Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Drove a hornet for the first time ever ! Fitted with the ampro battery door and brace so battery doesn’t fall out. 

8F251AA9-0503-4543-988C-A5B14165E945.jpeg

8FF9DC51-1115-412B-AFA6-441B1D5953C6.jpeg

• Like 7

So I lost a screw and flanged tube on Sunday racing, which meant more parts.  The upright is knackered too from where the screw pulled out.  I checked with @ThunderDragonCy since he knows a lot more about this than me - luckily (for me) he is ahead of me in trying to get his touring cars to work.  Could've bought about USD7 of parts to get going again...but thought since each part is a few dollars may as well get a few different ones...and then saw shipping costs (Fedex is the only option really right now) and it was as much for shipping as parts, so to get to a better ratio I added a titanium turnbuckle set (Yeah Racing, so not that expensive) and Double Cardan Joint shafts (which I said I'd never get, but then what do I know, I also wasn't going to get alloy steering but they seem to have appeared on the car).  So I comfortably got past the parts costing twice the shipping which seems a much better ratio, and I reckon I have 2 day to get my story straight about why I spent NZD200 before my wife sees the credit card.

Funny thing is I have about that much to spend locally on a new battery and some bits to convert my sons TT02D to meet the spec for the TT02 class here...since my offroad cars are all sorted now I may as well get the onroad cars going well right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@Jonathon Gillham Those Yeah Racing turnbuckles are lovely. I bagged some for a few bucks for exactly same reason you did! I also haven't bent them yet having them on steering and front end duties, which is more than can be said for the Tamiya aluminium ones i hve had on occasion.

I picked up my first modern racing battery recently. I needed another good stick pack to give me a battery per heat when we race with no power available outdoors. Picked up an LRP low centre gravity battery on offer. Its amazing! So punchy, but its tiny. I had to stick foam tape on it to reach the battery strap! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jonathon Gillham Those Yeah Racing turnbuckles are lovely. I bagged some for a few bucks for exactly same reason you did! I also haven't bent them yet having them on steering and front end duties, which is more than can be said for the Tamiya aluminium ones i hve had on occasion.

I picked up my first modern racing battery recently. I needed another good stick pack to give me a battery per heat when we race with no power available outdoors. Picked up an LRP low centre gravity battery on offer. Its amazing! So punchy, but its tiny. I had to stick foam tape on it to reach the battery strap! 

Those LCG batteries are small eh. I'm fine with 1 battery per car since we always have power and now I have 4 chargers...but need to set the car up for the battery. I wish I had your skills to design stuff, those carbon battery straps you got made would be ideal. I will probably just make one with carbon sheet and a dremel, but need the battery first. Currently cycling my one to see if its salvagable, I suspect it isn't...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Those LCG batteries are small eh. I'm fine with 1 battery per car since we always have power and now I have 4 chargers...but need to set the car up for the battery. I wish I had your skills to design stuff, those carbon battery straps you got made would be ideal. I will probably just make one with carbon sheet and a dremel, but need the battery first. Currently cycling my one to see if its salvagable, I suspect it isn't...

Happy to send you the outline cad file if there is a place in NZ that would make them. Also, the TT02 carbon strap is quite readily available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Happy to send you the outline cad file if there is a place in NZ that would make them. Also, the TT02 carbon strap is quite readily available. 

You know what, I think I have a TT02 strap,  or maybe the TA07 came with one. I should look through the parts sprues...thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, DeadMeat666 said:

I just about finished the chassis of my first M, the M07. Of course I couldn't help but include a 'few' hopups here and there :). I had my eye on an M07R, but that went out of stock just as I was ordering it, so I optioned up an M07 with most of the same things that come with the R, and then some. I did make one mistake though. The TRF black coated shocks turned out to need the "Short carbon shock tower" and not the standard ones, because right now the suspension arms are lifted upwards, with maybe a mm or 2 of ground clearance before compression(!). So those are going to be fixed up before I try running it. I intalled a HW 1060 esc, RUDDOG low-pro servo, sport tuned motor, and an antenna-less reciever for a cleaner look. Oh, and another reason I can't actually run it: I had no CLUE that this chassis came with no tires and inserts haha....

