Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Nice crawler! I like the rear shocks orientation.

Thanks! its just a slightly awkward arangement I built up on the fly. I really like flat bed/pickup trucks and unfortunatly most crawler designs don't lend themselves too well to those, I always feel they sit way too high on the chassis to accommodate shock towers etc. 

VUCIjcC.jpg?1

This is a pretty horrible way of doing it, but it works decently well, I have some good travel and the desired low profile. Hopefully I can test on a trail soon!

• Like 5

Started on MUDMAD - body 1st. 

50028846443_36b902c049_b.jpg  

ta-da! These preprinted shells with precut wheel arches are great. 

Sticker #29 is white stripes for the wheels, the wheels have a lot of little faux wheel nuts which make a tricky job difficult (for me anyway).

50029772992_c38af32829_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

Thanks! its just a slightly awkward arangement I built up on the fly. I really like flat bed/pickup trucks and unfortunatly most crawler designs don't lend themselves too well to those, I always feel they sit way too high on the chassis to accommodate shock towers etc. 

VUCIjcC.jpg?1

This is a pretty horrible way of doing it, but it works decently well, I have some good travel and the desired low profile. Hopefully I can test on a trail soon!

The rocker is a nice idea like an IFS. But isn't that red rocker too short to make the damper travel fully?

• Like 1

Bodywork all but finished, just waiting for a couple of magnetic body mounts to turn up to try out.

20200621_163144_resized.thumb.jpg.71b2a8a9d162cb9d8c7db49c0c98078f.jpg20200621_162609_resized.thumb.jpg.8e8218dbd84e150dd997ca13b0620539.jpg20200621_163131_resized.thumb.jpg.6ea92ed7a470620231a31dfb05f65a51.jpg

• Like 15

Ran the hornet at the local skate park. I need more practice as this was more spectacular than expected!  Still in one piece though. Taking the basher next time!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stuhas said:

Bodywork all but finished, just waiting for a couple of magnetic body mounts to turn up to try out.

20200621_163144_resized.thumb.jpg.71b2a8a9d162cb9d8c7db49c0c98078f.jpg20200621_162609_resized.thumb.jpg.8e8218dbd84e150dd997ca13b0620539.jpg20200621_163131_resized.thumb.jpg.6ea92ed7a470620231a31dfb05f65a51.jpg

Beautiful!

How did the decals go in? Any quirks or tricks to finishing the body?

I have one on the bench that I'm hoping will come out as pristinely. Any tips are welcomed.

36 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Beautiful!

How did the decals go in? Any quirks or tricks to finishing the body?

I have one on the bench that I'm hoping will come out as pristinely. Any tips are welcomed.

Thanks. All i can say is take your time. Cut carefully and best tip is to use a hairdryer especially with the curves on medium heat but not too powerful. was a great help.

I picked up this curious device today along with a Super Champ.

Someone has taken an early short wheel arch Ranger body, and grafted it onto a crawler chassis, along with some led lights on the back, and some rather well fitted headlights, all of which appear to work. The interior has been scratch built.

Not sure what to do with this one...

J

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

16 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Get some blue wheel hexes - cheapest bling and actually improves the car! 

Then I’d need clear wheels too so you can see them 😉

• Haha 4

Located the errant A7 part for my M05-RA and installed it. Build is back on track!

Just ready to stall again as I get to where I need to cut and paint a body...

Bit of cutting, bit of sticking, bit of swearing, but got there in the end.

IMG_20200622_184730.jpg

• Like 1

Took my Kraton for its maiden run. Only on 4S because I'm not a lunatic!

Kraton ran fine, no issues other than lack of driving skills. But I didn't get to find out how long 2x 5000mah 2S packs would run for.

My boys brought their cars along, Mad Bull and Super Hotshot.

The Mad Bull did what a Mad Bull does - took everything thrown at it and kept on truckin'.

