Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Browsing on eBay last weekend, I was watching a Bullhead up for bid. Well, the Bullhead was priced too high I guess. It appeared brand new and the person that had it up said that her husband passed away recently and she was auctioning it off. It was 200 with radio, esc and it looked new. I was watching, no one bought it. So "make offer" was added when it came back up and I threw out $175 just for the heck of it and ended up with it. I think the killer on it was the $50 shipping. I figured for $225 it seemed worth it.  So now I have a Clodbuster, Super Clodbuster, NIB Bullhead for the soon to be here Thunder Tech Racing Tremor Pro chassis, and this Bullhead when it arrives. RC greed at its finest. 

• Like 2

Not reall today but the last 70 odd todays I havent done much RC stuff or posting. A little bit of 1/24 scale modelling. What I have done is rebuilt my modelling space. Having persuaded Mrs BD that we no longer needed the single bed in the room that I model in it was onto Ikea and an order placed for new workspace items. Covid got in the way of several deliveries so took much longer than usual to aquire all the bits needed. My original area was about as wide as the window in the first picture, but with all my tools etc piled up either side so was only about 2 feet wide. After re modelling its grow considerably. I now feel I have enough space to start my Sheridan. Am planning to start it in September, as I still have a few little bits to do.

IMG_2037.JPG.936c2bf45c7e8c3f2fc264debb013be9.JPGIMG_2039.JPG.e174298cf937282aae9871bc109e6a95.JPGIMG_2040.JPG.6452372f8575416d074f991f250985f4.JPGIMG_2041.JPG.927be13b8f907561b8afd622fe87ebde.JPGIMG_2042.JPG.501c57bd5ee438416136bf3a0f8d47a3.JPG

Edited by Busdriver
missed a bit
  • Like 21

19 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Are you using your body on a runner or a shelf queen? I'm sad to say that if it is the former you may be wasting you effort.:( I first filled this gap on my first Schorcher back in the early 80's and have done several sincce and in every case they only need a slight front end impact and the shock cracks the joint. I have never tried it but it might last longer if you can find some way of melting the two together. There is a method where you use plastic sprue and a dremmel to weld the joint with molten plastic?

Chances are, after the time and effort I put in to this shell, it will not be a runner - unless I nause it right up!  I'll get another body for running. and just keep it basic and usable.

For a few weeks I've been trying to strip the paint from an old, used, beaten Baja Champ shell.  It has been painted in a less than pleasant orange by the previous owner and it needs to go.  It's less important now that I have a brand new shell, but still it's an excuse to experiment with paint removal from polycarbonate.

What has worked for me on certain paints, is Rustins Surface Cleaner.  It seems to work on brushed paints and hasn't damaged any plastic I've applied it to.   However it hasn't shifted the orange paint or even made a dent.  No product has.

Today I got some Tamiya paint remover and thought I'd give it a go.  I tried it on an old King Cab shell and it worked.  The paint just came away with some gentle rubbing.  Excellent.  It's time to try it on the Baja Champ shell.  Using a cotton bud, I applied the paint remover to the shell and spread it around, expecting to see instant results.  Nothing happened.  No lifting or peeling.  Nothing!  That orange must be some sort of super paint to resist various spirits and compounds flung at it.  I was stumped so I left the product on to soak.  A few hours should do it.  Nope!  Does the military know about this paint?  Despite the colour, I'm sure it will be useful in extreme circumstances - bomb proofing, anti radiation suits, Knight Rider - that sort of thing.

When I came back to it i found that some of the paint remover had manged to work its way through the cracks in the body to outside which had become sticky to the touch.  As I was prodding away at it, my finger started to turn orange, and small clear areas started to appear on the polycarbonate.  

It turns out that the previous owner of the car had painted the shell on the outside.  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

I am waiting for one of these!!!!!

13 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I bought a BNIB Kumamon & hat, plus unused decal/sticker sheet for a WR02G Kumamon tractor, for AUD$40 posted. I think I'm finally at this stage of Covid boredom where I buy random stuff, but I have a very specific plan for this driver figure...

He's going to go in this car (when it's available later this year):

J4-1%20W600[1].jpg

Thats a Jimny?