Pic for your viewing pleasure:

IMG-20200725-132734.jpg

That's a great lookin' M07!  

I suggest putting the softer tan springs that came with the OEM shocks.  The white set is really stiff. 

• Thanks 1

Today I made a carbon fiber bumper brace for my friend's XV and a carbon fiber bulk head brace for mine using 2.5mm cf board and Dremel.

l5aiFYWh.jpg

aVIw506h.jpg

r7rttwxh.jpg

Eu19tKzh.jpg

630nX2Kh.jpg

zDaaZUWh.jpg

VdkMO8Jh.jpg

• Like 17

Txt 2 reservoir shocks done. So nice and noticeable difference from the stock ones. I used associated springs and 20 weight oil

FD253F51-76D0-42AF-8669-5C950AD634FE.jpeg

B12E40E0-0A39-4857-80E6-59D6B06CA404.jpeg

• Like 10

Preformed a bit of Hornet necromancy today:

2020-07-28_08-35-51

After having spent a couple of decades lying dead and broken in the back of a workmate's brother-in-law's closet, it is still full of patina, but it runs again!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

So my new Konghead arrived, but I haven't started that yet - that's tomorrow's project if the weather is unpleasant.

In the meantime I've made some portable ramps (900mm x 70mm) which by rotating, swapping around, offsetting and even angling up give me a dizzying array of options for driving my mini-crawlers inside (although I suspect the MST CMX might like them, too)

I've also started extending my outside track, but the empty spot you can see in the foreground surrounded by bluestone is 880mm x 550mm, leaving me a few possibilities... and in the meantime my new ramps fit across perfectly! 

Remote Control Cars2.jpg

2020-07-28 19.39.11.jpg

• Like 8

Primed some NSX wing mirrors, painted some NSX light buckets. 
chatting to a work colleague about unfinished projects made me dig out this beast

FB16-A5-A0-C61-C-4-FD1-A6-DD-83-C84067-F

Ground to a halt a few years ago because I mucked up the sunroof. How hard can it be to paint black plastic black? :D 

I need to leave it out on the work bench now, take up space so I can’t ignore it, and get it finished!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Masked stripes and painted a VTA style body for my TT-01. PS-30 Bright Blue. Used a mix of decals from my A4 Touring car and Hornet builds to complete the look. Protoform wheels to keep it period correct

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200727094005548.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200727094050759.jpg

• Like 9

Made a start on the M08 before going into night shift. 
C0030F87-67B9-44E8-9C52-E7B40F15DF12.md.

And also tried on my new TC T-shirts that came this morning 😁

• Like 7

Today, after long and excruciating communication, I sadly decided to let go of the Shogun I was so happy about, before even seeing it... turned out the seller wanted to be paid outside of the auction site platform, and as much as I wanted it, I wasn't willing to take the risk. Too bad, this time I thought I finally got it... The search will have to go on.

Nothing better than a run on some new mown grass to change the mood!

20200728-211002.jpg

20200728-210825.jpg

Followed by a moment of under-the-tree mysticism... these guys basically came out overnight! 🍄

20200728-211244.jpg

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So I lost a screw and flanged tube on Sunday racing, which meant more parts.  The upright is knackered too from where the screw pulled out.  I checked with @ThunderDragonCy since he knows a lot more about this than me - luckily (for me) he is ahead of me in trying to get his touring cars to work.  Could've bought about USD7 of parts to get going again...but thought since each part is a few dollars may as well get a few different ones...and then saw shipping costs (Fedex is the only option really right now) and it was as much for shipping as parts, so to get to a better ratio I added a titanium turnbuckle set (Yeah Racing, so not that expensive) and Double Cardan Joint shafts (which I said I'd never get, but then what do I know, I also wasn't going to get alloy steering but they seem to have appeared on the car).  So I comfortably got past the parts costing twice the shipping which seems a much better ratio, and I reckon I have 2 day to get my story straight about why I spent NZD200 before my wife sees the credit card.

Funny thing is I have about that much to spend locally on a new battery and some bits to convert my sons TT02D to meet the spec for the TT02 class here...since my offroad cars are all sorted now I may as well get the onroad cars going well right?

