Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

Just kidding, but it makes me wonder how it would feel to drive a top end car like Schumacher Cat, Egress or Turbo Optima. I'm sure they are amazing, but I just can't ever have enough of that unpredictable, bouncy feeling of a Hornet.

I was at the end of a wet, lazy afternoon paved with a few beers at this point but, before packing up, I decided to cast the Manta shell on the Hornet just to see what a Mantnet (or HorRay) would look like and well I guess it would look like this :wacko: 

20200628-203303.jpg

Pretty funny huh :lol: feels like the ultimate knockoff.... so why does it look somehow, almost ok to me?

That does kind of work, a bit like the St Dragon or some of those special bodysets that used to be available (and are coming back?)

Why not get a secondhand race kit to compare? I bet you'd find a heap of Associated B64's or B6.1 around for a good price...

• Like 2

I picked up some slightly oddball falcon wheels today

dRh4CAG.jpg?1

Foam tires, bit of a novelty! 

2DYNVmI.jpg?1

I test printed a revised shock tower and fitted Tamiya CVA to my hobbyworld A07/Mad Fighter hybrid.

I also got some nice finger burns from casting huge carbon bearings at work. 180 degree heated tooling ain't no joke! 

• Like 3

My next project arrived today after being adrift in Hermes land for a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to get started on cleaning it up and seeing what I've got to work with.

Many parts will be needed so if anyone has a prop shaft, wing mount, tyres, bodyshell or anything else that might help let me know!

20200629_214431.thumb.jpg.86b94ed44faa12c4e5ac2a68d270a8f7.jpg

• Like 2

Managed to put a different motor in my mk1 sandscorcher and do the steering mod to try and improve the steering which has sort of worked so I'm kind of happy now

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Clod almost complete. Definitely not my favorite build or really enjoyable. I can say I already prefer my txt to this.

91413D68-C897-4E0D-A29A-DF0854C5B0FF.jpeg

A lil black enamel on the non-Tamiya bits would look fine on your rather nice Clod Buster ;)

On 6/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, metalheadDad said:

Finished phase one of my basement hobby corner.

IMG_20200628_164556.jpg

Good job! What a nice place to work on the cars! :yuju:

5 hours ago, BOARDRIDER said:

My next project arrived today after being adrift in Hermes land for a couple of weeks.

20200629_214431.thumb.jpg.86b94ed44faa12c4e5ac2a68d270a8f7.jpg

Nice chassis! Looks FAST! :yeah2:

• Like 1

Today I got copious amounts of sand in my shoes...

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

Us0uVSRBJQLcehPut6A.jpg

The SandPaw rear tyres are a great improvement over the Proline Trenchers on my white rims for Beach duty. I actually prefer the orange wheels from @ThunderDragonCy on there, Cheers Bud ;)

This thing has gone from the kit  Silver Can, TEU 104 BK ESC with NiMH to TBLE 02 ESC, Sport Tuned, NiMH then 2S LiPo, now on Hobbywing 1060 ESC, 13.5T HW Quicrun on 2s. Its been fun upgrading along the way to compare differences for myself. I'm thinking a 3s LiPo upgrade next.....after all its just human nature to want a bit more isn't it? :)

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I'm thinking a 3s LiPo upgrade next.....after all its just human nature to want a bit more isn't it? :)

3S is the way to go. Much faster way of finding weaknesses on the chassis :lol:

I notice your location, not sure if you have a HobbyKing warehouse that serves you? I recently bought this 3S LiPo which fits most of my Tamiya cars designed for traditional round-case packs. The only issue is where the wires exit the pack, sometimes this doesn't work with the battery retainers.

