Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Packed and sent out the recently sold Super Champ yesterday.

Back down to 12 cars which is good, pondering over another potential sale and purchase at the moment. 

I’m might move a wheelie along as I have 5, 2 which are waiting to be built and then replace it with the M05 chassis I would like to buy. 

• Like 1

Not have done but planning to do. My 6yr old has an RC session tomorrow with a friend who has just got an RC for his birthday.

I don't know what this lad has but I'm told it is '4x4 but doesn't run well on grass' so I'm guessing it is toy-grade. 

I'm debating whether to run the WW2, a Dual Hunter or the TL01 Bowler as there could be some tarmac / hard trail action. 

I might even take more than one. Whichever goes, I can't be too precious given the drivers!

Better charge those NiMH this evening...

EDIT: have located

- charger and batteries.

- Hornet, ESC, rx and tx

- WW-02 - needs a motor swap

- XV-01T - rear body post not attached. Really?!!!!

Haven’t gone through enough boxes to find a working Dual Hunter or the TL-01 Bowler yet!

• Like 2

I am currently installing an aluminum lower arm bulkhead which replaces the plastic one on my Deep Impact, and I'm very impressed with its fit and finish. According to the little baggy it came with, it's from eracingpro.com. I got it from eBay. While I'm in there I'm also replacing the dogbones with CVDs. I'm probably going too far for a shelf queen, but this is what I find fun.1593795682430493611746405881682.thumb.jpg.c5aade8fa86a80bd76f03688f83bcb47.jpg

• Like 3

Chopped the body a bit and fitted wheels to the Sad Fighter

F8QUCR3.jpg?1

masked and got the black painted on my Blitzer/Socker body

JN4AqTy.jpg?1

9Ny89v5.jpg?1

More to come... Although the pink is a bit too soft I think, I should have gone for the florescent I think :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

EDIT: have located

- charger and batteries.

- Hornet, ESC, rx and tx

- WW-02 - needs a motor swap

- XV-01T - rear body post not attached. Really?!!!!

Haven’t gone through enough boxes to find a working Dual Hunter or the TL-01 Bowler yet!

Updated to

- Charged three batteries

- realised that WW2 doesn't need a motor swap as I had done it before it's last run

- located the last Dual Hunter that isn't in bits

- swapped the kid's rx into said Dual Hunter

- put rx for full-size handset into the WW2

- put the XV-01T back for another day

- found some more AmPro upgrades for the Hornet that I had totally forgotten about

- took out the shell I painted for the Hornet last summer that I have yet to decal

- tidied away what isn't going out to play tomorrow

Now hoping the rain we have at the moment goes somewhere else....

I took a spin with the Manta Ray. Had a lot of fun👍

20200703-205638.jpg

20200703-205652.jpg

Screenshot-20200701-223020-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20200701-223923-Video-Player.

20200703-205917.jpg

20200703-210303.jpg

20200703-211116.jpg

20200703-205707.jpg

Screenshot-20200703-203538-Video-Player.

20200703-211435.jpg

Screenshot-20200703-210546-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20200701-223944-Video-Player.

• Like 8

Afternoon garden bash with monster trucks turned in to a bit of a test drive session. 

It’s been so long since I’ve run some of these, it was nice to remind myself why I still keep them :)

CFF7-DFED-41-F9-4-FAC-A2-AC-93-FC8172-C7

• Like 14

Our RC meet-up didn't quite go to plan but the Dual Hunter got a good run and gave two six year olds some grins.

IMG_20200704_145527_1.jpg

The Carson Start tx proved it's worth in their small paws.

Afterwards, the others wished they'd let me run the WW2.

• Like 5

Almost finished just the decals and driver figure! What I'm a tiny tiny bit miffed about is the first avante BS came with bonus parts and esc this one came with nothing and it cost more! Still an absolute stunning car though!

20200704_164508.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Bought a hornet 🐝 !

Kit or XB?

5 minutes ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Kit or XB?

I went with the XB. I got it for under $200 NIB. The kit was going to be $140 + servo, + esc + receiver + paint for the body and driver. I have others kits in pieces right now that I’m waiting for parts in order to finish so didn’t want to add more pieces to the mess I have. I’m going to take apart and install ball bearings as well as the ampro battery cover and transmission brace as soon as they arrive. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I went with the XB. I got it for under $200 NIB. The kit was going to be $140 + servo, + esc + receiver + paint for the body and driver. I have others kits in pieces right now that I’m waiting for parts in order to finish so didn’t want to add more pieces to the mess I have. I’m going to take apart and install ball bearings as well as the ampro battery cover and transmission brace as soon as they arrive. 