Just curious, do you try sourcing parts locally before defaulting to Hong Kong, with the pandemic and all?

13 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Today I made a carbon fiber bumper brace for my friend's XV and a carbon fiber bulk head brace for mine using 2.5mm cf board and Dremel.

l5aiFYWh.jpg

aVIw506h.jpg

r7rttwxh.jpg

Eu19tKzh.jpg

630nX2Kh.jpg

zDaaZUWh.jpg

VdkMO8Jh.jpg

Very nice! I have been wanting to do some parts, but cannot find any carbon locally. Do you call it sheet, board, plate? Maybe I am not searching correctly...

48 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Made a start on the M08 before going into night shift. 
C0030F87-67B9-44E8-9C52-E7B40F15DF12.md.And also tried on my new TC T-shirts that came this morning 😁

I had an incling you were interested in one, didn't know you GOT one though! 🤩 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, berman said:

It turned up yesterday, I thought about using the M05 (Scorched 2CV)I have for the Mini, but would mean having to change the chassis length when going between each one. So seeing as I already had the front wheel drive I went for a rear wheel drive this time. I know it’s sort of wrong for a Mini but I might put a false scale motor in the back. 
I found it in an Aussie shop to at pre-Covid price & only 10 bucks for registered post. So while enjoying a few beers and the wife had left me home alone completely unsupervised one night it seemed like the obvious thing to do. That’ll teach her. 

@berman I absolutely try to source parts locally - but rarely do I have any luck. It's always some obscure part that nobody has, or a part so popular it's sold out! I will pay 50% more to avoid waiting (if it's for one of my regular runners).

On Sunday when running my B5 I lost my "rear hub link nut," part 91416 (for those of you playing at home) - a part so infinitesimally small I didn't even notice its absence, and yet the cheapest one online was AUD$35+!! Solution? My wife and I spent 10 minutes walking around the "track" until she found it! She's a keeper, that one....

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, berman said:

Just curious, do you try sourcing parts locally before defaulting to Hong Kong, with the pandemic and all?

Very nice! I have been wanting to do some parts, but cannot find any carbon locally. Do you call it sheet, board, plate? Maybe I am not searching correctly...

I tried locally but while I found some parts I couldn't find them all, and not from the same shop.  It seems that Tamiya isn't well stocked here, TT02 / DT03 and rereleases are fine, but finding TA/TB/TRF parts is near impossible.  And when you add the $6 courier for each order (since you need to order from multiple places) that will add up too.  In the end RCMart were the best option because I got a wide range of parts so I could try the carbon reinforced vs normal etc to see which I prefer.

I got carbon fibre board from Banggood a while ago.  It has proven really useful, especially for running repairs over lockdown.

https://www.banggood.com/200X250mm-3K-Carbon-Fiber-Board-Carbon-Fiber-Plate-Twill-Weave-Matte-Panel-Sheet-0_5-5mm-Thickness-p-1434023.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=42392&cur_warehouse=CN

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I got carbon fibre board from Banggood a while ago.  It has proven really useful, especially for running repairs over lockdown.

Having seen the pictures of carbon fibre I’d like to remind folks to wear PPE and not just dust masks or surgical masks when trimming carbon fibre, proper cartridge filter respirators are needed. The micro shards of carbon are evil, they make a one way trip into your skin and lungs, the compounds used in binding them can cause anything from dermatitis externally to severe respiratory conditions and cancer. It has been speculated that this material may be the next gen ‘asbestos’ for long term health. Like with asbestos it’s the size and shape of the debris that makes it dangerous rather than its composition. I’ve been a designer of carbon parts for nearly 20 years and spent a lot of time with the poor folks that trim this for a living, it’s permanently in all the pores of their faces and they have a constant ‘grey’ hand. It only seems that people started taking PPE and dust extraction seriously in the last 10 years. I like to ignore heath and safety advice as much as anyone.. holding my breath whilst I spray acrylics indoors and playing with burning plastics... but having seen the shards of carbon dust under the microscope I give this material a healthy respect.