Turnigy Nano-Tech 3.0

• Like 2

Thanks @ChrisRx718,  I think the wire exit on those packs could be a bit of a problem looking at it. Sand is certainly energy sapping stuff to need 3s!!  I haven't bought from Hobbyking but I they do service Australia. I'm sure the Hobbyshop where I got my 2s from and fits other cars would likely have a 3s version of the same, 

E77772D6-48A2-41B0-9DE4-9BC187E7AFB9.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Thanks @ChrisRx718,  I think the wire exit on those packs could be a bit of a problem looking at it. Sand is certainly energy sapping stuff to need 3s!!  I haven't bought from Hobbyking but I they do service Australia. I'm sure the Hobbyshop where I got my 2s from and fits other cars would likely have a 3s version of the same, 

E77772D6-48A2-41B0-9DE4-9BC187E7AFB9.jpg

Them Gens Ace are good Batterys and you can get them in 3S .and 4S as well .

Perth RC has them , but i'm sure most hobby shops in Aus would .

What ya going to put it in Re-Bugged 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, matman said:

Them Gens Ace are good Batterys and you can get them in 3S .and 4S as well .

Perth RC has them , but i'm sure most hobby shops in Aus would .

What ya going to put it in Re-Bugged 

Cheers, It would be for the Stadium Blitzer for bigger sand roosting :), it was that @Wooders28, @nowinaminute 's fault  (among others!) that started it with bonkers 3s sand bashers B)

I believe a 6s lunchbox isn't unheard of around this Global Village either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Cheers, It would be for the Stadium Blitzer for bigger sand roosting :), it was that @Wooders28, @nowinaminute 's fault  (among others!) that started it with bonkers 3s sand bashers B)

I had a 3s lunchbox and it went bonkers.

today I have prepared a 3s FF03 speed run try.

the poor FF03 is already beaten up, has more slop then a NIB Tamiya kit, but it is now a all or nothing shot.

last time on two S it reached 82kmh. I am wondering will it survive this time.

the gearing on 82kmh was 35/68, now we have on 3s 36/65 both in 48p

also after on the last try with 51/80 0.4 gearing the FF03 failed because the tires balooned and broke the Honda body on the sides.

now we have a MazdaSpeed6 body, and I gave it a try on two S this morning, much much better handling.

7q2ztSk.jpg
R51Xiep.jpg

sQv3NEs.jpg
RLu2hhe.jpg

3s on a TBLE01 8T Tamiya Combo.

• Like 4

Clod complete except for the body, i have to admit i am not a fan. I knew all the issues going in too just doesnt compare to my txt 2. I am selling it and listed on numerous group and ebay  

BC681348-81CE-47F0-BA4A-C1A15ABCB87F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Q7LZg4x.gif

mNr8MDc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:51 PM, mman2005 said:

Loving that colour! :wub: 

Thanks all, was a bit sceptical at first, but once the stickers were applied I'm pretty happy with it, will almost be a shame to run it when the weather improves. Knowing my luck, I'll flip it in the first few mins and scratch it to badword!

• Haha 1

The DF02 continues to frustrate me, despite me spending copious amounts on it (that I’d rather not think about)

I think I’ve figured out why we won’t see the Aero Avante appear on a TT02B also, despite the dimensions of both being so similar and sharing all other body shells between them (exception being Dual Ridge).

Check out my clearance issues on the “nose” of the body with my aftermarket front damper tower.

This has necessitated the purchase of a different version also made by GPM, but which will hopefully clear the body :rolleyes:

Estimated arrival? 21st August :lol:

A8FBCC93-5F47-4445-94A0-81ACC7B6F126.jpeg

E0E671EC-F0C5-4D69-843B-922083438827.jpeg

• Like 1

Regarding the FF03 post, top speed on 3s was 107kmh. It is amazing what a difference it makes to run on 3s and 2s a on road car. 

also the body improved the steering a-lot, lighter car on higher speeds seems to be easier to maneuver.

No pictures or video unfortunately. Next try will be documented in the speed run thread.

