

All paint with faskolor and auto air colors.

I’ve also a Roland cutter but this time I’ve cut all the lettering into the liquid mask. Too much layers of colors.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stuhas said:

They were from RCMart and only 3 weeks delivery, Not bad from HK. They were fairly easy to put together and everything went together very easily and no issues. They included 5 sets of springs with different ratings. All colour coded and range from Super Soft to Super Hard. I went for the super soft springs but its very easy to swap out if you want a harder ride. I haven't run it yet and with this weather may be a few days before i can, There are easy to work out instructions they are Just an exploded view with everything marked.  Would definitely recommend and at approx £20 a bargain, but dont forget to add on shipping. I always try to add a number of items to my orders so the shipping is worth while.

20200619_124434_resized.jpg

20200619_122226_resized.jpg

20200619_122346_resized.jpg

To add my 2 cents, I found their springs too stiff to be usable.  

I ended up keeping the gold and silver Tamiya springs for M06.  

The fit of plastic parts were not exactly precise.  Piston rods wouldn't fit the plastic pistons. I had to widen the holes a bit.   

The red sponge was quite hard. That prevented upper diaphragms from moving, hydro-locking the piston movement.  I had to leave out the red sponges.   

oM26QNk.jpg

I have 30 year old Tamiya yellow CVA shocks on a vintage Fox working just fine.  I don't know if these will last as long as Tamiya shocks.  But from what other members say, it sounds like some parts will be interchangeable with Tamiya parts.  I like them well enough, I bought another set for M05Ra.  

IJKTz3X.jpg

• Like 3

Pondered a colour scheme for my forthcoming M-08 MX5 build, decided on this one:

mazda-miata-30th-anniversary-001.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I removed the first set of items (and others not shown) and continued adding bling to my "deep" impact...

More bling on the way, including hopup DF03 shocks of course, and other stuff.

IMG_20200620_030212.jpg

IMG_20200620_030421.jpg

IMG_20200620_030335.jpg

IMG_20200620_031033.jpg

IMG_20200620_030240.jpg

• Like 4

FWIW, the Shock Gear dampers have worked well for me. I am using them on a heavy Konghead, so that might be why. I built them with Tamiya red o-rings instead of the stock clear o-rings. I can't remember if they have stock oil, or Tamiya yellow oil.

Finally ran the Super Astute. I haven't fitted the hi caps or finished the body yet but its been wet for so long i haven't runanything in ages. It goes really well. Quick and nimble on a Super Stock TZ. It was tail happy if I wasn't careful but I will worry about that when I fit tye hi caps.

The only thing is it doesn't jump, the front end just points to the ground. Any ideas of how to improve the jumping?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Finally ran the Super Astute. I haven't fitted the hi caps or finished the body yet but its been wet for so long i haven't runanything in ages. It goes really well. Quick and nimble on a Super Stock TZ. It was tail happy if I wasn't careful but I will worry about that when I fit tye hi caps.

The only thing is it doesn't jump, the front end just points to the ground. Any ideas of how to improve the jumping?

Does it respond to throttle inputs in the air, ie gas it mid jump to bring the nose up?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Does it respond to throttle inputs in the air, ie gas it mid jump to bring the nose up?

Doesn't seem to. Being rear motor i started overthinking whether it needs to be reversed to bring the nose up, but I don't think so. The only other 2wd buggies I can really compare it to are my race buggies, which run 4 gear stand-up mid motor trans. But they don't respond to throttle input as much as 4wd, I think the wheels have more to do with it than the motor since the Top Force has a sideways motor anx the HB418 has a longitudinal motor and they work the same.

27 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Doesn't seem to. Being rear motor i started overthinking whether it needs to be reversed to bring the nose up, but I don't think so. The only other 2wd buggies I can really compare it to are my race buggies, which run 4 gear stand-up mid motor trans. But they don't respond to throttle input as much as 4wd, I think the wheels have more to do with it than the motor since the Top Force has a sideways motor anx the HB418 has a longitudinal motor and they work the same.

Maybe try thicker shock oil in the rear to reduce rebound as it leaves the ramp, or stay on throttle longer as it launches to torque the nose up?

• Like 1

This morning I fitted a couple if upgrade parts to my new Arrma Kraton.

This afternoon visited my parents and my mum told me my dad had brought a load of stuff down from the loft.

Hoping to find my original Blackfoot body I had a look through.

Alas, no Blackfoot body but there was my vintage Millennium Falcon, X-Wing and Y-Wing. A load of He-Man figures with Castle Greyskull and Snake Mountain.

Also tucked away in a box were these...qSB9wrKBHqsb5MTuRSG6X7_jH1mS1x7K0Br4o9G8

Mini F1 Williams FW14 and Mini 4wd Avante 2001 and Black Special. Both Avantes have the one-way roller wheels with foam tyres.

• Like 5

Simply the funnest runner! Especially with the stock tires on pavement. They’re basically smoothies now and great for jamming around 😛

115E762A-2D17-48F8-AF0D-BFDDC002C686.jpeg

• Like 4

Fitted a £14 planetary gearbox to my 3 racing ex real crawler. Lets me use a slightly faster motor and increases torque, it may well eat itself but it should be quite fun before it does! 