The Super Hotshot didn't dare as well. Within 5 minutes 2 of the screws had fallen out of the bumper and vanished. We were in a grassy place with nothing much to hit so the bumper was removed completely.

10 minutes later and my lad is in floods. The bottom ball joint had ripped clean out of the front upright and both front driveshafts had disappeared.

I think the SHS will have to be shelved and kept for the track.

My other lad is also disappointed that the Mad Bull doesn't jump.

So I'm on the lookout for a couple (boys are twins so I can't just get one) of relatively inexpensive RTR bashers.

Of course both boys want a Kraton but that's not happening!!

I've been looking at the FTX Carnage 2.0, although one boy quite likes the BSD Prime Assault and the other took a fancy to the Maverick Strada XT.

I know nothing about any of those brands though so don't know how well they are put together.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

ve been looking at the FTX Carnage 2.0

Just putting my 2p worth in, having had a couple of FTX vehicles in the past (Vantage). I genuinely like them and their business model, they're like a pocket money traxxas. They are super easy to drive and are durable for a given value of durability. What i mean by this is they have weak points that you will find very quickly but the right things break and guess what, they're incredibly easy to upgrade.  Spare parts are really available from places like modelsport where you can get super fast dispatch and postage. 

Say you clip a post or land poorly, you aren't going to break wishbones or uprights,  you snap a little plastic suspension holder which is £1.80 and can be installed with one size of allen key and about ten minutes. There's an aluminium version of this part for about a tenner. Spur gears are peanuts. That's my price point for upgrade. The consumables of a basher RC car are very reasonably priced . There's often a choice between carbon fibre and aluminium for upgrades too which is nice.  Plus there's a few body options, with the beetle, the truck and the buggy being direct fits for the chassis. Might help with the twin thing!

What I can't comment on is the electrics as the first thing i did was fit mine out with my preferred brands. They seem to be very passable for entry level systems at the very least - though i'd look at maybe a metal gear servo.  If I could have a car to run guilt free  I'd probably get a carnage and just keep messing about with shimming fettling and upgrading. 

(PS they seem to have a decent second hand market too, so if they don't pass muster you might not loose too much on the investment) 

• Like 1

Finally got my parts order today for the Konghead- slowness all down to me.

So fitted them this evening and I will aim to fit and set up the new radio gear.

Went Wild round the garden this morning, I can see why these and FAV's are so popular Tamiya did a great job with these buggy's, they are a very enjoyable drive with the flighty front end powered by a 13.5t brushless, TBLE-02 ESC.

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

The dog even got some exercise 

Yidew2STTdK1p6Ubpf5Y8g.jpg

Rounded off with a coffee and nanna nap before nightshift this arvo...

EI84lAvT2u0jjBJMvi6Eg.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Peter_B said:

So I'm on the lookout for a couple (boys are twins so I can't just get one) of relatively inexpensive RTR bashers.

Arrma do the little granite voltage now with a 1800mah rtr, my LHS has two of them, and was thinking about a couple of comicals for the kids, (same price) but these are rtr and probably more robust. 

Ran my first lipo today! The venom 4000 20c 2s. Wow!! 45+ minute run time and not really any drop in performance throughout that time. 

46E2783D-122B-4779-BDDC-1874E83E596A.jpeg

• Like 4

Ordered yet one more hop up for my Manta Ray. I'm starting to lose count of how many are slowly moving across the globe towards me, so I made a list in order not to forget.

Meanwhile, this morning our mail box was clogged with multiple packages, six small ones and a medium one. I thought "Hey! Finally! This smells like Tamiya hop ups!"

Turns out six small packages were for my wife (various ppl's takes kmon covid masks).. and so was the medium one.

Bummed <_<:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Finally got around to finishing my egress runner.

Monster racer rebuild and upgrade next on the list

20200623_142639.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, DGunn1 said:

Finally got around to finishing my egress runner.

Monster racer rebuild and upgrade next on the list

20200623_142639.jpg

Loving that colour! :wub: 

• Like 1