Edit:

here after I came home the GPS as still on.

jvd8dds.jpg

• Like 2

Just impulse bought 4 pairs of Eagle 8410 1.9" tires on the bay, couldn't let that go for 10 usd a pair... it seems that they sold like hot cakes, but if you are interested there's currently still two pairs available

13 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Clod complete except for the body, i have to admit i am not a fan. I knew all the issues going in too just doesnt compare to my txt 2. I am selling it and listed on numerous group and ebay  

If those wheels are Tamiya you can remove the smoke off the chrome with a piece of cotton and nail polish. Super easy job.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:33 PM, mtbkym01 said:

Ordered a 3Racing MG M Chassis kit to sit under my runner Frewer branded Mini Cooper shell

So the Interstate hobby shop I ordered this from phoned today and it appears they have no stock, and no eta on re-stocks. I’ve managed to get the 4wd M4 sport as an alternative for no additional outlay, will mean I’ll have to look at body post location, and probably will have to drill new holes in the body I’ve already got, but that’s ok, I’m sure I’ve got some options to use on the sheet that @yogi-bear sent to me 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I've always wanted a Clodbuster and came close to buying the new Black Edition last month, but for the money the kit just isn't worth it in my opinion.  It was impressive for its time back in the 80's and early 90's but now it just pales in comparison to what else is out there.  I'm actually surprised they still sell it after all these years.  I just got back into this hobby out of boredom due to the pandemic and after looking around at other offerings at similar price points, the Clod just doesn't measure up.  The kit is still relatively unchanged aside for some minor cosmetic differences, but the price is still steep for what little you get.  I feel its grossly overpriced for what it is. I know people love it and it continues to sell, but this kit should have been updated years ago.  I'll probably catch some heat here for bashing the Clod so I'll just stop with my opinion...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Painted the body for my zahhak!

5035FE1D-ED53-4650-8142-F4E4FF0FE2DD.jpeg

Is this Tamiya Paint PS16? I think I used the same one on my F103 TRG body, such a lovely color.

2 hours ago, Flare65 said:

I've always wanted a Clodbuster and came close to buying the new Black Edition last month, but for the money the kit just isn't worth it in my opinion.  It was impressive for its time back in the 80's and early 90's but now it just pales in comparison to what else is out there.  I'm actually surprised they still sell it after all these years.  I just got back into this hobby out of boredom due to the pandemic and after looking around at other offerings at similar price points, the Clod just doesn't measure up.  The kit is still relatively unchanged aside for some minor cosmetic differences, but the price is still steep for what little you get.  I feel its grossly overpriced for what it is. I know people love it and it continues to sell, but this kit should have been updated years ago.  I'll probably catch some heat here for bashing the Clod so I'll just stop with my opinion...

I hear you. It is indeed overpriced. But everybody knows that's in the company's DNA.

Now, Tamiya released how many four or five other monster trucks to choose from. Most these kits still sell for people to take parts from it or making customization. I've yet to see anywhere one of these trucks without any modifications, which to my eye is a very unfortunate thing. People doesn't love the Clod Buster for what it is, and very few know how to use the stock servo savers to make it steer so you get the usual "you'll need a TON capable servo for the Clod", which of course isn't the case. As you say, the Clod Buster in the 80's was the greatest. Of course you can not compare it to any modern standards, Emmax or whatever. It's a thing of beauty to enjoy for what it is (an old design, more aptly called "classic" to resemble some real 1986 monster truck), and for what it was back in the day (the most impressive piece of RC kit available from a company that, yeah, makes crazy expensive stuff).

Perhaps you can find some used Clod for better money?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flare65 said:

Every body is entitled to an opinion! And I must admit I'm not a total fan of the clod even back in it's original days! Don't get me wrong it's a stunning looking truck true to the 80s monster trucks but it kinda let's it self down a bit when it bounces around but looks the part In slow motion it's a bit like the bruiser chassis of trucks they look amazing but performance is a bit dodgy when its rattling around the garden! But I could sit and look at them all day long because they just look amazing 

• Like 2