XhHnaHf.jpg?1

MTWRQmk.jpg?1

• Like 3

MB1.thumb.jpg.02d2ab604f1f5e5c0d5ab3fb450c3ff9.jpg

Got the Monster Beetle body painted Lime Green Metallic..  Might look a little like Christmas with the gold rims, red chassy, and green body.

I've got another idea for a paint job using gold and translucent orange.  I'd like to recreate that Sunset Orange Metallic that was on the 01-02 Camaro and the C6 Corvette.  I'm not sure what kit to buy to try it out on.  Any ideas for a hard-body kit to build?  I already have a Wild Willy 2, this Monster Beetle that I'm building, and my buddy has a Subaru Brat.  Not interested in a Clodbuster.  What else is there?

EDIT:  Ok, other hard body kits are Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, and the rereBlackfoot?  Are there any others?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

Fitted a £14 planetary gearbox to my 3 racing ex real crawler. Lets me use a slightly faster motor and increases torque, it may well eat itself but it should be quite fun before it does! 

XhHnaHf.jpg?1

MTWRQmk.jpg?1

Nice crawler! I like the rear shocks orientation.

Had some good Tamiya time today, after a few days with no RC history.

The GT Tuned I recently installed on the Hornet had something wrong, so I decided to take it apart for a good clean up. The amount of filth packed inside that can was, well... uncanny! :o I wish I could take a photo but my hands were way too dirty, that filth somehow expanding on the workbench/picnic table like a black hole while I was working at it. 

Brushed, blew and cleaned the rotor and pretty much everything else with WD40, dried it up, smeared with motor oil and cloth cleaned again. 

20200619-191223.jpg

Back on the road, the motor performed much better, but was unbelievably silent and, believe me or not, my NiMh battery pack lasted over an hour :blink: I was happy about this unexpected, everlasting pack, but I don't really know how to explain it. Maybe I left too much oil residue inside the motor and that helped keeping temperatures and friction down, which would also explain the noise decrease, probably (definitely) at the price of losing some RPMs due to the extra drag?

It was fun anyway, and if it keeps lasting this long now I can go jogging with the Hornet without having to worry about it running out of power.

A few hops with the GT Tuned 

20200614-220946.jpg

Screenshot-20200614-220500-Video-Player.

On another note, the whole process of opening and cleaning the motor was witnessed by my by now loyal friend Munchy, which kept sticking around waiting for me to feed him some treats as I would usually do. This time I was too focused on the job though, so, feeling neglected, at some point he decided to try and help himself to the open can of crunchies nearby. I'm glad I managed to sneak a shot of his adorable attempt. It broke my heart, I had to drop everything and go feed him his well deserved treats (I was almost done anyway).

20200618-005159.jpg

Gotta love the Munch...

• Like 9

On 6/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, SupraChrgd82 said:

50024485701_298a6da799_b.jpg

I’m beginning to think I can no longer call myself a proper Tamiya enthusiast, as none of my cars have any blue bits on them 🤔

They sure do look pretty though...

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:53 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Finally ran the Super Astute. 

Is your ramps surface flat? Maybe a curved one would throw the nose up a bit? 
Just a thought. 

• Like 2

spacer.pngspacer.png 

Fitted ally rear suspension links and barrel springs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I’m beginning to think I can no longer call myself a proper Tamiya enthusiast, as none of my cars have any blue bits on them 🤔

They sure do look pretty though...

Get some blue wheel hexes - cheapest bling and actually improves the car!

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Is your ramps surface flat? Maybe a curved one would throw the nose up a bit? 
Just a thought. 

Yes they are flat, just plywood. Could make new ones with curves, could buy a giant sheet and justify my new ute...

Curved ones would help I think, it compresses the springs a bit and helps them launch. The race cars and Boomerang and Top Force all jump fine off them though. Unless my son is driving, then they seem to end up in the garden with surprising regularity 

• Like 1

Doing some mock-up for a semi-crawler with a M-05 chassis that is converted to rear wheel drive, and an old body.
Final body will be polycarbonate from team Bluegroove, with lighting. ^_^

xivpYcr.jpg

5Sj6oVs.jpg

Ordered some different shocks and servo horn, so I can continue at a later time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Peter_B said:

This morning I fitted a couple if upgrade parts to my new Arrma Kraton.

This afternoon visited my parents and my mum told me my dad had brought a load of stuff down from the loft.

Hoping to find my original Blackfoot body I had a look through.

Alas, no Blackfoot body but there was my vintage Millennium Falcon, X-Wing and Y-Wing. A load of He-Man figures with Castle Greyskull and Snake Mountain.

Also tucked away in a box were these...qSB9wrKBHqsb5MTuRSG6X7_jH1mS1x7K0Br4o9G8

Mini F1 Williams FW14 and Mini 4wd Avante 2001 and Black Special. Both Avantes have the one-way roller wheels with foam tyres.

Oooohhhh ... Special edition clear chassis... very cool. Love the vintage tune up parts, too. Recently discovered the Facebook page of easy_east in Indonesia where these kinds of of vintage parts are still highly respected.