Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Geez @jonboy1, can’t for the life of me work how you manage to bring yourself to part with your creations mate, but I suppose you can take comfort in the immense joy they must bring to their new owners 👍🏻

That's very kind of you to say mate - appreciate it :) 

I'm a very harsh critic of my own work, so I actually expect them to say its not what they hoped for and refuse to pay. Hasn't happened yet I'm pleased to say, but I sent the pictures of this to the guy I did it for yesterday, and he replied back with "looks good" so it hasn't had a resounding approval! I'm guessing he was sobbing with joy behind the keyboard and wasn't able to type anything more for the tears clouding his eyesight ;) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Ultron approves.

lol was either this or a Carson one. I only wanted 2 or 3 channels. Futaba hopefully better 

Beetle body out of the paint shop. Looks better in life than in the picture... rubbish camera... promise.869BDDF5-6C2A-4428-9172-A5158494F56A.thumb.jpeg.48ca2d27b288fda807190ce9051609cc.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Beetle body out of the paint shop. Looks better in life than in the picture... rubbish camera... promise.869BDDF5-6C2A-4428-9172-A5158494F56A.thumb.jpeg.48ca2d27b288fda807190ce9051609cc.jpeg

Looking good.  I've just started body work on my Beetle shell.  I'm bricking it because I don't trust my painting skills with a spray can.  I'm I'm gonna take my time and rub it down a lot between coats. I've got a couple of Mad Fighter shells to practice on too.

14 minutes ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Looking good.  I've just started body work on my Beetle shell.  I'm bricking it because I don't trust my painting skills with a spray can.  I'm I'm gonna take my time and rub it down a lot between coats. I've got a couple of Mad Fighter shells to practice on too.

Thanks,.This was my first, I used a whole can of fine primer, rubbed down, primed again.. first can of the colour wasn’t enough to paint the inside of the wheel arches, so rubbed it down, bought a second can and went at it again... used second can fully too... I bought a 3000grit sponge sheet thing from a model shop, that works really well to remove bumps and flat the texture without being over aggressive. Also, I think i mentioned before, unless you’re heavy handed they spray cans don’t get into the groove details so as an alternative to an ink wash when you’re finished you can paint into the details the shade colour before priming And it’ll show up after painting. Now I just seen to figure out which type of clear coat to use.. I have no real feel for how each comes out.. I have a clear and a semi gloss to choose from.. any ideas on yours @Fruitfly01? Are you doing stock colours?

7 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Thanks,.This was my first, I used a whole can of fine primer, rubbed down, primed again.. first can of the colour wasn’t enough to paint the inside of the wheel arches, so rubbed it down, bought a second can and went at it again... used second can fully too... I bought a 3000grit sponge sheet thing from a model shop, that works really well to remove bumps and flat the texture without being over aggressive. Also, I think i mentioned before, unless you’re heavy handed they spray cans don’t get into the groove details so as an alternative to an ink wash when you’re finished you can paint into the details the shade colour before priming And it’ll show up after painting. Now I just seen to figure out which type of clear coat to use.. I have no real feel for how each comes out.. I have a clear and a semi gloss to choose from.. any ideas on yours @Fruitfly01? Are you doing stock colours?

Yeah, mine is going to be box art red.  I've bought some clear coat TS13 from Modelsport and I've been practicing with different grades of abrasives to see what they do.  I've got some 2000 grit and a a 3000 sponge on the way, as well as the Tamiya rubbing compounds.  I've been watching various youtubers, but most only go as far as keying, priming, then top coat.  I want to see if I can get a super shiny and baby smooth finish.  It's going to take forever.  I think  @taffer had a good video about painting a Sand Scorcher but I can't find it. I''ve only gotten as far as sanding down the mould lines and fitting the nose cone.  I want to fill in the join with some putty before giving the body its first key and layer of primer.

3 minutes ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Yeah, mine is going to be box art red.  I've bought some clear coat TS13 from Modelsport and I've been practicing with different grades of abrasives to see what they do.  I've got some 2000 grit and a a 3000 sponge on the way, as well as the Tamiya rubbing compounds.  I've been watching various youtubers, but most only go as far as keying, priming, then top coat.  I want to see if I can get a super shiny and baby smooth finish.  It's going to take forever.  I think  @taffer had a good video about painting a Sand Scorcher but I can't find it. I''ve only gotten as far as sanding down the mould lines and fitting the nose cone.  I want to fill in the join with some putty before giving the body its first key and layer of primer.

Mines supposed to be a practice run before I try something custom on a san scorcher.. though I’m getting a little precious about it.. I’ve not seen the rubbing compounds, something else for me to explore.. Though if I did any more rubbing I’d definitely need more paint and it’s getting expensive :) I have an airbrush I’m learning to use too, would definitely be the weapon of choice next time, cheaper with cans and way more control.

I sanded down some of the mould lines, though to be honest I gave up on the ones that are vertical from the front wing (in front of fuel cap) its a mismatch in the mould and a really big step. I’d not even thought about joining and filling the nose on.. now I wish I had, I thought it was supposed to be a separate panel.. I don’t know much about real beetles... If I don’t make this a separate colour/texture on the sand scorcher I‘ll do it then, hopefully you’ll have progress pics up before then to show me how :) what are you using as filling putty? Miliput? I tried plastic filler by Revel, mixed feelings about it, its ok but hard to work with, you don’t get long to smooth it down before it goes hard and it’s soooo toxic smelling.