I want this, what chassis is it on?

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Are you using your body on a runner or a shelf queen? I'm sad to say that if it is the former you may be wasting you effort.:( I first filled this gap on my first Schorcher back in the early 80's and have done several sincce and in every case they only need a slight front end impact and the shock cracks the joint. I have never tried it but it might last longer if you can find some way of melting the two together. There is a method where you use plastic sprue and a dremmel to weld the joint with molten plastic?

This the one I’ve seen ‘plastic welding’ using a soldering iron and plastic ties, I wonder if it’s the same type of plastic / rc body is thick enough.

I just about finished the chassis of my first M, the M07. Of course I couldn't help but include a 'few' hopups here and there :). I had my eye on an M07R, but that went out of stock just as I was ordering it, so I optioned up an M07 with most of the same things that come with the R, and then some. I did make one mistake though. The TRF black coated shocks turned out to need the "Short carbon shock tower" and not the standard ones, because right now the suspension arms are lifted upwards, with maybe a mm or 2 of ground clearance before compression(!). So those are going to be fixed up before I try running it. I intalled a HW 1060 esc, RUDDOG low-pro servo, sport tuned motor, and an antenna-less reciever for a cleaner look. Oh, and another reason I can't actually run it: I had no CLUE that this chassis came with no tires and inserts haha....

Pic for your viewing pleasure:

IMG-20200725-132734.jpg

• Like 10

My Trigger’s Broom MB was starting to become unreliable with the 30 year old receiver not wanting to play with the  more modern ESC, so this afternoon I converted to 2.4 with an additional Flysky receiver and at the same time popped in a decent Savox servo. Unsurprisingly the steering is now a world apart from the original Acoms servo that was still soldiering on.

The new receiver is so small and light that I chose to pop it on top of the old Acoms one which was left in for the nostalgia and it actually makes an ideal mount! I’ve also decided to leave the old aerial in place for a classic look.

1E93DB59-598E-425F-AEC8-7B813F305103.jpeg

• Like 2

Ditched the paint brushes and painted hornet driver using only acrylic paint pens. This is so much easier than brushes !!! 

A8ADE094-003B-41D4-A044-98920DA8B6AD.jpeg

• Like 5

Went racing today, onroad, outdoors on asphalt. It was a great day. The club runs a Stars of Tomorrow class for kids, so my son ran his B6D in that which turned out to be perfect as he could jump the lanes which a touring car can't do. A few people commented he could race the TT02 class if he wants so I'll get some rubber tyres and a torque tuned motor for the TT02D. I ran the TRF102 and newly converted TA07/RS7 and both were flawless, until the TA07 dropped a screw in the final.

I was surprised in the first heat of F1, hung at the back at the start and halfway through the first lap was in to 3rd (of 5). Then second, then took 1st and kept it, won the heat by .06sec from the clear fastest guy who had a few issues with his front wing so the 15sec or he lost gave me the win. Second heat i was clear second, about 20sec behind the front runner and 15sec ahead of 3rd. The final was much the same but I closed the gap on 1st, only 15sec off the pace this time.

My TA07 is setup for touring stock 21.5T which is the most competitive with 13 in the field, split into 2 heats. I came last in my first heat, but then realised I would've been 3rd in the second heat, hmm, bad luck put me in the faster heat. Ended ul 7th I think despite not finishing the final, I dropped a screw from a front hub which meant a floppy wheel and retired.

It also looks like a need a new battery, my only stick pack, which is the only battery that fits my TA07 only charged to 8.2v this morning. Luckily I was able to borrow a battery for the day. I'll try to cycle it this week to see if I can save it, but otherwise its a new battery. That RS7 conversion just got more expensive as I used to run shorties in that car but can't with the new chassis.

A side note, there were a surprising number of Tamiyas running today (outside of the TT02 class). Probably half a dozen TRF touring cars and a standard TA07, F104 plus my 2.

• Like 7

Shapeways delivered my new design bearing anti roll bar mount for IFS cars, so the FF03 and the TB03 got the upgrade. 