Having never handled an XB, I'm interested to know how well they're assembled or if there are any differences to the kit form.  Could you imagine having a job building Hornets all day, everyday?  It'd be interesting to see how it's done.  Does one person have to build 3 or 4 kits a day, or are there half a dozen people building a larger number of specific components - one on gearboxes, one on steering, one on electrics, etc - before another bolts all those components together, before it's tested and boxed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Having never handled an XB, I'm interested to know how well they're assembled or if there are any differences to the kit form.  Could you imagine having a job building Hornets all day, everyday?  It'd be interesting to see how it's done.  Does one person have to build 3 or 4 kits a day, or are there half a dozen people building a larger number of specific components - one on gearboxes, one on steering, one on electrics, etc - before another bolts all those components together, before it's tested and boxed?

It’s the exact same as the kit version. As for the process of building them, I’m not sure about that part. I’ve only had 1 other Tamiya XB and it was assembled great. All the plastic leftover from the trees were removed, screws were tight, all electrics neatly organized. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

I bought a wild willy 2 as a XB because it was on special offer at the time and it was very cheap I then began (over a period of time) changing it and OMG the build quality was amazing or ridiculous because I was fighting with every screw or glued part to get it off even the wheels had their own fight with me:wacko: It was obvious the way tamiya intend things to be built

img37842_29012015204930_5_1100_.jpg

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, moffman said:

I bought a wild willy 2 as a XB because it was on special offer at the time and it was very cheap I then began (over a period of time) changing it and OMG the build quality was amazing or ridiculous because I was fighting with every screw or glued part to get it off even the wheels had their own fight with me:wacko: It was obvious the way tamiya intend things to be built

img37842_29012015204930_5_1100_.jpg

We had an XB built WW2 as well, we used run it quite a lot and it stood to the rights of family life faultlessly 👍

Spent far too long painting this - definitely longer than it will take to build the vehicle! Going in the Comical Frog.

D8AFBCF6-06BE-4DC7-92A0-ABC93A278241.jpeg

AC2F340A-DC27-4A33-9C0C-49802AC73535.jpeg

• Like 8

This morning, I turned my attention back to my JK trail rig project. A few steps needed to be done before the new dampers could be installed and I had reverted to the original damper mounts In preparation 
56008D85-0616-4EE3-9B84-7828191BB6B4.jpg

So on the getting the sliders on. A while ago I had bought a selection of RC4WD spacers and Axial nuts, so glad I did!

AB3F2D75-A921-47AE-BE37-B23B8356EA23.jpg

5mm spacers left no room for the lock nuts after the rod ends, 4mm a little thread so I swapped the lock nuts for thin nuts.

Then on to the sliders...
7BB7A269-FA2F-421B-9B30-AF0289B9BF98.jpg

A bit tricky to get the nuts on with the other links in place. Will have to do it all again one day with threadlock, glad I haven’t done it yet given the number of times everything has been apart and back together!

The sliders provide body mount points - good job too as I had cut away the front and rear mounts!

Next up - get the new dampers on so I can re-fit the 1.55 wheels.

• Like 2

Almost finished removing paint from this old bodyshell

50078693026_5678fb9646_o.jpg

• Like 1

Today I had a first stab at an ABS body with grey primer. Conclusion:- I suck at using spray cans... I’ve not filled the fine details which is a bonus.. but overdid the side panels trying to get into the corners of the wings and the side tread (beetle body) so... there will be some wet’n’dry required...

Next time I might see if I can get the same primer to use in an air brush, the narrower spray pattern and lower flow rate might help getting into corners.. might put a picture up later so I can be mocked...  

• Haha 2

See how I skilfully manage to keep the primer out of the corners whilst build up enough to run down the lower right side of the door...

Ive added some RP wheel arches, this is a dummy run on the monster beetle before i attempt a sand scorcher custom.. the primer really is good at exposing all your flaws...

E21B3562-EF5A-469C-B91E-E7B3187CDF81.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Almost finished removing paint from this old bodyshell

50078693026_5678fb9646_o.jpg

How did you do that?