3 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Mines supposed to be a practice run before I try something custom on a san scorcher.. though I’m getting a little precious about it.. I’ve not seen the rubbing compounds, something else for me to explore.. Though if I did any more rubbing I’d definitely need more paint and it’s getting expensive :) I have an airbrush I’m learning to use too, would definitely be the weapon of choice next time, cheaper with cans and way more control.

I sanded down some of the mould lines, though to be honest I gave up on the ones that are vertical from the front wing (in front of fuel cap) its a mismatch in the mould and a really big step. I’d not even thought about joining and filling the nose on.. now I wish I had, I thought it was supposed to be a separate panel.. I don’t know much about real beetles... If I don’t make this a separate colour/texture on the sand scorcher I‘ll do it then, hopefully you’ll have progress pics up before then to show me how :) what are you using as filling putty? Miliput? I tried plastic filler by Revel, mixed feelings about it, its ok but hard to work with, you don’t get long to smooth it down before it goes hard and it’s soooo toxic smelling.

I've been wondering about that vertical line at the front.  I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there,  considering how big it is.  The one at the rear was obviously a mould line, but the front one...  I'll have another look at it.  I know nothing about Beetles and Baja bugs, but I just don't like the way the nose sits against the body.  It leaves a defined step and there are a few tiny gaps that could do with being filled in. Once I've sorted that out, I might engrave a panel line back in to it to add a little definition.   I'm waiting for some Tamiya putty.  Since I'm fairly new to hard bodies, I though I'd stick to brand I know and trust with modelling tools and accessories.

I'll be posting progress pics, but they'll be quite sporadic.  I'm still waiting for materials, and I intend to take my time with this.

Another garden run for the Dual Hunter and modified Hornet. It ended prematurely for the DH - started making a strange noise under full lock. Turns out we lost a kingpin! I fruitlessly searched the grass whilst the kid ran the Hornet.

I bought him the smaller Carson Start tx so he could run the DH easily bit he's taken to grabbing the Hornet with its full size Carson tx at any opportunity! Kids, eh?

At this point I'm wishing I stored my spares methodically - I'm sure I have a spare kingpin somewhere.....

The Hornet is bagged up and a battery is charging so my colleagues can have some fun in the work's car park tomorrow...

• Like 1

got the db01rrr back running, got the db01 almost back running, got the top force almost back running. its been a day

• Like 1

I installed CF shock towers front and back on my TT02S, as well as a CF bumper stay. I added a few titanium screws while I was in there. Still in the test fitting phase of this build. I shudder to think of how long a build thread on this would take to document...

IMG-20200714-234937.jpg

I also added aluminum battery posts, fastened at the bottom with 3x8mm titanium screws. I must've torqued the second screw a TEENY bit too much, because it got stuck in there, and now the hex head is completely stripped. I now know the torque limit of titanium screws fastened to aluminum (not much lol)

IMG-20200715-004923.jpg

Bonus feature:

I tested my Deep Impact on a rudimentary stand (a.k.a. Tamico cardboard box) to check that everything is nice and smooth, which thankfully it is. Set the proper steering endpoints and everything. The BZ is a good little motor isn't it:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

IMG-20200715-004923.jpg

I using the same servo in one of my FF-03s. That servo is superb. Very fast and responsive.

5 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Finally forced myself to finish the decals and took a few pics with the new fish surfboard.

DSC_6728.JPG

That looks cool 👍

• Like 1

The new battery for my HBX Devastator came last night in the mail, on my way back from running the Lunchbox at an undercover spot that's normally locked... 

503260192_2020-07-1417_18.34-2.thumb.jpg.c781346add5a791ba6971db7e50500f3.jpg

So with the sun coming out today, the Devastator got a couple of good runs on my little micro course.

1749034224_2020-07-1516_00.30-2.thumb.jpg.38aba08983930f644d0170cd3b190f4e.jpg

And then tonight, the undercover area was still unlocked, so out came the Dancing Rider...

348893614_2020-07-1517_17_39.thumb.jpg.118387752ebee026db491962a3013253.jpg

1769449820_2020-07-1517_16_02.thumb.jpg.5dbd5b95c04e87d3cf71084761958ef6.jpg

The way it leans through corners at speed is so much fun, and the light sprinkling of sand on the fake turf (soft-fall) really adds to the sense of speed.

• Like 8

Dissassembled my new aquired 58100 Top Force and cleaned the first parts with the soniccleaner.
As it seem the car is not suitable to be a shelf queen, so I think it will become a runner.

Gearboxes cracked, Chassisplates yellowed etc.

Seem to be used a lot.

PSX_20200715_182858.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, Fruitfly01 said:

I will reupload it for you.......do you have any part you want to see or do you want to see all of it.

I am Simon Webb on YouTube ;)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

I will reupload it for you.......do you have any part you want to see or do you want to see all of it.

I am Simon Webb on YouTube ;)

Oh, it's you.  Sorry, slight mix up there.  I am actually subscribed to your channel already, so was a little miffed when I couldn't find the video.  I found it all very informative and certainly one of the more in depth body painting videos.  It'll be good to see it again for tips and reference. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1