20200725_110359 20200725_162658

Would also fit a TA05. Going to run them for a few weeks at the track to make sure they are solid, then put them on my Shapeways store. They allow IFS cars to be upgraded to TRF418/9/420/TA07 arms. 

• Like 9

I got up bright and early, and put the finishing touches on my March Bmw restoration. Sadly i couldnt get original decals for this, and i wasnt about to cut up the set out of my original body set, so i got repro vinyl decals from Tamkyo-Reprodecals on ebay. I have to say that they are really good quality and stick well. The only issue, was the side stripes werent long enough, so i had to cut and join two sets.

J

DSC_5966.JPG

DSC_5964.JPG

• Like 8

Started to rebuild and modify too...

rE5xpoGh.jpg

YKu6Rfqh.jpg

108CB85h.jpg

1gaNLMjh.jpg

0ort2aIh.jpg

g8vRPhgh.jpg

HwuhG3Jh.jpg

ObxzZTXh.jpg

Still waiting for some parts and the electronics (HW 1080, SPT 4412LV servo, 21t motor)

• Like 9

Took the Dirt Thrasher for a spin in the garden. After 15 Minutes of running three screws were loosely. I think this is a tribute to its age. 

IMG_20200726_184546_compress42.jpg

• Like 6

A bit more prattling about with a plasticard trailer and a home bodged tow hitch on the Jimny

IMG_20200726_210429.jpg

• Like 6

Had a lucky escape. Put in a bid on eBay for car and immediately regretted it. I didn’t need it, wouldn’t use it and it was going to be way more than would be classed as a bargain. The only good really point was a box in really good nick and box art that really appealed.

It sold for £2 more than my bid at the last moment.

Now to redirect the funds to finishing off my trail truck.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Had a lucky escape. Put in a bid on eBay for car and immediately regretted it. I didn’t need it, wouldn’t use it and it was going to be way more than would be classed as a bargain. The only good really point was a box in really good nick and box art that really appealed.

It sold for £2 more than my bid at the last moment.

Now to redirect the funds to finishing off my trail truck.

OOh the impulse ebay buy. Only beaten in the what have i done stakes by the drunken ebay buy

• Haha 1

Shimming to take the play out of the wheels, feels like 0.4 on the outer bearings all round.

08F46393-B5EF-4916-9125-A34B7062C352.thumb.jpeg.9d5b27834a3272c7890961a3ef4e4a11.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 5:48 AM, Fabia130vRS said:

Thats a Jimny?

I want this, what chassis is it on?

It's a MST CMX. More information can be found on their website: http://www.rc-mst.com/news_info.php?sn=232&rank= . I really like my current MST CMX and have absolutely no need for another one - but it's a J4 Jimny, so I must have it!

Yesterday my government-allowed exercise involved running the old Konghead and the B5 at my local high-school, and I made some indoor tracks to run the Kyosho and HBX mini rock-crawlers as the weather has turned fairly rubbish.

According to the shipping my new Konghead should arrive today.

Update: my security system just alerted me my Konghead has been delivered B)

Edited by lsear2905
update
  • Like 2

Just bought a couple TT02's that I have no use for :lol:

• Haha 3

Probably spent about 50 minutes trying to get a couple of shims behind a steering arm to reduce play, it took a herculean effort to get everything aligned, so glad it’s worked, no more floppy steering!

• Like 1

I ordered another set of longer step screws for the Konghead from 3racing.

I fitted 6 yesterday but I felt like I was transferring the issue of the Tamiya ones popping out somewhere else and I’d still loose a driveshaft or cup when out having some fun. 

I worked some more on my eventual BMW e30 Touring Type-S/SR/R/RR/(?) frankenstein. The titanium screw set, the 26mm sponges, the 30mm sponges, and the hard blue chassis all arrived today, along with other things, so I got to work.

This is where I'd gotten to so far before I started today:

IMG-20200727-234312.jpg

This is half-way through the frankensteining:

IMG-20200728-003916.jpg

And this is after I'd put in the things mentioned above:

IMG-20200728-023005.jpg

IMG-20200728-023144.jpg

IMG-20200728-023520.jpg 

• Like 5