Sorry.. mum rant over... 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, berman said:

It's a board. It comes in different thickness from .05 to 5mm. The ones I usually order are 200x300mm or 350x500mm, and thickness are 2, 2.5 & 3mm. If you order "sheet", they'll send you raw/uncured carbon fiber rolled like poster or decals.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Having seen the pictures of carbon fibre I’d like to remind folks to wear PPE and not just dust masks or surgical masks when trimming carbon fibre, proper cartridge filter respirators are needed. The micro shards of carbon are evil, they make a one way trip into your skin and lungs, the compounds used in binding them can cause anything from dermatitis externally to severe respiratory conditions and cancer. It has been speculated that this material may be the next gen ‘asbestos’ for long term health. Like with asbestos it’s the size and shape of the debris that makes it dangerous rather than its composition. I’ve been a designer of carbon parts for nearly 20 years and spent a lot of time with the poor folks that trim this for a living, it’s permanently in all the pores of their faces and they have a constant ‘grey’ hand. It only seems that people started taking PPE and dust extraction seriously in the last 10 years. I like to ignore heath and safety advice as much as anyone.. holding my breath whilst I spray acrylics indoors and playing with burning plastics... but having seen the shards of carbon dust under the microscope I give this material a healthy respect.

Sorry.. mum rant over... 

Massive, huge SECONDED from me on this. I spent a sumner student job in the composite labs at uni 25 years ago and i dread to think what i picked up in those three months. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

It turned up yesterday, I thought about using the M05 (Scorched 2CV)I have for the Mini, but would mean having to change the chassis length when going between each one. So seeing as I already had the front wheel drive I went for a rear wheel drive this time. I know it’s sort of wrong for a Mini but I might put a false scale motor in the back. 
I found it in an Aussie shop to at pre-Covid price & only 10 bucks for registered post. So while enjoying a few beers and the wife had left me home alone completely unsupervised one night it seemed like the obvious thing to do. That’ll teach her. 

Haha that is awesome mate! I really enjoyed my build, far different from the earlier chassis' ( >M07). Yeah I bet she was impressed! 😄

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

@berman I absolutely try to source parts locally - but rarely do I have any luck. It's always some obscure part that nobody has, or a part so popular it's sold out! I will pay 50% more to avoid waiting (if it's for one of my regular runners).

On Sunday when running my B5 I lost my "rear hub link nut," part 91416 (for those of you playing at home) - a part so infinitesimally small I didn't even notice its absence, and yet the cheapest one online was AUD$35+!! Solution? My wife and I spent 10 minutes walking around the "track" until she found it! She's a keeper, that one....

Oh I hear ya, my LHS thinks I just want what he hasn't got just because, I swear.

But I do check with the distributor to make sure it isn't available and not far away, then I will check the usual overseas websites.

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I tried locally but while I found some parts I couldn't find them all, and not from the same shop.  It seems that Tamiya isn't well stocked here, TT02 / DT03 and rereleases are fine, but finding TA/TB/TRF parts is near impossible.  And when you add the $6 courier for each order (since you need to order from multiple places) that will add up too.  In the end RCMart were the best option because I got a wide range of parts so I could try the carbon reinforced vs normal etc to see which I prefer.

https://www.banggood.com/200X250mm-3K-Carbon-Fiber-Board-Carbon-Fiber-Plate-Twill-Weave-Matte-Panel-Sheet-0_5-5mm-Thickness-p-1434023.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=42392&cur_warehouse=CN

Yeah i will do that if buying from overseas, will try to shop at one shop so as to save on shipping. I don't mind $5 for couriers if I have to buy a few bits locally from different sellers, as it is a small price to pay to get it in a few days, rather than pay FedEx prices or wait 2 months with this pandemic. Just wondering how other guys in the reverse toilet hemisphere are doing 🙂

46 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

It's a board. It comes in different thickness from .05 to 5mm. The ones I usually order are 200x300mm or 350x500mm, and thickness are 2, 2.5 & 3mm. If you order "sheet", they'll send you raw/uncured carbon fiber rolled like poster or decals.

Thanks, yeah our local guy is out of stock, and I only need a little bit. Cheers for the help 🙂

• Like 2