Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Not on this forum I hope? I know those Facebook groups are full of all walks of life, some of which aren't very pleasant.

Looks neat and tidy, even if the weight distribution might make steering it a bit 'interesting'!

Too light for decet steering but not rear heavy enough for a wheelie wagon?

Bought a customised decal sheet for my upcoming Terra Scorcher build from MCI. It's going to be a bit of an experiment, will see how this comes out!

At this point, unless I forgot something, I only need transmitter/receiver and I'm good to go. Though I should also get a hotter motor...and in that case maybe a prop shaft too... 🤪

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

At this point, unless I forgot something, I only need transmitter/receiver and I'm good to go. Though I should also get a hotter motor...and in that case maybe a prop shaft too... 🤪

I almost finished my sand scorcher yesterday,  was assembling the steering linkage and realised I’d forgotten to buy a servo... also the battery with the hump shape... doing well so far... custom cages and base plate, because... addicted to internet shopping :(

A01FA05E-1FD4-46D2-A10A-0F146089B002.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Wetman said:
2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Not on this forum I hope? I know those Facebook groups are full of all walks of life, some of which aren't very pleasant.

Looks neat and tidy, even if the weight distribution might make steering it a bit 'interesting'!

Too light for decet steering but not rear heavy enough for a wheelie wagon?

Those battery mounts are from the original Astute that used a transverse mounted battery as opposed to the in-line mounts on the Super Astute. Tamiya did at least provide three sets of hole to move the battery forward or backward along the chassis plate for tuning purposes. The Madcap's battery is also transverse (and the body is shaped to accommodate this) so I figure, at best, it should be no worse than the Madcap's weight distribution even if it isn't optimal like the SA's. I figured it might be interesting to mess around with its location.

• Like 1

Finally finished an underguard for the rear end of my TXT-1. The axle parts are so expensive now I thought I'd better look after them a bit better!

resizer.aspx?uid=33435&w=1100&h=&pic=img33435_76202064426_5&ext=.jpg&c=Y

It's much lower and close in to the axle than the stock guard. The wheel are hubs are also directly attached to the brackets so no need for a long track rod between them and a lockout rod.

resizer.aspx?uid=33435&w=1100&h=&pic=img33435_76202064426_4&ext=.jpg&c=Y

1.5mm thick steel underguard that angles up to the front and rear of the axle. More heavy steel on another model, but this has a 1/8 brushless system in it so the additional weight is not going to adversely impact the performance :)

resizer.aspx?uid=33435&w=1100&h=&pic=img33435_76202064426_3&ext=.jpg&c=Y

Steel plate underguard

resizer.aspx?uid=33435&w=1100&h=&pic=img33435_76202064426_2&ext=.jpg&c=Y

Close fitting low profile guard. Also there are threads for the 4 mounting bolts to thread into, so no locknut required to attach it.

• Like 9

That underguard looks awesome @MadInventor. I especially like how you can see the 5-ton Rockwell-ish detailing on the axle now as opposed to Tamiya's method which covers them up.

• Thanks 1

Put out the fire on my TL01B Baja King when the Esc went up in flames. Has seriously put me off cheap Chinese ESCs, could have been a lot worse if the Lipo had gone up as well!.

20200706_184511.jpg

• Sad 5

18 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

yikes, is that a goolrc ? was considering one of those..

It was a Crazepony but look identical to the goolrc, so wouldn't be surprised if they don't come out of the same factory in China.

• Like 2

Finished off the avante black special today very pleased with it now I have the black I'm going to convert the 2011 avante back to the standard diff gears just to compare the performance side by side!

20200706_203625.jpg

20200706_203532.jpg

• Like 12

My collection is now complete!

20200706_203714.jpg

• Like 15

Worked on my TT02S tonight... Most of it is test fitment, no thread lock etc, but it's looking good. This will be a long build thread one day lol. The more you look, the more you'll find.

Teaser 2:

IMG_20200707_034118.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Worked on my TT02S tonight... Most of it is test fitment, no thread lock etc, but it's looking good. This will be a long build thread one day lol. The more you look, the more you'll find.

Teaser 2:

IMG_20200707_034118.jpg

I see you're using the new steering set. Now that kit would look cooler with all blue turnbuckles, blue screws and blue center shaft. :)

• Haha 1

Ruined the paint on my zahhak body twice now but was able to somewhat salvage it. It’s going to be a dedicated bash body pretty much.

6F180913-1B7B-4ADF-B867-FBD6884B9D0E.jpeg

5 hours ago, moffman said:

My collection is now complete!

20200706_203714.jpg

Cough yes but vanquish cough 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Finished paint on second Fairlady Z.. small details to follow but not quite happy with this one.

FairladyZz.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roguet said:

Put out the fire on my TL01B Baja King when the Esc went up in flames. Has seriously put me off cheap Chinese ESCs, could have been a lot worse if the Lipo had gone up as well!.

20200706_184511.jpg

that happend to me also, I did run it on 3s. The connection of the battery + and - shortened.

went red and white smoke. :D

3 hours ago, berman said:

Cough yes but vanquish cough 😎

Mmmm yeah I never thought about that:wacko:........ah but these are re-releases so if or until the vanquish make a return my collection is complete! I very nearly bought a vanquish the other week but I'd just got the avante black so I couldn't justify it (unfortunately)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, moffman said:

Mmmm yeah I never thought about that:wacko:........ah but these are re-releases so if or until the vanquish make a return my collection is complete! I very nearly bought a vanquish the other week but I'd just got the avante black so I couldn't justify it (unfortunately)

Aww, doesn’t the Vajra get some loving?  it might be a bit ugly and unreliable, but it’s still family! :P

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, moffman said:

20200706_203532.jpg

i love the gold wheels on this!! Are they just painted originals?

On 7/5/2020 at 1:38 PM, rwordenjr said:

How did you do that? 

On 7/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, ploots said:

You beat me to it that's what I was going to ask 😁

I mostly used Rustins Surface Cleaner and a heck of a lot of cotton buds.  I also used graffiti remover, but only a little because I was worried that it would cloud the lexan.  I think it probably did on some of the areas where it was used.  The Rustins hasn't harmed the plastic but it's not a universal paint remover.  

The body had a thick layer of silver paint which looked like it had been poured on and then brushed.  As a result the paint had pooled in certain areas and was very thick.  Those areas took a lot of application and rubbing.

Silver paint seems to be more reactive than other colours and I think that's the reason why the Rustins worked.  It also worked on the black paint used on the rear window of the shell.  Once again, I think that paint was brushed on. Just to double check, I applied some Rustins to a discreet area of an old Vanquish shell and the black paint paint came off there too.  I also applied some to a silver painted Super Shot shell and that paint also came away.

Overall, the Madcap shell probably took about 12 hours of work, spread over a week.

I'm still testing the Rustins on other old bodyshells, but nothing has reacted the same way as the silver and black brushed paints.

51 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

i love the gold wheels on this!! Are they just painted originals?

They are from Hong kong a few years ago off Ebay I don't know if they are still available but I took a gamble on them because you really don't know if they are going to be as good as the pictures but I can tell you they really are better and they considering the distance travelled arrived pretty quick I also bought a set of chrome sand scorcher alloys equally as good then I got MCI racing avante decals in gold (the boxes had rc channel wrote on them) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Aww, doesn’t the Vajra get some loving?  it might be a bit ugly and unreliable, but it’s still family! :P

I'm really not sure about the vajra its probably the most parts bin rc tamiya do (bit lazy in its design) sorry to the guys that are a fan of it! But if I ever see one at the right price I'd go for it!

Edited by moffman
  • Haha 1